The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The maturity of Dan Biggar

4 posters

Go down

The maturity of Dan Biggar Empty The maturity of Dan Biggar

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:39 am

Well, what a nice article about Dan Biggar, it is so refreshing to see somebody who accepts his early career flaws and make inroads about putting them right:-

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/03/dan-biggar-wales-jersey-ospreys

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

The maturity of Dan Biggar Empty Re: The maturity of Dan Biggar

Post by Guest Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:15 am

Biggar has matured a lot in the last 2 seasons or so. Remember when he first came on the scene - he was brash, loud, aggressive, bossy - not normally traits associated with young Welsh players who tend to be a bit quiet and unassuming. Here was a player who was bossing about senior players, barking orders, etc. Unfortunately I feel he went a bit too far the wrong way. Almost as if someone said to him that he needed to impose himself and make himself heard. He was back chatting, opposition crowds could get under his skin a bit, he was niggly, over-aggressive at times, etc. I think he lost a bit of form and was perhaps dropped a bit at regional level.

However, in the last few years he's certainly matured into a very good player. I used to really dislike him as a young player as he seemed like a petulant child. I was one of the crowd at RP getting under his skin and tying to tip him over the edge (sorry!). But now he's one of my favourite players. People criticise him for a lack of a running game; a typical bish bosh Gatland-type. But I've seen him create some wonderful stuff at the Ospreys. I just think that, like many others, their creativity is knocked out of them at International level a bit my the purposefully limited game plan. It's a shame really. But then it's brought us some relative success, so who am I to question!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:44 am

Aye

He has turned his game around. I was tired of him as a younger player but since Tandy has had the reins Biggar has had the kick up the backside he needed...!

He will never have the vision or game reading ability of Dan Carter or Barry John but he has all the ability to be a very good ten for Wales.
He doesn't suffer from injury often either.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:04 am

It is but of late I have noticed him mouthing off to ref the quite a bit again about various decisions.

Now whether the decision is right or wrong he needs to tread carefully as some refs will not take it as much as others.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:10 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:It is but of late I have noticed him mouthing off to ref the quite a bit again about various decisions.

Now whether the decision is right or wrong he needs to tread carefully as some refs will not take it as much as others.

Yes I agree he still has a petulant nature, even though it has been suppressed...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:It is but of late I have noticed him mouthing off to ref the quite a bit again about various decisions.

Yes I agree he still has a petulant nature, even though it has been suppressed...

I think, like Phil Bennett said, he does seem to play better with Webb alongside him, as he looked pretty average at the weekend.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:38 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I think, like Phil Bennett said, he does seem to play better with Webb alongside him, as he looked pretty average at the weekend.

I reckon that was down to Martyn Roberts taking an age to actually do anything in the first place though.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 am

Least Roberts won't be anywhere near Welsh squad then.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Least Roberts won't be anywhere near Welsh squad then.

Shame as Roberts used to be a quick thinking fast player. Lack of game time and a few years in England have not been good to him...

I'd rather the Ospreys invested time in Habberfield, who I thought looked very handy a few seasons ago, shame he has had a bad run of injuries.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down