The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joshua v Povetkin

+7
Pedro147
melv500
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
No name Bertie
Nathaniel Jacobs
Seanusarrilius
11 posters

Go down

Joshua v Povetkin Empty Joshua v Povetkin

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 1:16

Looks like this is next. How do we see this one going? Povetkin has good technique and a bit of pop, but struggled with Price and is now not on the roids. AJ KO mid rounds for me. Maybe with a scare beforehand.

I like this fight as an interimn before Wilder bout next summer. Hearn prob wants to delay Wilder, as that is a better summer fight than winter, IMO. Also needs a bit of building.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Joshua v Povetkin Empty Re: Joshua v Povetkin

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 2:05

Povetkin was an elite amateur, legitimate Olympics gold medal and various other championships. His pro career has been underwhelming.

Joshua, average amateur, gifted an undeserving Olympics gold medal. Pancakes stiffs as a pro and gets unreal hype. Only noteworthy win was against a shot Wlad.

Joshua win probably win after landing one of his all or nothing shots. But povetkin technique is million times better. But he's so small.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 9:40

I hope to see Joshua using this fight as another opportunity to develop his defensive skills and stamina - with maybe stepping it up to knock Povetkin out in the later rounds.  Some are making Wilder favorite to beat Joshua - saying Wilder has freakish power in his hands and if he catches Joshua it could be lights out for Joshua.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 1:17

Be a good test of AJ's technical development. He looks stiff and a top flight fighter will see his power punches coming a lot better than the lower lot. Povetkin is small, but technically gifted. A good test.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 1:19

Be a good test of AJ's technical development. He looks stiff and a top flight fighter will see his power punches coming a lot better than the lower lot. Povetkin is small, but technically gifted. A good test.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 3:41

I was not impressed with Povetkin's last fight at all. Granted he KO'd Price, but he looked about as comfortable as Prince Charles in a nightclub whilst doing so. Pricey also had him for a standing 8 count and if he hadn't been saved by the bell David could've unleashed and got him out of there.

I think that if Joshua learns to ignore the other fighter's previous achievements and ignores any respect he might give them, it could be a short fight. Povetkin is not the fighter that he once was, and fighting a big, decent heavyweight will probably be his end. I expect this fight will be quick and painful.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 17 Jun 2018 - 17:33

6ft 1.....220...Fat and Slow..

Waste of time.....Not Joshua's fault but until he fights Fury or Wilder....

It is like Joe Louis' bum of the month..

I will pass..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 22:11

I am happy to give him the benefit of the doubt for the Price fight. He had him in trouble before he got caught so could be forgiven for not being fully focused. Also Price is a monster puncher.

As for AJ then unless he catches with a bomb then I think its over in about rounds 5/6. Povetkin did nothing against an ageing Wlad and I can’t see him doing much to fresh AJ. A good test but I dont see any upsets here.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 22:28

"He did nothing against Wlad" and you can't see him doing anything here.

But it is a good test..

Ok.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 22:44

Arguably the second best fighter he has been with. Just because I can’t see him doing anything does not mean it isn't a good test.

OK

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 23:44

Arguably the second best fighter doesn't mean a lot when you have fought a sack of crap..

Mitch Blood Green plays with Dillian Whyte and Joseph Parker.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Tue 19 Jun 2018 - 0:21

I can’t say I disagree with that but that’s why I think it’s a good test albeit I expect AJ to win. If he struggles then it shows where he really is at.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 27 Jun 2018 - 22:52

Wilder has poured scorn on Hearn and Joshua without signing a contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/44623853

Can't say I am surprised. Wilder's opponents tend to be older, or not very good in the first place. He came within 5 seconds of losing against Ortiz and he knows it. He fancies milking a few more dollars from an easy defence vs AJ's sloppy second Breazeale. The WBA had every right to enforce the mandatory, especially considering Wilder had the contract and didn't sign.
This ramps up the "grudge" and each fighter gets a pass and a mandatory out of the way. I think Joshua takes Povetkin out early and Wilder struggles a bit against Breazeale before he gets lucky with a windmill punch knocking dear Dominic out in the 10th.

2019 unification anyone?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 27 Jun 2018 - 23:31

Mr Bounce wrote:Wilder has poured scorn on Hearn and Joshua without signing a contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/44623853

Can't say I am surprised. Wilder's opponents tend to be older, or not very good in the first place. He came within 5 seconds of losing against Ortiz and he knows it. He fancies milking a few more dollars from an easy defence vs AJ's sloppy second Breazeale. The WBA had every right to enforce the mandatory, especially considering Wilder had the contract and didn't sign.
This ramps up the "grudge" and each fighter gets a pass and a mandatory out of the way. I think Joshua takes Povetkin out early and Wilder struggles a bit against Breazeale before he gets lucky with a windmill punch knocking dear Dominic out in the 10th.

2019 unification anyone?

Can't believe Breazeale will get another chance for a HW title, he was awful versus Joshua. I fancy Joshua to beat Povetkin but Joshua didn't look great against Takem (although winning well) so it's still a potential banana skin.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Thu 28 Jun 2018 - 3:00

Luis Ortiz was a better win than Joshua struggling against a semi retired Wlad

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu 28 Jun 2018 - 3:36

Nathaniel Jacobs wrote:Luis Ortiz was a better win than Joshua struggling against a semi retired Wlad

Ortiz is about 50, Wlad wasn't at his best but it was defo a better win than Ortiz.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Thu 28 Jun 2018 - 10:16

Hope AJ gets knocked out

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 3:27

Having looked at the "aftermath" of this it seems to me that both Wilder's & Joshua's camps have probably agreed a fight next April behind the scenes. They both have a mandatory before then and barring any unlikely losses they should make a bit more money and then face each other next year. Wilder gets to play the mouthy guy so he's in his element, AJ stays calm and collected. The fight and the "grudge" brews a bit more, making the fight even more mouthwatering.

Breazeale will offer Wilder a bit of a match but going on his showing against Price, I think Povetkin is done. We shall see.

Just out of interest @pauline why do want AJ to lose to a known drug cheat?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Sat 30 Jun 2018 - 5:52

Aj is awful tyson fury the true champ

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 1 Jul 2018 - 7:37

pauline wrote:Aj is awful tyson fury the true champ

Care to elaborate as to why? You don't win 3x HW Titles and an Olympic Gold medal by being rubbish. Granted you may not like the hype train that AJ's on, but results do speak for themselves. And until Fury's in a position to properly challenge for the belts he relinquished, he's an irrelevance in the HW Title scene. He's currently unfit by comparison and hideously rusty. If he fought either of the current champs right now it would be carnage and a career ending defeat. Let him get back to full fitness and then start singing his praises. As he stands Larry Holmes might beat him and he's been retired 16 years...

He is of course the Linear Champ, but that does not guarantee a title shot. He's been out of the game nearly 3 years so it will take time for him to regain his form.

Let's also not forget that the first belt AJ won was the IBF title, the one that Fury gave up because he refused to fight their No1 contender Vyacheslav Glazkov. Given the fact that Charles Martin won by default with his opponent being injured, it would hardly have been a difficult fight for TF. I am not an AJ fanboy, but I do think he's achieved his status by hard work and talent. Let's get TF back to full fitness, hope that AJ beats Windmill Wilder and then they can have a 4-belt humdinger of a fight.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Sun 1 Jul 2018 - 10:31

Aj fought no big names yet Wilder will destroy aj ,fury beats wilder then gives aj a beating also

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Sun 1 Jul 2018 - 10:33

Fury world champ again in 2020 I predict

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 3 Jul 2018 - 0:05

Mr Bounce wrote:
pauline wrote:Aj is awful tyson fury the true champ

Care to elaborate as to why? You don't win 3x HW Titles and an Olympic Gold medal by being rubbish. Granted you may not like the hype train that AJ's on, but results do speak for themselves. And until Fury's in a position to properly challenge for the belts he relinquished, he's an irrelevance in the HW Title scene. He's currently unfit by comparison and hideously rusty. If he fought either of the current champs right now it would be carnage and a career ending defeat. Let him get back to full fitness and then start singing his praises. As he stands Larry Holmes might beat him and he's been retired 16 years...

He is of course the Linear Champ, but that does not guarantee a title shot. He's been out of the game nearly 3 years so it will take time for him to regain his form.

Let's also not forget that the first belt AJ won was the IBF title, the one that Fury gave up because he refused to fight their No1 contender Vyacheslav Glazkov. Given the fact that Charles Martin won by default with his opponent being injured, it would hardly have been a difficult fight for TF. I am not an AJ fanboy, but I do think he's achieved his status by hard work and talent. Let's get TF back to full fitness, hope that AJ beats Windmill Wilder and then they can have a 4-belt humdinger of a fight.

Think this is probably bang on, they will have had this arranged in the background already and in fairness it makes sense. Get 2 mandatory's out of the road before hand with the view to having an immediate rematch after the first fight.

There is no way that if they fought now that all 4 governing bodies would give them another exemption to have a rematch before facing their mandatory and we would probably end up back in the same position Fury was when he signed for the rematch with Wlad were at least one belt gets stripped.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 5 Jul 2018 - 2:35

pauline wrote:Aj fought no big names yet Wilder will destroy aj ,fury beats wilder then gives aj a beating also

Right...

Fury has fought very few big names either. Wlad, Steve Cunningham and Chisora. Hardly a who's who of contenders. I would say that Wlad, Whyte and Parker plus Takam, Molina and Breazeale eclipses that. If you apply that to AJ, you apply it to Fury. It's a very poor argument you have there Pauline.

I am also not certain that "Wilder will destroy AJ". Any fighter who has half decent footwork has been able to keep Wilder at bay mostly until succumbing to his crazy shots. AJ is WAY better than anything else Wilder has fought. Ortiz was allegedly 39 but most reckon he's older. And he was a few seconds away from lifting Wilder's belt. AJ has been knocked down before but that was a beautifully timed punch from a super-fit and massively motivated Wlad. If he sees Wilder's windmills coming it could be a long night for Deontay. Counter-punch city!

I think on boxing nous AJ is significantly better than Wilder. We know Deontay has that power, but he is crude and his footwork's all over the place. Fury will have to wait for a bit until he is properly back in the mix.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 12 Jul 2018 - 21:38

pauline wrote:Aj fought no big names yet Wilder will destroy aj ,fury beats wilder then gives aj a beating also

I bet you are still tipping Brazil to win the world cup as well Laugh

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jul 2018 - 21:07

Confirmed - Sept 22nd - Wembley - Box Office

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Wed 18 Jul 2018 - 2:51

Aj is keeping the belts warm for fury

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 7:04

pauline wrote:Aj is keeping the belts warm for fury

Ah yes, Fury who you hold in such high regard. Needing quite a bit of tuning up after his 2 1/2 years away from the sport isn't he. Vitali Klitchko by comparison was 4 years out, then went straight in with the then WBC Champ and forced him to quit on his stool. I'm not sure that Fury will regain his top spot. His next formidable adversary is Francisco Pianeta. He got KO'd by the feather fisted 12-round survivor that is Kevin Johnson. Hardly a top ranked opponent.

Granted he's gently working his way back into the mix, but if he's as good as you say he is, a better opponent would probably be a good idea. Would love to see what he'd make of a puncher like Daniel Dubois or Joe Joyce.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 12:26

Joe Joyce lol fury knock him out quick mismatch

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 20:18

pauline wrote:Joe Joyce lol fury knock him out quick mismatch

I'd very much like it if you actually put some knowledge behind your opinion. It's very hard to believe someone who puts "lol" in the middle of a sentence has a detailed argument. Joe Joyce is raw - I was merely speculating about how Fury would deal with a BIG puncher. He hasn't fought many has he?? Ok let's change it up a bit. How's about Dillian Whyte? He's doing pretty well and is ranked by the big organisations. How would Tyson fight him? Please show your workings.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 23:08

It's a WUM bouncy I wouldn't worry about it. By all accounts (Warren's and Fury's) he can't really go near anyone dangerous as he's still not ready *sigh*.

Dillian Whyte would be a cracking yardstick actually, Fury SHOULD win as he's shown the skills before but is he really that motivated to get back to the top? IMO needs to have a bout with some of the top tier fighters to cement his legacy otherwise he's in danger of being an also ran who got lucky against Wlad. This would be a shame as he might be boxings own marmite but he shown a lot of people up with that performance.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 21 Jul 2018 - 0:14

I know it's a WUM - I just couldn't resist hence the very sarcastic tone of my post Wink He has the potential to be very good, but the reality is he's an awkward 6ft 9in lump who worked to an exceptional fight plan from his Uncle in the Wlad fight. He's not the most predictable and Wlad took him lightly, then got confused with what to do. Perfect plan given the circumstances.

However, the first proper big puncher he faces, he's on the floor at least once.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Sun 22 Jul 2018 - 3:11

Your the wum thinking tyson fury will be beat

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 22 Jul 2018 - 3:55

pauline wrote:Your the wum thinking tyson fury will be beat

*You're* Wink

Mr Bounce