The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Pun: Plays on Wards, Floydian slips, Witherspoonerisms, etc...

+4
HumanWindmill
Green Giant
Union Cane
Il Gialloblu
8 posters

Go down

Friday Pun: Plays on Wards, Floydian slips, Witherspoonerisms, etc... Empty Friday Pun: Plays on Wards, Floydian slips, Witherspoonerisms, etc...

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:06 pm

The following passage might not strictly authorise my views on the impending Ortiz - Mayweather fight, but it was written with nine hidden references to the two protagonists hidden therein. Some are hellishly easy, some hopefully aren't. Good luck spotting them all and I hope that once they have all been identified some fine poster could come up with a similar passage of hidden... I can't think of another word for 'references' just now so... references, and we can all have another go.

I'll list the right answers in the form of an edit when I can.

Ready? Ok...

Can the man from Kansas win? He may, whether he does or not though remains to be seen. I think it’ll either be Floyd shading it or ‘tis to be a one sided boxing lesson, although most will be confident who the victor is going to be. Ortiz seems to be well in with Golden Boy so hopefully he should make some money.

As for the location, why Cowboys Stadium? Why won’t the fight be held in the City of Sin? Clear for all to see, a big audience is now more important than fighting in one of the more ‘classic’ venues.

How will Floyd celebrate if he wins? Does he drink vodka? If he raises his hand for a top-up, will somebody else get it instead?

Will Ortiz go home alone and just ‘amuse’ himself if he loses? I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…

Happy cryptic reference spotting!

Final answers...

1. may, whether

2. or 'tis

3. victor

4. well in... Ortiz is from Garden City. well in + Garden City sounds like Welwyn Garden City, which is a place in Hertfordshire. I'll get my coat.

5. money

6. Sin? Clear... Floyd's birthname was Floyd Sinclair

7. Vodka... Floyd's dancing partner's surname was Smirnoff

8. Floyd's hand being raised, even though Todorov got the victory

9. a naturally right-handed man fighting southpaw

Last edited by Il Gialloblu on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 6:29 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : listing some answers)
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Friday Pun: Plays on Wards, Floydian slips, Witherspoonerisms, etc... Empty Re: Friday Pun: Plays on Wards, Floydian slips, Witherspoonerisms, etc...

Post by Union Cane Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

...He may, whether he does...

...shading it or 'tis to be...

...who the victor is going...

...make some money.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Friday Pun: Plays on Wards, Floydian slips, Witherspoonerisms, etc... Empty Re: Friday Pun: Plays on Wards, Floydian slips, Witherspoonerisms, etc...

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

Blimey, a reply. Cheers Union.

Any more?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

Are they all hidden in plain sight like the one's I already got, or are they proper cryptic?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

They are a little harder than just the fighters' names/nickname.

Looking back, at least one might be a little too tenuous.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Giant Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

"I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…"

Reference to Floyd use of xylocaine.
Green Giant
Green Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

Incorrect I'm afraid, Green Giant.

That one is about Ortiz.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

"I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…"

Ortiz has a constantly broken wrist...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:01 pm

I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…

Ortiz is left handed.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

Union Cane wrote:"I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…"

Ortiz has a constantly broken wrist...

I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…

He sits on his hand before knocking one out. Always thought that was an urban myth.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Giant Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:Incorrect I'm afraid, Green Giant.

That one is about Ortiz.

well whatever it is referring to mine is better.
Green Giant
Green Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:11 pm

"If he raises his hand for a top-up, will somebody else get it instead?"

Floyd's hand was raised by the ref at the 1996 Olympic semi final even though he had lost.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Giant Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Clear for all to see: reference to floyd drug testing demands
Cowboys: reference to floyd's and ellerbe's relationship

cant see anymore.
Green Giant
Green Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:53 am

HumanWindmill wrote:I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…

Ortiz is left handed.

Close enough for me Windy. Apparently although he fights southpaw, he is right handed. Using his left to do something he would ordinarily be doing with his right. Hmm.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 15 Jun 2011, 5:55 am

Union Cane wrote:"If he raises his hand for a top-up, will somebody else get it instead?"

Floyd's hand was raised by the ref at the 1996 Olympic semi final even though he had lost.

Yes Sir.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 15 Jun 2011, 6:06 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:I’ve heard he knows how to make it feel like somebody else is doing it…

Ortiz is left handed.

Close enough for me Windy. Apparently although he fights southpaw, he is right handed. Using his left to do something he would ordinarily be doing with his right. Hmm.

Not sure I deserve the thumbs up for that one, Gialloblu. but it's an interesting little piece of trivia. I wonder what persuaded him to adopt a southpaw stance ? Plenty of instances of the opposite throughout history, but I've never before heard of anybody's having done it this way round.

Thanks for the info.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:16 pm

A quote from Victor Ortiz, Windy...

"I’m naturally right-handed. Everything I do is right-handed. My power is just built on my left hand, somehow. Fighting left-handed was just more comfortable for me. I was just a better boxer that way. My defense was better, I didn’t get hit as much. I just developed myself into a left-hander. I don’t even like to switch to right-handed."

My old man is right handed but plays golf, and formerly cricket, left handed. Some people are just strange.

Ok, some clues for the remaining three.

4. Ortiz' home town...

6. Floyd's birth certificate...

7. Dancing With The Stars...
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Thanks for that, mate. I find that extremely interesting.

I'm not much of a football fan, these days, but I remember that the old Liverpool and England goalkeeper, Ray Clemence, used to kick the ball with one foot but throw it with the opposite hand.

Always found that odd.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:24 pm

Does he drink vodka?

His dancing partner was Karina Smirnoff...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 15 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

"Does he drink vodka"

His dance partner was Smirnoff.

Damn you Union.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

Nice one Union and nice one Scottrf, one minute later.

Windy, what you mentioned about people fighting 'wrong' handed... I'm interested to know more. I'll make a thread about it so people who don't care about this thread (which seems to be most people) may have the chance to contribute also.

As for this, I'll post the remaining answers tomorrow and hopefully someone can take the time to write their own hidden reference littered passage and we can go again.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:21 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:

Windy, what you mentioned about people fighting 'wrong' handed... I'm interested to know more. I'll make a thread about it

I'd be interested also, Gialloblu. I can think of three or four who converted and I'm sure that others could, also. Good idea to dedicate a thread to the subject.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

Ortiz's home town is Oxnard, and there is a reference to cow in cowboys, but I doubt that I am 100% the way there. Anyone want to take this one home for me?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

bhb001... The information I had and used when constructing this was that Ortiz was born and raised in a place called Garden City.

Hope that helps! thumbsup
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

Uncle Google said that as well, but that he now lives in Oxnard, hence my confusion and spot of rabbit hole dashing. Thanks for putting me back on the right track

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:bhb001... The information I had and used when constructing this was that Ortiz was born and raised in a place called Garden City.

Hope that helps! thumbsup

Reference to ' Garden of Eden,' Gialloblu ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 16 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

Las Vegas means the meadows in Spanish. maybe this?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 16 Jun 2011, 4:10 pm

Sorry lads, still not there.

Think... Hertfordshire.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 17 Jun 2011, 6:22 am

Ok, the remaining two answers. Apologies for how tenuous they are.

Ortiz' hometown is a place called Garden City. There is a place in Hertforshire called Welwyn Garden City.

"seems to be well in with Golden Boy"

Floyd's birthname was Floyd Sinclair. Where I come from, 'clear' is pronounced the same as 'clair'.

"City of Sin? Clear for all"

That's it.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 17 Jun 2011, 6:24 am

I forgot to say thanks to those who humoured me by playing along, which was quite rude of me.

Cheers lads.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:25 am

Likewise thanks to you, Gialloblu, for an interesting workout for the grey matter.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

I would suggest the OP never do this again as, despite it clearly taking a lot of time and effort (and being very clever), it has met with only marginally more success than Union's "Reverse Linear Theory" threads

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:35 am

DAVE667 wrote:I would suggest the OP never do this again as, despite it clearly taking a lot of time and effort (and being very clever), it has met with only marginally more success than Union's "Reverse Linear Theory" threads

Some of these binmen have far too much time on their hands.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:I would suggest the OP never do this again as, despite it clearly taking a lot of time and effort (and being very clever), it has met with only marginally more success than Union's "Reverse Linear Theory" threads

Some of these binmen have far too much time on their hands.

Thanks for the kind words.

You're probably right, and it's not something that I will be rushing to do again. However, while trying something different hardly grabbed v2's attention like the more common (some more common than others) threads people write, a few people did take part so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Never try, never know and all that.

Without that attitude, I wouldn't have taken the chance to come to China and get a good job as a teacher. I know it's not for everyone but I'd rather be here doing something than, say, sitting at home waiting for a girl to get back from travelling.

Anyway, now I've replied to you two, I think this thread has served its purpose and is just about finished. Have a good weekend lads. thumbsup

Last edited by Il Gialloblu on Fri 17 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

Best of luck to you dear chap!

I feel your pain as my incredible Peter Jackson articles were met with the sort of interest a cow shows a football that's landed in it's field.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down