The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 World Cup Discussion

+3
Duty281
Steffan
Luke
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2017 World Cup Discussion  - Page 2 Empty 2017 World Cup Discussion

Post by Luke Fri 27 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

2nd half of the first game of the 2017 World cup. Australia v England in Melbourne. 
Australia dominated the 1st half by miles. England coming back into it. Hall & Mcgilvery excellent. Widdop, Gale and Hodgson & Lomax, poor in my opinion.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

2017 World Cup Discussion  - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017 World Cup Discussion

Post by Luke Wed 15 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm

The Beast wrote:
George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:Small improvement from England, unless I imagined it there was a moment when Bateman passed to his winger (Ratchford), not sure who was more surprised!

They really should beat PNG on Sunday IMO.
I know its all about opinions, but i would have John Bateman and Ben Currie as my centres.
OK i will get my coat and leave Smile

Nothing wrong with an opinion that's what the forum is about.  Currie..........maybe, Bateman for me a top class SR but IMO lacks the pace, side-step or ball handling to be a threat against top class centres/defences.

Would agree there Beast. Which is why it makes it more surprising that he opted for Bateman.  Still don't understand why he left Shenton at home, or if he doesn't rate Percival  (which he doesn't seem to), why take him.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

And to the suprise of absolutely nobody. Australia beat a very poor Samoa side 46 -0 to qualify for next weekend'so semi's.

I saw Samoa 1st hand at craven park last world cup when they were exciting, strong and looked at very good side. Sadly this is a shadow of that side. In act you could argue that only Ireland & Papua new Guinea &Tonga have improved since that world cup.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 17 Nov 2017, 4:24 pm

Yes, an expected hammering delivered by Australia who haven't had to get out of second-gear so far in this World Cup. Very poor showing by Samoa all tournament; Ireland would have given a better contest.

I believe that the favoured trio of Tonga, New Zealand and England will all triumph this weekend, but I wouldn't rule out an upset in any of those games - If Tonga are complacent, if New Zealand struggle to cope with the pressure, if England play as they did against Lebanon, or for the first 40 of the Australia game, then we may see some more shocks.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 17 Nov 2017, 4:53 pm

Duty281 wrote:Yes, an expected hammering delivered by Australia who haven't had to get out of second-gear so far in this World Cup. Very poor showing by Samoa all tournament; Ireland would have given a better contest.

I believe that the favoured trio of Tonga, New Zealand and England will all triumph this weekend, but I wouldn't rule out an upset in any of those games - If Tonga are complacent, if New Zealand struggle to cope with the pressure, if England play as they did against Lebanon, or for the first 40 of the Australia game, then we may see some more shocks.

Your right about Australia being in 2nd gear. Worrying thing is they not needed to be anymore. Like I said Samoa just seem to have been really poor  (I know they have players like Milford  & Moors, missing but still). And what' worst is because they reached the QF they gaurentied a place in the next WC (2021 in England ), and this despite only drawing 1 game all tournament. Makes it a farce this 2 super group thing. 

I still think there will be 1 more shock. And I also think that the New Zealand/Fiji game is a 50/50 game. Agree about the other 2.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 18 Nov 2017, 6:43 am

Tonga beat Lebanon 24 - 22 in a thrilling game. To progress to the SF were they'll meet the winners of England/Papua new Guinea.

Lebanon played very well, proving once again the need for a proper international calender (Fiji's last game before this WC was 3 years ago). And that there is life outside the big 3, who should be doing all they can to help promote not only international RL, but in improving them. By providing decent opposition. 
But given that Australia are all about themselves, New Zealand are not interested in touring, and England only about the other 2. Can' see it happening.

PNG's renaissance, Tonga's brilliance at times, Lebanon's doggedNess, Ireland's improvement. Have all improved this WC. Which with how boring watching England is, Australia's refusal to get out of 2nd gear, is a good thing.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 18 Nov 2017, 9:06 am

Seen the try Lebanon had disallowed again . Really don't see what Ben Thaler saw to disallow it.

Anyway

Fiji provide the shock of this round by beating New Zealand 4 - 2, to go through and face Australia in the semi's.
 Just for shear tension, and for nerves this was everybit as thrilling as the 1st game. Fiji fully deserved the victory as they were by far the better side against a very poor Kiwis.

2 very good exciting games today.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sat 18 Nov 2017, 10:45 am

I can't call myself a big RL fan by any means, but from what I've seen it now looks like if England can find their best form, they should get through PNG and Tonga without too much trouble. But England are always England in a World Cup, whatever the sport Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 18 Nov 2017, 11:46 am

Marky wrote:I can't call myself a big RL fan by any means, but from what I've seen it now looks like if England can find their best form, they should get through PNG and Tonga without too much trouble. But England are always England in a World Cup, whatever the sport Laugh
Very Happy

In theory your right. But other than a 25 min spell v Lebanon, and the first half v France. We've been bang average this WC. Where as PNG and especially Tonga (who beat New Zealand in the group stage). Have been very impressive.
Add in the fact that they've got nothing to lose, and there's already been a couple of shocks. And it' more the case of keeping fingers crossed. 

And putting aside my bias in the matter.  If anything is going to help international RL,  it' got to be one of the biggest 3 not getting to the final.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 18 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm

Wonderful stuff today.

Tonga-Lebanon was arguably the game of the tournament. Lebanon’s attacking enterprise was a joy to behold, some stupendous tries, but Tonga’s physicality eventually sees them over. Interesting to see Tonga hanging on in the end; IF England get through tomorrow, they must replicate the free-flowing attack that Lebanon played to tire the Tongans out.

Then Fiji. Bizarre game. New Zealand seemed to be frozen by last week’s defeat, though Fiji, too, had no cutting edge.

It has been a superb tournament.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 19 Nov 2017, 5:44 am

Anyone up watching the England v PNG game?

I just tuned in. England look to be in charge from what I have seen

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:06 am

Steffan wrote:Anyone up watching the England v PNG game?

I just tuned in. England look to be in charge from what I have seen

They're comfortable. To many errors and allowing PNG cheap yards. But don' t look that much in trouble.  Hodgson disrabution terrible.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:17 am

This games really scrappy. Don' think Australia or even Tonga will be shaking on this performance.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 19 Nov 2017, 6:58 am

England win 36 -6, in a scrappy game PNG really didn't turn up today. McGilvery was a different class. Some good play, but far to many cheap errors, and average Rugby. Will need to improve for next week.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 19 Nov 2017, 1:39 pm

Missed today's game unfortunately however a 56% does not appear too flash. That said if I had been offered me
36 -6 pre-game I would have snatched their hand off.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 19 Nov 2017, 3:23 pm

Poor performance from England. Far too many errors, too few sets completed and poor kicking. Play like that against Australia and it will be a thumping; play like that next week and it could be the plane home.

England were fortunate that PNG were spent in terms of energy from about the 30th minute and that they struggled to adapt to the Super League style officiating of the referee.

England are only narrow favourites with the bookmakers for next Saturday, and I think that says a lot.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 21 Nov 2017, 1:08 am

The NRL have missed a great opportunity to return to having only one ref
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/opinion/phil-rothfield/blog-with-buzz-nrl-blows-its-referees-experiment-at-rlwc/news-story/6ec60d55cde7d14e307e3a061e0fc336

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 24 Nov 2017, 3:43 pm

Australia cruise into another final.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 24 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:Australia cruise into another final.

Only saw highlights,  but it looked very easy in there 54 - 6 win. Disappointed by Fiji.

Strange was thinking if England win we get to the final. Which at the start we would have bitten hands off for. Yet it' been a really poor campaign.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 24 Nov 2017, 5:30 pm

Yes, I saw the opening 15-20 minutes, and switched off as Australia were simply blowing Fiji away. No contest.

England could well get to the final (and lose it) having not defeated either of the traditional big nations, Australia and New Zealand, which would be unusual.

My main worry is that England and Tonga will play an ultra-intense semi-final, leaving the winners in no fit state to play Australia in next week's final - like what happened to the Kiwis in 2013.

England should win the semi-final. They need to make an improvement from the PNG game, but they are more experienced, make fewer errors and are fitter as a team than the Tongans. Lebanon showed the way: keep the ball in hand, get it wide, and run the Tongans into the ground.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 24 Nov 2017, 8:53 pm

I think it will be a hard fought match tomorrow maybe even 50/50 and yes I share Duty's concerns regarding how demanding it could be. One other issue for the winner is the travel particularly for England playing the Q/F in Aus, semi in Wellington and hopefully back to Aus for the final.

Just watching the Aus/Fiji highlights, I just cannot see them be beaten, skills, techniques and running lines too clinical.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 25 Nov 2017, 1:52 am

The Beast wrote:I think it will be a hard fought match tomorrow maybe even 50/50 and yes I share Duty's concerns regarding how demanding it could be.  One other issue for the winner is the travel particularly for England playing the Q/F in Aus, semi in Wellington and hopefully back to Aus for the final.

Just watching the Aus/Fiji highlights, I just cannot see them be beaten, skills, techniques and running lines too clinical.
If we beat Tonga we will have to play extremely well to beat Australia and they will have to play below the standards they have set so far.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:08 am

England win 20 - 18. For 70 mins a solid performance. Great defence but nothing attacking wise. Then for the last 10 Tonga brilliant fightback to get within 2.

Really good game. But it' Australia's to lose.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:24 am

Just seem a replay of the last second thing. A, I think it' a try and a massive let off for England. B, why after you sent everything else upstairs (including Tonga's 1st and Bateman's try that even on 1st viewing there was clearly nothing wrong with ). Does he not send that one upstairs to the video ref.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:46 am

For 60/70 minutes, a very good English performance. Their best of the tournament.

For 10 minutes, what an astonishing fightback. And yes, Tonga should be in the final, as it was a try at the very end.

Sport is cruel.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 25 Nov 2017, 10:55 am

Pretty well agree with you except for me that is a loose carry with Whitehead grabbing the arm not the ball. However I agree a razor wire decision that 100% should have gone to the Video Ref...........and from there who knows.

England will imo have to be fault free to have any chance next week, how good would it be though.

As a side note fantastic to see Journalist Gary Carter back working in game 2 years from being attacked after the Eng v NZ game at Wembley.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:24 pm

The Beast wrote:Pretty well agree with you except for me that is a loose carry with Whitehead grabbing the arm not the ball.  However I agree a razor wire decision that 100% should have gone to the Video Ref...........and from there who knows.

England will imo have to be fault free to have any chance next week, how good would it be though.

As a side note fantastic to see Journalist Gary Carter back working in game 2 years from being attacked after the Eng v NZ game at Wembley.

Yeah it' great that Gary's back working. 

Think England will need to improve there attack, as we hardly created anything. You're not going to beat Australia on defence alone.
But as you say, anything can happen in 80 mins.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 30 Nov 2017, 3:09 pm

Heighington back in on bench for Roby, who starts due to Hodgson's injury. Not the team I'd pick.

2 days to go come on England. Let' keep the fact that Australia have never won a WC at home going.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 01 Dec 2017, 3:13 pm

Sean o'loughlin out. Burgess will captain and move into the LF role. Ben Currie will be in the SR, with Johnny Lomax being bought in on the bench.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 01 Dec 2017, 4:48 pm

The only way that I can see England winning this is if they catch Australia cold. Score 2 or more tries in the opening quarter, get a 10-0/12-0 lead, and see how the hosts respond to the pressure (a pressure that Australia haven't been under in this tournament, so far).

Otherwise, Australia do look stronger in near-enough every area.

Hope it's a good final. International rugby league would, perhaps, be boosted by a English victory.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 02 Dec 2017, 4:15 am

I hope Australia stuff them as I couldn't bear the thought of some of those idiots who chanted xenophobic abuse during the Celtic Crusaders matches I attended years ago being happy and covered in glory

I rate England's chances though if they get off to a good start. If the Aussie's get tries early on then it could be all over by half time. But if it is pretty even by then England have every chance

I didn't bother betting any money mind

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 02 Dec 2017, 9:53 am

Half time, everything we needed to win imo has not happened, Aus dominant in possession and all other stats, so few errors. England good in defense Gale kicking well but too many errors and dumb penalties (Sam Burgess).

Good news it's only 6 - 0 I am concerned the dam will break as it goes on.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 02 Dec 2017, 9:57 am

Australia are clearly the better team but England have held on well and made some attacks also. The next score will be crucial

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 02 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

England played a very good game fair do

Well done Australia. Another world cup in the cabinet OK

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 02 Dec 2017, 10:57 am

Decent game. Well done Australia.

England will be full of regrets. Same problems afflicted them in this game as in the very first: too many errors, lack of composure in the Australia 20 and inferior kicking.

It was Australia’s type of game. A real grind. They’re incredibly difficult to beat.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 02 Dec 2017, 11:01 am

Yes, Congratulations to Australia, only conceding 16 points through the tournament amazing.

England, physically I could not ask for more, immense incredible effort just coming up short, the ankle tap on Watkins, so so close. Proved they belong in the final.

How a game that fast and physical finished 6-0 is beyond me.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 02 Dec 2017, 1:56 pm

Agree.
Couldn't  ask for more competed really well, defensively excellent. Just didn't attack Australia'send edges enough (Watkins had the beating of Duggan), and couldn't get any pressure due to stupid errors. Especially in the Aussie 20. But otherwise a good effort.

Really enjoyed the final though. Everything you could want from a final. Tense, nerve racking, thrilling, a competitive games throughout. A great ending to what on the pitch has been a good tournament. 

Congratulations Australia.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun 03 Dec 2017, 7:37 am

A very tough game for players from both sides. There will be some aching bodies today

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2