The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SIX NATIONS OPENING MATCH - France vs Wales Stade de France - 1st February 2019

+42
chris_501
Scarpia
clivemcl
Yoda
Goosestepper
Maine man
tigertattie
formerly known as Sam
Duty281
king_carlos
Scottrf
EnglishReign
Eejit
lostinwales
Heaf
Presuming Ed
Gooseberry
No 7&1/2
carpet baboon
majesticimperialman
Cyril
alive555
rodders
Fluxy
whocares
BigTrevsbigmac
sensisball
RDW
SecretFly
BamBam
bsando
LondonTiger
TightHEAD
Pie
Luckless Pedestrian
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
Collapse2005
LordDowlais
munkian
robbo277
maestegmafia
46 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

SIX NATIONS OPENING MATCH - France vs Wales Stade de France - 1st February 2019 Empty SIX NATIONS OPENING MATCH - France vs Wales Stade de France - 1st February 2019

Post by maestegmafia Wed 02 Jan 2019, 9:47 am

France: Maxime Medard; Damian Penaud, Wesley Fofana, Romain Ntamack, Yohann Huget; Camille Lopez, Morgan Parra; Jefferson Poirot, Guilhem Guirado, Uini Atonio; Sébastien Vahaamahina, Paul Willemse, Wenceslas Lauret, Arthur Itturia, Louis Picamoles.

Reps: Julien Marchand, Dany Priso, Demba Bamba, Felix Lambey, Gregory Alldritt, Baptiste Serin, Gael Fickou, Geoffrey Doumayrou.

Wales: Liam Williams; George North, Jonathan Davies, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams; Gareth Anscombe, Tomos Williams; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis; Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones; Josh Navidi, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Samson Lee, Cory Hill, Aaron Wainwright, Gareth Davies, Dan Biggar, Owen Watkin.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Wed 30 Jan 2019, 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

SIX NATIONS OPENING MATCH - France vs Wales Stade de France - 1st February 2019 Empty Re: SIX NATIONS OPENING MATCH - France vs Wales Stade de France - 1st February 2019

Post by maestegmafia Wed 02 Jan 2019, 10:57 am

Wales squad to be announced on the 14th of January and the squad to assemble on the 21st team to be announced on the 29th of january.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

SIX NATIONS OPENING MATCH - France vs Wales Stade de France - 1st February 2019 Empty Re: SIX NATIONS OPENING MATCH - France vs Wales Stade de France - 1st February 2019

Post by robbo277 Wed 02 Jan 2019, 3:48 pm

France away is never an easy game, but I'd probably have Wales as marginal favourites for this one. Even if you treat Fiji's historic win as a one-off, the Springboks beat France in Paris in a close game, and Wales should be aiming to match that accomplishment.

The best odds you can get for France are 24/23 and the best odds you can get for Wales are 21/20, showing there is very little in it, although the bookies just favouring France.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jan 2019, 5:18 pm

Wales to scrape this one. Can't see it being a particularly exciting or high quality game of rugby. Wales to be far better at controlling and dictating how and where the game is played. France to look slow and sluggish, but to burst into life one a few occasions.

Wales' kicking will dictate who wins this, both from in hand and off the tee. If they are able to pin France back, make them run up blind alleys, and chip away at lead with 3s, they win the game. France will score one or two good tries, or at least create the chances to. It's whether Wales have enough control to keep the excitement at bay.

Expect it to go down to the wire.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 02 Jan 2019, 9:14 pm

I agree it is going to be a tough fixture. Toulouse and Clermont are playing some great rugby and if France can translate that into the international team this season then we could all be in trouble.

Jacques Brunel is a smart coach, he has been coaching in the six nations a long time, I expect France to be well prepared this year

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 03 Jan 2019, 10:29 am

maestegmafia wrote:I agree it is going to be a tough fixture. Toulouse and Clermont are playing some great rugby and if France can translate that into the international team this season then we could all be in trouble.

Jacques Brunel is a smart coach, he has been coaching in the six nations a long time, I expect France to be well prepared this year

Are there any French players for Toulouse or Clermont though ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 10:51 am

munkian wrote:Are there any French players for Toulouse or Clermont though ?

Out of Toulouse and Clermont Auvergne alone you can make a very decent looking French team.

Falgoux
Kayser
Aldgheri
Iturra
Gallan
Placines
Cancoriet
Madule
Parra
Ramos
Penaud
Fofana
Mermoz
Bonneval
Medard

Plenty of very good French players in Toulon, Stade, Racing, Montpellier etc but I do see your point, it’s a lot of foreign talent like the premiership.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 11:04 am

Like England were doing last year the French teams are often fitting a lock into the 6 shirt to dominate line out. Last weeks top of the table Toulouse vs Clermont Auvergne clash saw locks picked at blindside on both teams.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

If the form of the regions are anything to go by, then we will get thrashed in this game. Have the regions won an away game against any of the Irish or Scottish in the Pro14 lately ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:14 pm

France seem to be building to a strong enough squad and are a harder side to beat now in France. Apart from the last minute loss v Ireland they only lost one game at home last year which was against SA by virtue of an injury time try so I do think they have become hard to beat in France at the very least. They also got wins v England, Fiji, Italy and Argentina there so solid enough record at home.

I think it will be a tough test for Wales.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:23 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:France seem to be building to a strong enough squad and are a harder side to beat now in France. Apart from the last minute loss v Ireland they only lost one game at home last year which was against SA by virtue of an injury time try so I do think they have become hard to beat in France at the very least. They also got wins v England, Fiji, Italy and Argentina there so solid enough record at home.

They famously lost to Fiji at hone. This is the result that seems to be their acilies heel

https://www.autumn-internationals.co.uk/news/fiji-beat-france-21-14-in-paris-319.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 12:39 pm

LordDowlais wrote:If the form of the regions are anything to go by, then we will get thrashed in this game. Have the regions won an away game against any of the Irish or Scottish in the Pro14 lately ?

Ospreys have beaten scarlets and Zebre away

Blues have beaten Dragons Lyon and Scarlets Away

Scarlets only best the Southern Kings away

Dragons haven’t won an away game of any note yet.

By comparison Leinster away have beaten Blues, Connaught, Treviso, Kings, Dragons and Bath...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:08 pm

Yep, the regions are an easy 5 pointer for the top teams in the Pro14. Which is why I worry for Wales playing away in the 6N.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:26 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Yep, the regions are an easy 5 pointer for the top teams in the Pro14. Which is why I worry for Wales playing away in the 6N.

Wrong plus club form has zero impact on the 6 Nations, absolute zero, you are talking out of your harris.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:France seem to be building to a strong enough squad and are a harder side to beat now in France. Apart from the last minute loss v Ireland they only lost one game at home last year which was against SA by virtue of an injury time try so I do think they have become hard to beat in France at the very least. They also got wins v England, Fiji, Italy and Argentina there so solid enough record at home.

They famously lost to Fiji at hone. This is the result that seems to be their acilies heel

https://www.autumn-internationals.co.uk/news/fiji-beat-france-21-14-in-paris-319.html

Ah you are right I missed that one.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:36 pm

munkian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Yep, the regions are an easy 5 pointer for the top teams in the Pro14. Which is why I worry for Wales playing away in the 6N.

Wrong plus club form has zero impact on the 6 Nations, absolute zero, you are talking out of your harris.

I think it does have an effect but maybe not as mich of a negative one as you might imagine.

Thing is despite results, and there have been some appalling ones too, there are many positives. Dragons beating the Ospreys last weekend is a massive improvement on their fifty point loss to Leinster B team. Likewise Ospreys results against Scarlets two weeks ago and fifty point win over Stade are good signs after the big scores Munster and Leinster put on them. They have also had a number of very tight losses this season too while not really playing well.

It’s a mixed bag, the Pro14 is a tougher competition year on year, Wales are definitely behind the Irish teams and Glasgow with regards to development and depth of home grown talent, but are improving.

This opener against France is a good challenge, come through this well and Wales will be in good stead for the championship

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:38 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Ah you are right I missed that one.

Many great nations have lost to Fiji

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:40 pm

munkian wrote:

How am I wrong ? How many games have the Welsh regions won in the league in Ireland and Scotland this season ? How many games have they won away in Europe against decent opposition this season ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:42 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:

How am I wrong ? How many games have the Welsh regions won in the league in Ireland and Scotland this season ? How many games have they won away in Europe against decent opposition this season ?

Not many mate, listed them above. And I believe that the welsh regions will struggle more than than the Irish over the six nations too..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:47 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:

Not many mate, listed them above. And I believe that the welsh regions will struggle more than than the Irish over the six nations too..!

Yep, I think that as well. It's sad times to be a Welsh rugby supporter. Sad

It depresses me a bit, but then you have to tell yourself it's just a game, but I friggin love it, that's my problem. When I see the direction the professional game is going in Wales, my heart sinks. Crying or Very sad

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 1:54 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:

Yep, I think that as well. It's sad times to be a Welsh rugby supporter. Sad

It depresses me a bit, but then you have to tell yourself it's just a game, but I friggin love it, that's my problem. When I see the direction the professional game is going in Wales, my heart sinks. Crying or Very sad

Well I hope that we can extend our winning streak further this six nations. A good start in Paris followed by a trip to Rome where we should put Italy away well. Then England at home, not really sure where they are at the moment but it’s about time we put in a decent performance and took a win.

Murray field could well be tough, if they have managed to beat France in Paris they will be seriously tough to beat up there. Especially if they beat Ireland in Murray field too.

It’s one of the toughest championships I can remember.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 03 Jan 2019, 5:24 pm

I wonder why the Irish provinces might do better than the Welsh pro teams, during the Six Nations.

Their results don’t make a difference. If they do, what difference did they make when we beat Australia for the first time in years? This depth that was being praised just a month ago, has now disappeared, has it?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 03 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

I think the Irish provinces have more home grown depth of a higher ability than the welsh regions and therefor won’t miss their internationals as much.

I hope I am wrong, I would love to see the regions take some wins off those teams higher up in the Pro14

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 05 Jan 2019, 3:48 pm

Adam Beard and Kristan Dacey both injures in the first half Ospreys vs Blues match.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 07 Jan 2019, 5:22 am

maestegmafia wrote:Adam Beard and Kristan Dacey both injures in the first half Ospreys vs Blues match.

Worried about Dacey? I honestly don’t know how he and Turnbull are rated.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 07 Jan 2019, 5:25 am

munkian wrote:

That seems to be the case for us, but there has been times in the past where it has negatively affected team Wales. We have some depth now but the injuries are continuing to pile up big time, and this is the worst year for it to happen; if anything will be our undoing it’ll be this.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 Jan 2019, 6:54 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
munkian wrote:

That seems to be the case for us, but there has been times in the past where it has negatively affected team Wales. We have some depth now but the injuries are continuing to pile up big time, and this is the worst year for it to happen; if anything will be our undoing it’ll be this.

Considering the amount of injuries we had in 2015 this is nothing new to the Wales camp. Let’s just hope that we can see the lads on the sick note list recover quickly and well.

Waiting on the news on Adam Beard, hopefully not too serious.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Jan 2019, 3:13 pm

Big difference between 2015/any other time under Gatland and now is that the depth is genuinely competitive. Partly, that's because we don't have players like Warburton, Faletau, Halfpenny etc. coming through - players who very quickly added value to the team and established themselves as first choice. The competition in the second row, for instance, is intense, but no-one really stands out.

Which isn't a problem. I think that's a good thing - no more picking the likes of Roberts and Lydiate in the hope they'd rediscover form because the replacement is deemed insufficient. It also makes for an honest environment, and I can't help but think the lack of superstars in this current Wales team is why they're performing the way they are at the moment (at least for Wales, rather than the regions).

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 07 Jan 2019, 4:11 pm

Adam Beard has no lasting neck damage. I would assume he might get a rest next two weeks in Europe and he will be fit for the CrossFit games with Team Wales easily.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 Jan 2019, 7:36 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Adam Beard has no lasting neck damage. I would assume he might get a rest next two weeks in Europe and he will be fit for the CrossFit games with Team Wales easily.

That’s good news, I was a bit worried for him.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 07 Jan 2019, 9:07 pm

Unfortunately not such great news for Rhodri Jones who dislocated his shoulder

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 Jan 2019, 9:18 am

Its shocking how many caps Dacey got when Dee was bossing things on a weekly basis.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 08 Jan 2019, 11:24 am

My prediction is that Wales will lose - narrowly - but that no one will go unbeaten in the tournament, so it won't necessarily mean we're out of the running.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 Jan 2019, 12:42 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:My prediction is that Wales will lose - narrowly - but that no one will go unbeaten in the tournament, so it won't necessarily mean we're out of the running.

Certainly doesn’t look like a grand slam would be easy this year.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 Jan 2019, 12:52 pm

Halfpenny looks to be out for France at least so back three is up for grabs.

I'd question North being picked - he's a dirty niggly knobber at the moment and the French love a wind up.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 Jan 2019, 1:15 pm

Williams at fullback for me with North and Adams on the wings Holmes on the bench.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 08 Jan 2019, 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 Jan 2019, 1:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Williams at fullback for me with north and Addams on the wings Holmes on the bench.

No Amos ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 08 Jan 2019, 3:59 pm

Id have Amos on the bench if fit; international experience for what is a crucial game. Id definitely start North, Williams and Adams if fit. If not I think Holmes has to figure assuming the Morgan experiment is over.

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Tue 08 Jan 2019, 4:40 pm

Can only see France winning.

1/2p is a big lose as it weakens the depth of the squad, Maybe a recall for Cuthbert lol.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 08 Jan 2019, 4:48 pm

Pie wrote:Id have Amos on the bench if fit; international experience for what is a crucial game. Id definitely start North, Williams and Adams if fit. If not I think Holmes has to figure assuming the Morgan experiment is over.

Christ I hope so.

It will be a tight game but I'd be surprised if we lose.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 08 Jan 2019, 5:07 pm

TightHEAD wrote:1/2p is a big lose as it weakens the depth of the squad, Maybe a recall for Cuthbert lol.

Or Aled Brew.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 Jan 2019, 6:23 pm

munkian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Williams at fullback for me with north and Addams on the wings Holmes on the bench.

No Amos ?

Such a tough call. On current form I think Holmes is looking better than Amos. Even though Amos is playing very very well at the Dragons, Holmes is consistently scoring, is more often injury free and in absolutely superb form at the moment.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 10 Jan 2019, 11:43 am

France Six Nations squad:
Forwards (17)
Dorian Aldegheri, Gregory Alldritt, Uini Atonio, Demba Bamba, Pierre Bourgarit, Yacouba Camara, Guilhem Guirado (captain), Arthur Iturria, Felix Lambey, Wenceslas Lauret, Bernard Le Roux, Julien Marchand, Louis Picamoles, Jefferson Poirot, Dany Priso, Sebastien Vahaamahina, Paul Willemse
Backs (14)
Mathieu Bastareaud, Anthony Belleau, Geoffrey Doumayrou, Antoine Dupont, Gael Fickou, Wesley Fofana, Yoann Huget, Camille Lopez, Maxime Medard, Romain Ntamack, Morgan Parra, Damian Penaud, Thomas Ramos, Baptiste Serin

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 10 Jan 2019, 12:10 pm

French squad looks pretty good this year, no odd selections like beauxis. Brunel seems to like picking on form as there is plenty of Toulouse players involved.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 10 Jan 2019, 12:16 pm

Some quality half backs there.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 Jan 2019, 1:16 pm

Good squad. Their top teams are playing good rugby too..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 Jan 2019, 4:40 pm

Romain Ntemack has been in superb form, it will be interesting to see if they give him any game time...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 10 Jan 2019, 4:54 pm

Dupont, Serin and Parra at scrum half. I'd take whichever one they leave out of the matchday squad!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 10 Jan 2019, 4:58 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Dupont, Serin and Parra at scrum half. I'd take whichever one of those they leave out of the matchday squad!

Its fine, we have...Gareth Davies picard

Tomos Williams is tidy mind
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 10 Jan 2019, 5:02 pm

Scrum half's a bit of a worry now. I wouldn't be confident in Aled Davies starting. I love Tomos Williams but he's a bit too gung ho sometimes, and it won't be an easy ride for anyone over there.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next