The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Mr Bounce on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 2:19 pm

So it's time for the longest serving of our current Heavyweight Beltholders to make a defence tonight. Stiverne weighed in significantly heavier than Wilder at 254lbs. He also looked overweight and out of shape. He's barely fought since their first fight - just a points win vs Derric Rossy where he was knocked down at the end of the first. This was back in 2015 though and he hasn't fought since. It's hardly the best preparation for a tilt at a world belt.

So is this just a formality for Wilder? Unless he gets sloppy, there's no reason why Deontay shouldn't walk this. I firmly believe that Stiverne's turned up heavy with the thought that it's s**t or bust and will throw bombs at Wilder until he falls over or Stiverne runs out of puff. We all know what happened in the first fight where Wilder boxed from range and took everyone by surprise, so Stiverne's either going route one throwing big punches or he's just turned up for the paycheque.

Don't think that this will go further than 5.

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2534
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Just John on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 2:47 pm

Yep, just a formality. Nearly 40 now is Stiverne. Winner faces Breazeale v Molina? Awful stuff

Just John

Posts : 2388
Join date : 2016-08-17

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by wheelchair1991 on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 9:18 pm

Wilder will win by KO this time, hopefully it's better then the European heavyweight title fight

wheelchair1991

Posts : 2114
Join date : 2011-07-03
Age : 29
Location : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by 3fingers on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 9:19 am

Those windmills are dangerous. They can put Joshua to sleep.

If Joshua stays at 250lb (plus) then he'll need to work hard on his head movement to avoid those bombs.

The safest bet would be to lose weight, then he can use his feet along with straight shots down the pipe to avoid Wilders looping swings.


3fingers

Posts : 1482
Join date : 2013-10-15

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Herman Jaeger on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 10:20 am

It was reported Eddie Hearn has indicated that Joshua will fight at least twice more before considering facing Wilder in what would be a highly anticipated showdown between the two unbeaten knockout artists

Surely this fight is primed for Wembley in the summer? Surely Parker next then Wilder in summer? Maybe someone’s got that wrong

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Happytravelling on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 11:50 pm

Sounds sensible.

For all the hype, AJ is still a relative novice. A few more fights won't hurt.

Not sure if it's needed, but it won't hurt.

Wilders wild swings, against shorter men, look impressive but AJ packs a punch and AJs chin looks better.

Good win for wilder but still didn't see anything we didn't know. He can beat up fat, slow opponents.

Happytravelling

Posts : 889
Join date : 2011-07-23

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by melv500 on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 1:22 pm

Wilder looked good but yes against a limited short fat opponent who didnt really look like he did not want to be there.

I think if AJ shed some weight and muscle he beats Wilder but he might be a bit too slow and easy to hit. Wilder has long arms and AJ may not get out the way if he is too big. I genuinely think its a who lands first fight.

Also Wilder looked very very pumped, I really hope he isnt taking any supplements he isn't supposed to......

melv500

Posts : 389
Join date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Mr Bounce on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 3:57 pm

Wilder may be crude but he is certainly effective. Trouble is, when the best 2 names on your resume are Szpilka and Areola, it's not much to shout about. Granted, if you take away Wlad, Joshua's isn't much better but then he's had half the number of fights. Whilst Joshua fought for the IBF title (a gift, really) in his 16th bout, Wilder fought Doug Kaluza. Nope, me neither.

Still, let's not get caught up in their respective records - these guys are (supposedly) on a collision course where somebody's 0 has to go. Wilder is always pumped for his fights - he's a naturally mouthy guy who likes to whip the crowd into a frenzy. I would like to think that the reason for him to be so animated this time round was because he didn't really want to fight Stiverne again and wasnted to prove a point. The guy was a no-hoper, un-trained, overweight and just there to pick up his paycheque. Wilder also wanted to KO him as he's the only opponent that had seen the final bell.

I think AJ now realises that he doesn't just have to turn up to KO people. It was a poor showing by his usual explosive standards, although he was never really in any danger of losing. I think he'll be a little more focussed from now on and might shift a bit of excess timber. He won't fight Wilder next (I see Deontay taking on Breazeale myself), so maybe a voluntary defence if they can't get Parker, who seems to be looking for alternatives. A good test might be Jarrell Miller who's getting a bit shouty over the pond and has a fight with Marius Wach coming up. He could be a useful test as Joshua's not been in against too many punchers. He's rated by both the WBA & IBF. Mind you, he does have a habit of coming in very heavy. I've no desire to see him against Christian Hammer or a rematch against Dillian Whyte.

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2534
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Herman Jaeger on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 2:41 pm

Love to see a Joshua Miller fight but Miller’s going to have to wait a while till he might get that fight

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by LionsV2 on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 3:09 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Love to see a Joshua Miller fight but Miller’s going to have to wait a while till he might get that fight

Which of his fights is a good starting point to watch him?

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by BoxingFan88 on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 3:29 pm

LionsV2 wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Love to see a Joshua Miller fight but Miller’s going to have to wait a while till he might get that fight

Which of his fights is a good starting point to watch him?

Certainly not his last one, he looked abysmal

Mind you it was the first time I had seen him, so maybe he always does?

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by BoxingFan88 on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 3:29 pm

I can't wait for Joshua to get his hands on Wilder

Man its going to be a pasting

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Herman Jaeger on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:10 pm

https://youtu.be/vU2TesNViuI

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by melv500 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm

Parker in talks with AJ apparently. I'd be happy with this fight next. AJ a firm favourite but I don't think Parker will be the pushover everyone thinks he will be. I'd back AJ to stop him in around 8 rounds but if Parker has decent whiskers which is a bit unknown he could cause problems. Let's see.....

melv500

Posts : 389
Join date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Scottrf on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:15 pm

Parker is terrible IMO. Fully expect him to be destroyed.

Scottrf

Posts : 14189
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by smashingstormcrow on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:58 pm

Don't you think it's more likely that Parker will fight the winner of Bellew/Haye? Joshua to take a routine defence, before facing the winner of that trio... Wembley or Olympic stadium around September 2018. AJ/Wilder in Summer 2019...

smashingstormcrow

Posts : 279
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by LionsV2 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 1:18 pm

smashingstormcrow wrote:Don't you think it's more likely that Parker will fight the winner of Bellew/Haye? Joshua to take a routine defence, before facing the winner of that trio... Wembley or Olympic stadium around September 2018. AJ/Wilder in Summer 2019...

Joshua and Hearn will want to maximise their returns and the paucity of talent out there I'd expect him to fight Parker, Wilder and Haye, makes no sense waiting for them to lose.

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by melv500 on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 1:39 pm

Sky Sports now saying talks in progress with Wilder instead of Parker like they stated earlier. i hope he fights one of the two next but I cant be bothered to speculate who he will actually fight next as Eddie will probably milk him more before going in with a live opponent again.

melv500

Posts : 389
Join date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by BoxingFan88 on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 9:59 am

melv500 wrote:Sky Sports now saying talks in progress with Wilder instead of Parker like they stated earlier. i hope he fights one of the two next but I cant be bothered to speculate who he will actually fight next as Eddie will probably milk him more before going in with a live opponent again.

Regardless of the talks, that fight ain't happening till next year, its a stadium fight in the summer

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by melv500 on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 11:40 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:
melv500 wrote:Sky Sports now saying talks in progress with Wilder instead of Parker like they stated earlier. i hope he fights one of the two next but I cant be bothered to speculate who he will actually fight next as Eddie will probably milk him more before going in with a live opponent again.

Regardless of the talks, that fight ain't happening till next year, its a stadium fight in the summer

What about Parker? Reckon that would be after so they can milk another stadium assuming they both still have their belts? I think Parker could be done before in an arena.

melv500

Posts : 389
Join date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by alanqlm on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 1:53 pm

Honestly can't see Hearn putting another Joshua fight on in an arena for a long time. Not in the UK anyway. He knows Joshua will sell out stadiums regardless of who he fights at the minute so expect a combination of Cardiff and Wembley to host his next few fights.

Unless he takes him to the US.

alanqlm

Posts : 635
Join date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by melv500 on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 4:17 pm

alanqlm wrote:Honestly can't see Hearn putting another Joshua fight on in an arena for a long time. Not in the UK anyway. He knows Joshua will sell out stadiums regardless of who he fights at the minute so expect a combination of Cardiff and Wembley to host his next few fights.

Unless he takes him to the US.

Good point and this is exactly why I want to see Joshua lose.

melv500

Posts : 389
Join date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Herman Jaeger on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 5:07 pm

Eddie would love to sign Wilder and if he did he would have three of the best heavyweights(arguably) in the world(Joshua, Miller)

But would it be a good move for Wilder to sign with Hearn? It just might be might’nt it

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by melv500 on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 8:33 pm

Hmmmm maybe. He might do well with the Joshua fight but if he comes through that I'm not sure he would be that marketable here. Also the US stations would be all over a undisputed HW and not sure Eddie would be his best option there.

melv500

Posts : 389
Join date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by BoxingFan88 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 1:14 pm

melv500 wrote:
alanqlm wrote:Honestly can't see Hearn putting another Joshua fight on in an arena for a long time. Not in the UK anyway. He knows Joshua will sell out stadiums regardless of who he fights at the minute so expect a combination of Cardiff and Wembley to host his next few fights.

Unless he takes him to the US.

Good point and this is exactly why I want to see Joshua lose.

Come again?

You want our unified HW Champ to lose????

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by alanqlm on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 1:19 pm

Lose to who though? It's not like we're going to see Wilder or Parker fight regularly in the UK, anybody outside them 2 completely destroys any momentum the heavyweight division has picked up lately.

And if any UK fighter beats him you can bet that Hearn will have them straight on Box Office for any fight they have and probably pushing for them fighting in stadiums too.

Personally I'd like to see Joshua keep winning as I think he can only be a good thing for heavyweight boxing as he brings more attention to the sport in general.

alanqlm

Posts : 635
Join date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Just John on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 9:42 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Love to see a Joshua Miller fight but Miller’s going to have to wait a while till he might get that fight

Saw Miller vs Wach last night. Miller is absolutely awful, on a level with Chisora. No power, flabby & basically has one gear. Joshua knocks him out in one or two rounds.

Just John

Posts : 2388
Join date : 2016-08-17

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by melv500 on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 1:09 pm

alanqlm wrote:Lose to who though? It's not like we're going to see Wilder or Parker fight regularly in the UK, anybody outside them 2 completely destroys any momentum the heavyweight division has picked up lately.

And if any UK fighter beats him you can bet that Hearn will have them straight on Box Office for any fight they have and probably pushing for them fighting in stadiums too.

Personally I'd like to see Joshua keep winning as I think he can only be a good thing for heavyweight boxing as he brings more attention to the sport in general.

Yes I'd love him to lose. I just hate the PR machine behind it all. His interviews just stink of media training and all the cowpat side videos like buying his old a trainer a car which would have been a genuine nice gesture if he hadn't felt the need to film it. His fights are on PPV regardless of opponent and I refuse to pay to watch him as PPV should be for elite fights so I have to wait for replays. His fights are all going to be In stadiums now fans getting ripped off by StubHub. I think it's tragic the road we are going down with British fighters ripping off the public. So yes the sooner he gets beat and back on normal events the better.

Not sure who but considering how many times he's been stopped in sparring and as an amateurr. . Shook to his boots by a one armed Whyte and nearly taken out by a chinny 41 year old who was inactive for 18 months coming off a loss to Fury I don't think I'll be waiting too long.

melv500

Posts : 389
Join date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Herman Jaeger on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 1:06 pm

Just John wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Love to see a Joshua Miller fight but Miller’s going to have to wait a while till he might get that fight

Saw Miller vs Wach last night. Miller is absolutely awful, on a level with Chisora. No power, flabby & basically has one gear. Joshua knocks him out in one or two rounds.

Probably, Miller admits Joshua is a difficult fight in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDkqKn84mo

Miller didn’t look great against Wach by all accounts but that said Wach is very awkward and nobody looks good against him. Miller had a bad left elbow in the fight too

Let’s see Miller in with Whyte then we’ll know a lot more

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by BoxingFan88 on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 7:46 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:
Just John wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Love to see a Joshua Miller fight but Miller’s going to have to wait a while till he might get that fight

Saw Miller vs Wach last night. Miller is absolutely awful, on a level with Chisora. No power, flabby & basically has one gear. Joshua knocks him out in one or two rounds.

Probably, Miller admits Joshua is a difficult fight in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDkqKn84mo

Miller didn’t look great against Wach by all accounts but that said Wach is very awkward and nobody looks good against him. Miller had a bad left elbow in the fight too

Let’s see Miller in with Whyte then we’ll know a lot more

I've never seen Miller look good against anyone remotely good...

BoxingFan88

Posts : 3759
Join date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by alanqlm on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 6:37 pm

Was really looking forward to seeing Miller on Saturday night as I've never seen him before but heard good things.

But have to agree with the previous post comparing him with Chisora, only thing that separates them for me is one is American, a few birthdays and a 0. Nothing that he done against Wach makes me think he has a chance against any one of the champions.

Even the likes of Povetkin and Pulev make light work of him in my opinion.

alanqlm

Posts : 635
Join date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Herman Jaeger on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 11:14 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:
Just John wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Love to see a Joshua Miller fight but Miller’s going to have to wait a while till he might get that fight

Saw Miller vs Wach last night. Miller is absolutely awful, on a level with Chisora. No power, flabby & basically has one gear. Joshua knocks him out in one or two rounds.

Probably, Miller admits Joshua is a difficult fight in this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDkqKn84mo

Miller didn’t look great against Wach by all accounts but that said Wach is very awkward and nobody looks good against him. Miller had a bad left elbow in the fight too

Let’s see Miller in with Whyte then we’ll know a lot more

I've never seen Miller look good against anyone remotely good...

http://www.boxingscene.com/jarrell-miller-i-stop-dillian-whyte-four-five-rounds--122532

Seems willing to fight anyone though, and in this day and age that’s got to be a good thing

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by LionsV2 on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 11:28 am

Everyone talks a good game, a bit different to actually fighting anyone.

LionsV2

Posts : 791
Join date : 2017-07-12

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Mr Bounce on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 12:51 pm

Maybe, but I would wager he has fought opposition on a par with Wilder's last few bouts. Only difference being that Wilder, despite his windmill technique does actually carry some power.

I sense that Miller is a loudmouth backed up by yes men. Nothing wrong with being confident. Just don't think he's good enough for the top table.

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2534
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Herman Jaeger on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 2:29 pm

The Dillan Whyte fight will tell us a lot more..

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3241
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by 3fingers on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 9:34 pm

Yeah that wasnt the real Stiverne, but Wilder did what he had to do. Ask yourself this...

Would Povetkin, Ortiz, Wilder, Parker, Joshua, Ortiz, or Fury finished (that) Stiverne in the same manner. In the first round.

Wilder has more than a decent chance of beating
Joshua. His lack of brain and technique, combined with power makes him very dangerous for Joshua.
He has two ways of winning..

1) Mindlessly swing agressively and catch Joshua early.

2) Some how survive till round 8band get a stoppage between 9 and 12 (he's supremely fit athlete who carries his power and workrate late, from what I've seen).

3fingers

Posts : 1482
Join date : 2013-10-15

Back to top Go down

Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality Empty Re: Wilder vs Stiverne II - Just a Formality

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum