The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

+64
Welly
Sgt_Pooly
LondonTiger
SirBurger
VinceWLB
mikey_dragon
yappysnap
Hazel Sapling
RiscaGame
TightHEAD
George Carlin
Pot Hale
Geordie
Maine man
Rugby Fan
propdavid_london
Heaf
Margin_Walker
lostinwales
king_carlos
B91212
englishborn
Recwatcher16
doctor_grey
SecretFly
rosbif
Mr Bounce
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
Cumbrian
broadlandboy
Cardiff Dave
dragon4life
XR
ScarletSpiderman
Collapse2005
LeinsterFan4life
carpet baboon
boomeranga
chris_501
mid_gen
Heaf2
whocares
Ozzy3213
wayne
nathan
LordDowlais
Fluxy
Exiledinborders
Scottrf
munkian
BamBam
BigGee
geoff999rugby
Luckless Pedestrian
Welshmushroom
prop_lyd
Seagultaf
No 7&1/2
HongKongCherry
beshocked
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Stone Motif
68 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 19 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by George Carlin Sun 30 Jul - 7:15

First topic message reminder :

New season, new thread.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 19 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 19 Mar - 13:21

Charnley back to league then. Thought ge would have been better tbh.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 19 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by XR Mon 19 Mar - 14:06

That's a shame, I like charnley but sometimes it's a bit more difficult to come over from League as a winger and try to be a winger in union.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 19 Mar - 15:56

It is a shame. Also a bit of a shame he didn’t/couldn’t have gone back to Wigan.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 19 Mar - 23:56

gcBlues wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/43375501

Very strong at the set piece and certainly one to keep an eye on in the near future. Now Sale have him for 5 years. The welsh teams missed out here.

Went to Perpignan (div 2) and didn't play a game...not really missing out at the moment.

Didn’t play a game? You might wanna double check that one. Not many Welsh players go to France and improve anyway, their teams can’t do it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Mar - 11:55

mikey_dragon wrote:
gcBlues wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/43375501

Very strong at the set piece and certainly one to keep an eye on in the near future. Now Sale have him for 5 years. The welsh teams missed out here.

Went to Perpignan (div 2) and didn't play a game...not really missing out at the moment.

Didn’t play a game? You might wanna double check that one. Not many Welsh players go to France and improve anyway, their teams can’t do it.

Potentially a good move for him. Sale are a bit of an unfashionable club but they are good at bringing young players on and getting the best out of what they have. Need a work ethic though or Diamond will ship him out sharpish.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 20 Mar - 13:02

Chudley to bath confirmed

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 20 Mar - 13:48

Kyle Goodwin to Connacht confirmed

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 20 Mar - 15:38

gcBlues wrote:That's a shame, I like charnley but sometimes it's a bit more difficult to come over from League as a winger and try to be a winger in union.
I always thought that was the easiest of transitions. A wing in both codes is pretty much the same role.....
The most successful converts 'barring Brad Thorn' have been in the back 3. Robinson, Lote Tukiri, Rodgers, Ashton etc.

Charnley was looking promising - Was he injured at Sale? Or just not getting in front of Solomona/McGuigan/Yarde and the youngster Odogwu?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 21 Mar - 12:19

Don't know where to put this, but Channel 4 will be showing 1 live game in every round of the Champions Cup for the next 4 seasons

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 21 Mar - 12:48

The first of what is likely to be several SA signings for Glaws has been announced, Franco Marais is joining in the summer from the Sharks. I'm presuming he and Hanson will be viewed as the 1st choice hookers, with the 2 U20 hookers Walker and Mullis fighting it out as 3rd choice.

Just Dreyer, Mostert, Etzebeth, Kriel and Jantjies to go... Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 21 Mar - 12:59

would be surprised if it is several.
3 max IMO.

Marais, Jaco Kriel and Dreyer will be the main 3 IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Wed 21 Mar - 13:23

propdavid_london wrote:
gcBlues wrote:That's a shame, I like charnley but sometimes it's a bit more difficult to come over from League as a winger and try to be a winger in union.
I always thought that was the easiest of transitions.  A wing in both codes is pretty much the same role.....
The most successful converts 'barring Brad Thorn' have been in the back 3.  Robinson, Lote Tukiri, Rodgers, Ashton etc.

Charnley was looking promising - Was he injured at Sale?  Or just not getting in front of Solomona/McGuigan/Yarde and the youngster Odogwu?

He was not getting ahead of Solomona/McGuigan/Yarde, I also think the arrival of Solomona knocked him back as his introduction whilst was not bad showed a big difference in the two. I believe he lost heart with his ability force his way into the squad in a union side and wished to go back to what he knows.

A shame, but it was obvious he was no where near first choice.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 21 Mar - 20:39

BamBam wrote:Don't know where to put this, but Channel 4 will be showing 1 live game in every round of the Champions Cup for the next 4 seasons

Has to be the Italian one right?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 21 Mar - 21:00

In recent signing news...

Sarel Pretorious from Dragons to Southern Kings. We've recruited some 9's for next season and have a good'un from the academy, so hopefully the other two currently on our books follow Sarel out the door.

Uzair Cassiem from Cheetahs to Scarlets. I think he was okay for Springboks but certainly not Vermuelen, and maybe he (Cassiem) decided to get out once he heard Vermeulen was coming home. If available all year then he should flourish with the Scarlets who are continuing to form a good team for the international weekends.

John Mulvihill (coach) from somewhere in Japan, not even relevant where, to Cardiff Blues. Unfortunately it's likely to be another one of their bonehead signings which should see them continue to be mediocre for a few more years. Wilson is doing a good job right now and has been underappreciated.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 22 Mar - 11:12

Dom Barrow signs for La Rochelle with immediate effect.....odd.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 22 Mar - 11:16

mikey_dragon wrote:
BamBam wrote:Don't know where to put this, but Channel 4 will be showing 1 live game in every round of the Champions Cup for the next 4 seasons

Not seen anything quoted, but would assume it would be whatever game with an English team that BT don't fancy showing

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 22 Mar - 11:55

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Dom Barrow signs for La Rochelle with immediate effect.....odd.

Not odd really.
Fell out with some at the club, had a pretty bad injury. Tigers prob didn't want to release to a rival club during this season esp if Sale and Falcons are after him. Rochelle have money need a lock for the rest of season.

Comes back next season for a prem club (Saints).

Last edited by Welly on Thu 22 Mar - 11:58; edited 1 time in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 22 Mar - 11:57

BamBam wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Not seen anything quoted, but would assume it would be whatever game with an English team that BT don't fancy showing

The Italians are not guaranteed a place next year. At the moment it is a play-off between Ulster and Connacht for the 7th spot with Glasgow, Edinburgh, Scarlets, Cardiff, Leinster and Munster qualifying automatically.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 22 Mar - 21:18

So Socino jr the hooker is staying with us for another 2 years which is a great move.

Barrow off to Saints. Thoughts?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 22 Mar - 22:35

Barrow had fallen out with several at Tigers by most accounts. If he doesn't want to be at the club then trying to keep him was futile. It's a second contract he has left early, using a get out clause at Falcons to move to a club playing European Cup rugby and now he has left Tigers to move to a club that wont be next season.

I'm sad to see him go. He was a rare bright spot last season and has plenty of talent. His fringe defence is a part of his game often overlooked, he's good at stopping runners of 9 behind the gain line. It's a part of his game I really like given a lot of big second rows don't throw their weight around in the tackle.

He's got a lot of areas to work on - offers little line-out option and gives away plenty of pens - but it's the making of a very good Saints second row pairing of Lawes and Barrow.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 22 Mar - 23:53

So was it attitude that's the problem for him?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 23 Mar - 1:03

yappysnap wrote:So was it attitude that's the problem for him?

Others will know better than me, I only make it down for around half the home games each year now due to work so rumours I here at those games are even more fragmented than gossip on the terrace can be at the best of times!

From what's widely known he had a training ground bust up with Tom Youngs that turned sour. Who instigated the scrap, why it turned sour and whether Barrow's attitude afterwards played a role I couldn't tell you.

It's been known for a while that he hasn't wanted to stay at the club though and if wanted to leave then it's the best choice for both parties.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 23 Mar - 9:14

Attitude is only 1 of the issues from what I hear.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Mar - 9:21

I had heard rumours of a big training ground punch up between him an Tom Youngs. A training ground fight at Oval Park is nothing new so who knows whether something was said in anger that maybe couldn't be taken back later.

I had also heard rumours of Barrow meeting the person presumed his agent in Waitrose in Oadby. Apparently he was quite agitated and was talking about leaving as soon as possible whilst the people with him were trying to talk him round and suggesting a team meeting to talk things out.

It's a shame and a real fall away from a guy who had captained the club at times and looked to have a bright future. Having said that he had regressed this season back to Dim Barrow when not injured. Last season he'd seemed to get past the stupid penalties and poor decisions but he found those attributes again early doors.

Tigers will certainly need to seek a replacement. The second row isn't short of options but we need two enforcers and currently we have only Spencer confirmed for next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 23 Mar - 9:33

Enforcers are overrated IMO, I used to want one at Tigers but watching the 6N’s how many enforcers are there really? It’s a dying breed.

They need to do it all now, esp with the style MOC wants. Part of the problem with Barrow is he’s a enforcer in a time where they just aren’t needed. Most solid rucks can clear out etc but now you need that carrying game.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Mar - 9:55

Welly wrote: Enforcers are overrated IMO, I used to want one at Tigers but watching the 6N’s how many enforcers are there really? It’s a dying breed.

They need to do it all now, esp with the style MOC wants. Part of the problem with Barrow is he’s a enforcer in a time where they just aren’t needed. Most solid rucks can clear out etc but now you need that carrying game.

When I say enforcer I want someone who'll smash the opposition at the ruck, make big tackles around the breakdown to stop the opposition's pick and go game, power the scrum and rule the rolling maul. Do the horrible tight work so that we get good ball and the opposition are disrupted. It's not a glamorous job but it never goes out of fashion.

Our squad lacks a bit of that at the minute and whilst Spencer will help I'd like another like him to rotate. Particularly as Bakewell is adding a nice direct approach to our forwards.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 23 Mar - 10:17

But isn’t that expected of every lock now?
Since Bakewell arrival our locks are doing it a lot more.

The only thing we miss is a ball carrying lock currently to start a pick and go move and for me that will be done by someone like Mafi.

We need another lock

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Mar - 10:53

It might be expected of every lock but it's where we've lost games this season. Bakewell is certainly helping in that area but we need go give him some aggression to work with. You can have all the carriers you like but if there's no one throwing their weight around in the tight they'll make no metres, another story of our season so far.

I'd like to see Mafi come in and replace Fitzgerald but I don't think we'll be that lucky.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 23 Mar - 21:03

Myler to leave Saints at the end of the year.

Interesting to see who steps up in International periods with both Francis and Biggar likely to be missing.

Good to see a lot of Saints youngster starting to get some interational honours, hopefully bodes well for the future
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 23 Mar - 21:11

You think Francis will be missing?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 23 Mar - 22:39

Can't see it myself.

Is Myler retiring?

Also has to be included as one of the most successful league transfers of recent history.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Mar - 8:17

I assume Myler will join Sale or Yorkshire.

Francis looks light years away from England.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 26 Mar - 1:32

Cuthbert to Exeter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43535947
Hmmmm

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 26 Mar - 1:35

lostinwales wrote:Cuthbert to Exeter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43535947
Hmmmm

Given how strong and well drilled Exeter are up front Cuthbert should flourish. Just gain the ground and he'll have no problem finding the try line. I think a move at this point in his career is good as he's kind of stagnated, so I imagine he will also improve other areas of his game. I can't see him playing for Wales ever again as he's not good enough, although I envision one-eyed Cardiff people telling everyone how amazing Cuthbert was all along because Exeter bought him Rolling Eyes.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 26 Mar - 5:11

Wow...here's me thinking Cuthbert was awful!

Gives a different option as their other wingers are pretty good Wink. They seemed to rejuvenate Tom James a few years back, maybe they'll help Cuthbert.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 26 Mar - 5:31

Chiefs get the best out of most players it seems - hope the Mighty Cuffbut is willing to work hard. If so, he'll probably love it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar - 20:02

I see Tom Stephenson and Nutley are leaving saints.

Theres no mention of where they are going...Stephenson was a real English inside centre hope when he broke on the scene, but was yet another young starlet blighted by injuries. Still only 23 mind...

Anyone know where they're going?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 27 Mar - 20:04

He's LI bound apparently

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Mar - 20:11

Do LI need more centres? Personally I'd take either Stephenson or Johnny Williams up at Tigers as understudy to Toomua.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 27 Mar - 20:15

Yeah, always short of a centre or two. J Willams is likely off at the end of the season.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar - 20:15

Surely if Stephenson can get free of injury he could be a cracking signing. A fresh challenge away from saints is what he needs.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar - 20:17

Williams is coming to us apparently. That would add up with us letting JP Socino go..whos a class act.

But we're struggling for EQ's in the centres so Williams works out well.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 27 Mar - 20:19

GeordieFalcon wrote:Surely if Stephenson can get free of injury he could be a cracking signing. A fresh challenge away from saints is what he needs.

Yeah, probably a good move if he fancies gametime. Bit of a risky signing (if true) with the injury cloud, but then if he didn't have that over him, he'd probably pick up a better gig somewhere.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 27 Mar - 20:19

GeordieFalcon wrote:Williams is coming to us apparently. That would add up with us letting JP Socino go..whos a class act.

But we're struggling for EQ's in the centres so Williams works out well.

Until Wales cap him...

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 Mar - 20:31

Well yeah true...bloomin Harris was EQ and then went and played for Scotland.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Mar - 20:42

Williams to Bath seems to be the main rumour.

Not heard him to Falcons.
Would rather he went to Falcons though would be a good fit.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 27 Mar - 20:47

I think it will be Falcons. Fissler went with Bath in TRP, but his wording was a bit looser than it was on Cokanasiga, so doubt he had it nailed down. Besides, why would you sign him and Roberts in the same summer?

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Mar - 21:09

Margin_Walker wrote:I think it will be Falcons. Fissler went with Bath in TRP, but his wording was a bit looser than it was on Cokanasiga, so doubt he had it nailed down. Besides, why would you sign him and Roberts in the same summer?

They only have 3 centres for next season.
Roberts, JJ and Clark.

Roberts and JJ have international ambitions next season.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Tue 27 Mar - 21:21

Welly wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:I think it will be Falcons. Fissler went with Bath in TRP, but his wording was a bit looser than it was on Cokanasiga, so doubt he had it nailed down. Besides, why would you sign him and Roberts in the same summer?

They only have 3 centres for next season.
Roberts, JJ and Clark.

Roberts and JJ have international ambitions next season.

Sure, plenty of time too sign more though. I guess we'll soon find out.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Mar - 22:34

Also don't Bath and Irish have a deal?

Bath get their players and Irish management can have free fish and chips when they come to the rec.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next