The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017/18 Aviva Premiership Round Eight

+11
BigTrevsbigmac
HongKongCherry
englishborn
Geordie
stnick88
Ozzy3213
formerly known as Sam
Welly
beshocked
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2017/18 Aviva Premiership Round Eight - Page 2 Empty 2017/18 Aviva Premiership Round Eight

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 14 Nov 2017, 2:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Friday, 17th November

Gloucester vs Saracens (19:45)

Saturday, 18th November

Worcester vs Northampton (13:00)
Wasps vs Newcastle (17:15)

Sunday, 19th November

Exeter vs Harlequins (15:00)
Leicester vs Sale (15:00)
London Irish vs Bath (15:00)

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

2017/18 Aviva Premiership Round Eight - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017/18 Aviva Premiership Round Eight

Post by nathan Sun 19 Nov 2017, 5:16 pm

Well that was better than expected, bonus point won

nathan

Back to top Go down

2017/18 Aviva Premiership Round Eight - Page 2 Empty Re: 2017/18 Aviva Premiership Round Eight

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 19 Nov 2017, 8:20 pm

nathan wrote:Well that was better than expected, bonus point won

Not a perfect game from us but a five point win is very handy. With Sarries and Saints losing it helps us nicely in the league picture.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 20 Nov 2017, 8:41 am

Well done Gloucester. OK More clinical side on the day. That young no 9 was an inspirational substitution. I would given him MOTM as he was the spark which ignited Gloucester.

Agree about Lozowski not doing himself any favours. If he wants to challenge that 10/12 shirts will need to do much better.

Of course Saracens missed some important players who could have potentially unlocked the Gloucester defence but impressive defending.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 20 Nov 2017, 11:58 am

beshocked wrote:Well done Gloucester. OK More clinical side on the day. That young no 9 was an inspirational substitution. I would given him MOTM as he was the spark which ignited Gloucester.

Agree about Lozowski not doing himself any favours. If he wants to challenge that 10/12 shirts will need to do much better.

Of course Saracens missed some important players who could have potentially unlocked the Gloucester defence but impressive defending.

On the other hand if we had Moriarty, Morgan, Williams, Woodward, Sharples and Marshall we could've beaten you by more... Wink

Given how well you've played recently I do wonder if you took us for granted? Your backrow was immensely experienced, yet were outplayed by a youthful unit, who were more dynamic and physical.

This was the 4th fantastic game between these sides at Kingsholm, perhaps made better by 3 of these being wins for Glaws! But it really is a fixture to look forward to.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 20 Nov 2017, 12:17 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
beshocked wrote:Well done Gloucester. OK More clinical side on the day. That young no 9 was an inspirational substitution. I would given him MOTM as he was the spark which ignited Gloucester.

On the other hand if we had Moriarty, Morgan, Williams, Woodward, Sharples and Marshall we could've beaten you by more... Wink

Given how well you've played recently I do wonder if you took us for granted?  Your backrow was immensely experienced, yet were outplayed by a youthful unit, who were more dynamic and physical.

This was the 4th fantastic game between these sides at Kingsholm, perhaps made better by 3 of these being wins for Glaws! But it really is a fixture to look forward to.

I don't really rate any of those Gloucester absentees that much to be honest. I think it's been your youngsters doing the job well.

You certainly look better without Morgan that's for sure. Tells a story that your absentee backrowers haven't really been missed.

Saracens reliance on some of our bigger names is a bit worrying. Struggling in the LV Cup and a lack of firepower without the players on international duty isn't great.

Not at all - I have been moaning about the fixture list - having to play Gloucester away and Exeter home - 2 of the toughest games during the IW.

Experienced perhaps but we had a lock at 6 and a 7 at 8. So 2 players out of position. Losing Wray in warm up hurt the cohesion of the pack quite badly, also meant Isiekwe had to start instead of being off the bench.

I do feel like Gloucester up their game vs Saracens.

I expected a better performance from Lozowski too to be honest. If he had a better game things could have been different. Very frustating.

I do feel that Gloucester have a lot to be optimistic about now.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 Nov 2017, 1:19 pm

It is rather harsh to place all the blame on Lozowski. Wiggy was at his ponderous worst, and never offers a running threat so it was easy for Loz to be targeted. Sarries centres were ponderous and there seemed to be a lack of pace in the outside backs to exploit the possession and territory.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:14 pm

Ackermann is developing that Gloucester pack nicely. Glaws did some good business in the summer as well, the four props in the squad at the weekend were all good quality and that gave security up front which has been hit and miss. Ed Slater is exactly the kind of leader and enforcer they've needed and the backrow has some very good options.

Sarries pack looked unbalanced. No Vunipola meant no juggernaut carries, since Fraser and Burger retired they've missed a menace in at the breakdown and Clark was very poor in that regard. The Burger they have got is a legend but not rating any younger and needed some mobility on the flank and not a third second row.

As LT says the backline lacked spark. Wyles and Barrett aren't getting any younger or faster.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 20 Nov 2017, 2:46 pm

Londontiger

True Wiggy was pretty ponderous but his box kicking was good. He helped us gain good territory in that first 40.

Tompkins was disappointing too.

I agree there was a lack of pace and perhaps in hindsight Earle could have started but the coaches decided to go with the experience of Wyles and Maitland.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 22 Nov 2017, 1:11 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Ackermann is developing that Gloucester pack nicely. Glaws did some good business in the summer as well, the four props in the squad at the weekend were all good quality and that gave security up front which has been hit and miss. Ed Slater is exactly the kind of leader and enforcer they've needed and the backrow has some very good options.

I was talking about the May / Slater transfer at the weekend. I genuinely can't think of any similar situation, across any sport, where both sides have benefited so much, yet are still distraught at their loss! The amount of praise May is currently receiving is justified, however, it only plays into the concept that players at Glaws get ignored on the international stage. I've watched a fair few Tigers games this year and I don't see him doing anything different to what he did for us. The only difference is he is getting better quality ball. Nevertheless, I am delighted for him that he is getting the plaudits. I've always found him a joy to watch and he has proven it was exactly the right move to make, although the ironic thing is we're now have pack to deliver good ball and are playing a style that would have suited him down to the ground.

But, Slater has been excellent for us. I don't think its any coincidence that Savage has upped his game since Slater's arrival. They are a no frills combination, but their workrate and intensity have been outstanding. I have no expectations that we'll be a top 4 side any time soon, but its great to at least be a side that can cause problems and aren't pushovers (the Sale game is not included!) and Slater has been integral in this resurgence of the Glawster dawg.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2