The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal London One Day Cup

+9
Dolphin Ziggler
wisden
Corporalhumblebucket
Mat
jimbohammers
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
LondonTiger
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Royal London One Day Cup - Page 2 Empty Royal London One Day Cup

Post by jimbohammers Wed 16 May 2018, 1:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gets underway on Thursday..

Winners?
Failures?
Player to watch?

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Royal London One Day Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Royal London One Day Cup

Post by jimbohammers Mon 18 Jun 2018, 2:20 pm

Ok, i was a little optimistic. But happy that we have 335+ on the board first up.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jun 2018, 2:38 pm

Always good to get a big score on the board first in a knockout game - but think Yorks bowled very well in the final 10 to keep Hants to a reachable target, but they'll need one of Lyth or Kohler Cadmore to go big you'd think
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Jun 2018, 3:08 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Always good to get a big score on the board first in a knockout game - but think Yorks bowled very well in the final 10 to keep Hants to a reachable target, but they'll need one of Lyth or Kohler Cadmore to go big you'd think

Yep, pretty much go along with that. Thought Hants looked on for 370 / 380 at one time. Mind you, 348 still isn't to be sniffed at even though Yorks pulled it back well in the closing overs as Olly says. Thought it was a mistake to give the Carver & Lyth combo 11 overs which meant Coad had one left in the locker. Although Lyth finished tidily, the combo was still very expensive.

I fancy Hants at the break. Suspect that Dawson will be more effective than Carver & Lyth.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jun 2018, 3:29 pm

Yorks in trouble early - Lyth and Pujara gone within 5 overs. Going to take a miracle innings from someone now you'd think
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:09 pm

Convincing win for Hants, taking them to final against Kent. (Yorks of course were substantially weakened by absences.)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 19 Jun 2018, 9:34 am

Through to the final Smile
Good all round performance really
We needed a couple of quick wickets up front and we got them.
Dawson great with the ball and good contributions from Wood, Topley and Steyn.
Vince with a classy 171 set it all up though.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 19 Jun 2018, 10:28 am

Come the final, Hampshire look to have the star names - yet who would bet against the 79 year-old Darren Stevens trundling in on his mobility scooter and stealing the MotM Very Happy

Well deserved victory for for Hampshire - with a classy innings from Vince (who frankly should be in the ODI squad as the back up batsman ahead of Billings).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 29 Jun 2018, 10:32 am

Starting to feel the nerves...Tomorrow is the day...

Hampshire vs Kent at Lords.

Fingers Crossed

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 29 Jun 2018, 12:00 pm

You going tomorrow Jimbo? Best of luck to you and your boys!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Jul 2018, 11:00 am

Jimbo - I was out all yesterday but have just watched the Final highlights. Congratulations to you and your boys. Great team display summed up by the 4 Kent run outs following several strong individual Hants' innings. 

Couldn't understand Billings' decision to bowl though - gave you a chance to take the upper hand which you did and never looked back.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 03 Jul 2018, 10:35 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44685116

Mason Crane out for the season with a stress fracture in the spine.

The injury first ruled him out of the NZ tour after making his test debut in Australia. I believe he had a series of injections to allow him to play. He states it was a risk worth taking - but I have to wonder.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 04 Jul 2018, 9:28 am

Cheers Olly and Guildford.
A really good all round display from us. That's the best I've ever seen us field. Roussow will get the headlines but Alsop played a great knock alongside him. Dawson vital with the ball too, tight bowling and just made the required rate for Kent go up and up. Have to mention Chris Wood as well who is a very underrated bowl in the shorter form, in the big high pressure moments he always delivers.

Tiger, yes a real shame for Mason
He had an injection to get through the Lords game and he knew he'd be out for the season after that. He's still young but the injuries have to be a concern.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 15 Jul 2021, 8:29 am

Increasing speculation that this year's RL50 competition will not go ahead.

Stemming from fears that covid will restrict the number of players available for their counties, especially with more being called up for the Hundred (intended to be played at the same as the RL50) due to some dropping out of that because of covid.

A great shame if the only format in which we are world champions isn't played this summer.

Announcement expected this morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Jul 2021, 8:57 am

Following increased speculation that this season's RL50 was to be scrapped in line with my post above, Tom Harrison, Chief Executive of the ECB, came out with a statement yesterday saying ''there were no plans to shelve it'' and it was hoped every scheduled RL50 and Hundred game would be played.

We'll see. No prizes for guessing which tournament will go to the wall first if covid takes further hold.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 30 Jul 2021, 9:20 am

A maiden professional hundred (153) for 20 year old Jack Haynes of Worcester yesterday. To go with his CC average of 42 this year. One to watch.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 19 Aug 2021, 1:10 pm

The final injustice of this year's competition being that the final is held on a midweek afternoon. England world champions at this format, yet the ECB treats the domestic 50-over competition with appalling disdain.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Aug 2021, 1:32 pm

Duty281 wrote:The final injustice of this year's competition being that the final is held on a midweek afternoon. England world champions at this format, yet the ECB treats the domestic 50-over competition with appalling disdain.

Absolutely. And no longer a Lord's final.

As for the game itself, I'm out this afternoon but hope to be back to see Salter bowling for Glamorgan. He was someone I tipped as ''one to watch'' a few years back. The poor guy is still trying to shake that off but has been useful in this year's comp. The player who has really impressed though when I've seen Glam this season is seamer Hogan - on the button and miserly with it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 19 Aug 2021, 6:09 pm

Your man Salter is on fire!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Aug 2021, 6:33 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Your man Salter is on fire!

Yer, just back in time to see him taken off! Laugh

Have caught up with his wickets though. Lovely ball to bowl Lees.

Durham 108/4 off 26, needing 189 more. Looks like Glam's Cup from here.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Aug 2021, 7:31 pm

Final insult for this tournament - sounds like it's Alex Tudor on Sky comms!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Aug 2021, 8:15 pm

Aww great, MotM for Salter. I'll leave the guy alone now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 19 Aug 2021, 9:07 pm

Was a good final with plenty of fluctuation. Glamorgan's tenth wicket stand and superior ground fielding won it for them. Dickson played a quality innings for Durham but ran out of support. Hope the tournament has more respect from the ECB next year.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Fri 20 Aug 2021, 12:42 pm

Duty281 wrote:England world champions at this format, yet the ECB treats the domestic 50-over competition with appalling disdain.
I suppose rather fittingly won by not even the best team from Wales then, given they lost their warmup game Whistle Wink

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 10 Aug 2022, 6:32 pm

Superb game between Somerset and Durham.

Somerset dead in the water - 195/8 chasing 343 for victory. Cue Ben Green with an innings of 157 off 84, 12 sixes included, to drag his team oh so close, before falling agonisingly short at the point Somerset needed just 10 off 5 balls.

Duty281

JDizzle and guildfordbat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 10 Aug 2022, 8:30 pm

Duty281 wrote:Superb game between Somerset and Durham.

Somerset dead in the water - 195/8 chasing 343 for victory. Cue Ben Green with an innings of 157 off 84, 12 sixes included, to drag his team oh so close, before falling agonisingly short at the point Somerset needed just 10 off 5 balls.

Thanks for flagging, Duty.

I've mentioned before - particularly to JD - that I like Green. Fine team man, seeming to always give his best as he's shuffled up and down the order and being used or not used as the fifth or sixth bowler. Excellent fielder too. Credit to Somerset for recognising that attitude as well as his cricketing abilities and making him their RL50 captain. Just a shame his efforts weren't in a winning cause today. Especially notable that he and Alfie Ogbourne (no, me neither) put on 97 for the ninth wicket, of which Ogbourne made 3.

Btw, Sonny Baker - one of Olly's tips for the top - got a sixfer in this game. A highly commendable 6/46 off 10.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 10 Aug 2022, 11:12 pm

https://youtu.be/hsBKezMJ5Co

Highlights of the Green masterclass. Three points…

1) He definitely has an arc!
2) Awful shot from Ogbourne to be bowled. Green must have given him the green light or why else would he do it after having dug in so well as Guildford highlighted.
3) That is some of the worst death bowling you will ever see!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 14 Aug 2022, 10:51 pm

A maiden List A 10 for James Rew today, to go with his debut CC 100 a few weeks ago. Only 18 - and was the back up keeper for the Lions game vs SA last week. Definitely a talent and is on the radar.

JDizzle

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 30 Aug 2022, 12:05 pm

Semi-finals today of the domestic tournament that England are world champions in. But little promotion, not on TV, no headline news, it's disgraceful. Yet the pathetic Hundred competition gets the main billing.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 30 Aug 2022, 1:40 pm

Duty281 wrote:Semi-finals today of the domestic tournament that England are world champions in. But little promotion, not on TV, no headline news, it's disgraceful. Yet the pathetic Hundred competition gets the main billing.

Thanks, Duty. I had overlooked that the semis are today. As a stalwart / sad old git of the domestic scene, that probably says a lot.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 30 Aug 2022, 6:19 pm

Couple of good games as well.

Hampshire worked their way to 310/6, three half-centurions and a 45 but no one making a massive score, and Kent chased it down with three wickets left, despite being on the ropes at 20/2 and 181/5. Ollie Robinson got 95 for Kent to set it up, and the master Darren Stevens plundered 84 off 65 (11 4s; 3 6s) to see his side home. Beautiful. Someone sign him up.

Lancashire are on the verge of joining Kent in the final. Lancashire were 67/5 batting first, but 121 from Vilas and support low down the order saw them reach 319/8. Sussex made a strong start, 126/1 after 21 overs, then the batting order fell apart and no one made a real contribution from number 4 down. Looks like Lancashire will win by a comfortable 60 or so runs.

The final will be played on the 17th September, a Saturday, which is an improvement on last year when it was held on a Wednesday. Live on Sky as well.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm

The One Day Cup final is tomorrow, set to be played on a sunny day in Nottingham. Will Jennings lead his young side to glory? Or will 46-year-old Darren Stevens get the perfect ending after 18 seasons with Kent, in what may be his last ever professional game?

I think near enough every neutral is in Kent's corner, thanks to the Stevens factor.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 17 Sep 2022, 6:24 pm

Kent are on an impressively successful run of showing up for one format per year.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 17 Sep 2022, 6:43 pm

Solid win for Kent with some superb catching in the deep. Stevens got an unbeaten 33 to send him off into possible retirement.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 30 Jul 2023, 4:21 pm

Traditional warmup round against minor counties today, looking like comfortable wins for most where the rain is permitting, only Durham in a spot of bother against Northumberland.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 31 Jul 2023, 9:56 am

Lowlandbrit wrote:Traditional warmup round against minor counties today, looking like comfortable wins for most where the rain is permitting, only Durham in a spot of bother against Northumberland.

I was at Norfolk vs Notts yesterday, Notts with a fairly strong XI out and took care of business pretty easily - Matt Mongtomery batted nicely in particular, albeit Hameed got a first baller!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 01 Aug 2023, 2:35 pm

Spotted two hat-tricks today in the One Day Cup. One for Matthew Revis and one for Liam Trevaskis.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 01 Aug 2023, 5:24 pm

Revis's hat trick coming in an extraordinary Kent innings v Yorkshire:
Nick Compton with 103, Joey Evison 136, taking Kent from 49-4 after 15 to the verge of a good total at 268-4 half way through the 48th over. 49th over was Revis - 2 runs and the hattrick. Kent managed 12 off the last over, to finish on 282-9 (Compton run out on the last ball). Other than the two centurions, the next best score was 14, with 3 single fisuge scores (one not out) and 4 ducks.

JUst noticed that Devon Malcolm is one of the match officials. Didn't know he was still involved in the game.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 01 Aug 2023, 5:44 pm

Interestingly(ish) the only two teams that got full matches in on Sunday are in the only two uninterrupted games again today: Derbyshire (in Lincoln and Cheltenham) and Durham (Newcastle and CLS Shocked).

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 09 Aug 2023, 1:39 pm

Privthi Shaw currently 191* off 38.3 overs against Somerset at Taunton. Ali Brown reaches for another glass of scotch.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 09 Aug 2023, 4:13 pm

JDizzle wrote:Privthi Shaw currently 191* off 38.3 overs against Somerset at Taunton. Ali Brown reaches for another glass of scotch.

Dismissed in the final over for 244. Ali Brown survives! I refuse to acknowledge this effort as counting given they won by 400+ runs!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/vijay-hazare-trophy-2022-23-1332914/arunachal-pradesh-vs-tamil-nadu-elite-group-c-1333156/full-scorecard

JDizzle

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 09 Aug 2023, 5:05 pm

JDizzle wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Privthi Shaw currently 191* off 38.3 overs against Somerset at Taunton. Ali Brown reaches for another glass of scotch.

Dismissed in the final over for 244. Ali Brown survives! I refuse to acknowledge this effort as counting given they won by 400+ runs!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/vijay-hazare-trophy-2022-23-1332914/arunachal-pradesh-vs-tamil-nadu-elite-group-c-1333156/full-scorecard

244 from 153 balls, so striking at just under 160 for the entire innings. Northants possibly blew a record-breaking position with a collapse in the last couple of overs (12 runs, 5 wickests from the last ball of the 48th over to the end, pretty much all caught in the deep), but you;d think 415 would be enough almost every time. Commentators were reckoning it was a bit of a slow wicket that most batsmen were struggling with their timing, with the obvious exception of Shaw.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 15 Aug 2023, 6:26 pm

And again the 50 over format shows why it is better than T20 / Hundred.
Five games, and only Middlesex beating Notts by well over 100 runs being not competitive.

Lancashire did very well to restrict Hampshire to 234 all out after a 130 run opening stand, but then themselves fell 11 runs short with an over to go.

Leicesterrshire beat Essex by 2 wickets with 9 balls left.

Yorkshire with a 33 run 10th wicket stand beat Surrey by a wicket with 9 balls to spare

Warwickshire slightly more comfortable, winning by 4 wickets with 14 balls in hand after a seriously good last 4 overs in their bowling performance.

All of the tight games had scores int he 230-250 range

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 15 Aug 2023, 7:23 pm

Love me some Sol Budinger. Maiden List A ton today - 102 off 74 and now averages 40.36 striking at 136 in the format! Just an absolute intent monster, full throttle no matter what.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 15 Aug 2023, 10:25 pm

JDizzle wrote:Love me some Sol Budinger. Maiden List A ton today - 102 off 74 and now averages 40.36 striking at 136 in the format! Just an absolute intent monster, full throttle no matter what.

Impressive for sure. I saw him the other week at the Oval where he made 33 (22) before falling to a sharp catch at mid on when attempting his ninth four.

However, my latest cricket man crush is Jack Leaning. Kent's captain in the 50 over format. Talk about leading from the front! In his last 2 games - batting number 3, he scored 87 (94) v Surrey and 68 (68) v Middlesex with two 10 over spells respectively of 0/37 and 2/36. What seals the deal for me is that both times he took the new ball and bowled all 10 on the reel pushing the opposition further behind the run rate with every over. Just adore that. I've long considered there's too much tendency to take a bowler off when he's found his rhythm and is in a winning groove.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 28 Aug 2023, 5:23 pm

Semi-finals set: Warwickshire v Hampshire, and Leicestershire v Gloucestershire.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Aug 2023, 12:45 pm

First semi-final a bit of a non contest. Warwickshire put into bat and are currently 91/8. Barker doing the initial damage with 3/28, then Dawson following up with a spell, so far, of 5/15!

93ao. Dawson finishing with 7/15 from 6.5 overs, taking five wickets in ten balls. Shocked

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 29 Aug 2023, 4:09 pm

Duty281 wrote:First semi-final a bit of a non contest. Warwickshire put into bat and are currently 91/8.
Second one very different: Gloucestershire put into bat and are currently 115/8. Might actually get 50 overs total between them!

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Sep 2023, 6:25 pm

Amazing final today between Leicestershire and Hampshire.

Leicestershire pulled off a stunning comeback to beat Hampshire by two runs, in a game that went down to the final ball. Batting first, Leicestershire were 19/4 and 89/6, before 60 from Evans and an astonishing 117* off 96 balls by Swindells carried their side to 267/7.

Hampshire seemed to be in control of the chase at 117/2 and 218/5, with half-centuries from Dawson and Prest, but no one pushed on to a big score as the outsiders continually chipped away. Dawson fell in the final over and Hampshire couldn't get over the line.

Well done Leicestershire. clap

Duty281

Lowlandbrit likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2