The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards

+4
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
EWT Spoons
RDW
8 posters

Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards Empty Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards

Post by RDW Mon 21 May 2018, 8:49 am

Player of the year
Young player of the year
Newcomer of the year
The “must do better” award

Win of the year
Try of the year
Worst defeat of the year

Forwards rating /10
Backs rating /10
Coaching rating /10

The miscellaneous award for anything else you want to mention

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards

Post by RDW Mon 21 May 2018, 9:00 am

Here's mine for Edinburgh

Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards

Player of the year – Bill Mata. He was an underwhelming signing last year but has been an absolute beast this season, particularly the second half. If he carries that form on I can’t see Edinburgh keeping hold of him!

Young player of the year – Jamie Ritchie. He’s been around a few seasons now but has established himself as a top player for us. In a Richard Hill mould, he just seems to make the whole team better when he plays.

Newcomer of the year – Duhan VDM. We didn’t see him until late last year but what an impact he made. A physical freak and rapid too, with an eye for the tryline. He needs to work on his aerial game (like all big wingers) but he’s still young. He could become one of the stars of the league.

The “must do better” award – I was going to call this the Nathan Fowles award, given how truly awful he has been this season. His all-round skillset isn’t good and that has been combined with real flakeyness and high profile errors. He somehow made it to the Scotland squad but it certainly wasn’t based on his performances! He’s got a lot of improvement to do in pre-season.

Win of the year – the surprise beating of Glasgow in the first 1872 leg. That seemed to be the catalyst to our end of season run and was very satisfying!

Try of the year – Can’t remember who against (Munster?) but Fife breaking out from our 22 and VDM finishing was a special try, especially given how turgid the game had been up to then

Worst defeat of the year – No contest, the Treviso game at home. Treviso were no slouches this season but we still shouldn’t have lost that game. Cockerill has referred to it many times this season and in some ways was the defining performance that really turned the team around. If they ever believed their hype before that they certainly didn’t after!

Forwards rating /10 – 8/10. Our pack has found its bite again and really took it to most teams this season. They dismantled Glasgow in the last game of the season, although given Glasgow’s powder puff pack this season that probably isn’t too big an accolade!

Backs rating /10 – 6/10. A big improvement on last season but still plenty work to do. I’m still not convinced Hodge is the man to do it though!

Coaching rating /10 – 8/10. No one expected Edinburgh to do so well this season, and we had a poor start, but Cockerill has transformed the mentality of the team. The real test comes now – how do they back that up next season?

The miscellaneous award for anything else you want to mention – this 1872 cup milarky is getting a bit easy. Can we play another team instead??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow end of season awards

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 21 May 2018, 9:07 am

Largely agree with your awards RDW, but I think Kinghorn deserves at least a mention somewhere, he's different class compared to the player he was last year, and not sure how it finished at the end, but he was leading the pro14 for metres made and carries for a number of weeks.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 May 2018, 9:34 am

Player of the year I am going to go for Sam Johnson. Consistently good in the 12 shirt and is a Scotland player in waiting once he qualifies this autumn

[b]Young Player of the year[b] Peter Horne, no question. Could easily have been the player of the year as well. as he was voted in the end of season awards. One of the few players to remain consistent throughout the season and even looked good against the Scarlets. A few basic skills to develop still (box kicking) and Scotland has its long term successor to GL.

[b]Newcomer of the Year[b] Callum Gibbins who lead by example all season except when injured. Would have no issue with him being club captain next season

[b]Must do better award[b] Finn Russell, who it is fair to say did not play up to his potential and probably had his mind on Paris for the greater part of the season

[b]Win of the year[b] Against the Cheetahs at altitude. The culmination of our autumn run, when it really did seem like we could not lose

[b]Try of the Year[b] Either of the end to end tries against Exeter. Just to remind us what Glasgow can really do!

[b]Worse Defeat of the Year[b] The Scarlets, we really did not turn up

[b]Forwards rating[b] 6/10 adequate just won't cut it at the level we want to be at

[b] backs rating[b] 6.5/10 slightly better than adequate, but still not good enough

[b] Coaching rating[b] 5.5/10 the coaches and the players never seemed to be quite on the same wavelength even when we were winning and most obviously when we were not. Early days, but DR needs to impose his own style. We seem to be caught in two minds a lot of the time.

[b] Anything else[b] Don't be to cocky Edinburgh, we are not done yet!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 21 May 2018, 9:59 am

Going to assume you mean George Horne

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 21 May 2018, 10:01 am

The Jimbopip award for technology fail of the year - Bigge's attempt to make the headings bold!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 May 2018, 10:24 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:The Jimbopip award for technology fail of the year - Bigge's attempt to make the headings bold!

Yes, I have just about managed the quotes, but the bold and italics has me beat!

Anyway, no ageism on this forum please!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 May 2018, 10:24 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Going to assume you mean George Horne

Yes, George.

I have not really got off to a good start today, I guess it is Monday!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 21 May 2018, 10:48 am

Player of the year - Bill Mata (such as shame he's not SQ)

Young player of the year - Blair Kinghorn (moved up into international honours)

Newcomer of the year - Wee George Horne

The “must do better” award - Joint winners: Dave Rennie & the whole Glasgow team

Win of the year - Edinburgh, once again, winning the 1872 trophy

Try of the year - Any try scored by VDM (mk2)

Get away to F*&k award - Nathan Foul

Leader of the year - Stuart McInally

Coach of the year - Cockers

Leaver of the year - Finn Russell (tattie bye now)

Ref of the year - Mike Adamson Tumbleweed

Fail of the year - BBC Alba forgetting to turn the red button on for half the games

Ostrich of the year - 21st (where has he gone?)

Most improved poster of the year - Jimbo and his general grasp of the quote function
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 21 May 2018, 11:24 am

For Glasgow

Player of the Year - Ruaridh Jackson started 17 and subbed in for 2 more games this season. His early season form was excellent before tailing off at the end. Johnson and Gibbins both get honourable mentions

Young Player of the Year - M Fagerson. Played almost a 1000 minutes of Pro 14 rugby (almost twice as much as Bhatti, M Smith and G Horne who are all in the 520-540 range) and was good enough to be trusted as the starting 6 in a semi final. Really could be a World Cup bolter for the Scotland 8 jersey. G Horne, Bhatti and M Smith all deserve honourable mentions.

Newcomer of the Year - Gibbins. Should be captain next year. Put in some great shifts. DTH VDM has been good since his return late in the season

Must Do Better - Kebble. Injury prone yet when he played, was outplayed by Bhatti and Allan. For a relatively big name signing, he has underperformed

Win of the Year - In retrospect, that Cheetahs win looks great. It was a Pyrrhic victory in some ways but the first team to win away to them I believe?

Defeat of the Year - Scarlets in the semi final. Got out-thought the first time round and the failure to improve is damning on the coaches

Forwards Ratings - 6/10. Good when the ref allows a messy breakdown and can hold their own against all but the most dominant of scrums. The line-outs have fallen apart towards the back end of the season and they struggle to adapt to stricter refs. The carrying is a problem without Ashe. There is plenty to work on

Backs Rating - 6/10. Saved by the performance of the 'lesser' players. Russell, Hogg, H Jones, Seymour, Dunbar and Price have woefully underperformed from last year. Some positive signs that Pyrgos is getting to being a net positive towards the end of the season, Jackson deserves to be back in the Scotland conversation and Johnson will be a Scotland 12 soon. P Horne, L Jones, Grigg and Sarto have all had moments this year. G Horne and Hastings are good indicators for the future

Coaching Rating - 5/10. Skills and kicking have improved. The game plan is even more one dimensional than under Toonie, the failure to rotate before Exeter and the general regression of the set piece have been negatives. Might be harder to replace Toonie and McFarland than thought. Might be a bit cocky to assume that someone can come in and be much better right away when the previous coach has done great work

Anything Else Rennie has to have learned from international breaks how to plan for them or else he is off. Forwards/set piece coach has to carry the can for the regression this year

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 21 May 2018, 11:30 am

As good as the Cheetah’s win away was, it was probably a mistake for DR to take the squad he did given A) they didn’t need the win and B) is messed up their chances of a Champions Cup win the following weekend. It was an epic game though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 25 May 2018, 1:36 pm

The Fifth Annual MrsPip, "Does He actually Get Paid For Doing That?" For the fifth year running goes to Grant Gilchrist.

The Island Of Doctor Moreau Travel Award Otherwise known as the, "We've turned you into a man/sloth/meatball mutant now off you go and enjoy your travels....goes to Duncan weir.
The John Wayne Get Off Your Horse And Drink Your Milk Award Richard "Walk to the training pitch or you're sacked." Cockerill.

The Jimbopip "Let Me Dry That Tea-set That's Been In your Family Since 1911....Should The Handle Detach From The Cup Like This Has?"  An impressive debut award winning season by Dave Rennie. We were all worried that Scott Cummings' improvement graph would go through the office roof: Dave sorted that. We were worried that Schiz and Bru would fall out arguing over who was the better scrummager: The Mighty Coo or Zander The Scrumcap. Dave fixed that. After seeing Huw Jones score for fun in a Scotland jersey we were worried that we would need to put up a new shelf in the Scotstoun trophy room. Dave fixed that too.

The Brexit: The People May Have Spoken But I must Be True To My Internationalist Philosophy   Finn Russell.

The Matt Williams, Scotland Rugby Sides Are Wonderful But They'll Break Your Heart Every Time Award After possibly the greatest comeback since Lazarus and making himself a certainty to captain Scotland in Japan, John Achilles Barclay.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 25 May 2018, 3:15 pm

jimbopip wrote:The Fifth Annual MrsPip, "Does He actually Get Paid For Doing That?" For the fifth year running goes to Grant Gilchrist.

The Island Of Doctor Moreau Travel Award Otherwise known as the, "We've turned you into a man/sloth/meatball mutant now off you go and enjoy your travels....goes to Duncan weir.
The John Wayne Get Off Your Horse And Drink Your Milk Award  Richard "Walk to the training pitch or you're sacked." Cockerill.

The Jimbopip "Let Me Dry That Tea-set That's Been In your Family Since 1911....Should The Handle Detach From The Cup Like This Has?"  An impressive debut award winning season by Dave Rennie. We were all worried that Scott Cummings' improvement graph would go through the office roof: Dave sorted that. We were worried that Schiz and Bru would fall out arguing over who was the better scrummager: The Mighty Coo or Zander The Scrumcap. Dave fixed that. After seeing Huw Jones score for fun in a Scotland jersey we were worried that we would need to put up a new shelf in the Scotstoun trophy room. Dave fixed that too.

The Brexit: The People May Have Spoken But I must Be True To My Internationalist Philosophy   Finn Russell.

The Matt Williams, Scotland Rugby Sides Are Wonderful But They'll Break Your Heart Every Time Award After possibly the greatest comeback since Lazarus and making himself a certainty to captain Scotland in Japan, John Achilles Barclay.

Thats a bit harsh on Gilchrist who has had a decent season really. Certainly far better than Tim "tiny" Swinson.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 26 May 2018, 6:37 am

Gilcrest has been pure mince. the odd halfway decent performance does not make up for his stupid giving away of penalties and general ineffectiveness. Why he is anywhere near the scotland team astounds me. Never seen anything from him to merit it

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 26 May 2018, 12:53 pm

Players of the year – Jaco van der Walt, Simon Berghan, Duhan van der Merwe, Blair Kinghorn, Viliame ‘Bill’ Mata
Young player of the year – Chris Dean - Looked pretty decent and has really sure'd up the midfield for Edinburgh's backline. He'll only get better!
Newcomer of the year – Darryl Marfo - Shame he hasbeen injured for a good chunk but he hasbeen a big part of the packs strength in depth for Edinburgh and Scotland.
The “must do better” award – Stuart McInally (What!!? I hear you say) Well this is more in the vein of he has had a fantastic season and really made a huge step up in quality but needs to improve his throwing to be at that world class level. Too many poor throws for club and country in my opinion and I'd really like to see him nail this particular aspect of his game and iron out the little things a bit.
Win of the year - Away to Harlequins - They may have had a poor season but Edinburgh dominated in the 1st half and scored some beautiful try's.

Try of the year – I really liked that one vs Scarlets B team where Van der Merwe gets the ball 60m out after a couple of deep passes from one side of the pitch to the other and then brushes past Tom Varndell with ease from the halfway line and another attempted Scarlets tackle to score with ease.

Worst defeat of the year – Treviso at Home

Forwards rating - 7.5/10 (boget marks for unforced error count but a pack in the making we have!)

Backs rating 7/10 - Best the backline has been for a long time and they are far from perfect yet but the attacking play has been much more inventive and effective.

Coaching rating - 7/10 - Incredible first season for Cockers but can he continue this exponential growth of the team? I hope he can and hopefully by cleaning out the house a bit he can build a special team that will win more games both in the pro 14 and Europe. Dark Horses to make it out of their group in Europe next year.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down