The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

+12
Born Slippy
hawkeye
Henman Bill
Nadalnation
JuliusHMarx
alfie
Haddie-nuff
barrystar
chris_501
Guest82
temporary21
sirfredperry
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine Empty Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

Post by sirfredperry Fri 23 Jun 2017, 5:45 pm

GB player Dan Evans has failed a drugs test for cocaine. Just given press conference where he apologises. Presumably faces a lengthy ban now. Pretty awful news.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine Empty Re: Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

Post by temporary21 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 6:21 pm

That's a shame 
Obviously he'll need to be given a lengthy ban

What's more important is that the lta don't just throw in the trash and get this guy the help he clearly needs to get his life back on track

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine Empty Re: Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

Post by Guest82 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

Shame. I'm a big fan of his game, think he's fun to watch.

Sadly, not his first mistake either. Guess he'll get a long ban...hope he can come back.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jun 2017, 7:08 pm

Dan Evans has a history of not fully committing to tennis. As John Lloyd mentioned today on the BBC he has been given chance over chance and it is a shame when he is playing his best tennis - in fact realising the potential many believed he had, if only he committed more. The biggest impact is going to be on the British Davis Cup team - with Bedene not allowed to represent Britain - despite him having British citizenship. Bedene says he might switch back to Slovenia - because his dream is to play in the Olympics. Dan Evans has waded into the issue by saying that Bedene is a plastic Brit and shouldn't be considered British.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

Last thing he needs though is his every mistake being dug up to s*** on him though.
Cocaines a sign of someone on a bad path... he needs proper help, not to be trashed

I dont listen to a word John Lloyd says after his dc tenure anyway

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jun 2017, 7:29 pm

The following is extracted from Dan Evans Wikipedia page.
Born 23 May 1990

2006:  The Lawn Tennis Association withdrew him from the Wimbledon junior tournament for being, in his own words, “stupid on court”.

2008: He played in the boys' tournament at Wimbledon, but was suspended, until November 2008, by the LTA after he was photographed with Daniel Smethurst at a nightclub in the early hours of the day. The next day, he partnered Smethurst in the boys' doubles event - and they lost.  In addition to losing his funding, he was also denied wild cards to tournaments & access to practice centres & LTA coaching staff.

2010: In December, the LTA announced cuts to its financial support for some of Britain's underperforming players from 43 to 30, after raising the standards it requires them to meet. This included Evans, who had been hailed as the country's most promising youngster but had in the past been criticised for a poor attitude.

2012: ... Evans arrived at the National Tennis Centre, to discover his LTA coach, Julien Hoferlin had been assigned to Oliver Golding, instead.  Evans was now unable to afford foreign travel, so he spent the next 12 months playing in Britain & Ireland, at ITF Futures level, as well as taking in one Challenger tournament towards the latter stages of the year.  ...  Evans was stripped of his funding by the LTA at the end of the year having seemingly failed to convince them of his commitment to himself, to them & to the sport.

2013: For several months, there was a possibility Evans might quit, as his parents (ordinary working class) found it difficult to support his career with the necessary £20-25,000-a-year.

April 2013: "I know why. It's because I don't train hard enough & don't work hard enough day in & day out. I'm obviously pretty bad at my job. It's up to me, it's not up to anyone else. I want to push on. It's not that I don't want to do it, I obviously want to do it. It's just for whatever reasons, distractions – I need to stay there & just play tennis & that's it. It's easier said than done. Thousands of people have told me to do it but I'm yet to do it for a sustained period of time. When I do do it, I obviously play pretty well. I definitely think I will be top 100, & I still think that."  Evans, on his own lack of application that has prevented him from progressing further in the sport.

After discussion with Davis Cup captain Smith, the LTA once again agreed to support Evans with a coach & conditioner. He could also practise at the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton, & was now able to afford to play abroad. ...

2014: ...  After losing in the first round of Wimbledon, his coach, Julien Hoferlin departed for his home country of Belgium, & told journalists "He [Evans] has the potential to make himself a top-60 player, but he makes no sacrifices for his sport. He doesn't understand that tennis has to be his priority. For him, it's just a brief interlude in his life."

2017: Evans fails drug test in April 2017 for cocaine usage.

What I am trying to say is - it doesn't seem to be in his character to commit for any length of time.  He seems to be a bit of a party animal.  He has been given plenty of opportunities and advice but has difficulty maintaining discipline.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 7:57 pm

But none of those things make him a bad person
Not everyone can commit their entire time to tennis.
They may see the loss of the best decade of their life as a waste that way.

Him having a happy life is more important than anything else. He obviously isnt so that needs fixing

Even if that means moving onto something else.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:09 pm

temporary21 wrote:But none of those things make him a bad person
Not everyone can commit their entire time to tennis.
They may see the loss of the best decade of their life as a waste that way.

Him having a happy life is more important than anything else. He obviously isnt so that needs fixing

Even if that means moving onto something else.

I agree but he has received a lot of support, especially from his parents who seemed to have made great sacrifices. But you are right - who are we to judge? In terms of British Davis Cup tennis - when Andy Murray is unable to play - there needs to be another British player to step up and make an impact. At the moment there is a big gulf between Edmund, Bedene (ineligible), Evans (now ineligible) and the rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:21 pm

Most parents are happy to support their kids. Even if it's hard financially. They'd have known it was a gamble 

I'm sure dan is upset he hasn't fully repaid them

But he doesn't look a man beyond redemption 

His parents are probably far more worried about their son than disappointed though 

Get him away and get him what he needs

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:55 pm

Sometimes the following behavioural therapy works.  For example if you want to give up smoking - you force them to smoke ten times their normal amount - until they get absolutely sick of it.  When they get sick from it - they associate that sickness with the activity (smoking) and this helps to break the habit.  You take something to excess until it is no longer pleasurable.  For Dan Evans I recommend spending the next three months clubbing night and day, taking alcohol, taking drugs, finding loose women.  Take it to excess.  Eventually he will get his belly full and maybe knuckle down.  

I am sure he has tried many things - but I don't think he has tried the above.  Anyway as you say this doesn't make him a bad person - being a very very good tennis player or not doesn't make you a good or bad person per se.

If the above doesn't work - well I am sure he would find it pleasurable giving it a try.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 9:22 pm

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 9:25 pm

Looks like he'll get a two year ban. Obviously it's not performance enhancing, but recreational. Evans has always liked a party and had probably started to earn good money for the first time in his life. A costly mistake.

Probably opening a can of worms here, but doesn't seem right that he'll end up with a longer ban than Sharapova, who was basically cheating. An adult who has made an, admittedly stupid, decision on a night out gets a worse punishment than someone who is seeking to gain an advantage. Seems silly.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Fri 23 Jun 2017, 9:27 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263682/Dan-Evans-Tennis-star-nightclub-sex-assault-probe.html

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:16 am

He needs help, as much is clear. The more interesting question is who might feel morally obliged to help. If I were at the LTA Iand tempte to think he has a good game and is fundamentally OK so I'd like to help I hope I would remember others who are not so determined to screw each chance up. If there are those who love him who want to support him, great. The LTA should say "over to you Dan, and kiss the idea of any wildcard anywhere good-bye." Players coming up need to know that this sort of nonsense is rewarded with a resounding, "Good luck, you are on your own..."
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jun 2017, 8:55 am

Im inclined to agree.. everyone has choices .. fun games and cocaine or a tennis career. It is not good for him or for the sport, there can be no exceptions whatever the circumstances imv.. I am sorry he has made the wrong choice and hope that he gets the help he obviously needs to get his life sorted.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:55 am

Personally , I don't think sporting bodies should have any business penalizing players for recreational drug use. It seems like an unnecessary bit of moral policing.
But that's how the rules are so the man is a fool to risk his career in this way. With his poor disciplinary record he can't expect too much sympathy from the LTA.
Pity for British DC but they'll just have to wear it and find someone else.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:20 am

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. The life of a tennis player is so strict and rigid for people who are meant be allowed to go off the chain a bit at that time of life 

Without high level like top ten success it must be a terrible grind with a temptation to just let it all go

It's easy to forget how freakish some of these guys are

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:56 am

I agree with that also .. but take the two most successful players of all time Fedal.. for instance; look too at the rewards for that strict and rigid life.. they have both been the epitome of sport and they know that their careers are relatively short. I wouldn't call either of them freaks. Ambitious, talented..and grounded yes but they are both  human and both  still appear to live happy and full lives outside of tennis. Even for those who are not in the higher echelon of tennis there are plenty of pickings to be had for those with self discipline. All sports require some self sacrifice ..it is the price of success.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:22 pm

OK, it takes discipline and dedication to make it as a professional sportsman/woman. But why waste talent? Why not try to make the most of godsent gifts.
   As I've remarked in relation to Kyrgios, anyone can be a complete idiot, but few can play tennis really well. It surely would have been better for Evans to have acknowledged at an early stage that this was not the life for him and he could then have done something else.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jun 2017, 12:31 pm

As I've remarked in relation to Kyrgios, anyone can be a complete idiot, but few can play tennis really well.

He, along with  Tomic and Gulbis Ive expected to see go off the rails.. true Gulbis has been tempted by the good life I think but surfaces every once in a while All of which you ask "what if" ?

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:25 pm

alfie wrote:Personally , I don't think sporting bodies should have any business penalizing players for recreational drug use.  It seems like an unnecessary bit of moral policing. ...
Does anyone know the specific reason why cocaine is tested for and why it is a proscribed drug? If it is not a performance enhancer or a masker - then I agree with Alfie - that it is an unnecessary bit of moral policing - and "morality" can be twisted to mean almost anything.  I think Guest82 also makes a similar point

If it is a police matter - refer it to the police - but sports shouldn't get involved in recreational matters (as long as it doesn't involve peds & maskers).

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:46 pm

That sounds like the start of a very slippery slope Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 24 Jun 2017, 2:57 pm

It's not the hard work that's tough with tennis. It's the extreme celibacy. You don't have a set home. No drink at all. No food. No comfort. Very tough to make friends

You miss so much of the life a guy in their 20s would do. I couldn't donthat

It's all good if you make millions, but few in the sport do 

There's more than one way to happiness in life. Many are happy to unfulfill their apparent talent, so long as they enjoy life. I can understand that

That's not to say I endorse the special sugar. Dan clearly wants to enjoy his life with more freedom than tennis often allows. The Hokey Cokey though tells me he isn't in a great place. Fixing that means more than his career

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jun 2017, 3:28 pm

temporary21 wrote:It's not the hard work that's tough with tennis. It's the extreme celibacy. You don't have a set home. No drink at all. No food. No comfort. Very tough to make friends

You miss so much of the life a guy in their 20s would do. I couldn't donthat

It's all good if you make millions, but few in the sport do 

There's more than one way to happiness in life. Many are happy to unfulfill their apparent talent, so long as they enjoy life. I can understand that

That's not to say I endorse the special sugar. Dan clearly wants to enjoy his life with more freedom than tennis often allows. The Hokey Cokey though tells me he isn't in a great place. Fixing that means more than his career
Hi temporary21 - I can agree with you here.  I think I may have misinterpreted your previous comments too - I am now thinking you, guest82 and Alfie were making similar points.  I accept I may have overplayed my position in criticising Evans.  I think this whole "moral policing" is an issue worthy of careful thought and debate.

So to clarify my current viewpoint - PEDS & Maskers - no - because that leads to an unfair sporting advantage.
If a player is receiving state support or LTA funding - then they need to earn that support by showing effort and commitment - but within reason - they should be allowed recreational time.
Beyond that - I think they should be allowed to do whatever other people of their age are allowed to do - as long as it doesn't break any laws of the land (which is a law and order matter not a sporting matter).

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 24 Jun 2017, 3:44 pm

Im not sure it IS about "moral policing" is it? its about the LTF stipulating about the use of drugs in whatever form for whatever reason .. whether that be recreational or not. it is outlawed and not permitted the players know that. Therefore I think you miss the point. Did Gasquet not get banned for something similar?..his "reason" was he kissed a girl in a night club who had been taking some form of recreational drug and he proved positive in a drug test.  Once opening the door to any form of drugs whether it be for recreational use or not then I think you bring the whole sport into disrepute.  I reiterate Dan Evans, makes no excuse for himself, he knew the risk he was taking .. he chose his recreational habit over his career .. I for one think he was well aware of that.  If he takes drugs to help him deal with his personal problems then I have every sympathy with that... BUT.. you pay your money and you make your choice. I sincerely  hope he finds a solution to whatever the demons are that are troubling him. It is very sad he had a promising career

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 24 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm

No name Bertie wrote:
alfie wrote:Personally , I don't think sporting bodies should have any business penalizing players for recreational drug use.  It seems like an unnecessary bit of moral policing. ...
Does anyone know the specific reason why cocaine is tested for and why it is a proscribed drug? If it is not a performance enhancer or a masker - then I agree with Alfie - that it is an unnecessary bit of moral policing - and "morality" can be twisted to mean almost anything.  

Good points.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 24 Jun 2017, 3:52 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I reiterate Dan Evans, makes no excuse for himself, he knew the risk he was taking .. he chose his recreational habit over his career .. I for one think he was well aware of that.  If he takes drugs to help him deal with his personal problems then I have every sympathy with that... BUT.. you pay your money and you make your choice. I sincerely  hope he finds a solution to whatever the demons are that are troubling him. It is very sad he had a promising career

I agree with all that. The rules being what they are, he has no excuse. I too hope that he sorts himself out. The governing bodies may be able to help, but ultimately it's up to him.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 24 Jun 2017, 3:54 pm

Don't know the real reason

I suspect however it is for sponsorship reasons 

Their prize money is heavily determined by advertisements... which sponsors may pull if tennis has s recreational drug issue

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nadalnation Sat 24 Jun 2017, 7:03 pm

barrystar wrote:He needs help, as much is clear. The more interesting question is who might feel morally obliged to help. If I were at the LTA Iand tempte to think  he has a good game and is fundamentally OK so I'd like to help I hope I would remember others who are not so determined to screw each chance up. If there are those who love him who want to support him, great. The LTA should say "over to you Dan, and kiss the idea of any wildcard anywhere good-bye."  Players coming up need to know that this sort of nonsense is rewarded with a resounding, "Good luck, you are on your own..."

He doesn't need help. He's not a child. He made a lifestyle choice and he can make another one - stay away from illegal drugs. A line or even a few of charlie is not a requisite for intervention - otherwise there'd be tens of thousands of people up and down the country requiring treatment. He made a stupid mistake, got caught, owned up to it, and now it's up to him make amends. Treating it like some kind of disease that needs help will only serve to transfer responsibility once again - something Evans seems to be quite good at doing.

All of this assuming he's not an addict, in which case of course professional would be desirable.

Nadalnation

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 24 Jun 2017, 7:32 pm

Who called it a disease? 

Everyone needs a guiding hand now and then

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nadalnation Sat 24 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

The assumption is that he has a major problem that needs help. Maybe he just likes to take a line of coke once in a while for a bit of fun. Ergo it's a stupid mistake to make for someone in his situation knowing that he could be randomly drug tested. Its not necessarily indicative of a longstanding addiction or problem that needs help - which seems to be the assumption that's being made.

Nadalnation

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 24 Jun 2017, 10:18 pm

You ever seen someone with just a healthy casual coke habit?

It may well have been just once, but given his troubles before this it sounds like he's got stuff he needs to get through

And I hope he does. He seems a good bloke

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Jun 2017, 11:28 pm

It seems the majority of people who use cocaine recreationally don't go on to become junkies.

Here is something from yahoo questions and answers:
Question: "I am doing an addiction essay. What is the percentage of cocaine users who go onto become addicted/dependent?   I've been looking everywhere but I can't find a study which gives me a %. Please help thanks.

Best Answer:   I am sorry I can't give a specific source but multiple studies by well respected organizations indicate that only about 20% of long term, "serious" users are or will become dependent on cocaine.

Also it is important to remember that cocaine does not cause physical dependency like opioids or alcohol. It only causes psychological dependency (which is what addiction is, physical dependency is not addiction).

Less than 0.1-0.5% of people who try cocaine will go on and use heavily and as I said only about 20% of those will develop a true addiction.  [So an estimate of 0.02 - 0.10% of all cocaine users become addicted].

It is often hard to believe but most users of any drug are not and will never become addicted. Most cocaine users are full functional productive members of society. And most users will chose to stop at one point because they have no desire to continue using ...
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100425060726AA8CDAX

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sun 25 Jun 2017, 12:18 am

My personal belief is that he shouldn't be punished at all from a tennis perspective, as it was clearly recreational use. Obviously sponsors etc may take a view on it and he would deserve that. The rules are set though and Evans will know them, so must pay the price. The punishment, if harsher than Sharapova's, wouldn't really fit the crime.

Lots of people take the odd line of coke and are not addicts or have major issues. I did it myself in my youth...(not now I'm an adult though). His honesty might count against him here, if he claimed to have a problem he would probably get more help!

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 26 Jun 2017, 2:21 am

I agree with Alfie and No Name Bertie that the tennis authorities should not be policing cocaine.

If they happen to discover inadvertently that a player has cocaine in their system, they should pass the information to the police. If a player is later convicted as a result by the police, sponsorship loss and loss of wildcards would seem appropriate, but not banning from tournaments.

The police should be investigating actually because hard drugs are a serious business connected to violence and nasty people, at the very least find his supplier, and perhaps a conviction for the man himself.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:58 am

Cocaine is a stimulant. It is on the banned list for a reason.

This is from an article about Dennis Boyd a baseball player who took cocaine throughout his career in order to enhance his sporting performance.

Taking amphetamines or cocaine before a game would enhance performance just as much, if not more, than taking steroids. In fact, taking steroids is the long-form way of breaking the rules while cocaine and amphetamines should be looked at as the "get hits quick" method of cheating the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1061218-drugs-why-is-cocaine-viewed-differently-than-steroids-in-major-league-baseball

Just because Cocaine is used "recreationally" by some does not mean that it is not used to "gain an edge". I'm surprised with the excuses being made for Evans. He didn't make a "mistake" as he will have known he took a banned drug. If his excuse was he took it to have fun rather than to enhance his performance (and I have not heard him give that excuse) then it would be rather feeble... The only excuse would be if he took it unknowingly.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:24 am

Spot on HE.. exactly. In spite of the use of the drug for recreational reasons I find it difficult to excuse an athlete, who is serious about his career, and who well knows what it does to his body, would risk it for personal let alone professional reasons. The mere hint of the use of drugs of any kind in the tennis world has been outlawed and I am in agreement with the ITF .. it is not policing it is protecting the sport and its players. Would there be so many excuses for it if it had been one of the big four ...I doubt it Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 26 Jun 2017, 9:44 am

It would be extraordinary if Cocaine were not a banned substance for any professional sport * - and anyway the world that Evans lives in is one where it is so he faces the consequences of his decision.

If he can play his way back on his own after his ban like Hingis managed good for him.  If not, the tennis world owes him nothing and he becomes yet another sad footnote of somebody with the talent to do well in his chosen field who lacked the necessary discipline.  Of course life on tour is tough - what else is it going to be!  Nobody with the talent who lacks the application has any 'right' to be there.  Too many here are making excuses for an adult who can make his own decisions.

* why cocaine is banned
- most sponsors would drop any sport that turned a blind eye to cocaine like a hot potato
- whilst many take cocaine &c from time to time and manage to get on with their lives and leave it behind, too many don't with chaotic results
- it can be a stimulant
- it's a daft message for any professional sports body to send out that the top of their sport can handle prohibited drugs
- since prohibited drugs are just that, their quality/content is not regulated and are frequently 'cut' with other stuff so any sportsman who takes cocaine is disobeying the fundamental anti-doping rule of not taking full responsibility for what they ingest
- you can hardly have spectators wondering if the players were off their heads recently - it's a credibility thing even if sponsors don't care
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:08 am

I don't think anyone is actually making excuses for him - general view seems to be that his behavior has been irresponsible to say the least. And that he will have to suffer the consequences of his actions - but there is a measure of sympathy for him as it is clear he has been a goose rather a cheat ; and most people seem to hope he can get his act together after what is hoped will not be a too severe period in the cooler.
Whether he will , given his rather poor disciplinary record , remains to be seen.
I am well aware that cocaine can have a stimulatory effect , which is one reason why it falls on the banned list ; but I'd be surprised if any tennis players are taking it for performance enhancing purposes. And certainly this seems to be a clear case of a young man using it for its normal role as a party drug.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:37 am

hawkeye wrote:Cocaine is a stimulant. It is on the banned list for a reason.  ...
Thanks for answering my question.  So cocaine is banned because it is a performance enhancer.   Dan Evans said he failed the drugs test in April 2017.  In and around April 2017 he was playing in the following tournaments:

22 Mar - 02 Apr 2017 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami
07 - 09 Apr 2017 Davis Cup Quarter Final France vs Great Britain
16 - 23 Apr 2017 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo
24 - 30 Apr 2017 ATP 500 Barcelona

He was likely tested within competition.  Hence the recreational use excuse doesn't wash - he was basically caught with a stimulant in his bloodstream during a competition.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

For cocaine to have any beneficial effect during a tennis match, you'd have to take it more or less just before you walked on court. Even then it would be very limited, and then the negative effects of coming down would kick in during the first set.

A tennis player would have to be stupid or ignorant to hope to gain any overall positive effect.

It is in the list of banned substances because it is a) illegal and b) damaging to the individual.

The available research points to cocaine reducing an athlete's performance, not improving it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:25 am

Nobody has excused his coke taking. 

Literally everyone on this thread has made that deliberately clear. Please read the full posts

However. Dan is a human who makes mistakes and struggles to commit to a freakish celibant life of a tennis player 

For little actual money down at his level 

Point is he's not a bad guy. He's actually a normal man who's made mistakes. Rather than these freaks of nature who win grand slams

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:57 am

I think you are overegging the difficulty of being a pro player Temp. Of course, you have to look after yourself but you can have the odd drink and let your hair down from time to time. They don't need to be monks - just avoid actual illegal substances.

I can't have much sympathy for Dan here. He's made a stupid mistake and will be rightfully punished. I suspect it will probably be the end of his career as a top 100 player. However, he has no one else to blame.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jun 2017, 12:17 pm

It would make international news if Fed/Nadal/Murray or Djoko had proved positive with cocaine. They too are human and like to let their hair down when off court but can you see any of them doing drugs. The tennis world, not least of all this forum, would be in an uproar. It beggars belief that the ITF are being criticised for "policing" and so they should God knows the younger generation need to aspire to have a little more self discipline and respect for their sport. Sad he thought that it was worth risking his career for.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 1:27 pm

Fair enough. I just feel uncomfortable making s martyr out of someonr who otherwise would be allowed to get himself back on track without every Tom dick and harry turning their nose up at him.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 4:22 pm

temporary21 wrote:Nobody has excused his coke taking. 

Literally everyone on this thread has made that deliberately clear. Please read the full posts

However. Dan is a human who makes mistakes and struggles to commit to a freakish celibant life of a tennis player 

For little actual money down at his level 

Point is he's not a bad guy. He's actually a normal man who's made mistakes. Rather than these freaks of nature who win grand slams

Dan Evans 2017 prize money $405,918. Career prize money $1,339,693. Not exactly sweeties. I realise he has won a lot of the total career money in the last year and would have had to scrape for money in the past. However it seems really stupid to test positive for a banned substance at a time when he was making the best money of his career. His ranking was getting him into the events where the big money is. He has now thrown that all away and will have to start again from the bottom. Will he have the commitment to do that. I'm not so sure.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 4:40 pm

Take out expenses on that. And given how long he had been playing. That isn't nearly as much as it looks 

As you say almost all that has been made from the odd big run at a decent tournament 

Scrapping for very little in some god knows where challenger is the reality of most his career 

He's clearly not liking it. So he's tried to enjoy himself more and gone too far. Loads of people have done that to little attention

Being a sportsmen doesn't somehow make it worse, or to be honest really any of my business 

Hope he finds happiness. It matters much more than talent fulfilment or money in the end

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jun 2017, 4:51 pm

Temp... have you a personal interest in Dan Evans ?  Why him?  What makes him different?
All professional tennis players have been there.. they did not resort to cocaine. You make it sound like he has entered a monastery .. why did he choose to be a professional sportsman if he thinks that snorting cocaine is a much better idea.?  I sincerely believe you have misplaced sympathy/loyalty here .. there are many young men that would give their back teeth for the opportunity and talent  to be on the threshold of a lucrative career. Even journeymen earn a good living from tennis, Let us now think of those players that have come up through the ranks through hard work and dedication and made a success of their lives and be grateful that Tennis is staying clean. Sorry but the sport doesn't need Dan Evans Cool

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:05 pm

My point was that now he has put in the effort to get up to the top 50 and automatic entry into the big events this was his chance to get financial reward for all the struggles of the past. A Wimbledon first round loser makes £35k this year and the prize money goes up quite steeply after that. At 27 he possibly had another 5 years where he could earn good money if he continued to show the effort he had over the past year or so. It just seems such a waste for him to have thrown the effort and potential rewards away.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:13 pm

I think it is good to have a variety of views. My view has taken a 360 degree turn.

The question now is how long the ban will last and whether or not it will be back dated to when he failed the test. If it is back dated I assume he will have to return all the prize monies, expenses and all his results will be expunged back to when he failed the test. If the punishment is backdated and occurred before the Davis Cup Quarter Final ... I wonder whether the Davis Cup tie will be taken as a walkover . France did win the tie 4-1, so it wouldn't make a difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next