The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

+63
compelling and rich
Luckless Pedestrian
GunsGermsV2
Geordie
Redman
rodders
whocares
Mad for Chelsea
Poorfour
tigertattie
2ndtimeround
Exiledinborders
Pal Joey
owen10ozzy
Fluxy
carpet baboon
Gooseberry
beshocked
No9
Rory_Gallagher
LordDowlais
bsando
RiscaGame
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
cascough
Cyril
geoff999rugby
formerly known as Sam
chris_501
yappysnap
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
Winzer
hugehandoff
SamTheQuin
Hammersmith harrier
marty2086
munkian
BamBam
Scottrf
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
majesticimperialman
BigTrevsbigmac
Hood83
emack2
TightHEAD
Gwlad
eirebilly
aucklandlaurie
EST
king_carlos
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
kingelderfield
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
BigGee
RDW
robbo277
LondonTiger
George Carlin
67 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 4 Empty Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

Post by George Carlin Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 4 Auckla10Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 4 Lions_10
Blues British & Irish Lions
7 June 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
Eden Park, Auckland

Live on Sky Sports, Sky Sports HD and SkyGo

Referee: Pascal Gaüzère (France)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. FORM:

19 June 1993: Auckland 23 - 18 British & Irish Lions

18 May 1983: Auckland 13 - 12 British & Irish Lions

23 June 1977: Auckland 15 - 34 British & Irish Lions

B. TEAMS:

Blues 
15 Michael Collins
14 Matt Duffie
13 George Moala
12 Sonny Bill Williams
11 Rieko Ioane
10 Stephen Perofeta
09 Augustine Pulu

08 Steven Luatua
07 Blake Gibson
06 Akira Ioane
05 Scott Scrafton
04 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
03 Charlie Faumuina
02 James Parson
01 Ofa Tu'ungafasi

16 Hame Faiva
17 Alex Hodgman
18 Sione Mafileo
19 Patrick Tuipulotu
20 Kara Pryor
21 Sam Nock
22 Ihaia West
23 TJ Faiane/Melani Nanai

British & Irish Lions

Halfpenny; Nowell, Payne, Henshaw, Daly; Biggar, Webb; McGrath, Owens (captain), Cole, Itoje, Lawes, Haskell, Tipuric, Stander

Replacements: Best, Marler, Sinckler, Henderson, O'Mahony, Laidlaw, Sexton, L Williams

C. PREVIEW

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 4 Empty Re: Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

Post by Winzer Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:26 pm

"Are you really saying that he was fit to play for the Lions in 2013 (which is meant to be the best players from 4 nations) and was deserving of a call up over current international wingers?"

No, he was asked to help out because he was in Japan and they couldn't get anyone else out there quickly enough. That doesn't mean he deserves that epithet.

Winzer

Back to top Go down

Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June - Page 4 Empty Re: Blues v British & Irish Lions, 7 June

Post by robbo277 Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 pm

eirebilly wrote:
robbo277 wrote:

Although I don't personally see him as a good fit there, I think his first couple of England appearances saw him coming on at 12. Could do the job in an emergency.

I said earlier (maybe on another thread) that I feel that Daly could make a good playmaking 12 for the Lions. To me, 12 is a key position when playing the AB's as I feel if you try to bosh them they will simply out run you. Play to out run them and they may be taken aback. When Ireland beat the AB's, they set a backline that caught the AB's somewhat cold.

You simply cant be predictable when playing the AB's.

You could be right. He always strikes me as a better runner than a playmaker though, and I'd rather see him in the wider channels where he can make his pace pay.

With a shortage of 12s (2 compared to 3x 13s), it's possible we could see him start a game at 12.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Winzer wrote:"Are you really saying that he was fit to play for the Lions in 2013 (which is meant to be the best players from 4 nations) and was deserving of a call up over current international wingers?"

No, he was asked to help out because he was in Japan and they couldn't get anyone else out there quickly enough.  That doesn't mean he deserves that epithet.  

Scotland were in Australia and Fiji and Wales were in Japan - hardly far away to call up a current professional rugby player who was selected for an international summer tour.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Winzer wrote:No, he was asked to help out because he was in Japan and they couldn't get anyone else out there quickly enough.  That doesn't mean he deserves that epithet.  
They could and did get others out. Christian Wade and Brad Barritt were called up on the same Saturday as Williams and played in the same midweek match the following Tuesday. They flew over from Argentina. Williams was not the only other option by any means.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Although I feel that Farrell would be the best playmaking 12, I think he would be more valuable at 10. Especially since there are doubts over Sexton's fitness and form and Biggar's ability.

Te'o, to me, is too one dimensional (good at making ground but not exactly a linking 12).

Henshaw, always has been a 13 to me but has also been coached into the bosh 12 mode but I still do believe that he can be the playmaking 12.

Funnily enough, I also think that Payne could make a good playmaking 12...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:38 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
Winzer wrote:No, he was asked to help out because he was in Japan and they couldn't get anyone else out there quickly enough.  That doesn't mean he deserves that epithet.  
They could and did get others out. Christian Wade and Brad Barritt were called up on the same Saturday as Williams and played in the same midweek match the following Tuesday. They flew over from Argentina. Williams was not the only other option by any means.

Yeah but they would not have got the WRFU the bonus money for being selected for the Lions...

Sorry mikey, just on a little WUM there Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:

This.

I think Shane Williams is a legend of the game and the use of Shane 'feckin' Williams was because he had retired from Pro Rugby and it was a bizzare call to bring him into the squad, if even for 1 game (which pretty much everyone agreed with at the time!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Am I allowed to mention "Tom Fecking Court" ??

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Am I allowed to mention "Tom Fecking Court" ??

Yes. Yes you are!

I also remember being annoyed that Brad feckin Barritt and Billy fecking Twelvetrees were called up over Matt Scott - at the time Scott was on superb form and played a starring role in our wins over Australia and Fiji that summer. It was clear that these players were only ever going to play one game and would be holding tackle bags for the rest of the tour however.

Oh wait, I forget that win against Australia didn't count as it as raining... Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Ah but they rated Barritt and 36 so highly the flew them over from Argentina. Court got in because he was on holiday in Melbourne at the time Very Happy

Mind you Matt Feckin Stevens made the 2013 tour because he can play a guitar.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:09 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Ah but they rated Barritt and 36 so highly the flew them over from Argentina. Court got in because he was on holiday in Melbourne at the time Very Happy

And because he could supply the crack.

Sorry, I meant craic. Honest.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Back to the game in hand. I think it would be very easy to say that this game is pivotal to the outcome of the tour, that it will set and determine the trend of things to come for the remaining matches.

Undoubtedly it will provide an illuminated expression of the nature of the competition, but could it be a tour breaker?

I suppose that all depends on the performance and outcome on the scoreboard, for example if the Lions get walloped by 30+ points then the improbable almost becomes impossible - almost.

If we can however stand up and battle then much can be gained and standards can be set.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Scottrf wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Ah but they rated Barritt and 36 so highly the flew them over from Argentina. Court got in because he was on holiday in Melbourne at the time Very Happy

And because he could supply the crack.

Sorry, I meant craic. Honest.

Laugh

(but with my Admin head on warning )

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Just one match played and the Lions supporters are reverting to individual
countries.Something that Gatland is trying to avoid individual sides may
well achieve more.
BUT given the poor organization and 3 matches in 10days that is
not a given only time will tell.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Is there a similar beef during the Olympics?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:55 pm

ebop wrote:Is there a similar beef during the Olympics?

??

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Only in the press. If a someone wins they are British, if they lose they are Welsh/Scottish/NIrish.

If an English athlete wins then they are English, if they lose they are British.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:13 pm

munkian wrote:

Only in the press. If a someone wins they are British, if they lose they are Welsh/Scottish/NIrish.

If an English athlete wins then they are English, if they lose they are British.

https://www.stir.ac.uk/news/2015/11/myth-that-andy-murray%E2%80%99s-nationality-is-linked-to-success-smashed/

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Scottrf wrote:
munkian wrote:

https://www.stir.ac.uk/news/2015/11/myth-that-andy-murray%E2%80%99s-nationality-is-linked-to-success-smashed/
So when Andy wins gold the English go, meh?

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:20 pm

It'll happen for a few people everywhere ebop. No nation will react as one amazingly.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Yeah true 7.5, there's a lot of history over your ways. Mind blowing almost. Just trying to tease out a vibe but there'll never be a complete answer. Some like the Lions. Some don't. We love the Lions for what it's worth. The challenge.

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:32 pm

ebop wrote:Yeah true 7.5, there's a lot of history over your ways. Mind blowing almost. Just trying to tease out a vibe but there'll never be a complete answer. Some like the Lions. Some don't. We love the Lions for what it's worth. The challenge.

My dad and his friend went over in 2013, his friend told me that there was absolutely no reaction in Australia to O'Driscoll being dropped (from the team, not on his head Wink ) from pretty much anyone out there, other than "fair enough".

The internet era has a habit of highlighting vocal minorities, and these opinions can be mistaken for mainstream belief.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:34 pm

munkian wrote:

If an English athlete wins then they are English probably from Yorkshire, if they lose they are not British.

Just fixed that for you.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:50 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
munkian wrote:

If an English athlete wins then they are English probably from Yorkshire, if they lose they are not British.

Just fixed that for you.
Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:08 pm

The Blues are gash, Lions by 25pts.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:29 pm

TightHEAD wrote:The Blues are gash, Lions by 25pts.  

No tbh I'm not so sure. In comparative terms they're the weakness NZ franchise and I don't rate their head coach much. In fact they've had a succession of poor coaching appointments, however I wouldn't describe them as 'gash'.

If we can get into their young flyhalf and if Williams (if he makes the field) has a poor reaction to his injury then there maybe some weakness in their link play between forwards and backs and yes throughout the season they've been the least consistent, but 'gash'?

Honestly they've got some wonderfully talented players that will be exceedingly keen to use this opportunity to promote their individual AB's selections.

This game presents an exciting challenge, which is exactly what the Lions need.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:33 pm

kingelderfield wrote:

No tbh I'm not so sure. In comparative terms they're the weakness NZ franchise and I don't rate their head coach much. In fact they've had a succession of poor coaching appointments, however I wouldn't describe them as 'gash'.

If we can get into their young flyhalf and if Williams (if he makes the field) has a poor reaction to his injury then there maybe some weakness in their link play between forwards and backs and yes throughout the season they've been the least consistent, but 'gash'?

Honestly they've got some wonderfully talented players that will be exceedingly keen to use this opportunity to promote their individual AB's selections.

The Blues have been gash for years. This year though they've only lost 1 game to non-NZ opposition. Granted they haven't beaten any of the other NZ teams - but since the other 4 NZ teams are probably in the top 7 club teams in the world (along with the Golden Lions, Sarries & ASM) ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Sure, weren't the scratch NZPB team supposed to be gash Whistle
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SamTheQuin Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Looking forward to seeing the Ioane brothers, both look incredible players.

Is SBW in or is he having to pass a fitness test?

SamTheQuin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:40 pm

SamTheQuin wrote:Looking forward to seeing the Ioane brothers, both look incredible players.

Is SBW in or is he having to pass a fitness test?

SBW is in subject to fitness
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
kingelderfield wrote:

The Blues have been gash for years. This year though they've only lost 1 game to non-NZ opposition. Granted they haven't beaten any of the other NZ teams - but since the other 4 NZ teams are probably in the top 7 club teams in the world (along with the Golden Lions, Sarries & ASM) ...

Yes yes its all relative, perhaps 'gash' in NZ eyes, or an incredibly exciting challenge for the BIL in a one off game scenario?

Realistically if the Blues are 'gash' then the vast majority of all other S15 and professional club sides are either mediocre or simply rubbish which I don't think is the case.

NZ standards I accept are very high.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Does anyone else have an issue with Ken Owens being a mid week Captain ?

Some of the comments I've seen on the official Lions posts are laughable.

His team just won the Pro12 with two great away wins in Ireland ffs.

I can't think of a hooker in better form in the UK/Ireland - Jamie George doesn't even start for England so lacks the experience IMHO
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:50 pm

I dont understand this word "gash".

Does it have some alternate meaning? what is its language of origin? can you use it in a sentence?

To me a "gash" is a cut or laceration.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:51 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:.

Does it have some alternate meaning? what is its language of origin? can you use it in a sentence?

Axe wound, bearded clam etc
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:52 pm

It's also used for female genitalia, but as an insult to mean the equivalent of rubbish.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:55 pm

munkian wrote:

So its a cut but your just inserting an n in between the u and the t?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
munkian wrote:

So its a cut but your just inserting an n in between the u and the t?

Indeed Hug
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:59 pm

munkian wrote:Does anyone else have an issue with Ken Owens being a mid week Captain ?

I can't think of a hooker in better form in the UK/Ireland - Jamie George doesn't even start for England so lacks the experience IMHO

None at all, in fact in my opinion (prior to injury) he was the leading hooker in the NH and seems to be a natural leader.

Really hope he puts in a good shift after his injury as I feel he will be needed against the AB's.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:00 pm

You'd only really have Itoje or haskell as the other options for captain really. Gatland wants to start everyone so just means george will start Saturday injury permitting.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:03 pm

He wouldn't immediately strike me as a captain candidate (does he do it for Scarlets?)

I would have gone with Stander or Itoje personally but no issue with it, midweek captain this early on doesn't matter much

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Is Ken Owens the midweek captain or just captain for this game?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:04 pm

munkian wrote:Does anyone else have an issue with Ken Owens being a mid week Captain ?

He's not a bad pick at all, certainly when you consider there aren't a huge host of good options in the line-up.

Can't speak with much authority on the Irish or other Welsh players, but Cole, Lawes, Daly and Nowell don't do much captaining. Haskell has done for Wasps, but was a late call to tour, so possibly not the best shout. Itoje obviously captained England Under-20s, but I don't think he's done the job at senior level for his club.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 pm

kingelderfield wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
kingelderfield wrote:

Yes yes its all relative, perhaps 'gash' in NZ eyes, or an incredibly exciting challenge for the BIL in a one off game scenario?

Realistically if the Blues are 'gash' then the vast majority of all other S15 and professional club sides are either mediocre or simply rubbish which I don't think is the case.

NZ standards I accept are very high.

Sorry mate, I meant gash up until this year* - over 2012-2015 they placed 12th, 10th, 10th, 14th in Super 15 then 11th in Super 18 last year. This year if the Brumbies weren't guaranteed a spot in the playoffs as top Aussie qualifier the Blues would be looking at a decent chance for 8th place overall, instead they're guaranteed 9th.

*Arguably they improved last year to a level above "gash" too
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Who was it who captained the Scarlets to those famous victories? Wink kiss

Nah I have no problem with Ken Owens captaining the Lions. He is a great player and fully deserves this honour. I wish him well.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:14 pm

To be fair, Owens did not really contribute to those play-off wins. I have no problem with him as midweek captain - but could it mean he is now not a front runner for the test berth?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Gatland does know he could pick a non-Welsh midweek captain.

Does the WRU get extra money if their players are Captains?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:32 pm

eirebilly wrote:Is Ken Owens the midweek captain or just captain for this game?

Just this game I believe. He might get more, but it depends what team he plays in next.

LondonTiger wrote:

To be fair, Owens did not really contribute to those play-off wins. I have no problem with him as midweek captain - but could it mean he is now not a front runner for the test berth?

As above, I think this captaincy is a one-off. If Owens smashes it I think his next start will be against the Maori, and then the test series.

If you look at the last tour; O'Driscoll captained the first two midweek games, but when he shifted to the Saturday team ahead of the test series, Best and Parling were named as captains for the next two fixtures - although Parling was replaced by Lydiate when he was called up to the second test squad.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:58 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Gatland does know he could pick a non-Welsh midweek captain.

Does the WRU get extra money if their players are Captains?
Broken Record

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:00 pm

On that note, forgot to congratulate AWJ and Warburton on their first victory vs Kiwi opposition!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:02 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Henderson is one player that just marked himself out as a midweek player; there is no time for an opportunity for second chances here, he played poorly against a scratch team and was beaten for the try. Not a Lions tests lock. Hogg also seemed ponderous. Clearly the test 2nd row should be Itoje and Kruis - we can't allow the lineout  to fall apart as it did in 05 - I'd have AWJ on the bench  as he needs to start another game otherwise Lawes may be the better option for impact, though he has been questionable when recycling possession.

Gwlad 

Henderson may not of been that great in this match. But in all honesty AWJ was pants all the way through.

So if you say Henderson has marked himself out of the midweek games, then surely you must also rule out AWJ. Unless it is because he is Welsh is the reason you are defending him, and his performance.  AWJ should not be given any more chances to prove himself than any one else.

I do agree the first starting test locks should be Itoje and Kruis.

You have written him off since before he was even selected. If anyone, but especially you, takes the trouble to watch he was excellent at the breakdown and in defence in the 2nd half, a trademark of his.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next