The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just watching Rocky IV

+12
compelling and rich
BALTIMORA
Adam D
Union Cane
HumanWindmill
AdZacO
Sugar Boy Sweetie
oxring
88Chris05
coxy0001
eddyfightfan
D4thincarnation
16 posters

Go down

Just watching Rocky IV Empty Just watching Rocky IV

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 27 Mar 2011, 9:45 pm

A lot of points of discussion from this film.

Was Apollo's ring entrance the best there was?

Should Apollo's team demanded blood tests?

Drago hadn't fought anyone and Creed was over the hill any other examples of this boxing?

Rocky IV best one of the series IMO

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Just watching Rocky IV Empty Re: Just watching Rocky IV

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 27 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

no naz's enterance on a leopard print flying carpet was the best

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 27 Mar 2011, 9:49 pm

That Russian guy is sounding a lot like Azania, Drago is the evolution of boxing and and Rocky is a relic.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 27 Mar 2011, 9:54 pm

Fighters can't change who they are, fighting is what they do, is Rocky right. Roy Jones behavior would certainly suggest that he is.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 27 Mar 2011, 10:08 pm

Christ, tying in Rocky IV with random testing. I give up with you, and the mods wonder why a few here call for you to be banned

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 Mar 2011, 10:11 pm

Rousing speech from Tony, there. I used to absolutely love the corny, over-the-top and dramatic lines of the Rocky series, seems that Steffan sapped away that love with his drivel on the old 606!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 27 Mar 2011, 10:31 pm

You would think Rocky's style would have all wrong to face a fighter like Drago. But the Russian still has yet to fight more than a couple of round, lets see how this goes down.

Another question, What the most hostile crowd a boxer has had to face?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 27 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm

Only one answer to that D4 and it would be Chavez vs Haugen for my money... Just imagine if the latter had won!

Last edited by coxy0001 on Sun 27 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Retardeddddd tiredness)

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Another question, What the most hostile crowd a boxer has had to face?

I'd imagine that the atmosphere at the Young Stribling-Mike McTigue fight would be up there. The then 175 lb champion, McTigue broke his hand early in the bout and wanted to retire, but was convinced at gun point to continue by some shady 'associates' at the end of the tenth, by which time Stribling was leading 8-2 in rounds. The referee saved McTigue's blushes by declaring a controversial draw, but then hastily changed his result to a Stribling win as the crown became hostile and when Ku Klux Klansmen, who were in attendance, threatened to string him up. Then, as soon as he was out of the danger zone of the stadium, he reverted back to his original decision. A riotous one, to say the least.

Obvious ones would be Jack Johnson against Burns and then Jeffries, Hagler versus Minter and also 'Fighting' Harada when he took on Johnny Famechon for the Featherweight title in Famechon's back yard of Sydney, Australia. The fight was refereed by Willie Pep, and it seemed to everyone that Harada had won easily, flooring Famechon three times and controlling much of the fight. Somehow, Pep scored the fight a draw, but even that robbery wasn't enough to satisfy Famechon's fans and, in the middle of crowd backlash, Pep claimed he'd made an error in his scoring and somehow then gave the fight to Famechon. An absolutely shocking refereeing performance, and in my mind an obvious example of a partisan and hostile crowd influencing a result.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 27 Mar 2011, 11:05 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:That Russian guy is sounding a lot like Azania, Drago is the evolution of boxing and and Rocky is a relic.

Priceless comment!
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 27 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm

No way is rocky 4 the best in the series D4! It's the worst, only that pile of cack known as Rocky 5 stinks even more.

I don't like the way a good character like apollo was made to be the fall guy. The way drago is allowed to bludgeon him to death in an exhibition bout is ridiculous. The way the Russian crowd turns against it's own fighter to cheer on an American given the conflict between the two countries back then is literally proposerous. The fight scenes are rubbish, and there's far too many montages - they shouldve called it Rocky the Musical! Also, Rocky is miserable throughout the whole film, there's no warmth from him, he's not the lovable but dim street guy of before, just a surly, monotoned rich git. In order the Rocky films go like this in terms of how good they are:

1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 5.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Sun 27 Mar 2011, 11:28 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:No way is rocky 4 the best in the series D4! It's the worst, only that pile of cack known as Rocky 5 stinks even more.

I don't like the way a good character like apollo was made to be the fall guy. The way drago is allowed to bludgeon him to death in an exhibition bout is ridiculous. The way the Russian crowd turns against it's own fighter to cheer on an American given the conflict between the two countries back then is literally proposerous. The fight scenes are rubbish, and there's far too many montages - they shouldve called it Rocky the Musical! Also, Rocky is miserable throughout the whole film, there's no warmth from him, he's not the lovable but dim street guy of before, just a surly, monotoned rich git. In order the Rocky films go like this in terms of how good they are:

1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 5.

For some reason i love Rocky 4. Although 1 was the best by a mile, it is the second best.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:No way is rocky 4 the best in the series D4! It's the worst, only that pile of cack known as Rocky 5 stinks even more.

1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 5.

In fairness though, Sugar Boy, Rocky V is so obscenely awful that it actually becomes kind of good, and pretty hilarious at times!

The fact that his son ages about ten years when there's supposed to be no gap between Rocky IV and Rocky V is a wee bit disturbing, though.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Mon 28 Mar 2011, 4:08 am

[quote="88Chris05"]

1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 5.

Chris, i hate one of my early posts to disagree with you, as you are obviously one of the most knoledgable posters. But this is cinema. And the only point you make that rings true is the russian crowd going against their own man, which is part of the story, infact one of the main parts.

That aside, the fact apollo is cast aside, given that he is a former hero, says alot about boxing. That no mater how much a character is loved, they should not keep boxing. It is homage to all the shot boxers that keep going.

As i said, hate one of first post to be about a film. But im AzacO, i really know only modern(ish) boxing, so i shall stay away from best of all time, and past boxers (unless to read to gain knowledge)

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:52 am

D4thincarnation wrote:Another question, What the most hostile crowd a boxer has had to face?

Floyd Mayweather at a party at your house.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:58 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

He said 'crowd', Windy.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:59 am

I love the Rocky films and the one thing that spoilt this film for me, was the fact that they had to make Drago a drug cheat.

Just pointless in regards to the story - why couldnt he have just been that good/ big without cheating?

Just a cheap way to run down Russian athletes. It always annoyed me.

And I like Rocky V - it gets so much of a drubbing, I think its unfair.

https://www.606v2.com/t1389-the-rocky-films

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:03 am

Union Cane wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

He said 'crowd', Windy.

Silly me, Union !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:10 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

Why am I picturing a scenario something akin to 'Silence of the Lambs'..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:14 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Because you have a fascination with the idea of D4's being forcibly restrained.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:16 am

Ha! I was picturing him in the Buffalo Bill role..!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:32 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Ha! I was picturing him in the Buffalo Bill role..!

He'd probably be easier to digest than his arguments are.

( D4, if you're reading this I'm only tail yanking...............honestly!! )

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:38 am

there can never be too many montages in a rocky film!! in fact its all the latter rockys do. also dont care what anybody says rocky 5 is hands down the worse. rocky 4 is chessy but the training scene is class, he's that good he runs up a mountain in the snow!! drago never stood a chance!!

Last edited by compelling and rich on Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : monday morning spelling)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:52 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

"It signs to fight Manny or else it gets the hose!"

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:58 am

I see it more like D4 in the role of Lecter, Floyd Mayweather in the role of Buffalo Bill and Pacquiao in the role of Starling. D4 as Lecter, the 'gifted' but mad as a rat in a tin sh*thouse (I jest, D4) psycho who who knows how the evil, hunted Mayweather's (Buffalo Bill) mind works - how else does he know all these reasons why he's 'scared' of Pacquiao? - and forms a strange relationship and fascination, which could be described as love in a perverse kind of way, with the person who is hunting him, which in this case is Pacquiao (Starling).

Scary stuff!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:03 am

88Chris05 wrote:I see it more like D4 in the role of Lecter, Floyd Mayweather in the role of Buffalo Bill and Pacquiao in the role of Starling. D4 as Lecter, the 'gifted' but mad as a rat in a tin sh*thouse (I jest, D4) psycho who who knows how the evil, hunted Mayweather's (Buffalo Bill) mind works - how else does he know all these reasons why he's 'scared' of Pacquiao? - and forms a strange relationship and fascination, which could be described as love in a perverse kind of way, with the person who is hunting him, which in this case is Pacquiao (Starling).

Scary stuff!
Not as scary as the amount of thought you put into that, Chris!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:07 am

I dunno, I still have trouble imagining it any other way than D4 as Bill, though I'm undecided as to whether or not it'd be Floyd or Manny in the pit. Probably Floyd-Manny would've been his first victim because as Lecter says in the film: "we covet that which we see every day"...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:07 am

I like it, Chris.

I could also see Manny cast as the ' Red Dragon ' ( the protagonist in one of the other ' Hannibal ' films, ) with the part of the visually impaired object of his affection being played by D4.

Blind love, and all that.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:11 am

I was thinking D4 would be more suited to the role of Miggs...the obsessive self abuser in the cell down from Lecter

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

DAVE667 wrote:I was thinking D4 would be more suited to the role of Miggs...the obsessive self abuser in the cell down from Lecter

There it is !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:14 am

DAVE667 wrote:I was thinking D4 would be more suited to the role of Miggs...the obsessive self abuser in the cell down from Lecter

Ouch, Dave! I think the only 606 'If posters were film characters' analogy I've read that even comes close to being that insulting is when someone (can't remember who) stated that Trussman would be Julia Gulia from 'The Wedding Singer!'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:20 am

It would be more insulting if it weren't absolutely spot-on...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Mon 28 Mar 2011, 2:46 pm

There are far more disturbing people on here than d4. He may have his pet subjects, but its usually boxing chat. I've seen some weird types in my time on old 606 and this one.

Rock IV was an 80s film, at the time of the cold war. Its kind of a pro-American and capitalist, anti-soviet communist film. Action movies were a little gung ho in those days and often contained patriotic themes. Now, American foreign policy ventures abroad arn't always greeted with the same enthusiasm. Rocky IV is not that far from real life at the time, if one remembers the ice hockey match between Canada and Czechoslovakia. It wasn't that uncommon for Soviet block athletes to use banned substances, either. The film doesn't portray Russia in a positive light, save the fact underneath they were all good sorts desperate to be Americans. Red Dawn, Rambo - Russia was the bad guy at the time.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 2:51 pm

1) Gatti's crapping himself when the fireworks went off behind him and trying to make out he wasn't afterwards..was the best.

2) No it was an exhibition so know need for tests..

3) Matthew Hilton vs Wilfrid Benitez.........

Khan vs Barrera

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Mar 2011, 6:33 pm

ArchBritishchris wrote:There are far more disturbing people on here than d4. He may have his pet subjects, but its usually boxing chat. I've seen some weird types in my time on old 606 and this one.

Rock IV was an 80s film, at the time of the cold war. Its kind of a pro-American and capitalist, anti-soviet communist film. Action movies were a little gung ho in those days and often contained patriotic themes. Now, American foreign policy ventures abroad arn't always greeted with the same enthusiasm. Rocky IV is not that far from real life at the time, if one remembers the ice hockey match between Canada and Czechoslovakia. It wasn't that uncommon for Soviet block athletes to use banned substances, either. The film doesn't portray Russia in a positive light, save the fact underneath they were all good sorts desperate to be Americans. Red Dawn, Rambo - Russia was the bad guy at the time.

It wasn't uncommon for all athletes to use banned substances. Its just that the eastern bloc countries used it via state sponsored training. But USA had better masking agents as well as marketing agents. Ask Carl Lewis.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 28 Mar 2011, 6:58 pm

Rocky is overrated IMO. Only went 1-1 with both Apollo Creed and Clubber Lang and only beat Apollo with a last second knock down, not GOAT material. Then went and fought bums before taking on Clubber and losing first time out, before avenging his loss. Then do we take into account his fight with Ivan Drago? As it was unsanctioned then should we take it into account when considering ATG status? IMO this was his best win, although Drago was unproven as a pro having only beaten a washed up Creed. Also having lost 24 times in his career, mostly to journeymen, we cannot really consider Rocky as a Top 10 Heavyweight fighter. However, in H2H match ups I would pick him to beat people like Frazier and Foreman, but lose to Ali among others. Ranks somewhere between 15-20 in my list.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

Strange that there's a statue of Rocky in Philly but nothing of Frazier who put Philly on the boxing map. America wanted a white heavyweight champ and they invented one.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down