The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joshua to Fight Miller in the USA, Whyte to Take On Breazeale

+3
smashingstormcrow
Eejit
Mr Bounce
7 posters

Go down

Joshua to Fight Miller in the USA, Whyte to Take On Breazeale Empty Joshua to Fight Miller in the USA, Whyte to Take On Breazeale

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 13 Feb 2019, 6:00 pm

Not a great surprise this. Whyte wouldn't fight for the money offered, and as Fury and Wilder are busy with each other, it was time for another opponent.

https://fightnews.com/joshua-big-baby-clash-june-1-at-msg/39547

https://fightnews.com/wbc-orders-breazeale-whyte-interim-title-bout/39517

Miller's number 2 in the WBA rankings and is unbeaten. He will also be at home so it'll be interesting to see a) how Joshua copes with fighting outside his own back yard and b) How good or bad Miller is. He's a big chunker it has to be said, and although he's alleged to be heavy handed, he couldn't shift Duhaupas and although fans of his will point to the 2-round destruction of Tomasz Adamek, the pole was 41 and outweighed by 90lbs. Aside from Duhaupas, Adamek and Washington there's barely a name on his record. I have a feeling it'll be target practice for AJ against a 300lb + lump whose only chance is a lucky punch. AJ KO by end of 7.

The WBC have ordered the Breazeale - Whyte fight for the interim World title, presumably for the winner to face off against the winner of Fury - Wilder. I don't see Breazeale doing too much against Whyte. He was lucky to last 7 against AJ and I feel that Dillian's much vaunted left hook will find its mark. He may be 6ft 7 but he hasn't impressed. Whyte in 9.

All this is great for Matchroom/Hearn. He has 3 of the 4 fighters so will still have at least 1 fighter with a heavyweight title or 3 whatever happens.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Joshua to Fight Miller in the USA, Whyte to Take On Breazeale Empty Re: Joshua to Fight Miller in the USA, Whyte to Take On Breazeale

Post by Eejit Wed 13 Feb 2019, 6:22 pm

Agree with your assessment on how the fight will go. Understand why it was made but a bit underwhelming and probably not one I'll shell out 20 quid to watch.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Joshua to Fight Miller in the USA, Whyte to Take On Breazeale Empty Re: Joshua to Fight Miller in the USA, Whyte to Take On Breazeale

Post by smashingstormcrow Thu 14 Feb 2019, 9:39 am

It all makes great business sense for Hearn...

- Whyte and Joshua both in fights they are almost certain to win... and win in style.
- Fighting Americans, so building their profiles in the US.
- Whyte to fight the winner of Fury/Wilder in a fight that could do pretty well on both Sky and DAZN.
- Joshua to face a mandatory in Autumn, the gravy train rolls on for now. Potential lucrative Klitschko comeback fight next year. Eventually attempts to unify in 2020 or 2021 (against Fury?)

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:00 am

smashingstormcrow wrote: Eventually attempts to unify in 2020 or 2021 (against Fury?)

Or Whyte, which just helps Hearn's bank balance even more!
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Thu 14 Feb 2019, 4:42 pm

Afro wrote:Or Whyte, which just helps Hearn's bank balance even more!

First of all, I think it's quite unlikely that Whyte beats the winner of Wilder/Fury. Not impossible... but I really don't see it.
Secondly, if he did do it, I can't see Whyte vs Joshua II happening. Two HW champs are more profitable than one.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Thu 14 Feb 2019, 6:01 pm

White does seem to be improving with every fight but I fear he’s just made for Joshua.

I still think that despite the championships being elsewhere Fury is the best in the division by some margin.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 14 Feb 2019, 6:53 pm

smashingstormcrow wrote:
Afro wrote:Or Whyte, which just helps Hearn's bank balance even more!

First of all, I think it's quite unlikely that Whyte beats the winner of Wilder/Fury. Not impossible... but I really don't see it.
Secondly, if he did do it, I can't see Whyte vs Joshua II happening. Two HW champs are more profitable than one.

I can see white beating Wilder. Fury I think is too technically good.

And what is more profitable. Two HW champs or unification bout, with a guaranteed rematch (plus a third if it is honours even) plus then fights from a guaranteed undisputed champ
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Fri 15 Feb 2019, 8:14 am

Afro wrote:And what is more profitable. Two HW champs or unification bout, with a guaranteed rematch (plus a third if it is honours even) plus then fights from a guaranteed undisputed champ

It's all "whatif" type speculation, but I'd imagine that two HW champs - both taking the champion's share of the purse - for several fights would be the more lucrative option. I imagine if both Whyte and Joshua held belts, one of them would have to leave Matchroom to get the fight made.

Anyway, I like Whyte, but I can't see him picking up a belt while Fury and Joshua are around.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by El Radar Fri 15 Feb 2019, 7:45 pm

With the exception of Luis Ortiz just about the best opponent that AJ could have fought in fairness; with Fury and Wilder fighting again there were no desirable options left.

Easy to overlook he has beaten three of the current top ten as well as Wlad Klitschko so will cut him a modicum of slack for this fight but unification has to come next. For what it's worth think Povetkin is a better boxer than Wilder so he's hardly picking easy options.

El Radar

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 16 Feb 2019, 4:04 pm

I think Joseph Parker's name should be included in the mix.  He was knocked down by a clash of heads in the second round with his fight with Dillian Whyte which disorientated him a bit in the middle rounds.  He was knocked down in the 9th but was finishing stronger in the later rounds with Dillian exhausted and surviving on fumes.  I would like to see how and if Parker could handle Wilder. Just to add Parker turned 27 last month - so he still has plenty of time to mature and get better.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sun 17 Feb 2019, 11:06 am

Good shout on Parker. He’s had a few hard fights but he’s a classy boxer.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Wed 20 Feb 2019, 2:58 am

Miller will knock aj out can't wait

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:53 pm

After Miller's man-handling of Joshua during their press conference Joshua came out with quite angry words saying he would - knock him **** out.  Miller seems to be someone who gets under peoples skin. I am used to Joshua always remaining cool and being respectful during press conference - but he seemed riled in this one.  

Not sure what happened with Dillian Whyte when they first met - I also heard Whyte got under Joshua's skin in the build-up with them having previous during the amateurs I think(?)  That may have led to Joshua being a bit careless in his fight with Whyte - when he was rocked by Whyte with a punch.   If Whyte had been a better boxer he might have been able to have finished the job because Joshua seemed stunned for sometime afterwards before regaining his senses.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 25 Feb 2019, 3:04 pm

No name Bertie wrote:After Miller's man-handling of Joshua during their press conference Joshua came out with quite angry words saying he would - knock him **** out.  Miller seems to be someone who gets under peoples skin. I am used to Joshua always remaining cool and being respectful during press conference - but he seemed riled in this one.  

Not sure what happened with Dillian Whyte when they first met - I also heard Whyte got under Joshua's skin in the build-up with them having previous during the amateurs I think(?)  That may have led to Joshua being a bit careless in his fight with Whyte - when he was rocked by Whyte with a punch.   If Whyte had been a better boxer he might have been able to have finished the job because Joshua seemed stunned for sometime afterwards before regaining his senses.

Joshua strikes me as being very carefully stage managed but sometimes the mask slips I guess. Whyte did nearly have him and both have become much better fighters since that first one.

On Joshua/Miller, I really can't see past a comfortable AJ win and I doubt it will go the distance. I think Big Baby is just made for him, and giving credit where credit's due, Joshua does have that killer instinct to finish a fight early.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down