The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

+26
Pot Hale
Mad for Chelsea
LondonTiger
bico
R!skysports
Dollar Bill
Anglobraveheart
Welly
Tramptastic
TheMildlyFranticLlama
cakeordeath
funnyExiledScot
EST
TJ
NeilyBroon
BigGee
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
demosthenes
Eejit
EWT Spoons
bsando
George Carlin
RDW
tigertattie
30 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) Empty Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Tue 12 Mar 2019, 10:56 am

With the woes and injuries in the international camp just depressing us, lets look back to the club game.

Possible areas of discussion:
Edinburgh continue to hold the 1872 trophy
Edinburgh are getting a new ground
Edinburgh have a home Euro Champs cup game to look forward to
Edinburgh have a league fixture against the perpetual point givers, Glasgow, to look forward to
BigGee’s proposed Scotland XV for England has 8 Edinburgh players, 4 exiles and 3 Glasgow players so even the International team is starting to look representative of where rugby in Scotland truly exists.
It’s not all bad for Glasgow though as they sit above Munster in the Pro 14 and have Stafford McDowell on their books
Edinburgh have Hamish Watson though
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by tigertattie Tue 12 Mar 2019, 12:10 pm

Just to kick off form auld FES's question on Darcy:

I'm guesstimating, but as they've said that Kinghorn, Seymour and Hogg are ruled out of the England game, as they've not said Darcy is, then he's managed to recover???

Of course it could be that he's still under assesment.

Anyone on here form the borders? folk in the borders will have heard about how he;s getting on via the jungle drums that let everyone know everyone elses business down there!

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size) Empty Re: Edinburgh and Glasgow – Continuing patter version 22 (it used to be a squad size)

Post by RDW Tue 12 Mar 2019, 1:03 pm

Brumbies and former Heriots 2nd row Murray Douglas is joining Edinburgh after the Super Rugby season, then is returning back to Aus for the next Super Rugby season.

Bit random...I'm assuming it's world cup cover.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Mar 2019, 1:42 pm

I think that for this thread it should be absolutely compulsory to refer to Scotland's favourite gangling speedster butterfingers as King Blairhorn. It is strangely perfect.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 12 Mar 2019, 2:31 pm

Murray Douglas unable to pick up a pro contract in Scotland but has played for Rebels, Hurricaines and now Brumbies. How weird is that? Assuming he maybe moved for a change of scene as much as a pro contract. Glad he has managed to keep playing to such a high standard and get a shot with Edinburgh.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 12 Mar 2019, 2:34 pm

It's actually a shrewed piece of business - we don't need a lock for the whole season but are likely to be without Gilchrist and Toolis for the world cup. He can cover that period then goes back to Aus at the end of the year when they return to Edinburgh. I'm sure he'll have family here so works out well for him too.

Anyone know if he plays much for the Brumbies?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 9:00 am

George Carlin wrote:I think that for this thread it should be absolutely compulsory to refer to Scotland's favourite gangling speedster butterfingers as King Blairhorn. It is strangely perfect.

But his name is Tommy Seymour!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Mar 2019, 9:02 am

Gone fairly unnoticed on here, but Ritchie Vernon (capped as a forward and back) is retiring this season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Mar 2019, 11:43 am

New Edinburgh signing from the look of things

Kunavula

From the link wrote:Fiji Airways 7’s forward Mesulame Kunavula is currently in negotiation with the Edinburgh rugby club about his visa for his long term rugby contract with the club.

Coach Gareth Baber says Kunavula has been given time to travel to Scotland to sort out his visa as he will take up a permanent contract with Edinburgh.

“He is still in negotiation with the Edinburgh and part of that is he has sort his visa out and then eventually takes up a permanent contract with Edinburgh as I’ve said notably before that obviously players are getting opportunity like this and it’s important for them to pursue those and Kunavula has been given that time to travel to Edinburgh to sort his visa out for his long term contract there.”

Due to work internet restrictions I can't add the YouTube link of him playing 7s for Fiji, but he's a big lad who looks capable. Caveat with that it is 7s and a Youtube highlights reel

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

Apparently Bordeaux want him as well, to play 8.

Could be a Mata replacement, give him a season to get up to speed learning from Mata, then when Mata's contract is up he comes in to take his place.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

Do Edinburgh need a NSQ backrower? (he looks like a backrower)

We've got:

As first choice
Big Bill
Barclay (at 6 maybe)
Mish

We've then got
Bradbury
Ritchie (arguably he'll be first choice 6 if Barclay can't get up to form, but Barclay is such a good player)
Crosbie
Hamilton
Nayalo (has he even played?)
This new fella
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Mar 2019, 11:55 am

I think he'll need some time to get up to speed with the 15s game. So as I said, he'll get a season to get up to speed and I think Mata's contract ends in 2021, so could be a like for like replacement.

Nayalo has played. once or twice I think.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:09 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:I think he'll need some time to get up to speed with the 15s game.  So as I said, he'll get a season to get up to speed and I think Mata's contract ends in 2021, so could be a like for like replacement.

Nayalo has played.  once or twice I think.

I suppose options are needed but I'm still looking for a future Edinburgh backrow of Ritchie, Bradbury, Watson.

I still maintain that the old chopper at 6 like Harley used to play is gone and now 6s need to be more like 6.5s. When teams play with two distrupitive "fetcher" types on either side, this seems to bring rewards.

You then need the 8 to be the big bruising monster that carries (unless you've got Hamish Watson who carries like a monster - 10 defenders beaten in 22 mins of play, more than any other Scottish player has acheived in a full 80 mins)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:14 pm

So Edinburgh get all the SRU funding they could need, a new stadium, all the new signings and the easiest champions cup group ever conceived and they're still heading for Challenge Cup rugby next season. Meanwhile Glasgow lose all their big money players but bringing excellence through the academy and sitting top of their conference well on their way to a second title.

It's like a storybook. Noble savages vs the big-chinned luvvie elite. Hero vs villain. Rocky vs Ivan Drago. Me vs getting up to pee in the middle of the night.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 12:47 pm

Eejit wrote:So Edinburgh get all the SRU funding they could need, a new stadium, all the new signings and the easiest champions cup group ever conceived and they're still heading for Challenge Cup rugby next season. Meanwhile Glasgow lose all their big money players but bringing excellence through the academy and sitting top of their conference well on their way to a second title.

It's like a storybook. Noble savages vs the big-chinned luvvie elite. Hero vs villain. Rocky vs Ivan Drago. Me vs getting up to pee in the middle of the night.

The SRU are just rebalancing the years of all the funding and big names going to Glasgow. Remember they moved you from Firhill to your own nice little residence at Scotstoun. Glasgow got the good coaches, Edinburgh were given Solomons.

Once Edinburgh are in their own mini Murrayfield and winning the Pro 14/16/18 in years to come, the SRU will start to give some scraps back to the soap dodgers. It's not the SRUs fault that you spent all the money they gave you on building a statue to honour the ruck inspector
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 13 Mar 2019, 1:34 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:New Edinburgh signing from the look of things

Kunavula

From the link wrote:Fiji Airways 7’s forward Mesulame Kunavula is currently in negotiation with the Edinburgh rugby club about his visa for his long term rugby contract with the club.

Coach Gareth Baber says Kunavula has been given time to travel to Scotland to sort out his visa as he will take up a permanent contract with Edinburgh.

“He is still in negotiation with the Edinburgh and part of that is he has sort his visa out and then eventually takes up a permanent contract with Edinburgh as I’ve said notably before that obviously players are getting opportunity like this and it’s important for them to pursue those and Kunavula has been given that time to travel to Edinburgh to sort his visa out for his long term contract there.”

Due to work internet restrictions I can't add the YouTube link of him playing 7s for Fiji, but he's a big lad who looks capable.  Caveat with that it is 7s and a Youtube highlights reel

Interesting. He was one of two who were linked with a trial period at Glasgow later on this year with a view to a permanent contract if it worked out.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 13 Mar 2019, 1:39 pm

tigertattie wrote:Do Edinburgh need a NSQ backrower? (he looks like a backrower)

We've got:

As first choice
Big Bill
Barclay (at 6 maybe)
Mish

We've then got
Bradbury
Ritchie (arguably he'll be first choice 6 if Barclay can't get up to form, but Barclay is such a good player)
Crosbie
Hamilton
Nayalo (has he even played?)
This new fella

Do we know how long the new guy is signing for?

Mata, Barclay, Mish, Bradbury and Ritchie are all in with a shout of missing the first four months (two months RWC, a month break, a month to get up to speed). They get back for January before the four Scots are  gone again for eight weeks.

Most of next season for Edinburgh could be Crosbie, Hamilton, Nayolo (assuming he is not called up), Miller and this bloke as the five options at back row. Maybe Wynne comes back north to Glasgow instead.

Glasgow could do with some signings though. Losing Hogg, Dunbar and Masaga from the payroll should more than cover the pay rises for G Horne, Hastings and J Gray, and signing Davidson.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Mar 2019, 1:47 pm

Oh and Hamilton has so far only signed till the end of this season (don't recall seeing anything suggesting otherwise) so could also be coming in to replace him.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 13 Mar 2019, 3:34 pm

Eejit wrote:So Edinburgh get all the SRU funding they could need, a new stadium, all the new signings and the easiest champions cup group ever conceived and they're still heading for Challenge Cup rugby next season. Meanwhile Glasgow lose all their big money players but bringing excellence through the academy and sitting top of their conference well on their way to a second title.

That’s a warriors forum / social media kind of post – we’re above that on here! Very Happy

I didn’t realise that Lyon and Blues were a tougher proposition than 3 times Champions Cup winner and richest team in the world Toulon and 2018 Top 14 table topper and runner up, and similarly financially endowed Montpellier… Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 3:38 pm

it all went wrong for Glasgow trying to get a home Q/F final because they failed to "meet Saracens aff the bus"

Thankfully for Glasgow, Edinburgh were able to gift wrap a place in the Q/Fs for them. We never did receive a formal thank you letter from Glasgow (jimbo, as the only Glasgow fan with decent penmanship, must have been busy)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 13 Mar 2019, 3:50 pm

RDW wrote:That’s a warriors forum / social media kind of post – we’re above that on here!  Very Happy

I didn’t realise that Lyon and Blues were a tougher proposition than 3 times Champions Cup winner and richest team in the world Toulon and 2018 Top 14 table topper and runner up, and similarly financially endowed Montpellier…  Whistle

On reflection it needed more feigned indignation in it for it to be considered a proper tribute to the kind of desperados that populate that cesspit of a forum. I could have done better was I not on the train at the time I think. Social media though is a different kettle of fish entirely - these people walk among us. Scary stuff.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 13 Mar 2019, 4:18 pm

Eejit wrote:
RDW wrote:That’s a warriors forum / social media kind of post – we’re above that on here!  Very Happy

I didn’t realise that Lyon and Blues were a tougher proposition than 3 times Champions Cup winner and richest team in the world Toulon and 2018 Top 14 table topper and runner up, and similarly financially endowed Montpellier…  Whistle

On reflection it needed more feigned indignation in it for it to be considered a proper tribute to the kind of desperados that populate that cesspit of a forum. I could have done better was I not on the train at the time I think. Social media though is a different kettle of fish entirely - these people walk among us. Scary stuff.

The bright side is face to face, most folk are pleasant as society has levels of expectations on how to behave. Unfortunately, when hidden behind a screen, many folk revert to complete Neanderthal levels of common decency. For example, I’m pretty sure that GC is actually a nice bloke in the real world!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 13 Mar 2019, 7:34 pm

What are you lavender scented, frilly lace wearing Luvvies chuntering on about?

I've been too busy to post this week but I get withdrawal symptoms when I'm not disparaging you on a regular basis.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Mar 2019, 6:02 am

tigertattie wrote:it all went wrong for Glasgow trying to get a home Q/F final because they failed to "meet Saracens aff the bus"

Thankfully for Glasgow, Edinburgh were able to gift wrap a place in the Q/Fs for them. We never did receive a formal thank you letter from Glasgow (jimbo, as the only Glasgow fan with decent penmanship, must have been busy)
It'll be delivered through your living room window very soon. You can keep the brick.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 14 Mar 2019, 9:22 am

George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:it all went wrong for Glasgow trying to get a home Q/F final because they failed to "meet Saracens aff the bus"

It'll be delivered through your living room window very soon. You can keep the brick.

See, told you that GC was probably a nice bloke in real life!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Mar 2019, 9:34 am

tigertattie wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

See, told you that GC was probably a nice bloke in real life!
It's the gentrifying effect of Dubai. Now I could walk into any bar in the Edinburgh Old Town and it would take them at least half an hour to work out that I'm scruff and eject me. 40 minutes on a good day.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:59 am

Anyone seen an early teamsheet yet? normally start to float around at this time!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 14 Mar 2019, 12:12 pm

tigertattie wrote:Anyone seen an early teamsheet yet? normally start to float around at this time!

Horne P out for Johnson

Skinner, Watson and Bradbury back row

JG given the week off

According to Robertson in the Daily Fail, he is usually right!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 Mar 2019, 12:19 pm

Tell you what, the Edinburgh forwards are going to be absolutely done in after this 6N.

I know we'll not get any sympathy from Glasgow fans on this, but given that they tend to play 80 minutes most weeks for Edinburgh as well it's not ideal for our end of season run in.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 14 Mar 2019, 12:27 pm

How do we think Bradbury has been playing? Quite a big thing to drop him instead of Ritchie. Then again, hasn't Ritchie played every game? He must be wrecked if he has.

Was surprised to see him top of the carrying stats for the last game.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 Mar 2019, 12:30 pm

Bradbury topped carrying, metres made and tackles against Wales, and was up there against France. He made a few mistakes against France but was more solid against Wales.

He's not doing anything standout but his numbers are pretty decent. Worth remembering he's still inexperienced at this level, plus is only just back from long term injury.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 14 Mar 2019, 12:34 pm

So long as Toonie has spoken to Ritchie and made it absolutely clear that he's not been dropped but he's been rested due to the effort he's put in during all the other games then I have no issue with the choice.

If Ritchie has been dropped to accomodate Skinner who doesnt even play No 8, then I'll be left wondering again if Toonie has lost the plot!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 14 Mar 2019, 6:53 pm

In clubland, Barclay has been added to Edinburgh's euro squad which is a good indicator for his imminent fitness.

SHC has joined Harlequins on loan and is straight into their euro squad. Think it's fair to say he's not rejuvenated his career like Barclay did moving down there, which is a shame as at the end of  his last season he was actually in really good form for Edinburgh. Hopefully his career doesn't fizzle out - he's a talented player who could be a real asset to a team if he can find one where he fits in.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 14 Mar 2019, 7:09 pm

In another bit of good news CDP is back in the Worcester squad, so seems to have recovered from his horrific injury.

Barclay and Bennett back in Edinbugh squad

Fagerson and Gibbens back for Glasgow as well

SHC may be more comfortable in London than Llanelli, he is a city boy at heart, sheep clearly do not do it for him!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 15 Mar 2019, 12:56 pm

SHC could still have a Scotland future. I still say wee George is the future, but SHC shouldbe his likely alternative. Wee Horne is the rapid attacking scrummy and SHC is the more game managing better kicking scrummy so gives an alternative.

Frodo will be going after the W/C I think and Ali Price is just keek at the moment.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 15 Mar 2019, 2:00 pm

why is it so quiet on here? Is everyone busy building their pillow forts for tomorrow?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 15 Mar 2019, 2:13 pm

tigertattie wrote:SHC could still have a Scotland future. I still say wee George is the future, but SHC shouldbe his likely alternative. Wee Horne is the rapid attacking scrummy and SHC is the more game managing better kicking scrummy so gives an alternative.

Frodo will be going after the W/C I think and Ali Price is just keek at the moment.

Probably fair to say SHC is pretty far down the list just now given he's been farmed out on loan to a team he's only just moved to!

He's got the ability certainly, but he's got a lot of work to do to get back into the Scotland setup.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 15 Mar 2019, 2:42 pm

Apparently finlay christie is our future!

Quins is a good club for SHC, hopefully he can make that move permanent, plenty of people to learn off of.

I don't need to build a pillow fort, mine is a permanent feature during the 6Ns and WC

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 15 Mar 2019, 2:59 pm

He's had 6 turn outs for the Canes and at 23 I think he should be pushing on a bit more. He's not playing age grade international rugby from what I can see and G Horne is just electric in my opinion (with a decent pass) so it's still wee Dod for me Hug
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 15 Mar 2019, 3:27 pm

That was said with tongue firmly in cheek

Agree wee Horne is our future 9!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 16 Mar 2019, 2:22 pm

Italy currently playing like Scotland.

Rotten execution and not taking kicks leaving themselves behind
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Mar 2019, 4:01 pm

Watching France and Ireland today you've really got to wonder how we didn't beat them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 16 Mar 2019, 4:20 pm

More fool us Ross. Even wales aren’t doing anything special. Just letting Ireland make mistakes.

This whole power shift to the NH nonsense was clearly a blip
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 16 Mar 2019, 4:22 pm

Using real names now??  Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 16 Mar 2019, 4:28 pm

Well at least we're not the only gash team this tournie. Have to say Wales deserve it more than the rest they just play smart rugby

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 16 Mar 2019, 4:41 pm

Sorry, flounder boy is right. Ireland are rotten, we’re just worse
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 16 Mar 2019, 5:18 pm

Stuff this. I’m putting dancing on ice on
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 16 Mar 2019, 5:47 pm

“Hi. It’s me.

Look, I know we didn’t part on good terms but I’ve been thinking that maybe I was too hasty. I miss you. I can’t go on without you. Do you think we can pick up where we left off?

Please Vern, I really need you.”
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 16 Mar 2019, 7:31 pm

Wash your mouth out Tattie boy. The Toonie "lure them into a false sense of security" gambit is taking shape nicely.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 16 Mar 2019, 8:50 pm

I’m not sure jimbo. The more I think about it more I feel disappointed that we couldn’t win that match.

We had England on the ropes and we took our foot off their throat by making 4 tactical substitutions after our 4th try. It killed our momentum.

It’s akin to the Q/F loss to Oz in the last World Cup. We put ourselves in a position to win only to to balls it up with silly play at the death.

For all the keek we’ve played this 6ns, had the boys held on for the win they’d have gone down in history as the biggest come back winners and the first Scottish team to win at twickers for 35 years. But we didn’t hold on for the win.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next