The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Bunce - Thoughts?

+4
Baby faced assassin
Derbymanc
mobilemaster8
Valero's Conscience
8 posters

Go down

Steve Bunce - Thoughts? Empty Steve Bunce - Thoughts?

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 May 2017, 12:35 pm

Personally don't rate him at all and doesn't add value to me.

My pet peeve with him is he gets all excited and agitated when stating a fact he thinks no one else knows or when he 's trying to prove someone wrong.

On the other hand, his side kick Barry Jones is very good IMO.

What's your thoughts?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Steve Bunce - Thoughts? Empty Re: Steve Bunce - Thoughts?

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 22 May 2017, 1:00 pm

I find him very strange but cant fault his enthusiasm on the shows. Clearly loves the sport and wears his heart on his sleeve.

Barry is very good.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 May 2017, 2:12 am

Steve Bunce - Thoughts? Sontaran-bust-from-british-science-fiction-series-doctor-who-on-at-picture-id506230138

Last edited by andygf on Tue 23 May 2017, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 23 May 2017, 7:31 am

A face for radio, he's very enthusiastic and he does love the sport but he looks like an annoying ________ that would talk over you at every opportunity and doesn't think he could ever be wrong

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Tue 23 May 2017, 8:13 am

Problem is while he's exciting and enthusiastic it's the way he goes about it.....shouting over people and always trying to make his voice heard, it's just quite annoying

I also don't think he's the most knowledgeable guy either. Most of the stuff he says are very generic, and the times he does try to be a bit more technical he usually gets it wrong

But again can't fault his enthusiasm which is needed but he needs to find a slightly different approach to how he comes across imo
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 May 2017, 12:27 pm

He has put the hard yards in with the sport having travelled at his own expense around the globe following fighters before he was a mainstream journalist. He comes across to me as a more-than averagely informed pundit who oversteps his remit every now and again because he can't hold his feelings back about anything. I remember Vitali v Peter, and he completely went off on one about the lyrics to the song being performed by The Pussycat Dolls in the pre-fight warm-up.Odd.
I remember him saying that at least three fights were the biggest ever fights in British boxing history- one was Amir Khan fighting a Cuban amateur.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronikara Tue 23 May 2017, 12:39 pm

I like him. Both him and Barry jones will call it as they see it. Not afraid to say a fight is rubbish and don't cheerlead like the pundits on sky. He clearly loves the sport and he knows his stuff. Not as polished as the pundits on sky but that's what makes them dull and Steve Bunce interesting. I've followed him since the days of setanta. In my view, some boxing fans are never satisfied. I don't always agree with bunce, but I do respect him and much prefer watching boxnation pundits than our more scripted friends on sky. Leave him alone and let him do his job!

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 May 2017, 1:02 pm

I agree with Ronikara and andygf.  But I can only take him in moderate doses - he tends to have a high pitch squeaky voice that can grate and he does tend to shout over everything when he gets overexcited. He seems fairly knowledgeable - but that is only in comparison to my own knowledge which isn't particularly great.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 23 May 2017, 1:42 pm

No name Bertie wrote:I agree with Ronikara and andygf.  But I can only take him in moderate doses - he tends to have a high pitch squeaky voice that can grate and he does tend to shout over everything when he gets overexcited.  He seems fairly knowledgeable - but that is only in comparison to my own knowledge which isn't particularly great.

Steve Bunce high pitched? Laugh

He's usually well informed and very knowledgeable and like others don't always agree with him but respect what he has to say, like others have again said he's usually better than other pundits who for me rely too much on hype and stereotypes than having actually watched a fighter or fighters in action. Too many times I've seen pundits on Sky or BBC talk about fighters and it's like they have never seen them fight

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 23 May 2017, 4:06 pm

I understand why he grates with people but I've never minded buncey. He's a character in a world of blandness. Granted you get a feeling that it's a partly created OTT character rather than an entirely natural one, but he's enthusiastic about the sport and adds a splash of colour. As others have said I'll take that over the scripted humdrum Sky model thanks.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 23 May 2017, 4:50 pm

I think the sky team have gotten better as of late to be afir to them

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu 25 May 2017, 6:37 am

I think it's impossible to please all boxing fans when it comes to pundits. Issue is boxing is very subjective so and opinions are often polarised so near impossible to get a pundit that's universally liked. Only one I can think of seems Ian Darke. Ok he was a commentator but he seems to get a warm response on here. The drivel that's followed him on Sky I wish they'd bring him back. He always remind of staying up in the early morning as a teenager watching the Lewis football fights with some good memories (the ones I remember) Wink.

Anyway i digress.... i don't mind Bunce and used to enjoy watching his Boxing Hour back in the day on Setanta. He used to get some great guests albeit mostly by telephone but he always asked them what we wanted to know. Not the arse kissing we always see on Sky. I get why people might find him annoying though and he is a bit OTT sometimes but his enthusiasm and promotion of the sport is a good thing IMO.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down