The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Champions Cup Round 3 & 4 - Munster V Leicester

+19
carpet baboon
Sin é
rodders
propdavid_london
VinceWLB
No 7&1/2
SecretFly
Pot Hale
profitius
Artful_Dodger
21st Century Schizoid Man
Sgt_Pooly
mikey_dragon
eirebilly
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
Welly
Geen sport voor watjes
nathan
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Champions Cup Round 3 & 4 - Munster V Leicester - Page 2 Empty European Champions Cup Round 3 & 4 - Munster V Leicester

Post by LondonTiger Mon 04 Dec 2017, 3:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

When: Saturday 9th December, 19:45
Where: Thomond Park, Limerick
TV: BT Sports, beIN

Referee: Jérome Garcès (Fra)
Assistant Referees: Ludovic Cayre (Fra), Hervé Lasausa (Fra)
TMO: Philippe Bonhoure (Fra)

For the third year in a row, the two former champions meet in the December back to back clashes. For the third year in a row it starts with a game in Limerick
2015 - Leicester win both matches on the way to making the Semi final stage.
2016 - Munster thrash Leicester in the first game, before narrowly losing the return at Welford Road as it was their turn to make the semis.

In a tight pool with these two sharing top spot, one point clear of Racing 92, getting the upper-hand in this pair of fixtures could be vital in the quest to qualify from the group. Maybe it is the pessimist in me, but I am struggling to see far beyond two wins for the Irish Province.

Round 4:

Where - Welford Road Stadium, Leicester
When - Sunday 17th December; 17:30
TV: BT Sports, beIN

Referee: Mathieu Reynal (Fr)
Assistant Refs: Tual Trainini (Fra), Mathieu Noirot (Fra)
TMO: Philippe Bonhoure (Fra)

Last season Leicester turned a 38-0 loss to Munster in Round 3 into a narrow win at home in Round 4. Can they do it again? Probably not but I can hope.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

European Champions Cup Round 3 & 4 - Munster V Leicester - Page 2 Empty Re: European Champions Cup Round 3 & 4 - Munster V Leicester

Post by nathan Sun 17 Dec 2017, 5:23 pm

Really going to miss TV, awful tackle attempt by the munster lad

nathan

Back to top Go down

European Champions Cup Round 3 & 4 - Munster V Leicester - Page 2 Empty Re: European Champions Cup Round 3 & 4 - Munster V Leicester

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

French ref has the D4 message here Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:18 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:French ref has the D4 message here Rolling Eyes

D4 message?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

There are two games going on here. Munster v Leicester and Dan Cole v The Ref

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

nathan wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:French ref has the D4 message here Rolling Eyes

D4 message?

Booing from the Leinster supporters yesterday

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:22 pm

The Oirish message - usually works esp for Munster (and Leinster- like yesterday ). D4 area of Dublin etc etc look it up !

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

Less of the oirish jock

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

I've long thought Dan Cole a rubbish scrummager and penalty machine, but 5 penalties in 40 minutes is taking the biscuit. Tigers need to get him off.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

Sealing off by the munster 11 there

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:48 pm

Been watching the game and I must say that Munster have had the rub of the green slightly with the ref but Dan Cole (whom I really like) has been very poor today with his discipline.

Tuilagi looks incredibly rusty out there today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:52 pm

The Tigers have nothing to lose now and are playing just like that. Much better intensity from them today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:57 pm

Massive turning point, Ryan sent off. Proper cynical play from him and deserved Yellow Card.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

Massively relieved with that win from Munster.

Leicester were the first team to Munster at Thomond Park in Europe and now Munster are the first team to inflict back to back losses to Leicester in Europe.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

Have to admit, well done munster. Far better at playing the ref than tigers.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:23 pm

Deserved win for Munster. Tigers were pretty poor, poor choices (mainly from Tait) and terrible discipline (mainly from Cole).

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:41 pm

That was a very good result! Not many teams win in welford rd.

Munster dominated up front with Leicester's pack being a shadow of what they were. That was the winning of the game, with the lineout being the biggest difference, not the ref. Murphy doing his best to deflect from the coaching.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:43 pm

Tigers and Eddie Jones need to cut Dan Cole loose, he is a car crash of a player. Regularly gets out scrummaged and is a penalty machines at the breakdown.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:53 pm

nathan wrote:Have to admit, well done munster. Far better at playing the ref than tigers.

Do you mean Munster were far better at playing the ref than they were at playing Leicester?

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 17 Dec 2017, 7:59 pm

I like the Scannell/Arnold midfield. Another outstanding game from POM. Might keep the blue magoos quiet.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 17 Dec 2017, 8:05 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:I like the Scannell/Arnold midfield. Another outstanding game from POM. Might keep the blue magoos quiet.

O'Driscoll gave Arnold man of the match in the first leg, to think that this is Munster's second choice centre pairing. It is worth baring in mind that you have Farrell, McCloskey, Henshaw and Aki currently front line with a huge amount of potential behind them. Irish centre looking in rude health with the likes of Arnold, Scannell and Marshall not getting a look in.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun 17 Dec 2017, 8:48 pm

I would pick Arnold over Farrell any day from what I have seen from both of them so far this season. Scannell has got a raw deal for Ireland. Maybe it’s his accent joe doesn’t understand.

Also BOD is a langer and clueless as a pundit. Arnold played well last week but wasn’t motm

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:17 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:I would pick Arnold over Farrell any day from what I have seen from both of them so far this season. Scannell has got a raw deal for Ireland. Maybe it’s his accent joe doesn’t understand.

Also BOD is a langer and clueless as a pundit. Arnold played well last week but wasn’t motm

He's in exalted company then, coz I think wasn't Quinlan told he was pretty much a langer and clueless as a pundit by one of his very own past Munster team mates?

We all know why Irish 'pundits' are picked.  They talk...shyte mostly, yes...but they do talk.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:19 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:I've long thought Dan Cole a rubbish scrummager and penalty machine, but 5 penalties in 40 minutes is taking the biscuit.  Tigers need to get him off.

One of the worst scrummagers (not including academy players) I've seen in a Tigers shirt is at loosehead. It's not a surprise we struggled and it's no surprise Cole pushed to the limit to try and rescue the situation. I'm pretty sure I picked out the lock combination as being not the best at scrum time as well. The whole pack selection was poor so the result is little surprise.

To call Cole a poor scrummager is ridiculous. Discipline has been an issue before though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:26 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:I've long thought Dan Cole a rubbish scrummager and penalty machine, but 5 penalties in 40 minutes is taking the biscuit.  Tigers need to get him off.

One of the worst scrummagers (not including academy players) I've seen in a Tigers shirt is at loosehead. It's not a surprise we struggled and it's no surprise Cole pushed to the limit to try and rescue the situation. I'm pretty sure I picked out the lock combination as being not the best at scrum time as well. The whole pack selection was poor so the result is little surprise.

To call Cole a poor scrummager is ridiculous. Discipline has been an issue before though.

Pretty sure I watched Tom Court of all people scrummage him off the park in the 2013-2014 season. Also pretty sure I've been watching him a lot at international level, he is a terrible scrummager.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:35 pm

He's on the downward slope of his career now but he's still one of the best tight heads around.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Pretty sure I watched Tom Court of all people scrummage him off the park in the 2013-2014 season.  Also pretty sure I've been watching him a lot at international level, he is a terrible scrummager.

You've seen him keep his shirt at international level go on two Lions tours and win penalties and keep the scrum steady for years and that's an indication of being a bad scrummager? You aren't going to select him for his carrying game. Ulster smashed us off the park with a far more physical pack for a couple of seasons in the HEC. It took us some time to cotton on and now MOC has gone too far the other way and selects big backrows against Irish teams Rolling Eyes .

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:50 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Pretty sure I watched Tom Court of all people scrummage him off the park in the 2013-2014 season.  Also pretty sure I've been watching him a lot at international level, he is a terrible scrummager.

Tom Court was pretty good at loosehead though. To say that Dan Cole is a terrible scrummager is one of the most ridiculous thing i have read on here.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Dec 2017, 9:58 pm

Poor game from Cole but to suggest he's a poor scrummager is simply laughable.

Well done again to Munster, soaked up the early pressure and allowed Tigers to self-destruct before going on to dominate the game. Text book away European win and well deserving of being the first time to beat Tigers back to back in Europe.  

Going out of Europe early probably the best for Tigers, though not financially. No matter what the board have always said Tigers are desperate for a transitional year in which the coach is allowed to actually build for the future rather than scraping into the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 17 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm

I'm not even going to spend the time bringing up his penalties stats in the last few 6N, all I'll say is that I hope Eddie Jones and Tigers persist with him and I'll leave it there.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 17 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:I'm not even going to spend the time bringing up his penalties stats in the last few 6N, all I'll say is that I hope Eddie Jones and Tigers persist with him and I'll leave it there.

Tigers have little choice. The other tighthead options are injured and Baumann on the bench was signed as a project not as someone ready for the first team. As we've said discipline can be an issue, common sense does tend to get shelved if his pack is going backwards.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 17 Dec 2017, 11:16 pm

Cole rarely gets bettered in the scrum, that's what you primarily want in a TH. Cole aside, is was a poor scrummaging unit for Tigers though. Youngs and Traynor are not strong in this area.

What worries me is these bad games in the loose are becoming more and more common for Cole, he's a liability at times.

Is he generally a bit dense? He really doesn't seem to understand the rules at times.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 18 Dec 2017, 9:42 am

Agree with the above, Cole is not a bad scrummager - but there did appear to be a general bad day at the office for the Tigers pack as a whole. Who was locking and flanking on Coles side of the scrum behind him?
A TH is effectively scrumming against the oppo Hooker and LH. So generally the best you can ask of a TH is to hold his own, while there is more opportunity for a LH to manipulate on the other side. Therefore generally I would expect the more solid scrummagers 'or weighty' of you want to go down that route on the right of the pack.

I cant help feeling that Tigers are really missing a 'Slater' in these kinds of matches.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 18 Dec 2017, 9:45 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Cole rarely gets bettered in the scrum, that's what you primarily want in a TH. Cole aside, is was a poor scrummaging unit for Tigers though. Youngs and Traynor are not strong in this area.

What worries me is these bad games in the loose are becoming more and more common for Cole, he's a liability at times.

Is he generally a bit dense? He really doesn't seem to understand the rules at times.

It's as I said above he's just too competitive. The more under pressure the pack is the more he tries to make a difference particularly if those around him aren't. I think it's being magnified by the coaches appalling tactics in the forwards for these double headers. I won't rant further on the pack selection and tactics failings but the writing was on the wall pre kick off.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 Dec 2017, 9:53 am

It's as I said above he's just too competitive. The more under pressure the pack is the more he tries to make a difference particularly if those around him aren't.

Correct.... or rather, I share the view. When a specific player kinda stands out in the area of too many errors through a game, I find it's usually because said player is over-reaching/trying too hard, over anxious to show that they are a central cog. It can be a fragile place to be in a side or sides (club + International) that always demand the best or else they have someone else to choose or buy in. Some players try to shoulder too much work/activity to keep themselves in the frame.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:32 am

Tigers aren't what they were but that is a tremendous result from Munster.

I hope the IRFU break the back for Stander, he and O'Mahoney were superb, as was Dave Foley.

A super couple of weekends for the Irish teams but this was the most arguably impressive performance of the lot.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:52 am

rodders wrote:Tigers aren't what they were but that is a tremendous result from Munster.

I hope the IRFU break the back for Stander, he and O'Mahoney were superb, as was Dave Foley.

A super couple of weekends for the Irish teams but this was the most arguably impressive performance of the lot.

The IRFU said to Stander pre-game:  "Okay smartazz, show us how much you're worth in the next game."

*GULP*  "We can't afford that kinda dough!  Why didn't you play more like you did at the start of the season?"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 18 Dec 2017, 11:11 am

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:Tigers aren't what they were but that is a tremendous result from Munster.

The IRFU said to Stander pre-game:  "Okay smartazz, show us how much you're worth in the next game."

*GULP*  "We can't afford that kinda dough!  Why didn't you play more like you did at the start of the season?"

Jamie Heaslip's cafe should be sponsoring his wages.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 Dec 2017, 1:35 pm

And what of the little dynamo Cloete. Watch him outpace Johnny May.

https://youtu.be/1_pmzoBV0RY?t=10m3s

Great run from May though.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 18 Dec 2017, 1:54 pm

He's some signing Sin, where'd you find him from?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 18 Dec 2017, 2:53 pm

rodders wrote:He's some signing Sin, where'd you find him from?

Sri Lanka Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 Dec 2017, 3:19 pm

Yea. Sri Lanka Very Happy Seemingly there is a great rugby buzz there. 10K at matches.

Rassie found him. He has a SA 'A' cap. I imagine he was too small for a Bok backrow. Very Happy

Rassie sure has brought some gems to Munster - Kleyn, Cloete, Taute, Rhys Marshall.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 18 Dec 2017, 4:13 pm

Sin é wrote:

Yea. Sri Lanka Very Happy  Seemingly there is a great rugby buzz there. 10K at matches.

Rassie found him. He has a SA 'A' cap. I imagine he was too small for a Bok backrow. Very Happy

Rassie sure has brought some gems to Munster - Kleyn, Cloete, Taute, Rhys Marshall.

Does that A cap tie him to SA?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 Dec 2017, 5:01 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Yea. Sri Lanka Very Happy  Seemingly there is a great rugby buzz there. 10K at matches.

Does that A cap tie him to SA?

I don't think so as it was against a French Barbarian team. As far as I know the team that they play has to be a designated 1st/2nd team (i.e., Wolfhounds v Saxons). As far a I know, France's U20s team is their designated 2nd team.

He is on a 3 year contract which suggests that he probably will be Ireland eligible.

All I can say is that he is some find and really balances Munster's backrow.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 18 Dec 2017, 5:05 pm

He looks like would Michael Hooper with his pants set on fire.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 18 Dec 2017, 9:25 pm

Was very impressive over the two games. Horrible and Niggly but also dynamic and mobile. I suspect a few scouts will be citing him as a reason they need a trip to Sri Lanka sometime in the new year. In three years he'll be 29, will Ireland be that interested in integrating a 29 year old into rhe national team midway through a world cup cycle knowing he'll probably only be good for the one tilt at the big one?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:41 pm

Sin é wrote:

He is on a 3 year contract which suggests that he probably will be Ireland eligible.

Will he not have to stick around for two more years after that or has he beaten that new regime to the starting line?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 19 Dec 2017, 1:01 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Was very impressive over the two games. Horrible and Niggly but also dynamic and mobile. I suspect a few scouts will be citing him as a reason they need a trip to Sri Lanka sometime in the new year. In three years he'll be 29, will Ireland be that interested in integrating a 29 year old into rhe national team midway through a world cup cycle knowing he'll probably only be good for the one tilt at the big one?

He also has about 30 Super Rugby caps (played for the Argentinians as well as a load of the SA teams).

Rhys Marshall (the hooker in the game in Thomond Park) is another one with a great story. He was a shepperd on this 5,000 acre kiwi farm who didn't get his contract renewed with the Chiefs before Munster came up.

Munster must have the best selection of hookers in any country, let alone club, in the world (Sherry, Duncan Casey, Neil Scannell, Rhys Marshall and now Kevin O'Byrne). They can all throw straight as well, which is no surprise when your coach is Jerry Flannery.

Anyone see this before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HsleEP7p4A
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 19 Dec 2017, 1:02 am

SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Will he not have to stick around for two more years after that or has he beaten that new regime to the starting line?

I don't think that has come in yet, so he should be eligible I think.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 Dec 2017, 8:03 am

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I don't think that has come in yet, so he should be eligible I think.

31 of this month isn't it? From then on it's five years.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 19 Dec 2017, 11:48 am

Tuilagi cited Shocked

http://rugbylad.ie/watch-manu-tuilagi-cited-for-this-dangerous-tackle-on-munsters-chris-cloete/

I cannot for the life of me see anything wrong here. Seems to be a waste of time...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next