The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Biggar

+6
TightHEAD
mikey_dragon
ScarletSpiderman
Forward Pass
munkian
No9
10 posters

Go down

Dan Biggar Empty Dan Biggar

Post by No9 Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Speaking to someone I know at the Ospreys last night (not going to mention who, as s/he would not want his/her name mentioned).

S/he said that Dan Biggar is not happy and is discussing options about moving. He is considering moving to a French club.

If he does this, isn't he also walking away from the Welsh shirt, as after all he is one of the NDC players and as such would have to terminate that contract as well as the one with the Os.

He must either be really p!$$ed off at the Os or been offered such a large amount (which can really only be from a French side) to leave and put his international career at risk. Could be a really silly move.

Anyone else heard these "rumours"...

Last edited by No9 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

No9

Back to top Go down

Dan Biggar Empty Re: Dan Biggar

Post by munkian Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm

He could've easily been offered a lot by an English club too.
Rumour has been around for ages.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm

I think the figures to beat the NDC payment, and with the "so called" salary cap in the Aviva, its more like to be a French side.

Also, I know this has been rumoured for a while, but the person I spoke to isn't the sort to talk rumours..

I used the term, in the same way the Beeb use the word "allegedly" when saying something they don't want to get in trouble for Wink

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Been linked to Saints for ages
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Forward Pass wrote:Been linked to Saints for ages

Yupp
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Didn't he have a wobble a few seasons back (think I was last time the Os won the league), when they got off to a bad start and two/three games in he was meant to be buying himself out his contract and heading to metro racing (think Hooky was still at the Os then)?

Seeing as he didn't go then, odds are he won't do anything before end of the season now.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Might be.. but not sure.

Hook left Ospreys in 2011 for Perpignan, and that seems a long time ago and at the start(ish) of Biggar's rise. He was only an understudy then, to Preistland in the Welsh camp, so be surprised if he was thinking then of a move to Racing and whether Racing would have even made him an offer.

I know he's been chased by clubs since, but not sure it was as far back as before 2011, when Hook was there.

But, don't know for sure..

As for getting out of the contract now, he would have to get out of the NDC contract as well, and if he did, I'm sure he could kiss goodbye to the Welsh jersey. Unless he goes to another Welsh region of course, and not sure who could afford him and whether they would want him. Either way, I'm sure he wont want to play second string to Sam Davies this season. Not that he did last season, but he didn't get the number of starts he would have liked either.

Gatland's law is going to be tested big time next season... Erm

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Ah well... said this last month...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41173267

That's the end of his Welsh career. The only real question is whether he will feature this season in the Welsh jersey or whether Gatland will decide its better to let the "next" Welsh 10 gain and build experience before the RWC. Personally, I think he's made his bed, now time to let him sleep in it.

Time to step up Sam (Davies)...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:30 pm

How is it the end of his Welsh career ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:40 pm

The so called Gatlands law, restricts the players he can select playing outside of Wales (Lets not debate it, as always.. ie There's no such Law etc.. We all know what has been said and by who.) .

Biggar was a NDC player, so he hasn't just told the Ospreys he's off but would have also resigned his National Dual Contract.. That has a bigger impact than Liam Williams leaving, for instance.

To turn away from a NDC, is a two finger salute to the WRU and as such, I think he's said good-bye to his international days, unless we experience major injuries at fly half.

As an Osprey fan, I don't blame him. A players career is short and if injured can be even shorter, so he has to consider his family and provide for them. But if we are going to really try and keep our internationals playing in Wales, which has been stated for years, and hence the so called Gatland's Law, then we have to start to stick to that rule and not play lip service to it. Therefore any player, who turns down or "resigns" a NDC is going to be way down the wild card selection options.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Surely his NDC is up next season and other regions have failed to come anywhere near NH's offer ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Signing a season ahead is a bit premature, if he really wanted to stay in Wales. As for the NDC, I believe they are tied to the duration of the Region contract, for admin reasons, but he's just walking away from the NDC without really trying for other Welsh regions. He's followed the money.

He isn't happy at the Ospreys this season, as with Sam Davies and Hook there he doesn't expect to get the game time he would have in the past. Which is the prime reason he has taken the Saints pay check so early without seeing what other options there are. Putting it simply, he's cashing in his stock now off the back of a good Lions tour, rather than waiting for his stock to drop when he appears less and less for the Ospreys this season. Cant blame him, but he cant expect to keep the Welsh jersey as well (and I bet he knows that).

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 am

No9 wrote:Ah well... said this last month...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41173267

That's the end of his Welsh career. The only real question is whether he will feature this season in the Welsh jersey or whether Gatland will decide its better to let the "next" Welsh 10 gain and build experience before the RWC. Personally, I think he's made his bed, now time to let him sleep in it.

Time to step up Sam (Davies)...

Really sam Davies? You must be watching different games to the rest of us, this guy isn't not the messiah and is really struggling at this level. More like time to step up Patchell and Williams.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:49 am

No9 wrote:
He isn't happy at the Ospreys this season, as with Sam Davies and Hook there he doesn't expect to get the game time he would have in the past. Which is the prime reason he has taken the Saints pay check so early without seeing what other options there are. Putting it simply, he's cashing in his stock now off the back of a good Lions tour, rather than waiting for his stock to drop when he appears less and less for the Ospreys this season. Cant blame him, but he cant expect to keep the Welsh jersey as well (and I bet he knows that).

So has Biggar told you all this? I agree he hasn't looked comfortable at the Ospreys for a little while. He has been there for his entire career and it's natural that he would eventually feel stale. That coupled with the mismanagement of the organisation of course - Ospreys really need a decent coach to steer them in the right direction. So many good players being under-utilised.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 am

Saints Lol. Why?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 am

This has been done for a while now. (Posted it was done in first week of June).

Although if Saints have a crap season he might well try and get out of it IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:29 am

Another 10 for Myler to compete with - there cant be a lot of trust there. Back in the days when they had Geraghty, Lamb fighting for spots with him. Then JJ Hanrahan and Malinder, now the new Kiwi/EQP import and Biggar.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 am

propdavid_london wrote:Another 10 for Myler to compete with - there cant be a lot of trust there.  Back in the days when they had Geraghty, Lamb fighting for spots with him. Then JJ Hanrahan and Malinder, now the new Kiwi/EQP import and Biggar.

Think Myler's contract is out end of season.

TBH Francis and Mallinder are more centres IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:46 am

Ah, may well be time for Myler to move on then.
This is true welly - But Harry M does seem to be playing more at 10 of late! Perhaps out of necessity.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:58 am

Grayson is prob viewed as the long term 10.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:45 am

Prop David, Francis is not an Kiwi import, he was born in Gravesend and until he was 18 was a member of the Sarries academy from where he went to NZ. He came back after a couple of years and played at Edinburgh before getting injured and signed for Doncaster before going back to NZ in 2015 came back in 2017

Welly, certainly Mallinder is a 12, injuries to Myler and Francis forced his start at 10 on Saturday. Francis played most of his early rugby at 10 and both 10 and 12 for Blues. A bit of a Farrell type in where he plays, has more pace though.

I have said on another thread, I do not know why Saints have tied up so much money next season with Biggar, they have much more urgent concerns around No.8, they are loaded with competent 10s and 12s. Probably need another loose head as well, just don't rate Ma'afu.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:02 pm

You can't be contenders with a competent 10 TBF.

10 is too important to stop gap in.

Could do with cutting the likes of Hartley, Ma'afu, Myler, Kessell, Paterson, Pisi, Tuitavake, Foden, Tuala
Bring up full time (Would be very close to putting Burrell on this aswell with Hutchinson, Stephenson and Mallinder being ahead of him in my eyes).
Onojaife for Ma'afu
Mitchell for Kessell
Grayson for Myler

Move Heywood to out and out starting 2.
With the money saved from that sign a starting quality LH Prop, 8, 15 and look for some genuine prospects to fill in the depth so like Ribbans and not sign a 27 year old PI player with a handful of caps at ITM level.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Welly, Francis showed he was a competent international 10/12 in Argentina, not a stop gap. I was talking about at AP level, it's great to have George Ford, but not everybody can have him. Exeter are champions, but I wouldn't say Steenson is much more than competent at 10. I would put Francis and Myler above him.

Hartley is still the England captain and you would get rid, this coming from a tigers supporter who have T. Youngs as club captain. Myler has a season or two left if not playing every game like the last few seasons, Greyson is not ready to start a series of games if Francis is injured. Mitchell is not ready to replace Kessel yet, who would replace Foden, Tuala and Tuitavake, apart from Burrell we have no other 13s, no 15s and are very short on wingers. Hutchinson, Stephenson and Mallinder are all 12s some of who can play 13.

Totally agree on Ma'afu, Patterson and possibly Pisi. I would like to see Moon given a few chances off the bench, he has the potential to be a monster and we are very short of ball carriers.

Tigers supporter trying to ruin a local rivals season, I would have thought better
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Nothing against saints i think Tigers still need to do more.

Tom youngs esp for me McGuigan should be first choice.

also think our 2 young 9 and 10's should be promoted next season.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 am

Welly wrote:You can't be contenders with a competent 10 TBF.

10 is too important to stop gap in.

Could do with cutting the likes of Hartley, Ma'afu, Myler, Kessell, Paterson, Pisi, Tuitavake, Foden, Tuala
Get rid of Foden and Tuala and play with 14 men? You're crazy. And Tuala has been excellent. Tuitavake too, and neither expensive.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down