The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great players never to play for the Lions

+16
No 7&1/2
Rugby Fan
robbo277
maestegmafia
Exiledinborders
Geordie
BamBam
rodders
Pot Hale
Cyril
LondonTiger
lostinwales
dummy_half
LordDowlais
eirebilly
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Great players never to play for the Lions - Page 2 Empty Great players never to play for the Lions

Post by eirebilly Wed 06 Feb 2019, 3:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just seen this page and there are some very big names never to have represented the Lions. Names that I could almost swear they had.

https://lastwordonrugby.com/2019/02/05/greatest-players-never-to-wear-the-lions-jersey/?fbclid=IwAR1hTFWhVpYZfpyGuec2mdZfE-fiwWSjv2B5Wr3xRZUqoJhH9kEHPIlbBbE

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Great players never to play for the Lions - Page 2 Empty Re: Great players never to play for the Lions

Post by LondonTiger Fri 08 Feb 2019, 7:59 pm

123456789. wrote:I think Jason White went in 2005 did he not?

He replaced Richard Hill and became the 48th player on the tour when he featured in the last midweek game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Great players never to play for the Lions - Page 2 Empty Re: Great players never to play for the Lions

Post by TJ Fri 08 Feb 2019, 8:21 pm

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2019, 10:10 pm

Is it really unfair treatment? Or is it just coach’s prerogative to make the tough decisions? I’m sure Rowntree didn’t think at the time ‘You know what, I’m gonna f*ck over that Grant chap. Leave him out just to teach him a lesson’. THAT would be unfair treatment! But the coaches have an unbelievably difficult and pressured role to play and decisions to make, and they do what they feel is best at the time. It’s easy for us to say ‘unfair’ sitting in the comfort of our offices or living rooms. But I think ‘unfair’ is a little...... unfair in this instance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2019, 10:14 pm

Good point. By and large coaches don't give a sheet about the person behind a player. Particularly some of the best ones - the holistic care is for other people/times to worry about than in the heat of a test match. A player is a lump of meat with abilities - even BOD. Selection is based on that and that's what you can query. In this instance, not taking off a shattered prop for another prop you've called up, and was in good form, seems a poor call, but you can see why it was (not) made as well considering the set-up of the team (minimise mistakes).

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 09 Feb 2019, 8:23 am

The Grant gripe is another great example why the Lions is anachronistic and should be scrapped. The modern disposable player approach required by the uber concentrated schedule gives no time for coaches to know the capabilities of their players much less consider their welfare.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2