The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

+64
thomh
RDW
robbo277
poissonrouge
George Carlin
Steve_rugby
TightHEAD
bedfordwelsh
Presuming Ed
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
Totalflanker
Rugby Fan
gavstar
aucklandlaurie
BigGee
Poorfour
Rugbyjk
IanBru
LondonTiger
cascough
bsando
Scottrf
Exiledinborders
BamBam
Tattie Scones RRN
doctor_grey
Knackeredknees
ChequeredJersey
carpet baboon
Barney McGrew did it
nlpnlp
captain carrantuohil
tigertattie
pbuk0
beshocked
SecretFly
lostinwales
quinsforever
The Great Aukster
Cyril
majesticimperialman
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
Gwlad
Sin é
GunsGermsV2
BigTrevsbigmac
offload
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
TJ
mikey_dragon
reallybored
Mad for Chelsea
Hammersmith harrier
munkian
RuggerRadge2611
Gooseberry
Geordie
rodders
propdavid_london
No9
68 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread - Page 12 Empty The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

Post by No9 Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

1) Hartley - Not a chance. Playing like a Muppet, being sub'd each game, because he's not up to it. As it stands, unlikely to go on the tour, never the less be Capt.

2) Alun Wyn - Blown it. Was the first choice (IMO). Set up for him, with Warbs standing down as Welsh Capt, but AWJ loathing of being interviewed and the appalling Welsh team performance has ruined his chance of Lions Capt. The nail in the coffin being his comment this week, that he wanted to kick the penalties but Biggar and Halfpenny didn't want to..... WTF... WHO'S CAPT!!!

3) Laidlaw - Not sure of a starting place as Lions 9, and with injuries, will he be ready for the tour.

which, IMO has pushes Rory Best into the pole position for Lions Capt. With the exception of Brown, he's been the on form hooker this 6 Nations, and as Gats has already stated he would like the Lions capt to also captain his country, Best is now the first choice.

... But Warbs is a good outsider, has he's been there, works well with Gats and has the professional attitude needed. He handles the media well and is starting to show return in his form.

Thoughts...

No9

Back to top Go down

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 am

fa0019 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Could he be any worse that the current Welsh Centres or Fly half?

IMHO no, he could still do a decent job for Wales and the Lions.

Talent was never his problem. It was his attitude.

He thought he was better than everyone else (and maybe he was) but come game time others were more motivated and bar a few exceptions he rarely showed his class.

Its not the sort of attitude you need on tours. He's not exactly going to be thrilled about hold Owen Farrell's luggage like he did at Sarries so whilst in "fantasy" rugby he could have worked but in truth it would be like dropping a grenade on the tour bus.

I think I'd rather have ROG tour again with the usual post game howlers... "I was concussed" or "the bookies had a hitman on me" etc etc.

Rog never made those excuses you are making sh1t up as usual.

For the '07 RWC french newspapers claimed Rog had a gambling problem. Irish rugby nor Rog never commented on it. I suspect it was true but it was never used a an excuse.

Same with the Lions tour. Rog was concussed, he had a hugh bandage on his head but this was before head injury assessments and Lions management failed to take him off. Dont recall Rog ever mking any excuses about it. These days if you take a big wallop as he did in that game you are taken off straight away.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Lions WUM Swamp of Madness No Holds Barred Shootout Thread

Post by beshocked Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am

Round 4 will perhaps be the most influential in deciding Gatland's squad.

Gatland must have been absolutely overjoyed by North's performance vs Ireland.

Many Scottish contenders have likely played themselves out of the Lions squad with that just one game.

Is it that unfair? Perhaps but one of Scotland's best players, J.Gray plays in a very competitive position and many of the others were struggling for inclusion anyway.

Hogg is perhaps the only guaranteed at the moment if he's fit.

If Gatland is going to watch one game this weekend it should be Ireland vs England but he'll probably watch Wales again.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:54 am

beshocked wrote:If Gatland is going to watch one game this weekend it should be Ireland vs England but he'll probably watch Wales again.
Perhaps he's decided on his squad and is trying to find a token Welshman to take.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:54 am

Scottrf wrote:
beshocked wrote:If Gatland is going to watch one game this weekend it should be Ireland vs England but he'll probably watch Wales again.
Perhaps he's decided on his squad and is trying to find a token Welshman to take.

I'm sure he watched both games last weekend. And I'm sure he'll watch all 3 this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 am

beshocked wrote:Round 4 will perhaps be the most influential in deciding Gatland's squad.

Many Scottish contenders have likely played themselves out of the Lions squad with that just one game.

Is it that unfair? Perhaps but one of Scotland's best players, J.Gray plays in a very competitive position and many of the others were struggling for inclusion anyway.

If Gatland is going to watch one game this weekend it should be Ireland vs England but he'll probably watch Wales again.

Sadly that will be true

It will also be true that one good performance for another team, who have been poor most of the year, will play players into the squad

Ah well - it was always going to be the case

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:02 am

R!skysports wrote:
beshocked wrote:Round 4 will perhaps be the most influential in deciding Gatland's squad.

Sadly that will be true

It will also be true that one good performance for another team, who have been poor most of the year, will play players into the squad

Ah well - it was always going to be the case

Could be a blessing in disguise Riskysports.

Less Scottish players on tour means fresher players and less likely for injuries.

Also France have done well the 6 nations after a Lions tour, perhaps Scotland could follow suit.

I am worried about player burnout that will happen after the Lions tour, I can imagine my own team,Saracens might well be completely wrecked by the Lions tour with plenty of players likely to tour.

With Gatland in charge I think a successful tour is unlikely but players will be battered.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:17 am

So Gatland is talking his usual rubbish saying Big name players are going to miss out on tour then mentions England in his next sentence, Basiclly if England lose then there will be a number who will miss out as they failed to perform under pressure therefore are not suitable to get hammered 3-0 down-under.

So there we have it if you are English and want to tour with the Lions this summer, forget it.

Now we know why Gatland didn't go to the Eng v Scotland game.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:23 am

TightHEAD have to see it as a blessing in disguise if plenty of England players miss out. If it's a predominantly Welsh side they'll get pummeled and be in poor shape for next year's 6 nations.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am

beshocked wrote:TightHEAD have to see it as a blessing in disguise if plenty of England players miss out. If it's a predominantly Welsh side they'll get pummeled and be in poor shape for next year's 6 nations.

I agree but its not what the Lions is about.

Gatland wants England to lose and is putting pressure on them, as every player wants to make a Lions tour.

It really Frak me off that he got the job again when he was clearly biased on the last tour.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 am

TightHEAD wrote:
beshocked wrote:TightHEAD have to see it as a blessing in disguise if plenty of England players miss out. If it's a predominantly Welsh side they'll get pummeled and be in poor shape for next year's 6 nations.

I agree but its not what the Lions is about.

Gatland wants England to lose and is putting pressure on them, as every player wants to make a Lions tour.

It really Frak me off that he got the job again when he was clearly biased on the last tour.

To be fair, Wales were one of the better teams in 2013 so deserved more players. Sure he showed some bias but in the end he was victorious.

Dropping BOD albeit controversial did not cost the Lions victory.

I didn't want Gatland getting the job because I just think he's too limited and his record vs SH sides is laughably woeful even if you count the Lions.

Plus NZ aren't Australia.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Has anyone seen Joe Launchbury mentioned as a potential Lions captain?

I'm not suggesting he's the best bet, but, along with Picamoles, he's probably a candidate for player of the Six Nations, so you'd think he should at least be in the discussion.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Has anyone seen Joe Launchbury mentioned as a potential Lions captain?

I'm not suggesting he's the best bet, but, along with Picamoles, he's probably a candidate for player of the Six Nations, so you'd think he should at least be in the discussion.

That's only really relevant if you think playing ability is the key attribute of a lions captain, which I don't. It's about being able to bring a squad together to beat the world's best side in a laughably short time frame, which will be far more about the soft skills than the ability to make 15 tackles and carries in a game, as well as managing the referees. Playing ability gives authority to a captain but isn't enough in and of itself.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Will the Power of Four be the anthem? Stirring stuff.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:43 pm

thomh wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:Has anyone seen Joe Launchbury mentioned as a potential Lions captain?

That's only really relevant if you think playing ability is the key attribute of a lions captain, which I don't. It's about being able to bring a squad together to beat the world's best side in a laughably short time frame, which will be far more about the soft skills than the ability to make 15 tackles and carries in a game, as well as managing the referees. Playing ability gives authority to a captain but isn't enough in and of itself.

Hear Hear

AWJ or Warburton the stand outs

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Lions Official Anthem:

1/Flower Of Scotland: no, a depressing dirge all about a long forgotten ancient  king grudge.

2/Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau: unintelligible words, even for the Welsh fans, who mostly only hum along anyway.

3/  Amhrán na bhFiann: see 2 above

4/ God Save The Queen: see 1 above

so finally by a process of  elimination we find a clear winner:

'Jerusalem'

rousing, intelligible, and inoffensive lyrics, loved and a sung by all B&I fans.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve_rugby Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:
Gwlad wrote:...1997 Jenkins kicks the Lions to victory...
Funny that. I seem to remember Jerry Guscott kicking the series-winning drop goal and Welsh hero Jenkins scoring 41 of the total 59 points .

What ?

Steve_rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm

gregortree wrote:Lions Official Anthem:

1/Flower Of Scotland: no, a depressing dirge all about a long forgotten ancient  king grudge.

2/Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau: unintelligible words, even for the Welsh fans, who mostly only hum along anyway.

3/  Amhrán na bhFiann: see 2 above

4/ God Save The Queen: see 1 above

so finally by a process of  elimination we find a clear winner:

'Jerusalem'

rousing, intelligible, and inoffensive lyrics, loved and a sung by all B&I fans.

Congratulations - one of the most rousing, and offensive posts to appear on here. clap

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 am

Gwlad wrote:
thomh wrote:

Hear Hear

What as Cardboard cut outs?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

Gwlad wrote:
thomh wrote:

Hear Hear

So one who removed himself from captaining Wales as was not able to do it effectively, and one who was put in as a political maneuver to try to secure the Lions captaincy and has been plagued by doubt and mistakes around his captaincy ability AND is not in the top 4 in his position

Riiiight...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:29 am

If either of them get it then I simple won't follow the tour, Gatlandball is bad enough but if his going to be biased again then forget it.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:36 am

The problem is who is the best or who is in form is one thing.

Who Gatland thinks is the best or who is in form is entirely different.

The Form Players at the moment based on the whole of the 6N and not just last weekend:

Loosie
Marler, Vunipola, Healy

Hooker
Owens, George, Hartley

Tighthead
Francis, Furlong, Cole

Lock
Lawes, Launchberry, J Gray, AWJ, Itoje, R Gray

Backrow
Warburton, Stander, Vunipola, Falatau, Watson, Haskell, O'Mahony, Moriarty

Scrum Half
Webb, Murray, Davis

Fly Half
Ford, Sexton, Russell

Centre
Farrell, JJ, Ringrose, H Jones, Teo, S Williams

Wings
Seymour, Nowell, Daly, North, Maitland

Fullback
Hogg, Williams

16 English
10 Welsh
7 Irish
7 Scots

That's a big Squad, but thats the sort of number's I'd take. The schedule demands we take more than normal and it will ensure that the guys are together, bonding and learning the systems that will be necessary to stand a chance against NZ.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

Anybody think that the Lions coaches will be will take into account the Champions Cup quarter-finals on 1st/2nd April in terms of any players staking a late claim? It's one step down from international rugby but there are some very tasty ties involving many of the players in or around the fringe of suggested squads. Unfortunately there's likely to be injuries that weekend, which could give others a chance.

I think the squad is announced on 19th April.

Last edited by Cyril on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

R!skysports wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
thomh wrote:

Hear Hear

So one who removed himself from captaining Wales as was not able to do it effectively, and one who was put in as a political maneuver to try to secure the Lions captaincy and has been plagued by doubt and mistakes around his captaincy ability AND is not in the top 4 in his position

Riiiight...

Have you watched any rugby this 6 nations ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

Cyril wrote:Anybody think that the Lions coaches will be will take into account the Champions Cup quarter-finals on 1st/2nd April in terms of any players staking a late claim? It's one step down from international rugby but there are some very tasty ties involving many of the players in or around the fringe of suggested squads.

Gatland has stated he will.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

munkian wrote:
Cyril wrote:Anybody think that the Lions coaches will be will take into account the Champions Cup quarter-finals on 1st/2nd April in terms of any players staking a late claim? It's one step down from international rugby but there are some very tasty ties involving many of the players in or around the fringe of suggested squads.

Gatland has stated he will.
Cool. Leinster vs Wasps and Sarries vs Glasgow will have some interesting head-to-heads.

Last edited by Cyril on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

munkian wrote:

Have you watched any rugby this 6 nations ?

Probably just the game against Wales (where AWJ was better than Gray) ...and not the England game laughing

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:The problem is who is the best or who is in form is one thing.

Who Gatland thinks is the best or who is in form is entirely different.

The Form Players at the moment based on the whole of the 6N and not just last weekend:

Loosie
Marler, Vunipola, Healy

Hooker
Owens, George, Hartley

TightHEAD
Francis, Furlong, Cole

Lock
Lawes, Launchberry, J Gray, AWJ, Itoje, R Gray

Backrow
Warburton, Stander, Vunipola, Falatau, Watson, Haskell, O'Mahony, Moriarty

Scrum Half
Webb, Murray, Davis

Fly Half
Ford, Sexton, Russell

Centre
Farrell, JJ, Ringrose, H Jones, Teo, S Williams

Wings
Seymour, Nowell, Daly, North, Maitland

Fullback
Hogg, Williams

16 English
10 Welsh
7 Irish
7 Scots

That's a big Squad, but thats the sort of number's I'd take. The schedule demands we take more than normal and it will ensure that the guys are together, bonding and learning the systems that will be necessary to stand a chance against NZ.

Nice to be included but I'm going have to decline. No way would I get on with Gatland.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:06 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:The Form Players at the moment based on the whole of the 6N and not just last weekend:
The Vunipola brothers and Faletau all deserve to tour but have hardly played in the tournament. so can't yet be counted among its form players.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:09 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:The Form Players at the moment based on the whole of the 6N and not just last weekend:
The Vunipola brothers and Faletau all deserve to tour but have hardly played in the tournament. so can't yet be counted among its form players.

That's because the contributions they have made, has shown demonstrably that they have started off exactly where they finished before their resepective injuries. In all of their cameos thusfar they look just as dangerous and influential as before they were crocked.

I personally hope Robshaw recovers too.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:13 pm

TightHEAD wrote:If either of them get it then I simple won't follow the tour, Gatlandball is bad enough but if his going to be biased again then forget it.

What a man baby you are laughing

The lions will be bereft if YOU aren't involved.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12