The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rigo vs Lomo

+8
hogey
AdamT
horizontalhero
Derbymanc
milkyboy
Nathaniel Jacobs
Seanusarrilius
Mr Bounce
12 posters

Go down

Rigo vs Lomo Empty Rigo vs Lomo

Post by 3fingers Thu 07 Dec 2017, 8:49 am

Rigo will be KO'd in this fight. Gutted it's been made.

Rigo is just too small, he's a 37 year old pro whos boxed exclusively at super-bantamweight as a pro (lighter as an amateur). If he had room to grow (into higher weights) then he would have before the age of 37.

Lomo on the otherhand has boxed as high as lightweight (he has an Olympic gold medal at the weight). Lomo will finish his career at lightweight, if not then higher.

Rigo, throws mostly single shots. His danger hand is his straight left, perfect against an orthodox fighter, and not nearly as effective against a southpaw (the left does not go down the middle of a southpaw  guard, the way it does against an orthodox fighter). To complicate matters further for Rigo, Limo has fantastic lateral movement, he has the ability to completly nullify Rigo's best shot by moving to Rigos right.

Lomo is not a huge puncher at Super-Feather, but has more power (and talent) than the guys who have already dropped Rigo.

It's a shame Rigondeaux has been forced to jump two weight classes because no one had the courage to fight him at 122.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Rigo vs Lomo Empty Re: Rigo vs Lomo

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 07 Dec 2017, 12:54 pm

Agree 100%. Rigo has taken this as a payday. He can't draw flies to an event because of his style. It's super effective but rubbish to watch. Rigo keeps his super bantam title and can say that the weight jump was too much. Plus there will be plenty of $ in the bank for him.

Lomachenko really is the best there is - I think even Rigondeaux will be an easy night for him. I reckon it'll be a joy to watch him. The only thing making him not win is an injury.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 07 Dec 2017, 4:48 pm

This is kind of like when Gamboa jumped up to fight Crawford. Two well matched guys but one too big for the other. Loma would prob sneak it anyway, but the size advantage leaves Rigo with an uphill task.

Time will tell!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 07 Dec 2017, 5:51 pm

Rigondeaux is vastly superior defensively than Lomachenko. Rigondeaux is masterful at 'just' avoiding punches. The Cuban by SD

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 07 Dec 2017, 10:55 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:Agree 100%. Rigo has taken this as a payday. He can't draw flies to an event because of his style. It's super effective but rubbish to watch. Rigo keeps his super bantam title and can say that the weight jump was too much. Plus there will be plenty of $ in the bank for him.

Lomachenko really is the best there is - I think even Rigondeaux will be an easy night for him. I reckon it'll be a joy to watch him. The only thing making him not win is an injury.

It’s a personal taste thing but Never thought rigo was rubbish to watch and being Poopie to watch never hampered floyd later in his career. If he was American not Cuban, or at least spoke English and trash talked he’d have got the bigger fights.

I think fingers has this pretty well summed up. Lomo is too big, too young, too strong. Too many advantages to give up to a guy that good. Every now and then you see a defensive genius pull a rabbit out of the hat with the odds stacked against him, but sadly can’t see it happening in this one.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 08 Dec 2017, 12:12 am

I'm not giving up hope. Would love to see rigo do it, he's my man. Just can't see it.

If he pulls.it off, greatest of all time in my opinion.

On a side note, let's get this place rocking again.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 08 Dec 2017, 7:49 am

I can't believe there's not more talk on this in the news, as with every bout it could be a massive dissappointement but we've got 2 genuine greats going toe to toe in a sport that rarely these days, shows the best against the best.

Think it's pretty much a 50/50 fight even with the size, Rigo is just amazing defensively and I think that could be the point on which he'll pull it off, although can't argue against anyones opinion on it tbh.

I know Rigo is looked at as boring but he's a defensive genius and doesn't get the recognition he deserves, Lomo has the excitement factor to back up his game so it could be a a mish mash of styles. Hopefully it'll be brilliant but either way i can't wait for it

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 08 Dec 2017, 8:19 am

3fingers wrote:
It's a shame Rigondeaux has been forced to jump two weight classes because no one had the courage to fight him at 122.

Absolutely. During the build up to Frampton - Quigg it was pretty galling the hear McGuigan referring to Carl as "the Champion" having all but admitted that they wouldn't consider a fight against Rigo as he was "in the who- needs- him club". I love for him to pull off an upset in this one, but logic says Lomachenko wins.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 08 Dec 2017, 12:16 pm

Good big man usually beats the good little man. I think it will be competitive in the early rounds. Vasyl too big and young. He might force a stoppage around the 9th or 10th.

Rigondeaux has been avoided for years. It's a pity, because he is a classy boxer!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat 09 Dec 2017, 2:03 pm

Can see this being pretty onsided and think Lomachenko stops Rigo inside 5 rounds. Theres not much to choose between in terms of skills, but i would say Lomachenko edges all round it due to his offensive abilities, then throw in the fact he is bigger, younger and stronger it hard to see how Rigo keeps him off, especially seeing as he has no power even at his natural weight. For me is a great shame an amazing fighter like Rigo has to resort to serving himself up just to get a huge payday before he retires.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 09 Dec 2017, 9:36 pm

Not to mention he's 37 year old, with only 3 rounds of action in 3 years.

He's inactive, tiny, coming up two weights to fight one of the best p4p boxers in the sport. I see this is as his swan song, i suspect he'd only doing it for the money (he'd have to.fight until he's 50 to earn the 400k he's getting for this fight).

I'm praying for a miracle, but I can't see it. Lomos volume and angles will be too much. Those two attributes will make it difficult for Rigo to land his pin point counters.

If Lomo doesnt stop Rigo, then his volume will gaurantee the win. It doesn't matter that's it's a Bob Arun fighter, boxing on a Bob Arun televised card, which bob touts as a superstar.

I also heard a rumour that the WBA will strip Rigo's Super-bantamweight title if he loses. Boxing his sh!t all over him during his pro career.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 09 Dec 2017, 10:51 pm

Does Chunky need to win these last two?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 09 Dec 2017, 11:03 pm

3fingers wrote:Not to mention he's 37 year old, with only 3 rounds of action in 3 years.

He's inactive, tiny, coming up two weights to fight one of the best p4p boxers in the sport. I see this is as his swan song, i suspect he'd only doing it for the money (he'd have to.fight until he's 50 to earn the 400k he's getting for this fight).

I'm praying for a miracle, but I can't see it. Lomos volume and angles will be too much. Those two attributes will make it difficult for Rigo to land his pin point counters.

If Lomo doesnt stop Rigo, then his volume will gaurantee the win. It doesn't matter that's it's a Bob Arun fighter, boxing on a Bob Arun televised card, which bob touts as a superstar.

I also heard a rumour that the WBA will strip Rigo's Super-bantamweight title if he loses. Boxing his sh!t all over him during his pro career.

Some people think Rigo might actually be over 40

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 10 Dec 2017, 12:15 am

Yeah, i heard a rumour Cuban fighters lie about their age too. Not sure how true it is. There aren't many 40 year olds with his physique, speed and reflexes.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 10 Dec 2017, 11:51 am

Most predictable big fight result ever, Lomo was superior in every department and would have won regardless of size add that factor in Rigo had not a hope in hell.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 10 Dec 2017, 1:52 pm

Lomachenko dominated on skill not size

He just has more to his game

Lomas footwork was too good for rigo and he looked like he was stuck in quicksand

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 10 Dec 2017, 3:11 pm

Maybe Lomachenko’s turn to give a bit of weight away to a really good fighter to see if he’s as great as Arum claims

Mikey Garcia at 35 has to happen some time next year surely if Mikey gets past Easter if it’s Easter he’s fighting next

There’s no one around to challenge Lomachenko at 30 so the sooner he moves up the better

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 10 Dec 2017, 4:23 pm

This is why I think Rigo lost:

1. Unable to Dictate Pace
2. Left Hand was Nullified
3. Lead Hand Repertoire
4. Capitulation (Pride)

1. Despite having a low punch output, Rigo can dictate pace thus win on points. He slows an opponent’s rhythm. To do this he relies on power, accuracy and timing. He predicts and learns an opponent’s attack pattern then…whallop! Bangs them with the big straight back hand (left). He does this a couple of times and his job is complete; the opponent is dissuaded and the pace is slowed.

Rigo was unable to predict Lomo’s attack patterns; his repertoire is too diverse; which allows versatility.   Unable to predict the line of attack meant Rigo couldn’t land the bomb (the dissuader). Even if he could land it, he wouldn’t have been able to get it home enough to accomplish its purpose: inhibit Lomo’s the attack. Yet, if he had landed the back hand bomb repeatedly, would it have been enough to slow the pace?  I doubt it. Rigo is a big hitter at 122, he’s not a puncher at 130.

2. Rigo is the master of the straight left (it’s the perfect punch against an orthodox stance, thrown down the middle of the guard). He’s become so reliant on THAT shot. And rightly so, why would he change what’s been hugely effective in the past? Last night we watched the answer. Rigo’s over-reliance on a single powerful backhand has been to the detriment of the rest of his arsenal.  Yes, he’s always been predictable but, up until now, no one has had the skillset, mental fortitude, and ring IQ to take advantage of the predictability.

Lomo has all those attributes in abundance, and he is a skilled southpaw (basically Rigo’s worst nightmare). If you don’t know, here is why: the southpaw backhand is not effective against a talented southpaw. It comes from the same angle as an orthodox jab, therefore it won’t go down the middle of the guard. The ineffectiveness of that punch was compounded by Lomo circling, continually, to Rigo’s right. He nullified one side of Rigo’s body, including his best punch: the straight back hand (which his game plan relies upon).
Once that punch was taken out of the equation, Rigo’s tactics were useless; he would have to rely on his lead hand.

3. Rigo uses his lead hand mainly to set up his back hand; he measures with it. Occasionally, he also throws the lead hook. By moving to Rigo’s right, Lomo was moving into that lead hook, but wasn’t a problem. When he was in the danger zone of the lead hook Lomo would crouch, roll and duck to take the danger away. Now Rigo would have to rely on ‘other lead hand shots’ but his over-reliance on ‘a single tactic’, during his pro career, meant he was out of practice.
This was now a battle of the lead hands. Lomo is a natural right hander boxing out of a southpaw stance. His lead hand is the co-ordinated hand, the strong hand; he throws, catches, writes, and plays basketball with it; there was only going to be one winner.

(His use of double and triple jabs to close distance really impressed me).

4. Rigo could not accept his game-plan was second best. In the 6th round Lomo honed his strategy to perfection. From that point on, it was going to become very one sided. Lomo super-human engine would enforce the plan further. Rigo is an intelligent fighter, he realised this. Not wanting to beaten on skill (which his reputation is founded upon) he took the easy way out, before the fight changed for the worse.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 10 Dec 2017, 5:29 pm

Rigo lost because lomachenko exposed his weaknesses

Rigo has great body movement but can't match loma for footwork

He is used to being able to move and duck away from punches but, Loma can just pivot and catch him anyway
Rigo quit because loma was gradually turning up the heat and he knew he was going to get badly koed

Rigo said loma was very explosive so there must have been some pepper on those shots and it was only going to get worse

He was mentally beaten and quit before getting physically beaten as well

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 10 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

The length of my last post was like something 88Chris05 would write. Thanks for summarising.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 11 Dec 2017, 9:26 am

3fingers wrote:The length of my last post was like something 88Chris05 would write. Thanks for summarising.

It was excellent.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down