The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves V Eubank Feb 17th at the Manchester arena

+11
Steffan
Seanusarrilius
Muscular-mouse
melv500
Baby faced assassin
compelling and rich
ONETWOFOREVER
Happytravelling
horizontalhero
Mr Bounce
wheelchair1991
15 posters

Go down

Groves V Eubank Feb 17th at the Manchester arena Empty Groves V Eubank Feb 17th at the Manchester arena

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 21 Nov - 20:17

So it's been set for February 17th at the Manchester Arena. No doubt this will be on ITV Box Office.

Will you pay? And who do you think wins?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Groves V Eubank Feb 17th at the Manchester arena Empty Re: Groves V Eubank Feb 17th at the Manchester arena

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 22 Nov - 10:08

It'll be interesting to see how Eubank reacts. It's his first "proper" headliner and it's for a world title belt. Groves has been there several times (although lost 3 times!!) and I think will be far more comfortable. For all Eubank's much-vaunted power, he's not knocked down any top-ranked opponents aside from his previous victim who was an unknown quantity.

It all depends whether Eubank's attitude is right. If he thinks he's walking through Groves, it could be a long night for him. Groves for all his faults is no mug and has only been knocked down by near on perfect shots. Eubank will need to bring his total A game and be utterly focussed. If he doesn't, Groves will enjoy this.

I won't pay for it, but I might be persuaded to watch it down the pub...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Groves V Eubank Feb 17th at the Manchester arena Empty Re: Groves V Eubank Feb 17th at the Manchester arena

Post by horizontalhero Wed 22 Nov - 11:39

Can't see the occassion getting to Eubank, the BJS fight and the last one in Germany was in front a decent size hostile crowd, and he handled that fine. And for all the bravado and BS form the Eubank camp, they won't under estimate Groves. Should be a good fight-Eubank brings athleticism and work rate against Groves skills and experience.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 24 Nov - 23:45

Horizontal, see it the same.

It's an interesting fight and should be good. But see the natural SMW power of groves being too much, in the end.

Eubank looked really good against the Turk. Caught him early and was relentless. But Groves is much better.

Murray said GGG was relentless and consistently punched hard, from all angles, but Groves punched harder. Murray is no softy.

I actually admire eubank for doing so we, despite his dad. He's developed better than I thought, given the pressure surrounding him, but he really could have done with getting away from the old man to develop better.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 25 Nov - 14:31

Sorry but that turk eubank beat was absolutely awful
Lacked even the basics watch the fight again that guy was pants it wont prep eubanks for the lecel groves is on.

I side with groves to won this eubanks looks very good against technically absent fighters and over the hill has beens like abraham. For me jnr is stepping in up again and we all know what happened last time.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 25 Nov - 17:48

last time he stepped up he lost majority decision,but i think he's much improved since then, and Groves can be vulnerable- I'm expecting a cracking fight.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 26 Nov - 9:59

was going to look at getting tickets for this but im in london for the england v ireland game at twickenham. so probably wont be watching it either

got a feeling eubank will take this, he will need to up his game but he's younger and fresher and while only 29 groves seems a bit shop worn to me

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Sun 26 Nov - 12:15

Strangely enough I actually see this as a bit of a crossroads fight

While a loss doesn't necessarily end their career but itll be hard to come back from...let me explain

Groves has done fantastically to get back into world contention but there is always the stigma that he has never looked like Groves pre Froch
If he loses to Eubank that will be another big loss and it'll take a big bite out of his credibility that hes done so well to win back

For eubank he hasn't really had many big fights and has shown real improvements since his loss to BJS....but he is not as young as you think at 28 already he really needs to make moves now and if he loses to Groves then hes lost again to a main domestic rival

Should be a good fight, 50/50 for me Eubank has looked the more impressive recently but his level of opposition has been lower

Interesting to see how they handle each others power, Groves hits harder but there is an air of vulnerability around Groves that Eubank doesn't seem to have (although his chin has never really been tested too much)
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 26 Nov - 17:20

Met an old pro at a friends birthday party last night. He's Sven Hamer, really top bloke and had been in with Howard Eastman. Asked him about this fight and he reckons everyone in the boxing world knows it'll be Eubank by KO and pretty handily.

Will see but I have it 50/50. Huge step up for Eubank.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Sun 26 Nov - 21:55

The level groves has fought at has been so much higher than eubanks. Groves has faced Jamie cox, badou jack, james de gale, carl froch x2 whilst the only top guy eubank has faced has been BJS and he lost.

I think it will be an easy points win for GG, first few rounds eubank will throw some hayemakers maybe land 1 or 2 and rock groves but after round 4 groves will take over and outbox him.

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 27 Nov - 14:16

Great fight and one Eubank needs to win if he is to step up into upper classes of sport. Groves will be a tough scalp, especially if he uses that once great jab. If Groves sits down on punches and goes to war with Eubank, I think wear and tear and Eubank's familial chin will see him through with late TKO

However it goes, great matchup. Looking forward to it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 27 Nov - 17:20

Eubanks will win on points. Is that a fact?......yes. And it could be a very painful one for Groves

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Mon 27 Nov - 23:08

Steffan wrote:Eubanks will win on points. Is that a fact?......yes. And it could be a very painful one for Groves

If it is a fact make sure you bet a lot of money on it

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 28 Nov - 3:15

Muscular-mouse wrote:
Steffan wrote:Eubanks will win on points. Is that a fact?......yes. And it could be a very painful one for Groves

If it is a fact make sure you bet a lot of money on it
Oh...I plan to buddy....I plan to

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 28 Nov - 6:55

Eubank is getting stopped with a body shot.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 28 Nov - 9:19

Been waiting to buy tickets for this. Supposed to be on sale at 9 am. Apparently tickets were starting at £30 but they arent available on eventim. I wanted to get my hands on a couple of chep tickets, as usual the ticket masters are playing games.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 28 Nov - 9:26

I keep refreshing and all the tickets flit between available and unavailble so they must be staggering them or something. £34 ticket became available but you can only buy 1 single tickets. Great for people with no friends. Can't stand the way they do this now with tickets, just release the F**CKING tickets and let people buy them!!!

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 28 Nov - 9:32

Magically stub hub have plenty of tickets going for £80 plus in the upper tier which appear to be the cheap seats. They have what seems to be an unlimited supply of these whilst on eventim which is the official seller they have none. Absolute BS this, stinks

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 28 Nov - 9:37

Kalle probably dishing tickets out to his Coke suppliers as a cheeky little sweetner

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 29 Nov - 14:53

Shame Stubhub swallows up so many tix for events these days. Hard for fans. Kalle is hilarious, doesn't even hide his antics in IFLTV interviews these days. Ha.

This is an awesome fight! If Groves finds his jab, Eubank will be in for a tough night. But I fancy young Eubank to come through. Despite his arrogance, his talent is pretty formidable and timing for this fight will favour him. Groves is aged in ring years. But he doe shave way more experience at world level, and that is to his advantage.

At this point I see Eubank by points or very late TKO. But we shall see.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu 30 Nov - 15:56

Seeing the press conference Groves looks huge compared to Eubank. This is swaying me towards Groves on points now as too big and strong. If he gets his jab going he might even stop him.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 30 Nov - 16:11

What channel will this be on?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Nov - 16:26

Tricky fight to call this. Groves better technically, but not great defence - bigger and probably the harder puncher, questionable durability, fought consistently at a higher level. Eubank, quicker, less miles on the clock.

More things stacked in groves favour than eubank but an intriguing fight nonetheless.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 30 Nov - 16:43

George loses this one and he’ll be remembered as someone who lost his biggest fights

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Muscular-mouse Thu 30 Nov - 17:58

my guess is it is on itv box office

Muscular-mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 30 Nov - 18:05

ITV box office may actually make some money off this one. Big British DUST UP!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 30 Nov - 19:06

George has geniune power. Eubank has "snappy-slashy" power.

Eubanks power is effective at Domestic/European level, not world level (think Golovkin, Jacobs and Lemiuex, Jackson, McClellan). He certainly doesnt poses world super-middleweight power. Jamie Cox, single shot for single shot, punches harder than Eubank.

Groves can be rocked, he's a canny boxer, and isn't as fragile as people make out.

Groves doesnt rely on one single attribute, he's an all rounder. One of those fighters who's above average (and beyond) in all respects. Eubank, on the other hand, relies on speed, unorthodoxy, and a decent chin and engine.

Eubank takes breathers during fights, normally after he's dominated an opponent physically or mentally. Groves will know this (through experience), and will press when Eubank least expects it or wants it.

If you take Eubanks uppercut away, you take half his game away.

Groves stoppage.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down