The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP PLAY OFF

5 posters

Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP PLAY OFF Empty SURREY VS YORKSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP PLAY OFF

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Surrey have named a fourteen-man squad for the Royal London One Day Cup play-off with Yorkshire at Headingley.
Seam bowler Jade Dernbach returns to the side Very Happy after missing the end of the competition’s group stage with a back problem and his fellow fast bowler Tom Curran also returns to the side after being rested for the Guildford Festival.
The action at Headingley is due to get underway at 2pm and the game will be broadcast live on Sky Sports 2
Full Surrey Squad
Gareth Batty (captain)
Rory Burns
Scott Borthwick
Sam Curran
Tom Curran
Jade Dernbach
Ben Foakes (wk)
Mark Footitt
Stuart Meaker
Ollie Pope
Ravi Rampaul
Kumar Sangakkara
Dominic Sibley
Mark Stoneman
Footitt and Sibley plus Meaker or Ravioli to miss out, toss of a coin for the last spot
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP PLAY OFF Empty Re: SURREY VS YORKSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP PLAY OFF

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Yorkshire Squad:

Ballance
Bresnan
Brooks
Carver
Coad
Fisher
Handscomb
Leaning
Lees
Lyth
Patterson
Rafiq
Rhodes
Waite

Of those, Carver and Rhodes to probably miss out, then one of Brooks and Patterson.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP PLAY OFF Empty Re: SURREY VS YORKSHIRE ROYAL LONDON CUP PLAY OFF

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm

cheers tiger OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Yorkshire will need some major contributions from the senior players to make this competetive. On paper Surrey appreciably stronger I feel.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Yorkshire will need some major contributions from the senior players to make this competetive. On paper Surrey appreciably stronger I feel.

Tiger - they normally are. It's when they get on the field, Surrey have problems. Thanks from me as well for posting the Yorks squad.

JimBob - thanks for the thread. Dernbach ''in with a decent chance'' of playing was the word at Guildford this morning (before the squad was announced) from a local pressman. Wink There's a concern he's played no cricket at all since his injury but the feeling is we'll take the risk.

Meaker and Footitt to miss out with the last place being a shootout between Sibley and Pope. I reckon Pope will get the nod - Alec Stewart was doing work with him in the nets most days at Guildford.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Good luck today guys

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Surrey Team
MD Stoneman, OJ Pope, KC Sangakkara, RJ Burns, BT Foakes†, SG Borthwick, SM Curran, TK Curran, GJ Batty*, R Rampaul, JW Dernbach

Yorkshire Team
A Lyth, AZ Lees, JA Leaning, PSP Handscomb†, GS Ballance*, TT Bresnan, MJ Waite, Azeem Rafiq, MD Fisher, K Carver, BO Coad

Yorkshire go with an extra spinner, well sow bowler as neither really spin it a great deal.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm

''Surrey welcome back Kumar Sangakkara after their defeat yesterday in the Championship'' - Mark Butcher giving Sky viewers his expert inside knowledge on his old club. If he had even bothered to look at a newspaper or online, Butcher would have been aware that Sanga played in the game he was referring to.

I don't know whether Butcher is more lazy or stupid.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Tiger - have you watched Coad? What do you reckon is behind his early success? There doesn't seem to be any great pace there. Reminds me perhaps of David Masters, the old Essex bowler.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:01 pm

guildfordbat wrote:''Surrey welcome back Kumar Sangakkara after their defeat yesterday in the Championship'' - Mark Butcher giving Sky viewers his expert inside knowledge on his old club. If he had even bothered to look at a newspaper or online, Butcher would have been aware that Sanga played in the game he was referring to.

I don't know whether Butcher is more lazy or stupid.
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:13 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Tiger - have you watched Coad? What do you reckon is behind his early success? There doesn't seem to be any great pace there. Reminds me perhaps of David Masters, the old Essex bowler.

Not been able to get to any games yet this season. From seeing him last year for the 2nds I would have described him as a younger Steve Patterson. Talk is he is a lot sharper this year and has hurried batsmen for pace, but I was waiting for a speed gun to confirm that. Sadly at work so missing the game on telly.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:29 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Tiger - have you watched Coad? What do you reckon is behind his early success? There doesn't seem to be any great pace there. Reminds me perhaps of David Masters, the old Essex bowler.

Not been able to get to any games yet this season. From seeing him last year for the 2nds I would have described him as a younger Steve Patterson. Talk is he is a lot sharper this year and has hurried batsmen for pace, but I was waiting for a speed gun to confirm that. Sadly at work so missing the game on telly.

Thanks, Tiger. I get the Patterson analogy. He's stayed on a good line and length today but no obvious signs of great pace. That's what made me think of Masters.

Meanwhile, Surrey 120/3 off 25. Sanga looking commanding (he's blatantly the wicket that Yorks crave) but the loss of those wickets has held us back.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:37 pm

250/4 in the 43rd as Sanga is stumped off Rafiq. Good bit of bowling giving it some flight.

The Sky commentators keep banging on about how Surrey are going to top 310 or even 320. However, they overlook that 1 or 2 more quick wickets would lead to us more likely folding for 280 to 290 given the feebleness of our tail.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:41 pm

''Very exciting young talent, Ollie Pope. Likes that legside.'' - Mark Butcher on Ollie Pope immediately after he hits a legside boundary. I'm going to ask for some of my Sky subscription back.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Foakes gone to a catch near the ropes, again off Rafiq. ''Now it's a bit different. 259 for 5.'' - David Lloyd. I did tell you, Bumble!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Sam Curran and Ollie Pope now batting together. Their combined age is less than Sanga's!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:49 pm

Surrey playing tip and run. It's ok but we could do with a couple of boundaries.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:53 pm

278/5 with 3 overs left. We should top 300 from here. The teenagers both going at slightly better than a run a ball. Pope's already justified his selection. Sibley would have taken longer to get going.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:01 pm

We're getting the boundaries now. Pope goes for broke in the 49th with two 4s and a 6 off Coad who concedes 22 in the over.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Pope gone at the start of the 50th. Skies one from Bresnan straight up and it's taken by keeper Handscomb. Impressive knock, playing totally for the team.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:20 pm

313/7 off the 50.

I can't say if that's a winning score but it's definitely a decent one. I would have settled for that before the start and grabbed Tiger's paw off for it when we went 3 down. Sanga excelling once more with Foakes getting another very good score in this competition. I was also impressed by Pope; 37 off 25 was just what we needed as he played with confidence and no fear.

Rafiq was the pick of Yorks' bowlers with 3 wickets for 51 off a full 10. Not afraid to give it some flight and his haul included the prize wickets of Sanga and Foakes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:37 pm

his holiness is a blessing Guildford Sorry

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:his holiness is a blessing Guildford Sorry  

He's having a good game.

Meanwhile, 70/1 in the 15th. We could do with another wicket.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Batty turns to Borthwick. 5 tidy balls and then a rank full toss given what it deserved.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Lyth and Leaning fall to Rampaul, the latter to an excellent diving catch by Foakes. He had to make a lot of ground, the ball probably to the right of where first slip would have been.

140/3 off 29. We needed those wickets. Borthwick doing ok - 0/17 off 4. Do we stick with what we've got from him or carry on?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 pm

As I rather feared, Borthwick bowls an over too many which goes for 15 and undoes all his earlier good containing work. Not helped by not having enough fielders in the circle resulting in a no ball. Excellent awareness by Ballance who leathered the delivery and then pointed out to the umpires how we were at fault.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Batty's length has been wobbly. Sometimes too short and just now too full and swept to the boundary.

That prompts me to mention that Virdi was bowling on an adjoining wicket on the outfield yesterday and getting a lot of turn.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:22 pm

havent followed the match all day so just looking at the scorecard looks an excellent win
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:34 pm

semi final here we come Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:havent followed the match all day so just looking at the scorecard looks an excellent win

After a bit of nerves at 70/3, Sanga and Foakes got the show back on the road and we played confidently from then on until the end of the game. Sanga was as excellent as ever (his hundredth 100 in all formats) and Foakes wasn't far behind. However, we know they can both produce that sort of performance. The one who surprised and impressed me was Pope. A little gem of an innings with 37 off 25. He skillfully placed his shots and ran for his life to ensure we maintained momentum and didn't fold in the closing overs.

A pretty decent bowling performance then came from Surrey. Rampaul with 3 wickets (again!) whilst Tom Curran and Dernbach closed out the final overs to guarantee that Yorks didn't turn things around. The fielding was incredibly enthusiastic. Some good to exceptionally good catches (Pope, Foakes, Burns), a couple of lovely to watch run outs (Dernbach sidefooting onto the stumps when following up his own bowling and Rampaul with a direct hit after a tumbling stop!) and a lot of chasing in pairs to prevent boundaries and get the the ball back quickly.

A strong performance and pleasing there seemed no hangover from yesterday's defeat.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 am

Sanga proves yet again he is such a class act. Four of Yorkshire's top 5 got in, none went on to make a similar contribution. Yet again Yorkshire come up well short of Surrey in a one day game.

Well done to the Brown Caps.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down