The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff chat

+33
broadlandboy
screamingaddabs
hugehandoff
mid_gen
geoff999rugby
carpet baboon
doctor_grey
rosbif
Heaf
Bathite
Hood83
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
ChequeredJersey
Maine man
king_carlos
B91212
Gooseberry
nathan
yappysnap
Scottrf
propdavid_london
Fluxy
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Sgt_Pooly
BigTrevsbigmac
EnglishReign
kingelderfield
Rugby Fan
Cumbrian
HongKongCherry
37 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Jeff chat - Page 6 Empty Jeff chat

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 04 Mar 2017, 11:26 am

First topic message reminder :

As LT has retired his excellent pen clap I thought it would be useful to have a running thread to discuss the Jeff games/ rounds. Entirely self-serving of course given my undoubted preference of club over country Very Happy
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Jeff chat - Page 6 Empty Re: Jeff chat

Post by kingelderfield Thu 04 May 2017, 5:07 pm

Chanel 5 to show live Jeff games next season plus the highlights weekly rap and other assorted bobs.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 05 May 2017, 1:47 pm

Quins v Saints game tomorrow is on Ch5.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 05 May 2017, 8:11 pm

Sweeeeet, gf doesn't know it yet but that's the afternoon sorted

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 05 May 2017, 8:56 pm

Wish we had the Saints Quins game here. Instead we've got Wasps vs Saracens seconds......

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 May 2017, 9:20 pm

Last week Sale went to uncontested scrums because Harrison was unable to scrum at tighthead. This week he starts at number 3....

Absolutely ridiculous that Diamond can be so sure that no action will be taken that he can start someone in a position that was apparently so unsafe only 6 days ago that they had to completely negate an element of the game. A loophole that definitely needs looking at.

Leicester's lineout was an absolute disaster, if only they could bring off a lock for an HIA and stop the opposition from contesting the lineout, all the while staying with 15 men on the pitch.

Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop on Sat 06 May 2017, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 05 May 2017, 9:45 pm

That's very poor form from Diamond. He'd be the first to cry foul of the shoe was on the other foot. He'll get away with it because Sale were stuffed last weekend.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 06 May 2017, 4:25 pm

Walk in the park for Falcons so far. 22mins in 0-15 to Falcons....2 tries. Bristol defence is dire.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 06 May 2017, 4:38 pm

Henson is having a shocking game, just doesn't look interested. He's not the only one in the Bristol back line mind you

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 06 May 2017, 4:40 pm

If there's nothing to play for motivation might be difficult. Henson is off at the end of the season, no motivation for him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 06 May 2017, 4:53 pm

Woodward the only quality player for Bristol, looks excellent.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 06 May 2017, 4:58 pm

Maitland yellow card is a great call from Barnes with no tv review following a Wade break. Spot on.

Not really a classic bit of an arm wrestle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mid_gen Sat 06 May 2017, 5:44 pm

Saints v Quins entertaining!

Brain farts galore in the last few minutes.....very tight finish. Saints still need a try for 6th...

mid_gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 06 May 2017, 5:44 pm

Running behind on record but JPD let Quins off massively after constant infringement on their line - looked like he was going for his pocket but bottled it as it would have been a 2nd yellow for Quins and then after warning them for entry into the maul he ignores Sinkler obviously going straight in the side at the very next play ... appalling ref

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 06 May 2017, 5:49 pm

Falcons with 5 tries in the bag. Need to Quins to win by 8pts for 7th, 8th position looking more realstic which itself is a great achievement

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 May 2017, 5:55 pm

Tigers in the playoffs for the 13th time in a row but it really was a steaming pile of dogshit. I'm trying to remember a worse Tigers league performance this season and it's not coming to me yet, despite some of the big losses suffered. Thankfully Worcester's kicking was terrible or they'd have run away with it comfortably.

Tigers massive underdogs in the semis no matter what happens but I'm crossing everything I have hoping for Wasps to get the 4th try. A visit to Sandy Park could lead to an even more embarrassing semi-final than the last couple.

Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop on Sat 06 May 2017, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by mid_gen Sat 06 May 2017, 5:58 pm

Quins get 6th and Champions Cup spot despite losing. Denied Saints the try BP which meant the losing BP was enough.

Decent enough finish to the season for us considering how terrible we've been at times.

mid_gen

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 06 May 2017, 6:11 pm

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:Tigers in the playoffs for the 13th time in a row but it really was a steaming pile of dogshit. I'm trying to remember a worse Tigers league performance this season and it's not coming to me yet, despite some of the big losses suffered. Thankfully Worcester's kicking was terrible or they'd have run away with it comfortably.

Tigers massive underdogs in the semis no matter what happens but I'm crossing everything I have hoping for Wasps to get the 4th try. A visit to Sandy Park could lead to an even more embarrassing semi-final than the last couple.

Only saw the Heam try and that was bad enough. Why we've given Tait a new deal I don't know. He's so far past it. Misses an uncontested catch, he's the only one in the air but gets nowhere near it. Betham then gets handed off multiple times on the way to the try line. 

All we can hope is that TV and Mermoz are back by the playoff. We have a better set piece than the Pests so if we can just cut the errors and drag them into an arm wrestle we could nick it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 06 May 2017, 6:38 pm

I expect/hope that Tait will be used in the centre next season. He's far from a first choice centre either but still has the guile and game management to do a good job there as back up. His pace is truly gone though. It had been steadily dropping off with each injury but this season it has been drastic and most apparent. He doesn't have the acceleration to play full back anymore. His footwork can still evade a tackler but he has no gas to accelerate away after, he just gets caught and wrapped up too easily.

TV is clear first choice full back, Worth likely to be promoted to the senior squad and another full back apparently being searched for - Aaron Morris apparently. Jonah Holmes has played 15 too. Hopefully that will allow Taity to cover centre.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 06 May 2017, 6:44 pm

Congratulations to Wasps for topping that table in the regular season.

At their best Wasps have been outstanding and great fun to watch. Thomas Young and Guy Thompson have been brilliant to watch in the back row almost every time they've taken to the field.

Chiefs vs Sarries at Sandy Park is going to be a fantastic battle. That's the semi that Sarries will have least fancied I think. Especially a week after the physicality of the Champions Cup final.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 May 2017, 7:10 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

All we can hope is that TV and Mermoz are back by the playoff. We have a better set piece than the Pests so if we can just cut the errors and drag them into an arm wrestle we could nick it.

Those 2 would make a massive difference along with JPP. Most worrying is that Thompstone went off today and was replaced by Smith. With Williams, Roberts, Betham, Smith and Tait I think we witnessed the slowest backline any team have fielded this season. Unless the players you mention come back and Thompstone is OK I'm seriously worried that Tigers might not score a single backs try against Wasps.

I hate to be negative though, given the rollercoaster of a season and having 3 different people in charge I think making the top 4 is right up there with the rest of Leicester's achievements. I feel better about next season than I have after the last 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 06 May 2017, 7:45 pm

Roberts at least provided some acceleration. Tait just seems to have lost it. I'd rather we played Worth, he's better under the high ball, can actually tackle and isn't so slow he appears to be going backwards. Smith's injury issues mean he's only of use as a defensive centre, he will reliable hit everything and run straight but that probably won't be enough against Wasps.

Out of nowhere our backline resources suddenly seem very stretched.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Sat 06 May 2017, 8:29 pm

A little perspective for those who get too upset when their team loses http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/26676.php#.WQ4jbrpFwqI

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 06 May 2017, 8:54 pm

broadlandboy wrote:A little perspective for those who get too upset when their team loses http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/26676.php#.WQ4jbrpFwqI

That's just devastating.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 06 May 2017, 9:37 pm

Truly heartbreaking. That poor family

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 08 May 2017, 9:04 am

king_carlos wrote:Congratulations to Wasps for topping that table in the regular season.

At their best Wasps have been outstanding and great fun to watch. Thomas Young and Guy Thompson have been brilliant to watch in the back row almost every time they've taken to the field.

Chiefs vs Sarries at Sandy Park is going to be a fantastic battle. That's the semi that Sarries will have least fancied I think. Especially a week after the physicality of the Champions Cup final.

I really don't think it matters to Saracens at all where they play. If they play their best team and perform at their best I really don't think anyone can stop them.

Exeter haven't beaten Saracens in their last 3 AP games either - managed a draw when having an extra man for 60 mins though......

Focus has been for some weeks been the Champions Cup. Winning that is the most important thing right now. If Saracens can win that game and come into the Exeter-Saracens high on confidence and a relatively intact squad I think they'll start favourites.

No fear of Sandy Park where Saracens have won on a few occasions.

I think Exeter would want to avoid Saracens, not the other way round.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 08 May 2017, 9:12 am

beshocked wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Chiefs vs Sarries at Sandy Park is going to be a fantastic battle. That's the semi that Sarries will have least fancied I think. Especially a week after the physicality of the Champions Cup final.

Pretty sure everyone agrees that Exeter would rather have faced Leicester or Wasps. However KC is surely correct in stating that an away semi to Exeter was Saracen's least favourite option. By imploding on Saturday Sarries mix of starters, second and third choice players handed the easiest semi to Wasps on a plate, and gave themselves the hardest route to the final. Sarries would also have a better chance of beating Exeter at Twickenham than Sandy park.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 08 May 2017, 9:50 am

LondonTiger wrote:
beshocked wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Chiefs vs Sarries at Sandy Park is going to be a fantastic battle. That's the semi that Sarries will have least fancied I think. Especially a week after the physicality of the Champions Cup final.

Pretty sure everyone agrees that Exeter would rather have faced Leicester or Wasps. However KC is surely correct in stating that an away semi to Exeter was Saracen's least favourite option. By imploding on Saturday Sarries mix of starters, second and third choice players handed the easiest semi to Wasps on a plate, and gave themselves the hardest route to the final. Sarries would also have a better chance of beating Exeter at Twickenham than Sandy park.

Londontiger

That's where we disagree. I really don't think it makes much of a difference, playing Exeter at either Sandy Park or Twickenham. Saracens would still likely have to defeat Exeter if they want to win the AP. The final last year was a tough one and it will always be tough when you are fighting on 2 fronts.

I am not saying it will be easy but Saracens winning big away games is not a problem.

Beating Clermont is the most important thing. Win that then Saracens will have the momentum going into the game at Sandy Park.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 08 May 2017, 1:18 pm

I tend to agree with beshocked here. If Sarries beat Clermont on Saturday I can see them doing the double. I also have a sneaking feeling that Tigers may well turn Wasps over in their semi final.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 08 May 2017, 1:31 pm

I can see Sarries doing the double too. I just feel that travelling to Sandy Park is the hardest option Sarries could have had.

Tigers will probably be stuffed by Wasps, however I am glad that Sarries capitulation in the last 30 minutes means we go down the M69 as we stand more chance of winning there than Sandy Park (or Allianz, which was an option at the start of the weekend).

On a separate note, should Gloucester beat Stade in the Challenge Cup final they will take the spot in the Champions Cup play-offs currently held by Saints:

The 20th place in the Champions Cup will be decided by a series of play-off matches that will include the following clubs:

1) The seventh-ranked club from the Premiership, or the winner of the Challenge Cup if from the Premiership and not already qualified for the Champions Cup.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 08 May 2017, 1:50 pm

I thionk Sarries havbe the best side but away to Sandy then neutral to Wasps is a hell of a lot to ask on top of a Euro final.

Wasps have the far easier run in and better results through the season.

Theres always an argument between being "undercooked" after a by week and a soft semi vs being overstretched after a Euro final and a tough semi. I really think the fixtures favour Wasps though.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 08 May 2017, 3:42 pm

I also have a sneaky feeling that Tigers may get one over on Wasps. Wasps look to be flagging now and I think a super aggressive Tigers performance would be the last thing they want.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 08 May 2017, 4:16 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

On a separate note, should Gloucester beat Stade in the Challenge Cup final they will take the spot in the Champions Cup play-offs currently held by Saints:

The 20th place in the Champions Cup will be decided by a series of play-off matches that will include the following clubs:

1) The seventh-ranked club from the Premiership, or the winner of the Challenge Cup if from the Premiership and not already qualified for the Champions Cup.

That's why we let Exeter win Whistle

I'm sure Saints fans will be supporting us as the English side on Friday night...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 08 May 2017, 4:27 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

That's why we let Exeter win Whistle

I'm sure Saints fans will be supporting us as the English side on Friday night...

Tigers fans will be.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 08 May 2017, 4:27 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:That's why we let Exeter win Whistle

Yeah. Been to France enough times, a trip to Romania would be fun.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 08 May 2017, 4:49 pm

Stade being in 7th place in T14. Am I right in thinking that if Stade loose to Gloucester on Friday night that they will get another chance at qualification by playing Saints in the playoffs a few weeks later?

So, Stade get 2 bites at qualification.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 08 May 2017, 4:55 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Stade being in 7th place in T14.  Am I right in thinking that if Stade loose to Gloucester on Friday night that they will get another chance at qualification by playing Saints in the playoffs a few weeks later?

If Gloucester win the Challenge Cup they enter the play-offs instead of Saints (I believe, based on EPCR website - extract posted above).

Two semis:
English Qualifier v Pro 12
French Qualifier v Pro 12

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 08 May 2017, 4:55 pm

yappysnap wrote:I also have a sneaky feeling that Tigers may get one over on Wasps. Wasps look to be flagging now and I think a super aggressive Tigers performance would be the last thing they want.
Tigers only hope will be that Genge and Cole can dominate on both sides of the scrum. Given their form and Wasps inconsistent scrummaging it isn't out of the question. Cole vs Mullan will be especially important. Mullan has held that Wasps scrum together for a few seasons but he's struggled this season, been dominated a few times and given away a fair few penalties along the way.

If Tigers can get their scrum moving forwards and use that for field position then an upset could happen. Even then Tigers 'inconsistent' line-out could hamper attempts to use that hypothetical field position for anything.

With Toomua and Manu injured the backlines are incomparable though. That's presuming that Veainu, Thompstone and Veainu are fit as well! If Wasps can play in the right parts of the field, with a platform then Tigers should get another pummeling.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 08 May 2017, 4:56 pm

Can we please have that Veainu clone KC Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 08 May 2017, 5:13 pm

There have been 14 play-off finals:

The league leaders have won 5 times, been losing finalist 5 times and lost before the final 4 times.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 08 May 2017, 5:41 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Can we please have that Veainu clone KC Very Happy

Laugh Second time I've done that in a few days. If MOC is in the cloning business then let's start with Geordie...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Mon 08 May 2017, 6:24 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Stade being in 7th place in T14.  Am I right in thinking that if Stade loose to Gloucester on Friday night that they will get another chance at qualification by playing Saints in the playoffs a few weeks later?

No.

Stade will play Connacht in France.

Saints/Gloucester will play Cardiff in England.

The winner of Saints/Gloucester Cardiff will travel to the winner of Stade Connacht for the chance to be club no 20.

Stade qualify for the playoffs by being 7th in their league. As do saints. They can be replaced in the playoffs by the winner of the challenge cup if from their league and not already qualified.

As they are also the French team in the final of the Challenge cup they would replace themselves. So not really 2 bites at the cherry.

Speaking of Cherries......

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 08 May 2017, 8:15 pm

Actually it's Saints or Gloucester Vs Connacht and Stade Francais vs Cardiff.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Tue 09 May 2017, 11:10 am

Scottrf wrote:Actually it's Saints or Gloucester Vs Connacht and Stade Francais vs Cardiff.
So it is. After that long winded post I got them the wrong way round Laugh

Connacht, Saints or Gloucester will have home advantage in the last playoff. Connacht gave Gloucester a good rattle 2 years ago but came up short after about an hour of injury time. (from my obviously questionable memory)

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 09 May 2017, 11:11 am

Hmm, hopefully the two (1 chicken, 2 chickens) playoff games are included in a season ticket...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Tue 09 May 2017, 11:48 am

Playoff games are never included in season tickets in my experience. People would start asking for a refund if the team did not make then.

Also they were invented as a way of generating revenue in the first place.

Having said that my experience would be west of the Irish sea. So not sure in Jeffland

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:42 am

I'm not sure if LT is planning to post his fantastic weekly previews for the Jeff. If not, I've given this a bump as a place to post. Round 1's fixtures are:
Glaws v Chiefs
Falcons v Wuss
Sarries v Saints
Wasps v Sale
Irish v Quins
Tigers v Bath

I can see wins for Chiefs, Falcons, Sarries, Wasps, Quins and Tigers.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:32 am

He bloomin better... Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:16 am

I'm with you on that Geordie!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:44 am

Quins certainly struggled against Bristol in the LDH last year! I expect that it will be a close affair in their first game of the 17/18 season.
Pre-Season friendly where both LI and Quins played a pretty strong side went down to a last minute score.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:49 am

Lots of teams have signed new players , ourselves included so it will be interesting to see how quick each team has managed to get their players settled.

I don't think we'll see too many of our new signings in the first game tomorrow.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next