The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Summer Tour

+34
carpet baboon
profitius
exile jack
yappysnap
Collapse2005
eirebilly
TJ
Eejit
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Duty281
tigertattie
RDW
TightHEAD
rugby4cast
Luckless Pedestrian
thebandwagonsociety
Cardiff Dave
Blueschief
robbo277
Brendan
No 7&1/2
ScarletSpiderman
Exiledinborders
Rugby Fan
BamBam
RugbyFan100
BigTrevsbigmac
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
LordDowlais
munkian
LondonTiger
No9
38 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Wales Summer Tour - Page 2 Empty Wales Summer Tour

Post by No9 Tue 08 May 2018, 10:40 am

First topic message reminder :

Original opening post answered, changed to tour thread...:
So Welsh summer squad has been anounced as :-

Wales squad

Forwards: Rob Evans (Scarlets) (25 Caps), Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (18 Caps), Elliot Dee (Dragons) (7 Caps), Ryan Elias (Scarlets) (2 Caps), Rhodri Jones (Ospreys) (16 Caps), Samson Lee (Scarlets) (38 Caps), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues) (2 Caps), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (31 Caps), Adam Beard (Ospreys) (2 Caps), Bradley Davies (Ospreys) (62 Caps), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues) (4 Caps), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (*uncapped), Cory Hill (Dragons) (15 Caps), James Davies (Scarlets) (1 Cap), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues) (6 Caps), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester) (20 Caps), Josh Turnbull (Cardiff Blues) (8 Caps).

Backs: Aled Davies (Scarlets) (8 Caps),  Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (32 Caps), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues) (*uncapped), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues) (15 Caps), Rhys Patchell (Scarlets) (8 Caps), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets) (6 Caps), Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (4 Caps), Scott Williams (Scarlets) (55 Caps), Josh Adams (Worcester Warriors) (2 Caps), Hallam Amos (Dragons) (15 Caps), George North (Ospreys) (73 Caps), Tom Prydie (Scarlets) (5 Caps).

Red indicated "call-up".

Withdrawn from Original Named Squad or replaced due to injury:  Luke Charteris (Bath) (74 Caps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (11 Caps), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets) (17 Caps), Steff Evans (Scarlets) (9 Caps), Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (8 Caps).

2018 summer tour schedule
Saturday, 2 June KO 2200hrs BST [1700hrs local]

South Africa 20 - 22 Wales (Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, USA)

Team details:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 9 June KO 2040hrs BST [1640hrs local]

Argentina 10 - 23 Wales (San Juan del Bicentenario Stadium, San Juan)

Team details:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 16 June KO 2040hrs BST [1640hrs local]

Argentina 12 - 30 Wales (Estadio Brigadier López, Santa Fe)

Team details:

TV Coverage reported by WOL to be Channel 4, in their first outing into Rugby coverage before they take on some European coverage next season.

So... thread open for discussion on the Wales Summer tour 2018.

----------------------

So 3 out of 3. Great Summer Tour, have we learned anything, are Wales and England "Poles apart"...

Last edited by No9 on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 1:52 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated Team announcment...)

No9

Back to top Go down

Wales Summer Tour - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales Summer Tour

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 18 May 2018, 5:23 pm

Polite.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 18 May 2018, 9:50 pm

Rhodri Jones was a loosehead who they tried to convert to tight with no success. It would seem that was knocked on the head by Ospreys, but clearly Gatland is taking him as tighthead cover or certainly a prop who can in theory play both sides.

Seeing as we've lost an out and out tighthead, surely they could've selected one. I am not saying he's a realistic option as such, but even Fairbrother has been playing well for Dragons, including scoring tries and showing up in the loose. I am sure there are better options in the pro teams?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 May 2018, 3:02 am

The Oracle wrote:Anyway, good to see Hewitt and Wainwright called up. Hewitt’s probably there on merit as he’s been knocking on the door for a while but has unfortunately got injured at crucial times. Wainwright is a bit of a bolter and one I expect Wales want to get into the ‘environment’ so they can start collecting initial data, putting him on their conditioning programme, and that that jazz. One for the future.

Rhodri Jones is not new but has been out of favour for a while. Was the next big thing at one point but seemed to fall down the pecking order. Was he injured? I think perhaps he got leapfrogged by Samson Lee at Scarlets and then moved to the O’s for more game time. But I’d almost forgotten about him to be honest. Interestingly there’s a weird wiki entry for him - “His position, controversially, is tighthead prop.” Why is it controversial?! What did I miss?!!! Was he a LH and then asked to switch and then got forgotten, or something?

We’re obviously weakened a little by losing the 3 as there’s some decent experience there in Charteris and Francis. But good if some of these new 3 can get a run out and experience some (or some more) test rugby.

Yeah you're correct about Hewitt. I'm not sure about Wainright, new kid and very raw to the pro game. I'm not sure if that selection is going to benefit anyone in this instance. If Griffiths wasn't injured he would be in as he is potentially better than every open-side in Wales bar Navidi. I believe that Prydie was often on the cusp of a Wales recall but also kept getting injured at the wrong time.

Like alluded, RH Jones was a LH convert experiment that failed. I don't really recall him being good in the scrum on the TH side either though. Aaron Jarvis is probably better and can cover both sides of the scrum. Just for the record, now that Jarvis is a Dragons player I won't be championing him for more Wales honours, but Hibbard on the other hand...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 19 May 2018, 3:06 am

Also the message here is clear, players should get themselves back to Wales if they want an international career. Cardiff Blues should chuck money at the English to get them to hand over Francis and Adams, their squad needs some new additions.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 20 May 2018, 8:50 pm

Part of me wants to see Gats stick to his guns, and drop all 13 Scarlets from the squad as they too are unavailable until the sad time as the English based lads. If he doesn’t, and he won’t, then it shows that he was just making an example of these lads, and also he didn’t have faith in his own players to make the Pro14 final.

With player wealthfare needing to be considered, we are going to seriously struggle to put together a 23 for the SA game.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 26 May 2018, 3:12 pm

Why are wales playing scotland in the AIs?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 26 May 2018, 4:58 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Why are wales playing scotland in the AIs?

So they can pick up a win and get more money

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 26 May 2018, 5:50 pm

Ha on the first point. Just got a ticket but not sure why they aren't playing a touring side

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 26 May 2018, 6:52 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Ha on the first point. Just got a ticket but not sure why they aren't playing a touring side

Ireland are playing Italy as well that week. I think the key fact is that it is an "out-of-window" test, so who you play isn't predetermined.

Looking at the touring sides New Zealand and South Africa are booked, maybe Aus were asking for too much money? As I think the out of window tests come with more of a negotiation and eventual pay-out.

If Australia were holding out for a lot of cash with potential games against Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy, perhaps the 4 Northern Hemisphere nations decided they'd be financially better off playing each other? Ireland and Wales may get to keep a higher share of their gate, and Scotland and Italy get a percentage paid with fewer expenses to pay out.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 26 May 2018, 8:07 pm

Ta.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueschief Sun 27 May 2018, 2:16 pm

Wales are playing Scotland this Autumn to contest the newly created Doddie Weir cup, in aid of his charity. Some of the money raised with also go to the stay strong for Ows fund.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/dunvant/teams/53551/news/autumn-international-wales-v-scotland-for-doddie-w-2152935.html

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 27 May 2018, 4:28 pm

Didn't know that. Doing some great work is doddle.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 27 May 2018, 4:28 pm

Doddie

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 27 May 2018, 4:38 pm

Deleted

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Sun 27 May 2018, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 27 May 2018, 4:39 pm

Oops wrong thread

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 27 May 2018, 7:19 pm

Two more withdrawals. Shingler and Hewitt are out, so surely we need to call people up as otherwise we are going to struggle to feild a fresh/fit team next week.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 28 May 2018, 12:06 am

We really do need to call some more players up unless the intention is to lose all three games with a scratch team. Turnbull is Shingler’s replacement Rolling Eyes

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 28 May 2018, 5:04 am

Should've taken Owen Lane as a replacement for Hewitt.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May 2018, 1:59 pm

"absolute shambles".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44281132

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 29 May 2018, 2:03 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:"absolute shambles".

Quim Jones, the man is absolute helmet.

Answers his own question in the same sentence ffs

I don't know why it was organised," Jones told BBC Wales Sport's Scrum V programme.

"It was purely money-raising and trying to spread the word in America.

Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 30 May 2018, 10:30 am

Curiosity question, why are Jeff clubs able to stop the release of welsh players from joining up with their test team when English players have been released and have played the Barbarians last weekend?  The 'international window' excuse would become moot as a hard and fast rule with no exceptions allowed surely as soon as team England ran onto the field at the weekend?

Last edited by thebandwagonsociety on Wed 30 May 2018, 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 30 May 2018, 11:44 am

It's not moot. It's down to the agreement te rfu and prl have in releasing players outside of the international window.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 30 May 2018, 5:33 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:It's not moot. It's down to the agreement te rfu and prl have in releasing players outside of the international window.

I agree it may seem petty, but if the PRL are getting extra funding from the RFU for player release outside the window, to let any other union access players free of charge really does put them in a position of w Alness next time the ageeement is renewed.

Although, there is also some he arguement to be made that the inflexibility does help the RFU and other unions too, as it must make the Jeff less appealing to players Tom other unions.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 31 May 2018, 7:40 am

munkian wrote:

I don't know why it was organised," Jones told BBC Wales Sport's Scrum V programme.

Shocked

Helps pay the part-time coaches' salaries too, I guess.
Maybe add some mid week games to the tour schedule in future. Wonder if there's a Washington DC Select XV free next Wednesday who could do with a knock about?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 31 May 2018, 8:06 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
munkian wrote:

Shocked

Helps pay the part-time coaches' salaries too, I guess.
Maybe add some mid week games to the tour schedule in future. Wonder if there's a Washington DC Select XV free next Wednesday who could do with a knock about?

Are you suggesting Cardiff paid for Edwards purely out of their own budget ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 31 May 2018, 1:29 pm

Wales team to face South Africa : Hallam Amos (Dragons); Tom Prydie (Scarlets), George North (Northampton/Ospreys), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Steff Evans (Scarlets); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues); Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues); Cory Hill (Dragons), Bradley Davies (Ospreys); Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues, capt), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester/Dragons).

Replacements : Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Rhodri Jones (Ospreys), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Patchell/Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets).

South Africa: Curwin Bosch; Travis Ismaiel, Jesse Kriel, Andre Esterhuizen, Makazole Mapimpi; Elton Jantjies, Ivan van Zyl; Ox Nche, Chilliboy Ralepelle, Wilco Louw; Jason Jenkins, Pieter-Steph du Toit (capt); Kwagga Smith, Oupa Mohoje, Dan du Preez.

Reps: Akker van der Merwe, Steven Kitshoff, Thomas du Toit, Marvin Orie, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Embrose Papier, Robert du Preez, Warrick Gelant.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 31 May 2018, 1:32 pm

I get resting certain players etc, but I think I would've started Wainwright here, as he is an out and out backrow player and maybe have played Seb Davies over Bradley.

Rhys Patchell a doubt, hence why Gareth Davies is named as a possible backs replacement alongside him.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 31 May 2018, 1:43 pm

RiscaGame wrote:I get resting certain players etc, but I think I would've started Wainwright here, as he is an out and out backrow player and maybe have played Seb Davies over Bradley.

Rhys Patchell a doubt, hence why Gareth Davies is named as a possible backs replacement alongside him.

Agreed, odd choice there.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 31 May 2018, 7:46 pm

It’s bad state of affairs when we are down to having a centre cover fly half, and a scrum half cover the back three off the bench due to injuries/poor squad selection.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 31 May 2018, 8:08 pm

Both experimental teams alright but that is the best back-row we can put out right now. If Francis was at 3 then that’s a strong scrum unit, but it isn’t and from what I’ve seen Lewis doesn’t live up to the early promise. The 10 situation is what we all alluded to weeks ago and it’s already begun. There’s no impact off the bench there which is commonplace when you see the name Aled Davies, but there is also little impact around him. If this continues then the summer will be a waste of time.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 01 Jun 2018, 10:19 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:It’s bad state of affairs when we are down to having a centre cover fly half, and a scrum half cover the back three off the bench due to injuries/poor squad selection.

Resting our Lions, resting Turk players who'll be back next game , its not a bad team considering.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 01 Jun 2018, 11:16 am

munkian wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:It’s bad state of affairs when we are down to having a centre cover fly half, and a scrum half cover the back three off the bench due to injuries/poor squad selection.

Resting our Lions, resting Turk players who'll be back next game , its not a bad team considering.

Its the limited options in the backs that slightly concerns me. Scott is carrying a knock, and imo wouldn’t be available this week anyway, and Patch is an injury concern. So that is actually the full extent of the backs we have on tour.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 01 Jun 2018, 12:25 pm

Mark.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 02 Jun 2018, 1:19 am

Shingler out until Christmas after ACL op.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by rugby4cast Sat 02 Jun 2018, 9:00 pm

We have South Africa Wales on a knife edge, should be a great game to watch! And tbh, with quite a new squad we have Argentina as quite a close series as well...could be really hit and miss for the Welsh!

Wales Summer Tour - Page 2 Photo530

https://sports4cast.com/2018/05/29/summer-tour-wales/

rugby4cast

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 02 Jun 2018, 9:34 pm

Interesting choice in captain.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:01 pm

What have wales got down the front of their shirts?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:04 pm

The live TV coverage is bloody awful so far - I suspect the camera men and director haven't seen a game of rugby in their lives!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:05 pm

They’re waiting for the ad break so they can eat a hotdog covered in cheese.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:06 pm

Lol. Thinking the same rdw.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm

Yellow plastic cheese!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm

They really need to zoom out and stop jumping between cameras so much

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:11 pm

Dear lord this is awful.

Picture quality is terrible. Sound quality is terrible. Camera work is terrible.

Is this because it's in the states or is it because it's channel four?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:12 pm

Seriously is the main camera man drunk??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:13 pm

Director will be from the USA coverage. Not channel 4. Though you can blame the commentary on them.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:13 pm

I luvs a good scrum reset, what is the commentators problem?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:14 pm

To be fair the cameraman has never seen such a fast free flowing game before!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:15 pm

5 minutes of scrums  Rolling Eyes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 02 Jun 2018, 10:16 pm