The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic's greatest triumph

3 posters

Go down

Djokovic's greatest triumph Empty Djokovic's greatest triumph

Post by LuvSports! Tue 17 Jul 2018 - 19:23

I honestly believe this one!

Please give it a read.

The hyperlinks I put in there have not come through but the serve and return bits are true!

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/07/17/wimbledon-novak-djokovics-greatest-triumph/

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Djokovic's greatest triumph Empty Re: Djokovic's greatest triumph

Post by No name Bertie Wed 18 Jul 2018 - 8:51

In my view it was not Djokovic's greatest triumph and not his greatest by a long shot. I seem to recall him being match point down in a US Open semi-final against Federer, winning it then coming back the next day to beat Nadal in another marathon. I also seem to recall him doing something similar at an Australian Open beating Murray in a see-saw epic semi-final then doing the same against an even more determined Nadal in the final. I recall many many matches where Djokovic looked dead and buried in certain points of the match and then somehow coming back to win. And I don't think he was favorite in many of the matches - at least before having exerted a form of dominance in particular over Nadal (but it was never easy).

So what to call his Wimbledon 2018 victory? I am not sure. I would like to know what he himself says about it and what others in the profession say about it.

I would say he took the opportunity to win it. It was one of his most surprising wins. I am still not sure how he did it. But overall I would say the level of the competition is down than in the recent past. The younger generation haven't stepped up - the older generation are just physically declining. Murray is not back from injury and Wawrinka seems to be a shadow of what he once was. Perhaps for Djokovic it will be the start of a new form of grand slam winning ways. But I didn't see the "old Djokovic" - I saw something resembling it but much down on physicality.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 18 Jul 2018 - 9:07

I haven't yet read an article detailing Roger Federer's QF loss to Anderson - what it means, if anything to Federer's future likelihood of winning slams.  It came sort of suddenly - Federer had a brilliant first set, continued this into the second set where Anderson provided more of an opposition. But Federer lost from 2 sets to love up and there was an indication that this was something happening with Federer (running out of gas?) rather than brilliance from Anderson. Anderson took the opportunities Federer provided him I suspect.

Nadal did really well at Wimbledon - but his past performances suggest he is well down from his peak winning Wimbledon days - and is somehow compensating against certain physical issues concerning his knees and took the advantage of the hot conditions.  I expect Nadal to pose a far greater danger at the US Open 2018.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 18 Jul 2018 - 19:18

Perhaps the title should have been: Djokovic's Most Satisfying Triumph. He's probably enjoyed this one more than most and possibly more than the first one (back in 08) and more than the French to complete the career Slam in 2016.
The reason for the satisfaction would be his return after mental and physical problems and for the sheer unexpectedness of his victory. He knew he was likely to meet either delpo or Rafa and possibly Rog in the final. He may have been helped by playing Rafa under the roof, but the Spaniard was in great form and it took a fine display to see him off.
The comeback victories are the sweetest and the ones later in a career are sometimes the best.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 18 Jul 2018 - 20:37

Fair point SirFred. I don't do the headlines btw Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 18 Jul 2018 - 22:14

sirfredperry wrote:Perhaps the title should have been: Djokovic's Most Satisfying Triumph. He's probably enjoyed this one more than most and possibly more than the first one (back in 08) and more than the French to complete the career Slam in 2016 ...  
Again I can't agree with this - Djokovic struggled mightily hard to topple Federer and Nadal - who were clearly "all time greats" of the Sport.   That breaking through was a mighty mighty struggle and he had Federer, Nadal, Murray to face in the semi-finals and finals.

What happened to Djokovic at Wimbledon 2018 and the period following French Open 2016 - just seems like a completely new chapter in Djokovic's career and life.  It is a third or fourth chapter.  As yet I would say his form is nowhere near his 2011 - mid-2016 period.  I would say his 2011-mid-2016 period was his most satisfying and greatest periods.  In general he always had to put a huge effort into his wins - especially in overcoming Nadal - & Federer and Murray generally gave him problems.

When Djokovic won Wimbledon 2018 and gave his victory speech I had the impression that he realised he wasn't as good as his former self - yet he had found a way to win the tournament and was pleased that his son was there to witness it.  

With regard to journalistic articles - the most important thing is that it is reasonable with no obvious factual mistakes.  I prefer the ones which contains quotes from experts and the sports people themselves (yes always more effort and requires being in the loop).  The current article I see as "stimulating a discussion" type of article.  It is committed to generating a particular and clear argument - that can be agreed with or disputed - and it is the latter that creates the interest.  For magazine editors they are only interested in articles that stimulate interest but no law-suits. Smile
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 19 Jul 2018 - 1:25

Thanks Bertie! Stay tuned for one with quotes from "a famous person" in my next piece. Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down