The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

+23
geoff999rugby
ScarletSpiderman
marty2086
mikey_dragon
maestegmafia
Cardiff Dave
BamBam
RiscaGame
Luckless Pedestrian
LordDowlais
LondonTiger
21st Century Schizoid Man
SecretFly
TightHEAD
XR
Welly
Exiledinborders
munkian
George Carlin
formerly known as Sam
TJ
Pot Hale
Scottrf
27 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams - Page 7 Empty WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Oct - 21:40

First topic message reminder :

I was reading this story in the Mail on Sunday yesterday, and I thought it would cause a good debate on here, it seems that the WRU want to bring Welsh players back to Wales, and they want to start by bankrolling a deal to bring George North back at the end of the season.

Is this a start where we see more and more players being put into Dragons ?

It was also said that the WRU want to bankroll keeping the more experienced players in Wales as well, with AWJ being mentioned as a lynch pin and an ideal example of how this is done going forward. I for one hope that none of this is pie in the sky, I hope they really do target Welsh players playing abroad and get them back at the regions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5027991/WRU-chiefs-set-bankroll-George-North-s-return-Wales.html

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wru-ready-bankroll-bid-bring-13826967

Also, for those of you who do not like going onto sites:-

• WRU chiefs are ready to bankroll deal to bring George North back to Wales at the end of the season

• George North is out of contract with Northampton and is yet to sign a new deal

• North one of top earners at top level but top brass say they can now afford him

• Chairman Gareth Davies believes the regions can now bankroll North's services

• Davies also pushing proposals to reduce the size of the WRU board from 20 to 10

The Lions winger is out of contract with Northampton, who he joined from the Scarlets in 2013, and is yet to sign a new deal.
North is one of the top earners in the Premiership but chairman Gareth Davies believes the regions can now afford his services.
The new 60-cap selection policy makes it easier for the WRU to retain young players – leaving more National Dual Contract funds for Test stars.

‘George North will always be a target,’ Davies told the Mail on Sunday. ‘Now we’re in a better position to get him back. We want little Jonny to be able to go and see his favourite player in Wales.
‘We’ve succeeded in bringing Jonathan Davies and Leigh Halfpenny back. Is it good for the wider game if all the best players are playing in England? I don’t think so but it’s their right to do so.
‘In the past, we’ve used NDC money to keep youngsters who were tempted to move abroad and try to play for Wales. Now we can use it to bring them back or retain more experienced guys.

‘Someone like Alun-Wyn Jones has got to be a prime target to keep in Wales. He is important for the game, his region and the national team. He’ll be a lynchpin in getting the Ospreys back on track.’
Davies is currently pushing proposals to reduce the size of the WRU board from 20 to 10 – with a separate council for the community game – to replace a system which is ‘140 years old’.
‘Look at what’s happening with the FA; Sports bodies are expected to behave in a certain way,’ he said. ‘We’re a £75million business and we should have a modern-day, streamlined structure.
‘You go to district meetings and they’ve been talking about the same things for 20 years. At some meetings now the community game is hardly discussed. It’s like we’ve got 14 forwards and one back.’

Last edited by LordDowlais on Tue 9 Oct - 2:31; edited 19 times in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams - Page 7 Empty Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

Post by PhilBB Wed 11 Jul - 18:26

mikey_dragon wrote:I don't rate Thornton much so it doesn't make sense from Cardiff's point of view

He's Welsh. And probably better than Ben Murphy and James Down.

Cardiff also have three teams to run next season.

I can't see why it doesn't make sense.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams - Page 7 Empty Re: WRU want to bring players back to Wales - Cardiff Blues show interest in Josh Adams

Post by PhilBB Wed 11 Jul - 18:30

RiscaGame wrote:It makes perfect sense to loan him out. They have to bring through Beard now, as it is and he might not always get the starts he wants if AWJ and BBBD are fit.

For the Os, loaning him out is bonkers. If they lose three players to the international squad, they'll be on their arse for second rows during three months of the season.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 11 Jul - 21:12

mikey_dragon wrote:I don't rate Thornton much so it doesn't make sense from Cardiff's point of view - just bringing in another average player to join the other average ones instead of actually strengthening the weak points. I also expect AWJ, BD and Beard to be in the Wales squad. I would like to see more of Beard involved in the Wales matchday squad especially.

Not rating him either, your not very good when you can't get ahead of Ashley in the pecking order.

Surely, the Blues will have Samu Manoa packing down at 2nd row. Him and Earle would form a very physical pairing.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 12 Jul - 5:35

PhilBB wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:It makes perfect sense to loan him out. They have to bring through Beard now, as it is and he might not always get the starts he wants if AWJ and BBBD are fit.

For the Os, loaning him out is bonkers. If they lose three players to the international squad, they'll be on their arse for second rows during three months of the season.

Fair point. I wasn’t really thinking of international windows, to be honest.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 12 Jul - 11:30

PhilBB wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I don't rate Thornton much so it doesn't make sense from Cardiff's point of view

I don't know who Ben Murphy is, but we're not exactly churning out massive lock forwards that's for sure.

I said why, you didn't quote it. Anyway I see you've also signed Samu Manoa which is a damn good signing even though he's a little old; should fit right into the pack I guess....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 12 Jul - 11:31

RiscaGame wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

Did Ospreys also sign a Georgian lock, or was that my imagination? Either way they're likely to lose 3 locks during the international window.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 12 Jul - 19:07

mikey_dragon wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

Did Ospreys also sign a Georgian lock, or was that my imagination? Either way they're likely to lose 3 locks during the international window.

He's more of a back row / flanker.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 12 Jul - 19:08

mikey_dragon wrote:
PhilBB wrote:

I don't know who Ben Murphy is, but we're not exactly churning out massive lock forwards that's for sure.

I said why, you didn't quote it. Anyway I see you've also signed Samu Manoa which is a damn good signing even though he's a little old; should fit right into the pack I guess....

I didn't need to quote it. If you don't know who Ben Murphy is, I'm not sure how you can make a claim on the value of Thornton to Cardiff.

Manoa is only 33. Spring chicken at Cardiff.
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 17 Jul - 3:05

I know it's not bringing a player home as such, but Ospreys announce signing of record-breaking Wales sevens star Luke Morgan.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 9 Oct - 2:27

If Josh Adams wants to continue playing for Wales, then he needs to come back to one of the regions and with his contract at Worcester up at the end of the season, it looks as though Cardiff Blues are showing an interest.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 9 Oct - 4:04

The irony being no-one was interested in him until he started performing in what was the AP

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 9 Oct - 5:00

It will be interesting to watch this one play out over the coming months. He will be this seasons Moriarty
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 9 Oct - 5:41

Nah, it’ll be more like this season’s North.

That said, this has come from a nothing clickbait article from WOL (shock). Bit disappointed that it came from Mark Orders too. Not one direct quote or source and just an article saying Cardiff Blues are mulling over whether to make a move.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Wed 10 Oct - 3:01

RiscaGame wrote:Nah, it’ll be more like this season’s North.

That said, this has come from a nothing clickbait article from WOL (shock). Bit disappointed that it came from Mark Orders too. Not one direct quote or source and just an article saying Cardiff Blues are mulling over whether to make a move.

Dickie will go for any Welsh Qualified player of quality. The back three will need strengthening with the sad and likely loss of Rhun Williams.

However, the downside is the negotiation of compensation for Team Wales players for next season. After the RWC, when will they next play?
PhilBB
PhilBB

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 10 Oct - 3:24

I am sure, most if not all of them are interested, but I just find articles like this a little pointless.

I did read (when I read the article) about Rhun Williams. It is a huge shame that.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 10 Oct - 5:13

I’m assuming that if Adams signs a contract with a Welsh team soon, he’ll feature in the Wales squad despite being at Worcester. Cardiff could do with full-back cover given Morgans inability to tackle.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 10 Oct - 5:19

LondonTiger wrote:The irony being no-one was interested in him until he started performing in what was the AP

Why is it ironic?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Oct - 5:27

mikey_dragon wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:The irony being no-one was interested in him until he started performing in what was the AP

Why is it ironic?

Alright Alanis!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 10 Oct - 5:37

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Why is it ironic?

Alright Alanis!

Eh?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Oct - 5:45

mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Why is it ironic?

Alright Alanis!

Eh?

Alanis Morrisette. Probably before your time Mikey!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 10 Oct - 5:55

The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Why is it ironic?

Alright Alanis!

Eh?

Alanis Morrisette. Probably before your time Mikey!

Oh... I quite like her. I was unfamiliar with her music until I ventured into Canada. You Oughta Know.

Still struggle to see what LT believes to be ironic. It’s quite often that players move around and become better because of it. If anything it’s a testament to Adams’ will and determination. I’ve not been unimpressed with him yet either...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7