The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Dragons 22nd September 2017

+14
eirebilly
Artful_Dodger
Redman
clivemcl
Stone Motif
Don Alfonso
mikey_dragon
Pete330v2
munkian
RiscaGame
marty2086
Kingshu
LordDowlais
Luckless Pedestrian
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ulster v Dragons 22nd September 2017 - Page 3 Empty Ulster v Dragons 22nd September 2017

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Sep 2017, 12:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ulster: C Piutau, T Bowe, D Cave, McCloskey, J Stockdale, P Nelson, P Marshall, K McCall, R Herring, R Ah You, R Diack, A O’Connor, C Ross, C Henry (captain), N Timoney. Replacements: J Andrew, A Warwick, W Herbst, I Henderson, M Rea, D Shanahan, B Herron, R Lyttle.

Dragons: C Meyer, A Hughes, T Palamo, P Howard, G Gasson, D Jones, O Leonard, T Davies, G Ellis, L Fairbrother, M Screech, R Landman, M Williams, O Griffiths (captain), R Blake. Replacements: R Buckley, P Price, B Harris, J Davies, L Greggains, D Blacker, A O’Brien, W Talbot Davies.

Referee: Dan Jones (WRU, 10th competition game)
AR1: Ian Davies (WRU). AR2: Adam Jones (WRU)
TMO: John Mason (WRU)

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Dragons 22nd September 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulster v Dragons 22nd September 2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 22 Sep 2017, 11:55 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
marty2086 wrote:On about 79 mins Diack was still coming off the line and getting in Dragons players face and making tackles

I loved his hand bags stuff with the Dragons tighthead, we haven't seen that side to him in far, far too long.

Yes, that was quite enjoyable.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Dragons 22nd September 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulster v Dragons 22nd September 2017

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:23 am

[quote="Rory_Gallagher"]
Munchkin wrote:Oh, wise up. One of the penalties against him wasn't his fault. the others I will look at, but you discount the things he did right. Are you such a bunch of pussies that you can't see we need aggressive hard hitting men? Complain when we don't have them, and bitch them when we do?

Oh great, another internet hard man. Which grammar school taught you to use such aggressive language?  Wink

picard

Last edited by Munchkin on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 7:44 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:39 am

Oh for goodness sake. You sound like an insecure loser. Go home and rethink your life, rather than picking fights with strangers online.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:43 am

Rory, the one who called me out is the ejit.

Last edited by Munchkin on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:45 am

Last edited by Munchkin on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:50 am

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:53 am

Munchkin wrote:I'm not taking it seriously. Just trying to make it something that works for others, I don't hate the guy or anything stupid. Truth is I have a lot of respect for him. But, you talk tough, lets make something of it ...

My charity is Macmiilan nurses. Both my parents died of cancer, and the nurses were fantastic, but overstretched. I don't mind a wee fight.

Mate, life is rough for us all. Sleep it off. I hope that things get better.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:53 am

Last edited by Munchkin on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:55 am

Last edited by Munchkin on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:57 am

Munchkin wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Munchkin wrote:I'm not taking it seriously. Just trying to make it something that works for others, I don't hate the guy or anything stupid. Truth is I have a lot of respect for him. But, you talk tough, lets make something of it ...

My charity is Macmiilan nurses. Both my parents died of cancer, and the nurses were fantastic, but overstretched. I don't mind a wee fight.

i have nothing to sleep off. i don't drink. I proposed a good cause and you are backing out. So you are a coward? Not worth a charity?

Goodnight.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:09 am

Last edited by Munchkin on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:17 am

Munchkin wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

i have nothing to sleep off. i don't drink. I proposed a good cause and you are backing out. So you are a coward? Not worth a charity?

Goodnight.

Aye, Rory, good job on deleting your posts. You're a coward. End of.

Last thing I'm going to say. Stop embarrassing yourself. I deleted one post where, as you know fine well, I mocked you quite severely. When you edited the post immediately above to mention a personal tragedy, I pitied you and decided to change the tone.

Sleep it off. No hard feelings, and perhaps the mods will tidy up the thread in the morning.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:20 am

Sure, Rory. You called me out, I made a game of it and you backed out.

There's no hard feelings on my side. I tried to turn into fun. It went badly wrong. I get it. You are an ejit though.

Last edited by Munchkin on Sat 23 Sep 2017, 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:26 am

Jeez it's all kicking off tonight

Question for you Rory, what exactly was Ah You meant to do regarding the yellow card tackle? He committed and the guy turned his back? Once you go in like that it can be hard to pull back

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 1:28 am

marty2086 wrote:Jeez it's all kicking off tonight

Question for you Rory, what exactly was Ah You meant to do regarding the yellow card tackle? He committed and the guy turned his back? Once you go in like that it can be hard to pull back

I've deleted most of my posts, Marty. It got a bit silly, and I regret my side in that. Anyway. stupid things happens and I made a mistake on judging the banter. I'm away to bed now. Goodnight all.

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sat 23 Sep 2017, 8:44 am

Good morning all! Looks like a few of you stayed up past bed time and maybe had too many sugary soft drinks.
A wild Friday night anyway so it seems.

Find more worthwhile things to do with your time guys! This was useful for nobody.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 8:50 am

Damn it, I always miss the good fights on here.

Anyway:
I watched the Ah You tackle again and IMO he was committed and did also manage to get his arms into the tackle so it was a timing issue, not a cheap shot. I would like to state that this I'm not stating this as fact, it's just an opinion and I'm only human, like Rodney.

Also, looking at the other results involving the O's and Leinster, perhaps our slighly faltering game against Treviso was just that for good reason and the Cheetahs now look better than anyone might have expected. I know, one swallow, summer etc but hopefully that's not the case. We need strong South African and Italian sides in the Pro14 or it's just effectively the Pro10. We need to play strong sides every week, that's what makes us strong. Last night was great to watch, the players showed more grit and determination than I've seen in a long, long time. Say what you want about Ah You but he put his all into that game, something he's never done. Yes he dropped a couple of balls and yes he got carded (after time was up) but I'd rather have that version of Rodders than the one who seems to not give a toss. Even Piutau looked like he enjoyed that game.
My only gripe would be the fact that the lads took their foot off the gas for a good chunk of the second half and allowed the Dragons some consolation. I hope Gibbes can bring some Kiwi ruthlessness to this side and teach them never to take the foot off the throat for 80 minutes. We could have put 80 on that side. Imagine what our 1st XV would have done.
Another bright aspect was seeing Diack having a reawakening. I've been a critic of his but hell, he played a stormer and never took a backward step. The brightest aspect was seeing Nick Timoney making his debut, getting a brace and receiving MOTM. What a night for him and what a prospect for us. At last, now that Clarke's gone (I know I got it wrong before Marty) these guys get a shot and look at what we could have had all last season. Nick Timoney take a bow.
There's fire in the bellies of Ulster so in Ulster style "keep 'er lit"

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 8:59 am

clivemcl wrote:Good morning all! Looks like a few of you stayed up past bed time and maybe had too many sugary soft drinks.

Find more worthwhile things to do with your time guys! This was useful for nobody.

Thanks for the life advice, Clive. Really inspiring.

Anyway, as I wake up this morning and hilariously find a few more edited or deleted posts, I'll just make it clear that I didn't (nor would I ever) try to invite anyone online to fight me, and you will be met with mockery and laughter if you try to do it with me.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 9:03 am

I would have to see the clip again, but I disagree that it was a matter of commitment like the Kearney/Scarlets incidents over the past few weeks. It looked a lot clumsier. The attacker had his back turned, had passed the ball, and then Ah You comes in leading the shoulder. It looked like a typical cheap shot.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 23 Sep 2017, 9:12 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
clivemcl wrote:Good morning all! Looks like a few of you stayed up past bed time and maybe had too many sugary soft drinks.

Anyway, as I wake up this morning and hilariously find a few more edited or deleted posts, I'll just make it clear that I didn't (nor would I ever) try to invite anyone online to fight me, and you will be met with mockery and laughter if you try to do it with me.

Yeah I thought you invited a bit of gip with the sanctimonious tone of your posting.

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 9:16 am

toml wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Yeah I thought you invited a bit of gip with the sanctimonious tone of your posting.

I give as good as I get, my friend. But sure, a call for a scrap is always the mature response to disliking the tone of one's posting. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 23 Sep 2017, 9:23 am

Regarding Rodney AH, we really do need him for the 'resting players' games. If we rest McCloskey, Coetzee and Hendy, we don't have many players who punch holes.

If he was able to tidy up his act he could be useful in bigger games. His fitness is improving

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 23 Sep 2017, 9:34 am

I have been unfortunate to have not been able to watch one Ulster game so far. Looks like I am missing some very good performances from them. Will have to try and watch a few back (if I can find them) to see exactly how well they are playing. Welcome back Ulster, I was sure ye would have a long season full of rebuilding.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:11 am

Someone asked for a fight?
That's not happened since the old BBC 606 when a certain poster asked to meet another at the gates of Ravenhill.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:31 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I would have to see the clip again, but I disagree that it was a matter of commitment like the Kearney/Scarlets incidents over the past few weeks. It looked a lot clumsier. The attacker had his back turned, had passed the ball, and then Ah You comes in leading the shoulder. It looked like a typical cheap shot.

I really think you do need to watch it again, how could Rodney see the ball was gone with the players back turned? He turned his back as he took the ball and passed it off in pretty much one movement, Ah You was already going in for the tackle, it looked clumsy but was just one of those things

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sat 23 Sep 2017, 2:52 pm

So - couple of observations.

Dragons looked utterly despondent after the first try. They knew they were there, for the most part, just to let the first team rest for the next home fixture. Not an enviable position.

Diack looked combative and aggressive. Couple of glimpses from Herring, as well, as to how he earned an Ireland cap. Would love those two to get back to their best.

Timoney was an absolute workhorse with a touch of the racehorse's speed. Not amazing, but fast, powerful, decisive. A world away from Wilson visibly declining last season. Don't know how much he will feature generally, but then Rea started against the Scarlets and went toe-to-toe. No reason Timoney couldn't do the same against tougher teams than that Dragons line-up.

What was genuinely fantastic to see, as other have mentioned, is that while Henry was off with Nick getting his MotM award, the rest of the team were in a circle, with Hendo and then Cave doing some pretty impassioned talking. Leadership within the team is invaluable, and we seem to have guys - players like Henry and Cave, who aren't wprldbeaters but whose most prized asset is their smarts - asserting themselves and steering the group. The delight across the whole team at Timoney and Shanahan both getting their first tries was a joy. Team spirit certainly looks to be better than it has been in several years.

Still think our strength in depth is too thin to win anything, and we will be brought down to earth with a bump a couple of times this season, but we really look to be going in the right direction.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 3:09 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I really think you do need to watch it again, how could Rodney see the ball was gone with the players back turned? He turned his back as he took the ball and passed it off in pretty much one movement, Ah You was already going in for the tackle, it looked clumsy but was just one of those things

I disagree. It looked clumsy because it was clumsy. Referee and TMO seemed to think so, I'm happy with that.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 4:14 pm

Your happy with a ref and TMO who don't know what a forward pass is? Makes sense I suppose

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:33 pm

marty2086 wrote:Your happy with a ref and TMO who don't know what a forward pass is? Makes sense I suppose

I don't know what incident you're talking about or how that would even be relevant to the Ah You shoulder charge. Makes sense I suppose.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:37 pm

"Referee and TMO seemed to think so, I'm happy with that."

That's amusing.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:44 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:"Referee and TMO seemed to think so, I'm happy with that."

That's amusing.

Not sure why. Sometimes I agree with the referee/TMO and other times I don't. In this instance I do, and I'm happy with that. Maybe some of the posters on here should realise that a lot of these calls are subjective and can go either way. Insinuating that someone is somehow lacking in intelligence because they agree/disagree with one of these calls is just silly.

What I do find amusing are the tag teams that sometimes arise on this site. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:52 pm

This is all getting a bit vitriolic (to say the least).

My thoughts on it are this, if you take the yellow card incident in isolation, then there may be a case for saying he was committed. However, Ah You goes into just about every tackle looking to make a massive hit. I said around the 20 minute mark in the game, on this page, that I was worried about the way he goes into tackles.

When you are constantly looking for a monster hit it only takes the slightest piece of mistiming or positioning for it to go wrong. I like his endeavour and mindset, but I also think in big games he is a liability. As I said previously, it won't always be in the 80th minute when we are 30 points ahead that this guy gets carded.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 5:59 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:This is all getting a bit vitriolic (to say the least).  

To say the least is right! Laugh

I think at this point I've been called a pu$$y, a wimp, a coward, an idiot, asked for a fight...I didn't realise he had such a fan club.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 6:13 pm

Officials who don't know some basic rules and continually got big decisions wrong aren't relevant?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 6:18 pm

marty2086 wrote:Officials who don't know some basic rules and continually got big decisions wrong aren't relevant?

Obvious straw man...

Look, let's drop this. We disagree, which is fine.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 23 Sep 2017, 6:42 pm

Nice to land back from USA and see Dragons going coast to coast. That's all I've seen, so I'll assume we won 5-0 Wink

Bit strange we've loaned Blacker, but seems like we should try keeping him a bit longer.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 7:35 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

You were a bit sensitive to my remark to wise up. That said, I was out of order, literally. I don't drink but I was on meds. Apologies for taking things too far. I am rightly embarrassed. I really don't want want to fight you. Not yet anyway Very Happy

P.s I did delete further posts because I was mortified. Not that yours were sparkling either.

Back to the game and the point of contention. Ah You lifted his game, and played very well in parts. What he does best is smash the opposition. Point taken about the penalties, but I'm hoping Gibbes can sort that out. For me, it was a great result, and evidence that Gibbes is having the desired impact. We do seem to have an edge that has been missing for the last few seasons. Certainly since Anscombe was given his marching orders.

A few stand outs last night, but Timoney was very good. Bowe seems to have found a bit of pace as well. Piutau was outstanding. Nelson did well enough and should be given more game time.

Lastly, I would do anything for the charity of my choice.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 10:07 pm

'Lastly, I would do anything for the charity of my choice.....'

Fighting the forum's most sanctimonious member for a worthy cause is a noble thing Munchkin.
P.S. don't be embarrassed about anything you posted. Some on here test the patience of a saint with almost every post.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 10:49 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:'Lastly, I would do anything for the charity of my choice.....'

Fighting the forum's most sanctimonious member for a worthy cause is a noble thing Munchkin.
P.S. don't be embarrassed about anything you posted. Some on here test the patience of a saint with almost every post.

I get that you don't like me very much, but it would be more impressive if you insulted me yourself instead of tagging along with other posters to do it. I also find it amusing that I'm called "sanctimonious" (favourite big word of the day apparently) for defending myself when others try to insult/challenge me. Perhaps it winds you up that I can dish it back better? Might as well have fun with it.

For the record, I have no ill feelings towards anyone else's online persona.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

You were a bit sensitive to my remark to wise up. That said, I was out of order, literally. I don't drink but I was on meds. Apologies for taking things too far. I am rightly embarrassed. I really don't want want to fight you. Not yet anyway Very Happy

P.s I did delete further posts because I was mortified. Not that yours were sparkling either.

Back to the game and the point of contention. Ah You lifted his game, and played very well in parts. What he does best is smash the opposition. Point taken about the penalties, but I'm hoping Gibbes can sort that out. For me, it was a great result, and evidence that Gibbes is having the desired impact. We do seem to have an edge that has been missing for the last few seasons. Certainly since Anscombe was given his marching orders.

A few stand outs last night, but Timoney was very good. Bowe seems to have found a bit of pace as well. Piutau was outstanding. Nelson did well enough and should be given more game time.

Munchkin, like I said there were no hard feelings after last night. I will say that I do think you or anyone else on here would have defended themselves against some of the insults and challenges that were made (the words that came after "wise up" for example). All of the saints on here suggesting otherwise should look up the definition for that word "sanctimonious".

I genuinely hope things are well with you, you haven't been posting as much as you once did.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 10:59 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

I get that you don't like me very much, but it would be more impressive if you insulted me yourself instead of tagging along with other posters to do it. I also find it amusing that I'm called "sanctimonious" (favourite big word of the day apparently) for defending myself when others try to insult/challenge me. Perhaps it winds you up that I can dish it back better? Might as well have fun with it.

For the record, I have no ill feelings towards anyone else's online persona.

Rory, you're a good bloke. Leave it there. Sure, I'm much the crazier one. No contest. Just let it rest. I know I'm a wee bit crazy. No excuse. You chill out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:02 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Munchkin, like I said there were no hard feelings after last night. I will say that I do think you or anyone else on here would have defended themselves against some of the insults and challenges that were made (the words that came after "wise up" for example). All of the saints on here suggesting otherwise should look up the definition for that word "sanctimonious".

I genuinely hope things are well with you, you haven't been posting as much as you once did.

My problems are mine to deal with, but thanks. My insults were never meant as insults. Just me being an arse. You're a good bloke. Let's leave it at that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:03 pm

OK

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:12 pm

Thanks Pete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:14 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:OK

So what do you want?

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:22 pm

Munchkin wrote:I'M going to delete. only to save your skin

I'll complain about my own post, as this thread is embarrassing and should've been locked up yesterday. Bit gutted I posted on it.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:26 pm

Sorry mate. I'm just as to blame. Stupid stuff. Risca. Don't worry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 11:32 pm

Look, lets let go of this. I'm done with it, and sure rory is. End off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Sep 2017, 10:20 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Still, a heavy defeat doesn't help anyone (except Ulster, of course).

We don't gain anything from not having a hard contest so despite what it does to my nerves, I hope the Dragons players really step up for this one.

Sorry about that. Sad

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Sep 2017, 11:26 am

This might be of interest:

'Jackman insists he has no regrets over the decision to ring the changes, despite some suggestions that the Dragons had given up the game.

'The head coach will stick to his guns and do the same with certain away games throughout the campaign.

"This is our squad and everybody else rotates their squad," he said. "The Irish have been doing it for years but what they have is depth when they don't have their frontline players.

"I need to get that depth and that's the project. Anyone who plays well will get bumped up the depth chart.

"If you look for a short-term fix all the time to give you comfort and you lose to Ulster by 10 points then that is not going to help you win games in January and February.

"We have to be very selfish about what the Dragons need this year so that we can be good next year.

"I believe we need a really good mix of targeting games to get that winning feeling and also need to upskill the players that don't play in those targeted games."

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15553932.Jackman__I__39_ll_be_ruthless_to_improve_Dragons__39__squad_depth/?ref=rl&lp=1

That all sounds fair enough to me.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next