The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales RWC 2019 Thread

+38
lostinwales
Gooseberry
tigertattie
formerly known as Sam
Soul Requiem
Rinsure
robbo277
majesticimperialman
Hoonercat
Poorfour
bluestonevedder
bsando
Yoda
Maine man
TightHEAD
Collapse2005
Rugby Fan
EnglishReign
Taylorman
quinsforever
BigTrevsbigmac
carpet baboon
Presuming Ed
Cyril
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
chris_501
munkian
No9
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
LondonTiger
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
maestegmafia
SecretFly
LordDowlais
Pie
42 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 7 Empty Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by Guest Mon 26 Nov 2018, 1:41 am

First topic message reminder :

WALES’ 2019 RWC SQUAD:

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Last edited by miaow on Mon 25 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 Thread

Post by maestegmafia Fri 24 May 2019, 11:46 am

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BamBam wrote:Its a global deal agreed by World Rugby, slightly disingenuous of that article to paint it out to be a success for the WRU

It’s great news for all nations, giving everyone a level playing field. If the PRL are happy that let’s a hell of a lot of countries have access to their star players which should improve the RWC.

It’s good news all round for everyone.

It is good news all round. Saves SRU some money as they were having to pay extra insurance to get Blade Thompson's (sp?) release. That LNR have signed up is probably more beneficial to the game as the players released there will in general be to countries who would have struggled to pay to insure their players and gain their release.

The more that can be done to prevent rugby’s arms race the better

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 24 May 2019, 11:48 am

maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Finally an agreement with English clubs to release welsh players when the WRU request them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-full-access-england-based-16323587

Should be noted this affects all clubs who have foreign internationals on their books. 

Glad it has been resolved as, to me anyway, it seemed unfair for clubs to carry the risk when players were injured while with their country.

It was very unfair and an infuriatingly pedantic situation.

Must be a huge relief for the players too.

Disagree that it was pedantry by the clubs. The players are not covered by their club insurance when with the national team. That wealthier unions were refusing to insure their players was for me the issue. It is easy to blame PRL/LNR as money grabbing barstewards (and they are) but even the worst money-grabbing bar-steward can occasionally hold the moral high ground.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 24 May 2019, 11:50 am

Any way this discussion is better for another thread. Lets return to celebrating Wales strength in depth. Good luck in the WC, I hope that you can get to the final (but lose to us of course)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 24 May 2019, 12:37 pm

It’s going to be a very tough RWC no matter which team you support. Hopefully decisions like the one announced by WR will mean even the supposed minnows can get the best out of their players

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sat 25 May 2019, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 25 May 2019, 5:56 am

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Finally an agreement with English clubs to release welsh players when the WRU request them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-full-access-england-based-16323587

Should be noted this affects all clubs who have foreign internationals on their books. 

Glad it has been resolved as, to me anyway, it seemed unfair for clubs to carry the risk when players were injured while with their country.

It was very unfair and an infuriatingly pedantic situation.

Must be a huge relief for the players too.

Disagree that it was pedantry by the clubs. The players are not covered by their club insurance when with the national team. That wealthier unions were refusing to insure their players was for me the issue. It is easy to blame PRL/LNR as money grabbing barstewards (and they are) but even the worst money-grabbing bar-steward can occasionally hold the moral high ground.

Absolutely right LT. The difference now is that WR have doubled the compensation for those players affected.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat 25 May 2019, 9:16 pm

LT Is of course correct. Clubs did the right thing by their players and shareholders. Increasingly we're seeing. agreed o player that due to the demand of the game is laying fewer club and more international fixtures, the governing bodies have to step up.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 26 May 2019, 7:24 am

So from what I have read the squad should be starting to assemble at the vale next week, further players to join in a few weeks. First trip is to the Swiss Alps for some intense conditioning work

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Jun 2019, 1:04 pm

Shame Williams delivered the Webb Ellis trophy to Japan this week and in the press conference discussed Wales back three, an area of strength where some tough calls have to be made, so who makes the starting positions and who will be on the bench?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/shane-williams-tells-wales-drop-16410852

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 12 Jun 2019, 3:38 pm

The back 3 is done; Adams, North, Williams. Amos, Halfpenny, Anscome, and potentially Patchell as cover. Holmes might be in the mix too but it should be Owen Lane.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 12 Jun 2019, 4:46 pm

I think Owen Lane will do well in camp, he will definitely get capped in the pre RWC matches. Hopefully he will make his case unanswerable

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat 15 Jun 2019, 4:41 am

Fiji's squad is pretty impressive, they'll fancy the heat and humidity. I hear they have no defense coach against potentially the best defense in the world. But if one team couldn't give a Fig about 'defense' its Fiji. Gulp.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sat 15 Jun 2019, 4:43 am

Georgia will be equally tough. I think Aus play Fiji first and we play them last. Wales need to win this group and if they do I expect them to go all the way to Final barring injuries to AWJ and Biggar either ro which represent a huge tactical and strategic loss.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 17 Jun 2019, 11:38 am

My biggest worry is injury, we were decimated by bad luck last time missing almost an entire back line. Rhys Webb, Halfpenny, JD2, Liam Williams, Hallam Amos, Cory Allen, Scott Williams. That probably made the difference of us not reaching the semi final again.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 18 Jun 2019, 4:04 am

maestegmafia wrote:My biggest worry is injury, we were decimated by bad luck last time missing almost an entire back line. Rhys Webb, Halfpenny, JD2, Liam Williams, Hallam Amos, Cory Allen, Scott Williams. That probably made the difference of us not reaching the semi final again.

Big difference is you have 2/3 that are justifiably first choice in every position that can do the job:

Anscombe/Biggar
North Adams Amos
Scott W/Parkes
JD2/Watkin
Half/Williams
Half/Wiliams/Anscombe/Amos

11 players to cover 6 slots. id like to see another 10 step up to the plate before the finals

And then there's players like Roberts, Staff Evans and Holmes that could slot in if required

That just wasn't available in 2015

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 18 Jun 2019, 6:55 am

Pie wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:My biggest worry is injury, we were decimated by bad luck last time missing almost an entire back line. Rhys Webb, Halfpenny, JD2, Liam Williams, Hallam Amos, Cory Allen, Scott Williams. That probably made the difference of us not reaching the semi final again.

Big difference is you have 2/3 that are justifiably first choice in every position that can do the job:

Anscombe/Biggar
North Adams Amos
Scott W/Parkes
JD2/Watkin
Half/Williams
Half/Wiliams/Anscombe/Amos

11 players to cover 6 slots. id like to see another 10 step up to the plate before the finals

And then there's players like Roberts, Staff Evans and Holmes that could slot in if required

That just wasn't available in 2015

I agree we are in a much better place.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 23 Jun 2019, 9:18 pm

Apparently pre-RWC boot camp has been a tough start for the lads...!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/first-pictures-inside-wales-brutal-16472729

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 03 Jul 2019, 12:39 pm

Wales' fixtures in Pool D

Wales v Georgia - Monday, September 23 in Toyota City

Australia v Wales - Sunday, September 29, in Tokyo

Wales v Fiji - Wednesday, October 9, in Oita

Wales v Uruguay - Sunday, October 13, in Kumamoto City

Who are in the other pools?

Pool A: Ireland; Scotland; Japan; Russia; Samoa.

Pool B: New Zealand; South Africa; Italy; Namibia; Canada.

Pool C: England; France: Argentina; USA; Tonga.

What looks to be the pool decider with the Wallabies could have major consequences on Wales' route for the rest of the tournament.

If Wales beat Australia and finish top of Pool D, the likelihood is they will face France or Argentina in the quarter-finals.

Win that, and it looks as though a semi-final with the winners of Ireland v South Africa would be on the cards, with the two sides looking destined to meet in the last eight, assuming the Boks don't stun the All Blacks in the early stages.

If Wales come second in the Pool stages...

A loss to the Wallabies would see Wales likely finish second in the group, meaning a date with Eddie Jones' England would be likely.

The Red Rose route would also see a likely semi-final with the All Blacks, should they beat England.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 04 Jul 2019, 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 03 Jul 2019, 12:52 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Wales' fixtures in Pool D

Wales v Georgia - Monday, September 23 in Toyota City

Australia v Wales - Sunday, September 29, in Tokyo

Wales v Fiji - Wednesday, October 9, in Oita

Wales v Uruguay - Sunday, October 13, in Kumamoto City

Who are in the other pools?

Pool A: Ireland; Scotland; Japan; Russia; Samoa.

Pool B: New Zealand; South Africa; Italy; Namibia; Canada.

Pool C: England; France: Argentina; USA; Tonga.

What looks to be the pool decider with the Wallabies could have major consequences on Wales' route for the rest of the tournament.

If Wales beat Australia and finish top of Pool D, the likelihood is they will face France or Argentina in the quarter-finals.

Win that, and it looks as though a semi-final with the winners of Ireland v South Africa would be on the cards, with the two sides looking destined to meet in the last eight, assuming the Boks don't stun the All Blacks in the early stages.

If Wales come second in the Pool stages...

A loss to the Wallabies would see Wales likely finish second in the group, meaning a date with Eddie Jones' England would be likely.

The Red Rose route would also see a likely semi-final with the All Blacks, should they beat England.

The games are set up quite nicely for us really. A winnable, but very challenging game against Georgia before the big one. Then we will certainly be battle hardened for the Fiji fixture (missed off). Hopefully, we will have qualified and then we have the option to rest players for the Uruguay games, if Gatland feels the need to.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 03 Jul 2019, 2:14 pm

Let’s hope we can top the pool. The only team we haven’t beaten in the last few years is the ABs...! If we can delay that until the final I would be happy.

Be interesting to see how the summers tests go.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 03 Jul 2019, 4:43 pm

Yeah I don't know why the Fiji game has been missed off. I have a horrible feeling about the Fiji game.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 03 Jul 2019, 6:19 pm

Yes, having seen their extended squad, their coach has a hard job trimming that squad down. Their outside backs alone are all class.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Thu 04 Jul 2019, 2:48 am

RiscaGame wrote:Yes, having seen their extended squad, their coach has a hard job trimming that squad down. Their outside backs alone are all class.

Run 'em around in a tight game their forwards can't keep it together.

Opposite true of Georgia who will test us up front but cant live with Tier 1 outside 10. It may be close v Fiji but I expect Gatland will play full strength side against everyone but Uruguayaya.

With only a 6 day turnaround after Georgia before the big one then I expect to see essentially the same starting XV for both but he'll get bench on early to rest key starters before Aus.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Jul 2019, 6:35 am

We could see huge improvements in the Aussies this summer in the RC, then again maybe not???? Not really sure what’s going on there and have a feeling that Cheika isn’t working out so well.

Is James O’Connor has returned but he has hardly been mentioned whilst he’s been at Sale. They will likely be missing their two truly world class players Folau and Pocock. But as we saw in the JRWC there is a bundle of young talent coming through.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 04 Jul 2019, 7:45 am

Pie wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Yes, having seen their extended squad, their coach has a hard job trimming that squad down. Their outside backs alone are all class.

Opposite true of Georgia who will test us up front but cant live with Tier 1 outside 10. It may be close v Fiji but I expect Gatland will play full strength side against everyone but Uruguayaya.

With only a 6 day turnaround after Georgia before the big one then I expect to see essentially the same starting XV for both but he'll get bench on early to rest key starters before Aus.  

Yeah, I think he has said there will only really be changes for Uruguay. I agree with playing Fiji like that. I am sure Gatland will play it very tight.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Jul 2019, 11:57 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Pie wrote:

Yeah, I think he has said there will only really be changes for Uruguay. I agree with playing Fiji like that. I am sure Gatland will play it very tight.

No need to take risks

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Jul 2019, 2:38 am

Oz have a new panel that have just thrown a couple of Cheika pets out. Phipps and Hanigan seemed undroppable despite consistent poor form. Toomua has made the squad after apparent good form in the NH. Trouble is, he’s not showing it in SRugby, but we expect that. JOC wasn’t selected but I hope he goes. I’d like to see some of that early potential which was massive.
10 is a huge problem. Literally none of Foley, Christian LL, Quade, not Toomua is lighting up the stage, so Foley again gets to keep his position.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 05 Jul 2019, 6:35 am

Taylorman wrote:Oz have a new panel that have just thrown a couple of Cheika pets out. Phipps and Hanigan seemed undroppable despite consistent poor form. Toomua has made the squad after apparent good form in the NH. Trouble is, he’s not showing it in SRugby, but we expect that. JOC wasn’t selected but I hope he goes. I’d like to see some of that early potential which was massive.
10 is a huge problem. Literally none of Foley, Christian LL, Quade, not Toomua is lighting up the stage, so Foley again gets to keep his position.

I haven’t heard any ravings about the great form of the Aussie premiership players this season. Certainly JOC isn’t living up to his hype. If he was on form we would hear about it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 05 Jul 2019, 9:37 am

Anyone know the latest on the injured players?

Shingler, Jenkins and Faletau

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 05 Jul 2019, 10:01 am

Taylorman wrote:Oz have a new panel that have just thrown a couple of Cheika pets out. Phipps and Hanigan seemed undroppable despite consistent poor form. Toomua has made the squad after apparent good form in the NH. Trouble is, he’s not showing it in SRugby, but we expect that. JOC wasn’t selected but I hope he goes. I’d like to see some of that early potential which was massive.

Toomua was in good form 2017/18 which got him back into the Aussie Squad for 2018 (having agreed to terminate his contract with Leicester 1 year early). In 2018/19 he was dialling in his performances so no his NH form was not good. His SR form has been better.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 05 Jul 2019, 1:45 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Anyone know the latest on the injured players?

Shingler, Jenkins and Faletau

Shingler has been in camp training since their first meet, Faletau not so far behind. I haven’t heard of anything with Jenkins but with that type of injury it’s a bad idea to have him back in the team right now. I guess he would have only just resumed gym training. We may as well take another 7 from the pile, i mean we do have a few (the one with possibly the greatest potential not even there due to injury).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Fri 05 Jul 2019, 4:28 pm

Jenkins won't make it unless required as injury replacement if fit. My money is on Shingler, im afraid TF may just be a little too late with recovery

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 05 Jul 2019, 8:10 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Toomua was in good form 2017/18 which got him back into the Aussie Squad for 2018 (having agreed to terminate his contract with Leicester 1 year early). In 2018/19 he was dialling in his performances so no his NH form was not good. His SR form has been better.

better? Geez, its all bad then. Hasnt done a lot this year. Started well, then plateaued.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 06 Jul 2019, 7:25 am

Pie wrote:Jenkins won't make it unless required as injury replacement if fit. My money is on Shingler, im afraid TF may just be a little too late with recovery

Missing Faletau would be a huge shame but it is his well being that is paramount. Very unfortunate and complicated injury apparently.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 06 Jul 2019, 3:31 pm

Faletau has joined up with the welsh squad...

“It is thought he's not yet doing contact work, but it will be a welcome sight for Wales coach Warren Gatland to see him training with the main group.

If he can return to full fitness in enough time, he would be a shoo-in for Gatland's Rugby World Cup squad.”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/taulupe-faletau-provides-wales-huge-16542239

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Sun 07 Jul 2019, 2:37 am

A fit and firing TF would b awesome im just not sure he will make it and if his arm is like his cousins the are in trouble. That said Moriraty an Navidi are superb understudies

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Jul 2019, 10:21 am

Is this now the Wales world cup thread ? Where we can discuss all things world cup and Wales ? Or do we start a new one like everybody else has ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 17 Jul 2019, 12:52 pm

Ill change the title...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Jul 2019, 2:39 pm

Epic, we can now talk about our opponents and the what not.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 17 Jul 2019, 3:06 pm

Well Fiji look strong, certainly against the Maoris

https://youtu.be/BEqWYDeults

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Jul 2019, 3:09 pm

I wrote this on the match thread:-

Yes, I actually watched this game, and whilst Fiji played some stunning rugby, their set pieces left a lot to be desired, which is where they are let down a lot of the time.

Yes they scored some beautiful tries, yes they look very easy on they eye with the ball in hand, but they seemed to ebb off towards the end of the game, and their scrum was under a lot pressure, as were their line outs, and this was against a side, where usually I recognise some of the players, but this Maori side was totally alien to me.

Not to take anything away from Fiji though, great result for them.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Jul 2019, 3:10 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/how-much-problem-fiji-wales-16589056

How much of a problem are Fiji? Wales' potentially huge Rugby World Cup banana skin examined
Fiji boost perhaps the strongest squad in their history and are fresh from beating France and New Zealand Maori

Fiji’s 27-10 triumph over New Zealand Maori should have grabbed the attention of the Wales camp last weekend.

Warren Gatland's side will once again face Fiji at the Rugby World Cup later this year and the men in red won't be taking them lightly.

"We’ve seen Fiji beat France in France and they are an ever improving side," acknowledged hooker Ken Owens.

"Like you see at every World Cup when the South Sea Island sides get an extended period of time together, they’re very dangerous.

"We can’t just say all we need to do is beat Australia because we might end up losing the other games. We have to go game by game and get the results."

Fiji scored some dazzling tries in Suva on Saturday to earn the approval of commentator Tony Johnson, the hugely experienced and respected New Zealand broadcaster.

“The sort of rugby that only Fiji can play,” he purred, as John McKee's team upset the Maori All Blacks for the first time since 1957.

It was just the second defeat the Maori have suffered in the past 16 years – Gatland's Lions were their other conquerors in 2017.

Fiji face the Maori on Kiwi soil in a rematch in Rotorua this Saturday with coach McKee set to experiment with new combinations after making 11 changes to his 26-strong squad and leaving out stars Josua Tuisova, Viliame Mata, Leone Nakarawa, Ben Volavola and Levani Botia.

But, and irrespective of the outcome of that game, scratch below the surface and people shouldn’t be surprised by Fiji’s victory over the Maori or the threat they pose.

Here’s why...

THEIR RECORD SINCE THE 2015 WORLD CUP

Fiji have won 13 of their 21 fixtures and been Pacific Nations Cup champions for the last four years.

Their heaviest defeats during that time have come against England, Australia and Scotland.

But they showed signs they were on the right road by pushing Ireland all the way in Dublin in November 2017 before losing 23-20.

THEY ENDED THE AUTUMN CAMPAIGN ON A HIGH

A win over Uruguay at Hartpury set them up to produce the shock of last November’s Test campaign with a deserved 21-14 triumph over France in Paris.

Just eight of those players that started at the Stade de France faced the Maori, highlighting shrewd operator McKee is building strength in depth for the World Cup.

IT’S PERHAPS THE STRONGEST SQUAD IN FIJI’S HISTORY

Just nine of the 42-strong squad assembled by McKee play at home with the other 33 on the books of teams in France, England or New Zealand.

And we’re not talking about any old clubs but the likes of Clermont Auvergne, La Rochelle, Toulon, Racing 92, Stade Francais, Leicester Tigers, Edinburgh and Super Rugby outfit Highlanders.

Lock Nakarawa. wings Tuisova, Filipo Nakosi and Eroni Sau, centre Botia, wing or centre Waisea Nayacalevu and flanker captain Dominiko Waqaniburotu are French Top 14 stars while powerhouse No.8 Bill Mata was a big-hitter in the Champions Cup last season.

HARD WORK IS KEY TO ATTAINING WORLD CUP GOAL

McKee is adamant Fiji can reach the quarter-finals of the global showpiece at the expense of Wales or Australia.

The squad he has assembled seems to have bought into the goal, working on improving their fitness – it has often been inferior to leading nations in the past – and putting in the hard hours.

“Talent is one thing but the outcome of our preparations will depend on how hard we work,” stressed McKee.

“It’s how everyone works together to make sure as we get closer to leaving for Japan we’re the best prepared team to leave our shores.”

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Wed 17 Jul 2019, 3:51 pm

I wouldn't take much from this game. Maori defense was almost absent. Wales will find Fiji tough but set piece and 10 man rugby will win the day coupled with aggressive defense

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Jul 2019, 8:49 am

I don’t think you can ever write off that Fiji can win almost any game they play in. If they get their counter attack game going, we know they can score from anywhere.

But as you guys say, play a structured game and wales should definitely have an advantage. Unfortunately in the past a few times wales have tried to out Fiji fiji

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Jul 2019, 8:57 am

I hate the term 'banana skin' to describe teams like Fiji. Seems a bit disrespectful, especially when they're coming off the back of some good wins. They're a bl**dy good team when they click. I'm sure Wales wouldn't like to be referred to as a banana skin when playing teams ranked above us!

Is everyone below the All Blacks a banana skin for them?

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Jul 2019, 9:56 am

The Oracle wrote:I'm sure Wales wouldn't like to be referred to as a banana skin when playing teams ranked above us!

I'm fine with that. This means the only side we are a banana skin for are the All Blacks. Very Happy

One player to really watch from Fiji though is their full back, he is absolutely electric with ball in hand.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 18 Jul 2019, 10:05 am

maestegmafia wrote:I don’t think you can ever write off that Fiji can win almost any game they play in. If they get their counter attack game going, we know they can score from anywhere.

But as you guys say, play a structured game and wales should definitely have an advantage. Unfortunately in the past a few times wales have tried to out Fiji fiji

I'll still be having kittens.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 18 Jul 2019, 10:47 am

The Oracle wrote:
Is everyone below the All Blacks a banana skin for them?

History presumes the answer is 'Yes'. But don't worry, Oracle, the All Blacks don't lose too much sleep about hurting someone else's feelings Cool - and rightly so.
The name of the game is rugby, and the purpose is to win.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Jul 2019, 1:28 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I don’t think you can ever write off that Fiji can win almost any game they play in. If they get their counter attack game going, we know they can score from anywhere.

I'll still be having kittens.

I always do

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 18 Jul 2019, 10:20 pm

Think you'll find a greater resolve with the return Maoris Fiji match, whenever it is, I think its in Rotorua as have been seeing clippings of the sides there this week. First time ever together theyll be wanting to get their defence sorted and combinations working. Dont think Fiji will have it as easy second time around. Softer NZ grounds at this time of the year will bring the sides closer together

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 18 Jul 2019, 11:20 pm

Taylorman wrote:Think you'll find a greater resolve with the return Maoris Fiji match, whenever it is, I think its in Rotorua as have been seeing clippings of the sides there this week. First time ever together theyll be wanting to get their defence sorted and combinations working. Dont think Fiji will have it as easy second time around. Softer NZ grounds at this time of the year will bring the sides closer together

Win or lose it will only make Fiji a tougher team to beat in a few months

They’ve got a great coach in John McKee

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 19 Jul 2019, 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next