The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eng V NZ proposed November International

+20
No 7&1/2
Portnoy's Complaint
yappysnap
Exiledinborders
munkian
mikey_dragon
Gwlad
Dontheman2
Big
TightHEAD
Rugby Fan
cascough
Not grey and not a ghost
Gooseberry
doctor_grey
Scottrf
fa0019
whocares
majesticimperialman
hugehandoff
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Eng V NZ proposed November International - Page 2 Empty Eng V NZ proposed November International

Post by hugehandoff Wed 15 Mar 2017, 5:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

As much as I would love to see England take on the All Blacks, and whilst acknowledging that England's long unbeaten run is of course undermined by not playing the All Blacks in that time, I do think the RFU and the NZ governing boards are greedy grubby schmucks if they make this happen. Player welfare goes out the window, just because there is high box office demand. The England players will be knackered from the Lions tour and probably missing a few through injury.

This fixture should not happen.

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) has confirmed it is looking into arranging an "out-of-window" match between England and New Zealand this year.

The top two sides in the world are not due to meet until the autumn of 2018.

However, the RFU are understood to be interested in a fixture between the two sides this November, despite the fact the fixture schedule has already been finalised.

England will play Argentina, Australia and Samoa in the international window.

The match could take place if various obstacles, such as the distribution of match-day revenues, can be overcome.

Meanwhile the All Blacks are pencilled in to face the Barbarians on 4 November.

"We are playing New Zealand in 2018," said an RFU spokesperson.

"If there is an opportunity for us to play NZ before then - ie this year - then we will pursue that opportunity."

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Eng V NZ proposed November International - Page 2 Empty Re: Eng V NZ proposed November International

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:07 am

Nz are apparently looking to play a french club side mid week not france twice. More a chance to play their 2nds I would think.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Eng V NZ proposed November International - Page 2 Empty Re: Eng V NZ proposed November International

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:13 am

miaow wrote:Ridiculous proposal. Playing each other twice in the space of four days?

This is jut about the worst way to go about restructuring the Rugby season. If the NH teams want the November Internationals to include two or more Tests against a certain team- basically making it a mini series- that needs to be something that is bought into by everyone, and not just the welathiest NH nations trying to organise another guaranteed money spinner against the All Blacks when they finally think their side is capable of giving them a game.

As it is, I don't see hy you'd want to change the current model, in that the 6N teams typically play the SANZAR nations once, and then possibly another from the Pacific Islands, North American, Eastern Europe, Japan, or Argentina etc. It's great not having to wait years to All Blacks and Springboks come to town.

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick here, but what is the point in this manouvering by the RFU and FFR? Is it purely for the money the All Blacks would bring? Or am I missing something?

NZR clarified overnight that they're in talks re a match on the Tuesday in France, but NOT vs France. Apparently Racing is one option. France did enquire about playing on Nov 4th weekend, but were (like the RFU) declined as NZ already agreed to play the Barbarians
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:35 am

Ah right. Seems unecessary in a Lions year. If you're going to get a midweek game in, surely choose Australia or South Africa?

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:42 am

They could if they wanted. It's nz trying to organise it themselves. Blooding players and money

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11832244

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:47 am

miaow wrote:Ah right. Seems unecessary in a Lions year. If you're going to get a midweek game in, surely choose Australia or South Africa?

The EOY tour will likely have lots of fringe players on it for NZ - so the Baabaas game and a club tour match are good opportunities to look at young RWC prospects. And they'll raise a bit of cash to put towards player retention.

The EOY mid week team could be quite exciting - Damien McKenzie at 10, Jordie Barrett at 12 or 15 (the kid is shaping up at least as good as Beauden, I expect to see 3 Barrett brothers in NZ's 23 come RWC time). I'd expect a few of the mid-weekers to get a game vs Wales or Scotland as well to spell guys who've had a big year
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2