The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P. Rocky Lockridge

4 posters

Go down

R.I.P. Rocky Lockridge Empty R.I.P. Rocky Lockridge

Post by Atila Fri 8 Feb - 18:24

https://www.tmz.com/2019/02/07/boxer-rocky-lockridge-dead-dies-intervention/

Former boxing champ Rocky Lockridge -- who later had the most famous appearance on the show "Intervention" -- has passed away at age 60, his family confirms.
Family members tell us Rocky died Thursday morning from complications from a stroke he suffered a while back.
Lockridge was a stud fighter back in the '80s -- racking up multiple titles with victories over guys like Roger Mayweather.

But, he later became addicted to crack cocaine ... and his family brought him on the A&E show, "Intervention," in an effort to get him cleaned up.

During one famous scene, family members were pouring out their hearts to Rocky and he belted out a cry that went viral. It later became an Internet meme known as "best cry ever."

Rocky's son Ricky Lockridge confirmed his father's passing and said, "It is with great pain but a whole heart that I tell you family and friends that my father Ricky Lockridge aka Rocky Lockridge has passed away."

Atila

Back to top Go down

R.I.P. Rocky Lockridge Empty Re: R.I.P. Rocky Lockridge

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 8 Feb - 23:11

Remember him upsetting Roger Mayweather years ago...Remember him being ripped of over fifteen to lose his 130 pound strap against Gomez in Puerto Rico...Gomez went to hospital and he went to the beach..Won by at least 5 rounds..

Had a stinker with Pedroza and a war with Harold Knight that were networked..

Tough kid that got every ounce out of his talent.

Unfortunately like too many of his contempories found outside the ring tougher than inside it and it was with great sadness I saw some clips of that show where his Son emptied his heart....Must have hurt a million times more than any boxing match..

Still we are none of us perfect and I do hope there was some closure before he died....Addiction can turn the most loving people astray..

No more pain now Rocky...Rest in peace.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 10 Feb - 0:35

Tough man who almost always gave a good account of himself... and fought most of top fighters of his generation. Funnily it was his losses that stood out for me, firstly the fist round KO to Laporte. It was a great right hand from a guy who could punch but the unusual thing is that generally when a chin is cracked it happens again. Lockridge went on to fight some big hitters for many years and no one put a dent in him.

Secondly the loss to Chavez, this time because he gave such a good account of himself.

Sad to see his troubles. RIP Rocky.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 11 Feb - 11:18

Terrible shame to see his struggles in retirement. Lockridge was a real tough nut who almost never took a backwards step, even against notoriously rough and strong guys like Pedroza and Chavez. Although I think Pedroza did beat him both times - barely - they were possibly his most taxing defences until McGuigan toppled him (I've not seen Pedroza's draw against Taylor, so can't comment there).

R.I.P.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 11 Feb - 18:30

Laporte is a good recall..Forgot that one even more memorable because like Benvenuti-Rodrigues...Laporte wasn't a one punch fighter..

But people remember these things because alphabet titles in the old days were more important than they are now..

Sadly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down