The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The future of the cricket forum

+4
Dolphin Ziggler
Good Golly I'm Olly
Gooseberry
RDW
8 posters

Go down

The future of the cricket forum Empty The future of the cricket forum

Post by RDW Wed 30 Jan 2019, 8:43 am

Folks,

For those of you that have not already heard, Hero is stepping down as Founder of the site and I am taking over running the forum. I'm sure most of you probably haven't heard of me, mainly because I have almost exclusively posted in the rugby forum over the years! I am really keen to promote and better the entire forum however so I'm wanting to hear from you.

I'm keen to hear your opinions on the cricket forum - you can bring up anything but these are my key questions:

- How are the numbers looking on this section
- Do you need more mods?
- Do you have any ideas of things that can be done to improve the forum?

Thanks,

RDW (Ross)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

The future of the cricket forum Empty Re: The future of the cricket forum

Post by Gooseberry Wed 30 Jan 2019, 9:22 am

Not many post here but we tend to be prolific and regular.

Theres been little need for moderation for some time, aside from one individual who keeps coming back with various guises and saying controversial things. Even then it tends to self moderate. I cant think of having felt the need to report a post for a long long time. the main task seems to have been closing down excessively long topics.

Free beer?
The domestic stuff is split off to a sub forum, but frankly theres so few active threads in either section that could possibly be done away with to improve visibility.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 30 Jan 2019, 9:40 am

- How are the numbers looking on this section
- Do you need more mods?
- Do you have any ideas of things that can be done to improve the forum?

Numbers wise - not too bad, not exactly brimming with posters but there is a good amount of regular posters, who contribute when games are on and big news very often. Also from a range of places, so you do generally get discussion on all topics, albeit obviously England games generate the most

Mods - I don't think so, there's no real arguments here, and a lot of good in depth discussion. Plus Dolph posts a lot on the section, so can cover if anything did get out of hand I guess

Forum wise would agree with Goose's suggestion - there's far too many unused sections with little to no discussion - maybe rearrange so its not done alphabetically, but done by usage/activeness so the top discussed appear at the top of the page, rather than new users or guests having to scroll down or potentially miss things.

When the site was brimming a few years back there was a lot of good blogs and podcasts being produced - not sure what happened but that seemed to go by the way side, maybe something to look at
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 30 Jan 2019, 10:28 am

I’m happy to say I’ve got cricket pretty well covered. It’s the easiest part of the forum, I must say. Everyone is nice, even Duty would be said if an argument kicked off in here Wink

To be honest, I’d never even ban anyone, I’d just get Guildford to tell them he’s disappointed. As the nicest person in the world, getting that from him would crush any hardened soul

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 30 Jan 2019, 10:55 am

I'd echo the ideas above, bin off the sub sections and just have one overall cricket section. That might also encourage those who mainly comment on the County content to contribute to the international threads and vice versa

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 30 Jan 2019, 11:31 am

The numbers on here are relatively fine, compared to the rest of the board, but there's still far fewer posters around than when the forum was at its peak, say 2012/13ish.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 30 Jan 2019, 2:31 pm

VTR wrote:I'd echo the ideas above, bin off the sub sections and just have one overall cricket section. That might also encourage those who mainly comment on the County content to contribute to the international threads and vice versa

The Surrey Mafia deserve their own section Run

Personally I quite like having a separate Domestic Section. I know I can ignore it for half the year then pop in once the season starts. Otherwise I too echo the other thoughts. Never really seems to be much need for any moderating and this section is generally reasonably active and reasonably well informed. It is the TMS of 606v2

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 30 Jan 2019, 2:56 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
VTR wrote:I'd echo the ideas above, bin off the sub sections and just have one overall cricket section. That might also encourage those who mainly comment on the County content to contribute to the international threads and vice versa

Personally I quite like having a separate Domestic Section. I know I can ignore it for half the year then pop in once the season starts. Otherwise I too echo the other thoughts. Never really seems to be much need for any moderating and this section is generally reasonably active and reasonably well informed. It is the TMS of 606v2

I used to be the same, it would annoy me having a separate thread for every time someone at Surrey bought a tin of custard but now both boards have posts from 2017 on their front pages ...it aint exactly like the hot topics are going to get lost!
all I use the domestic threads for is occasionally criticising the CC and poking fun at the Surrey lot mind.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 30 Jan 2019, 3:20 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

I used to be the same, it would annoy me having a separate thread for every time someone at Surrey bought a tin of custard but now both boards have posts from 2017 on their front pages ...it aint exactly like the hot topics are going to get lost!
all I use the domestic threads for is occasionally criticising the CC and poking fun at the Surrey lot mind.  

And I'm sure that will continue to be the case whatever format we use. Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 01 Feb 2019, 8:39 am

Hi folks - thanks for your comments. I was deliberately planning on leaving this a few days to let the conversation flow but have ended up leaving it longer than planned - been a busy week - so apologies for that. I'll digest this over the weekend and come back with some responses OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down