The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+23
mikeygnfl
GSC
Pr4wn
Good Golly I'm Olly
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
Marky
No name Bertie
Breadvan
Duty281
BamBam
CJB
rugbybanter
TightHEAD
dummy_half
Forward Pass
gazzyD
Fernando
Nathaniel Jacobs
twelve283
aucklandlaurie
TM Moot
westisbest
27 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 08 Jan 2017, 8:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Pr4wn wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:Love this Texans D. They're amazing without Watt. Scary.

Amazing is a bit far - they're pretty good, nothing special.

Number one D in the NFL without their best player.

They're one of about 8 teams to hold that tag - and lets face it it's measured in yards...in points the #1 D was the Pats.

No great defences out there this year, just a lot of pretty good ones. If they had Watt, maybe they'd be great...but they don't
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by skins4ever Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:07 pm

Vince Wilfork looks like he's done. Funny how there's a lot of talk about how good he's been fro 13 years (though on downward slope this season), but I've heard nothing about HOF. To be he should be in the running, as he was an unsung hero for the Pats and to some degree the Texans. You don't hear a lot of talk about run stuffing NT's, but any DC will tell you they are a god send. And what about him rumbling down the filed on that pick of Rivers?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 2 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:05 pm

skins4ever wrote:Vince Wilfork looks like he's done. Funny how there's a lot of talk about how good he's been fro 13 years (though on downward slope this season), but I've heard nothing about HOF. To be he should be in the running, as he was an unsung hero for the Pats and to some degree the Texans. You don't hear a lot of talk about run stuffing NT's, but any DC will tell you they are a god send. And what about him rumbling down the filed on that pick of Rivers?

I've seen a lot of people saying he's a lock. I am not entirely sure he's a lock for the HOF myself - a very good player yes, a truly great player? I'm not so sure. He's one of those who gets into the hall of very good
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:19 pm

I don't think I'd put him into the Hall personally. Falls just a bit short
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:27 pm

Going well for the Packers so far...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:48 pm

Dallas have to hang onto the ropes here, hope Rodgers cools off because there's no answers to find on D
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:28 am

This is just fantastic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:31 am

GSC wrote:Dallas have to hang onto the ropes here, hope Rodgers cools off because there's no answers to find on D

28-28.... shows the value of hanging on to the ropes and hoping you can find a way back in to the fight.

Green Bay will do well to win this now. Momentum all with Dallas. Going to be a great finish.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:02 am

That was so good clap

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:07 am

Good win GB.

Hahahahahahaha
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:42 am

Utterly incredible game between GB/Dallas - Rodgers is other worldly. Disappointed at the lack of Jerruh box shots at the end tho......

Andy Reid and Kansas city matched together is like the perfect recipe for heart breaking playoffs losses
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:23 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Utterly incredible game between GB/Dallas - Rodgers is other worldly. Disappointed at the lack of Jerruh box shots at the end tho......

Andy Reid and Kansas city matched together is like the perfect recipe for heart breaking playoffs losses

Ooh, that's harsh. True but harsh. Smile

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm

If Rodgers is other worldly then Mason Crosby must be other universely (which defintely isn't a word!!).

A 56 yarder to win it.... except it didn't... but then came back and kicked a 51 yarder. Rodgers was a mere sideshow...

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:46 pm

That Dallas and GB game was one of the best I've ever seen. It was terribly officiated but it didn't even matter. What a fantastic game.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 16 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm

In more NFC East based hilarity the Skins are interviewing Rob Ryan
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:06 pm

GSC wrote:In more NFC East based hilarity the Skins are interviewing Rob Ryan
Saw somewhere they're talking to Jim Tomsula about some sort of job too. What a dream team that would be.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm

GSC wrote:In more NFC East based hilarity the Skins are interviewing Rob Ryan

Laugh I know, I literally almost p1ssed myself when I read about this.

I mean, we might as well interview him I suppose seeing as we appear to be intent on conducting the longest DC search ever. Maybe we're going to try and pull of a Rex/Rob double headed DC monster??? vomit

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:58 pm

Fan forums favourite was Phillips and now he's signed on with the Rams, Bradley. You'd think it was a Poopie gig the time it's taking. Only thing I can think of is Bradley is hoping for another HC gig. Doesn't happen that often, a HC being sacked then getting another HC gig straight off.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Jan 2017, 8:14 am

Bradley is waiting to see if cable goes to San Francisco apparently to be his DC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:21 am

Otherwise he's L.A. bound
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:35 pm

I think I might be next to interview for the Redskins DC
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 2:28 pm

GSC wrote:I think I might be next to interview for the Redskins DC

Well, you beat me to it GSC... that was the line I was just about to come out with. When failed DCs like Ryan and Tarver are getting interviews, it's only marginally more ridiculous to suggest you and I could get an interview.

Not at all impressed with this DC search. I can live with the pace it's going at but it's the lack of imagination or innovation in terms of the candidates they appear to be considering that's worrying. I mean, Ryan and Tarver? Come on!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 2:34 pm

skins4ever wrote:Fan forums favourite was Phillips and now he's signed on with the Rams, Bradley. You'd think it was a Poopie gig the time it's taking. Only thing I can think of is Bradley is hoping for another HC gig. Doesn't happen that often, a HC being sacked then getting another HC gig straight off.

To be honest skins, it's not far off being a poopie gig. We need pretty much a whole new D-Line, a couple of MLBs and a couple of Safeties, just to get a decent starting 11 on the field. With the exception of Kerrigan and Norman, there is no-one on that defense that you could say is more than average. An aspiring DC would look at that roster as it stands and ask himself if he wants to take a gamble on his future career prospects by getting involved. For guys like Bradley and Petrine who now have big black marks on their reputations, their next job has to work out. Redskins DC job is loaded with risk based on the current talent level of the roster.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 6:55 pm

With Sean McVay talking up Kirk Cousins to anyone that will listen to him and Kyle Shanahan almost certain to become HC at the QB hungry 49ers, could there be enough interest from California heating up the Kirk Cousins contract negotiations to the point where the Redskins are content to let him walk and try his luck on the West Coast???

I know the Rams gave up a lot for Goff but McVay has no attachment to him and was part of the decision to move on from RG3 in Washington so he has previous form for pulling the plug on 1st round picks who weren't worth the price paid for them.

Interesting times....

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 18 Jan 2017, 7:07 pm

Yeah, the Rams aren't giving up on Goff so lets just move on from that one.

The 2 first round picks for the non exclusive tag is likely a non starter
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:13 pm

I think barring some stupid negotiation Cousins resigns on a 5 or 6 year deal, avg. $23. They'll backload it so they can renegotiate it down the line or bin him if he tanks. I doubt he'll tank, but I also doubt he'll develop into the guy that can carry the team.

There's a ton of cap space so I'm expecting a little reasoned dipping into the FA pool to bolster the D, then draft for as many gaps as they can fill. I reckon they'll re-sign Garcon, c. $8M, as DJax is more likely to be cap unfriendly. That would leave a vacancy at WR, even if Doctson lives up to his 1st round status, as we still need an out and out deep threat. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after a WR in FA but I don't see a deep threat that isn't likely to be franchised. If they lose Garcon, maybe replace him with Stills or Britt.

I'd like to see them go after Berry, but the Chiefs will almost certainly tag him if they can't do a deal. I'd be interested to see if they go after Campbell, Jefferson and Bouye. Upgrade DE, S and CB straight off and then go DT & MLB in the draft. It wouldn't rebuild the whole D in one offseason, but it would take great strides and help entice someone like Bradley to take the DC job.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:40 pm

Bradley was waiting on Cable before taking the SD job as I recall
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

Was reading earlier that Bradley had concerns re the talent level on the Redskins D and also Gruden's job security.

Re my Cousins' theory above, I'm just flying a kite for a bit of added intrigue. I wouldn't get too hung up though on the investment that LA made in Goff. McVay will be thinking about his own job security and reputation. He'll be aware of the extra scrutiny he's under as the youngest HC ever. He likely has to win quickly or people will start talking and the pressure will build. If he thinks Goff is guff and has a shot at getting a guy like Cousins then you never know, it might happen. He's certainly had a lot to say over the last few days about a guy he no longer coaches.

I've kind of reached a couldn't care less position on whether Cousins stays or not. He's just an average QB.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:23 pm

If he thought Goff was guff he wouldnt be the rams hc
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri 20 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm

Agree with GSC. Goff has real talent, I just don't think Fishers staff knew how to bring him on quick enough by the time he started. A QB whisperer like McVay can probably get some quick turnaround with him. And maybe get their running game on track. But I think he won't get better than 6-8 wins next year. Given how awful they were this year, that's plenty. As such, I don't think he'll want to laden his new team with a $20M+ contract for Cousins AND bring on Goff. How do you lure Cousins knowing he's the tweener until Goff is ready, and how do you keep Goff motivated and develop him when you're benching him. I think McVay's talk is a smokescreen or he's talking Cousins up because he can and there's no consequence for him. Everything I read says Cousins is a great guy to be around, and maybe it's just returning the favour.

And Cousins is definitely above average. He's had 2 very good seasons back to back. That's better than some greats managed early in their careers. Maybe he'll prove us wrong and build a great career, but I suspect he'll be another Mark Rypien or Brad Johnson and maybe win a SB on the back of a great team effort, or just hold down the position for 5-6 years then make way for the next 'saviour'. Whatever, he's the best we have, and likely the best we'll get for 2-3 years at least.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 20 Jan 2017, 4:55 pm

The Rams were only hiring someone who embraced Goff. They just used a first overall pick on him.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:30 pm

Redskins were only hiring someone who was embracing RG3 when they hired Gruden and look how that turned out.

I'm just mischief making here really but still, I wouldn't be too quick to tie McVay to Goff... NFL is a brutal business.

As for Cousins, I still say he's pretty average. He fell apart over the last month of the season when we needed him most. That for me dumps him firmly in the middle of the NFL pack.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sat 21 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

Oh, and BTW, Bradley to the Chargers is official.

Redskins are STILL interviewing people!!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 21 Jan 2017, 1:52 pm

And RG3 was the starter until he got injured in like week 2, so it still doesn't work
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:15 pm

One half of the clown show pairing in Indy down
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:36 pm

GSC wrote:One half of the clown show pairing in Indy down
Good to see Jim's managed to give up the pills for the new year.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:48 pm

It's only taken him 3 weeks since the season ended
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 22 Jan 2017, 9:46 am

How annoyed do you think the finalists for the 49ers job are? There you are, scrapping for what you think is the only job on the market and suddenly the job that has Andrew Luck and an owner that gave the last guy an extension after he traded for Trent Richardson opens up.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 Jan 2017, 10:38 am

Pagano is still there and the owner is an addict.

Let's not pretend it's a great job
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:02 pm

Falcons 28-42 Packers
Patriots 21-24 Steelers
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 22 Jan 2017, 9:37 pm

well... that escalated quickly...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun 22 Jan 2017, 9:43 pm

This Atlanta offensive line is fantastic. Ryan has been superb too, they look unstoppable, sadly.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm

Great rally from GB. But the defense couldn't buy a stop against Dak Prescott when they got rolling, this week they ran into a buzzsaw
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 23 Jan 2017, 9:28 am

A playoff season to forget
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 23 Jan 2017, 9:46 am

Yeah, the Cowboys/Packers game aside, it's not been the most exciting of playoff seasons. Still I have high hopes for the Superbowl - Brady and Belichick against the red hot Falcons. That's a pretty intriguing match up.

Also, it's just ridiculous the success Belichick and Brady have had together... totally unprecedented. Personally, I find them fun to watch in the playoffs cos they are just so ruthless.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 23 Jan 2017, 9:55 am

It's hard for me to reconcile the Falcoms team we beat the **** out of with the one that's going to Houston. Don't think there was a great team in the NFC this year. Or even a team the measure of last year's Panthers.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 23 Jan 2017, 12:53 pm

Tom Brady will have played in 15% of all super bowls

He's not bad that fella
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 23 Jan 2017, 4:24 pm

I'm hoping the Falcons can win it now. Their offense certainly looks difficult to stop. Jones looks like a better WR than Brown, and they can run the ball, plus their D seems to be getting better as the season wears on. They did what Dallas couldn't do the week before, and pressured Rodgers. Be interesting if they can find a way to get to Brady.

Two good O's, two good D's - shaping up to be an interesting SB. Lets hope...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 23 Jan 2017, 4:26 pm

In relatively uninteresting news, Skins have filled out their OC/DC positions by recruiting from within and brought in Tomsula to coach DL. Forget Tomsula's HC stint, he's proven very good with DL's. With the right additions, may be we can turn the D around fairly quickly. Just need to sign Cousins now...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 23 Jan 2017, 7:17 pm

skins4ever wrote:I'm hoping the Falcons can win it now. Their offense certainly looks difficult to stop. Jones looks like a better WR than Brown, and they can run the ball, plus their D seems to be getting better as the season wears on. They did what Dallas couldn't do the week before, and pressured Rodgers. Be interesting if they can find a way to get to Brady.

Two good O's, two good D's - shaping up to be an interesting SB. Lets hope...

Atlanata's offence is great, New England's is just a shade below it.
The New England defence is much better than Atlanta's imo, not a dominating one by any stretch, but a very good team defence that's well coached.

I think it'll be a FG game, but I fancy NE's big game experience to come through here. Bit like Carolina last year, can see Atlanta wilting under the pressure
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:19 pm

Goooooo Dolphins.

Err, ok maybe next time.

Really trying to get into American Football.
One small step at a time.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next