The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland end of season summary and awards

+19
des
reallybored
funnyExiledScot
highland_scot
IanBru
TheMildlyFranticLlama
George Carlin
Hazel Sapling
NeilyBroon
TJ
yappysnap
Tramptastic
jimbopip
Eejit
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
BigGee
RDW
23 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Scotland end of season summary and awards - Page 6 Empty Scotland end of season summary and awards

Post by RDW Mon 25 Jun 2018, 9:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland season 2017-2018

Summer tour

Argentina 15 - 44 Scotland
USA 30 - 29 Scotland
Canada 10 - 48 Scotland

6 Nations

Italy 27 - 29 Scotland
Ireland 28 - 8 Scotland
Scotland 25 - 13 England
Scotland 32 - 26 France
Wales 34 - 7 Scotland

AIs

Scotland 53 - 24 Australia
Scotland 17 - 22 New Zealand
Scotland 44 - 38 Samoa

Points for - 336

Points against - 262

Summary

Well it is probably fair to say this has been one of the most memorable seasons in recent times! Some stand out wins (England, France, Australia), some incredible performances (those three plus NZ), combined with a harrowing defeat (Wales) and an embarrassing lesson that you can’t put a bunch of kids out in international rugby and expect to win (USA).

All in all we have seen a lot of attacking rugby, some great tries, although some dodgy defence at times. Scotland have a reputation for bad defence, which has been true at times, but this season we scored 74 points more than we conceded – as long we keep that up we should be OK….

Townsend will have learnt a hell of a lot from his first season in charge. Personally I would like to see us tighten up our defence, even if that means limiting our attacking ambitions slightly (but only slightly). There’s lots fo look forward to next season with a world cup carrot at the end of the stick.

End of season awards

Player of the season
Forward of the season
Back of the season
Young player of the season
Debut of the season
‘Must do better’ award

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland end of season summary and awards - Page 6 Empty Re: Scotland end of season summary and awards

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Aug 2018, 9:20 pm

Don't knock the Hebrides, if you live in Newcastle or Glasgow it must be bloody heaven there. For one, your life expectancy isn't severely reduced by simply going for a walk.

I've just spent the weekend in Forres. Thought you should all know.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Scotland end of season summary and awards - Page 6 Empty Re: Scotland end of season summary and awards

Post by George Carlin Tue 14 Aug 2018, 9:55 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Don't knock the Hebrides, if you live in Newcastle or Glasgow it must be bloody heaven there.

For one, your life expectancy isn't severely reduced by simply going for a walk.
Really?
Scotland end of season summary and awards - Page 6 3186926120_a9abc0a215
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 14 Aug 2018, 10:23 am

Going about the Hebrides is an amazing experience (as long as its not tourist season - Mid-May is your best bet)

Spent 5 weeks in a tent in Mull, admittedly for uni rather than holidays, but it was absolutely stunning. Also the pub at Craignure did a bucket of mussels and a pint for a tenner which, as a starving student, was braw

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 14 Aug 2018, 3:33 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Don't knock the Hebrides, if you live in Newcastle or Glasgow it must be bloody heaven there.

For one, your life expectancy isn't severely reduced by simply going for a walk.
Really?

Is that Ryan Wilson in a stiff breeze?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 14 Aug 2018, 3:43 pm

No it's Peter Horne on the Costa Del Samoa.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 14 Aug 2018, 4:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Really?

No, it's my chances of seeing my stones again.

On that point, bearing in mind they were wagered on Edinburgh qualifying for Europe in 2015 or 16, now that the Luvvies actually have qualified is there any chance the aforementioned mineral deposits could be found?
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 15 Aug 2018, 9:55 am

IanBru wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Really?

No, it's my chances of seeing my stones again.

On that point, bearing in mind they were wagered on Edinburgh qualifying for Europe in 2015 or 16, now that the Luvvies actually have qualified is there any chance the aforementioned mineral deposits could be found?

Sure, I know where they are! I regularly nail them to a mast when I believe something will come to fruition.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:23 am

I was in Seil last month and it was positively beaming with sunshine!

I love the Hebrides, and the fish & chips there are sublime (especially when it's sublime temperatures outside.)

Nothing wrong with a bit of a breeze and drizzle.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 20 Aug 2018, 8:57 am

Tramptastic wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:That current title goes to the end of The Dark Materials series so if it's worse than that I'll be a broken man!

Prepare to be broken

good luck Hug

Just finished Dark Tower 6. I was a little disappointed with this one – it moved the story on a lot but was probably my least favourite of the series. Too much Mia and Susannah and their internal (literally) power struggle! Gas station shoutout was good and the Steven King bit was bonkers (without fully understanding what the hell was going on) but I got to the end and just felt a bit ’meh’.

Going to take a break and read something else before embarking on the final one!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 20 Aug 2018, 5:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:That current title goes to the end of The Dark Materials series so if it's worse than that I'll be a broken man!

Prepare to be broken

good luck Hug

Just finished Dark Tower 6. I was a little disappointed with this one – it moved the story on a lot but was probably my least favourite of the series. Too much Mia and Susannah and their internal (literally) power struggle! Gas station shoutout was good and the Steven King bit was bonkers (without fully understanding what the hell was going on) but I got to the end and just felt a bit ’meh’.

Going to take a break and read something else before embarking on the final one!

Yeh i wonder which point in his alcoholism Stephen King was at when he decided to lump himself in to the narrative?

Something light hearted and light weighted as a break book I hope? Time for some Pratchett?

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 20 Aug 2018, 5:24 pm

Did anyone else see the new Scotland strip today?

http://scottishrugby.org/news/18/08/17/next-seasons-scotland-kit-unveiled

Rather fetching purple panels!

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 20 Aug 2018, 5:32 pm

I quite like the new strips apart from the stupid vertical stripes coming down from the neck.

Tramptastic - I'm moving on to the latest Rivers of London book, which I've only recently found out was released! OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 21 Aug 2018, 8:02 am

Tramptastic wrote:Did anyone else see the new Scotland strip today?

http://scottishrugby.org/news/18/08/17/next-seasons-scotland-kit-unveiled

Rather fetching purple panels!
The neck is very 'nightclub' but these are nice enough. 

That grey one is going to be seriously unforgiving for those carrying a few pounds around the waist...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:55 am

The strip is fine other than the colour of said strips!

They look like the colour has ran in them to produce a horrible mauve colour! When not jsut stick with the deep purple that is elsewhere on the shirt?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 23 Aug 2018, 6:34 am

The Edinburgh home strip is really good. 

The Weegie one is a bit of a shotgun wedding. Was it really not possible for the good people at SP Energy Networks to come up with an alternative logo for the shirt front which in some way was not a screaming colour mismatch with sky blue tartan?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:50 am

The Glasgow strip looks like something you would get in a Princes Street tat shop - the tartan front panel with the big green logo just looks awful.

The away strip isn't too bad but again the logo just doesn't fit in at all!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 24 Aug 2018, 3:59 pm

It's clear that Glasgow blew the budget on new players rather than designing a decent strip. Oh, wait....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 18 Sep 2018, 11:21 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45548491

Interesting.. no.8 is a position that would certainly benefit from a bit more competition. Did anyone else know he was SQ?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Sep 2018, 11:58 am

We've just talked about him on the ongoing banter thread

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 19 Sep 2018, 3:53 am

bsando wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45548491

Interesting.. no.8 is a position that would certainly benefit from a bit more competition. Did anyone else know he was SQ?

I just read it, and nah I didn't know myself. I think he (Thomson) was signed mainly as a 6, but can cover lock and no.8. He's looked good so far and his playing stats reflect that.

I believe I also read on here that Johnny McNichol was Scottish qualified? Although I'm hoping he opts for Wales on residency (I think it's next year he's eligible). Pivac is the Wales coach then, his current Scarlets coach. McNichol has turned into an awesome back 3 player and could be what we've been missing in that area lately.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 20 Sep 2018, 8:57 pm

This is what I'd like to see during AIs:

1 - Dell
2 - McInally (c)
3 - Nel
4 - Gilchrist
5 - Gray
6 - Wilson
7 - Watson
8 - Bradbury

9 - Horne
10 - Russell
11 - Seymour
12 - Dunbar
13 - Jones
14 - Kinghorn
15 - Hogg

16 - Brown
17 - Bhatti
18 - Berghan
19 - Toolis
20 - Denton
21 - Laidlaw
22 - Horne
23 - Maitland

24 - Turner
25 - Allan
26 - McCallum
27 - Cummings
28 - Ritchie
29 - Hamilton
30 - Ashe
31 - Price
32 - Hastings
33 - Scott
34 - Fife

Injured: Marfo, Fagerson, Gray, Barclay, Taylor, Bennett
Wildcards: Sutherland, Carmichael, Hoyland, Graham

Real issue that non of the SQs LHs are starting.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Sep 2018, 8:58 pm

Hogg's been ruled out of the AIs unfortunately.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 20 Sep 2018, 9:05 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hogg's been ruled out of the AIs unfortunately.
That f**k**g sucks.

Kinghorn to fullback and Maitland on the other wing.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 22 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

reallybored wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Hogg's been ruled out of the AIs unfortunately.
That f**k**g sucks.

Kinghorn to fullback and Maitland on the other wing.
I would also be fine with Maitland at full back and Seymour/Visser/Barry on the wings. It's annoying that Duncan Taylor is also out as he can do a very serviceable job at full back.

Seems a shame not to give Kinghorn the chance though because he's started the season well.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Mon 24 Sep 2018, 2:04 pm

GC, I'm pretty sure that Visser has hung up his international boots?

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 24 Sep 2018, 2:58 pm

Remember GC, Toonie took his much vaunted "incremental improvement through open and honest discussion and agreed target setting" approach from Scotstoun to Murrayfield.

"So Tim, are we agreed that you are a wonderful finisher? Yes? But if you want to be a fully functioning, valued member of the team you need to be completing at least two tackles per match? No Tim, match not season, match. But it's incremental gains we're looking for; let's start with two attempts per match. Hello, Mrs Visser. Yes it's me. Aye fainted, again. Can you come and take him home again? No we won't be needing him in the autumn. Or in the spring. Actually why don't you book a nice wee holiday next September, anywhere in the northern hemisphere should be fine."

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 24 Sep 2018, 3:07 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:GC, I'm pretty sure that Visser has hung up his international boots?
picard true dat
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 24 Sep 2018, 3:08 pm

He can't even get in the quins team just now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Mon 24 Sep 2018, 8:00 pm

Good to see Duncan Weir playing well in the highlights tonight, and he spoke well too after the match. Nice to see him enjoying his rugby.
Denton got over the try line, but didn't look particularly inspiring, and Josh Strauss didn't seem prevalent, although Sale seem to be a pot of poison at the moment.
Sean Maitland looked in good shape though, with a nice assist and well taken try.
So, a couple of positives to look at after the recent injuries and dismal results on Saturday. Finn also appears to be doing well, so fingers crossed we have a positive AI series.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 25 Sep 2018, 10:06 am

Anglobraveheart wrote:Good to see Duncan Weir playing well in the highlights tonight, and he spoke well too after the match. Nice to see him enjoying his rugby.
Denton got over the try line, but didn't look particularly inspiring, and Josh Strauss didn't seem prevalent, although Sale seem to be a pot of poison at the moment.
Sean Maitland looked in good shape though, with a nice assist and well taken try.
So, a couple of positives to look at after the recent injuries and dismal results on Saturday. Finn also appears to be doing well, so fingers crossed we have a positive AI series.

Finn Russell was instrumental in all 3 of their try's at the weekend and the Castres defence looked a bit puzzled at how they managed to let Zebo and Vakatawa seemingly score so easily. I'm really excited about how he's developing at Racing 92. I think he is learning to control important aspects of his game whilst not sacrificing the creative aspects that make him a class above any other Scottish fly half (Hastings is catching up big time though!). As it stands 1) Russell, 2) Hastings and 3) Weir or Horne IMO. Weir seems very happy at Worcester and was niceto see him passing a lot of credit to Hill who scored 2 as well.

If it's true about Thomson we could well have him packing in the back row alongside Watson and Denton or Bradbury this Autumn. I think his size and handling skills could be very useful at 8. Great to have a player who can slip in at lock as well if an injury should occur and his height would certainly be useful at lineout time. I'm speculating as I know very little about him but interesting none the less.

Has anyone any injury updates on Richie Gray? Would be good to see him back for Toulouse soon if he's close to being fit.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6