The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors Sarurday 13th April 2019

+4
RDW
Eejit
jimbopip
BigGee
8 posters

Go down

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors Sarurday 13th April 2019 Empty Leinster v Glasgow Warriors Sarurday 13th April 2019

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Apr 2019, 12:57 am

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 13th April
RDS
Dublin

KO 15.00

Live on Premier Sports

So the season comes to its penultimate round and Glasgow cross the Irish see to play Leinster in Dublin.

Both sides are top of their respective conferences, though Glasgow still have some work to do to remain in that position by the end of the season. Leinster are however guarenteed to top theirs, whatever the results of the last two games.

Normally this would be a full on affair between two good sides, but it may be slightly complicated by the fact that Leinster have a euro champions semi final against Toulouse the following weekend. Leinster have traditionally targetted this competition as their main focus of the season and they may be reluctant to put out a full strength team in what is likely to be a bruising game bearing in mind it will not effect them getting a home semi final in the Pro 14 knockouts. On the other hand they already rested a few last weekend and consequently dropped points to Benetton, so may feel some of the team need a good hit out.

Glasgow are not going to have any such qualms and after refinding their mojo with a convincing win over Ulster last weekend will be going full stregth and full on to get another win and to hang onto top spot. Their players will get the following week off, so there is no reason not to flog them through this match.

Dublin traditionally has not been a happy hunting ground for Glasgow though and we have lost many big games there over the years. Still last weeks performance will have cheered them up and given them hope. I think we may see a team something along the lines of this:

1. Keeble - went off injured last week, but will surely start if fit
2. Brown
3. Fagerson Z - starting to show signs of his early pre injury form against Ulster
4. Gray J - looking more like his old self
5. Harley
6. Ashe
7. Gibbins - if fit, Fusaro if not
8. Fagerson M
9. Price
10. Hastings
11. Seymour - again his best game in a long time last weekend
12. Johnson
13. Jones H - was warming up with the team last week, can't be far away, if not then Steyn
14. Steyn - Niko if Steyn plays centre
15. Hoggy

Subs

Bhatti - Allen if Bhatti starts
Stewart
Nuke
Cummings
Fusaro/Tevita
Horne G
Horne P
Niko/McDowell/Nairn

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors Sarurday 13th April 2019 Empty Re: Leinster v Glasgow Warriors Sarurday 13th April 2019

Post by jimbopip Tue 09 Apr 2019, 3:47 pm

Gee, I noticed that someone on the Glasgow Warriors Forum posted this earlier. Headscratch Whistle

1. Keeble - went off Friday but assume OK
2. Brown
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gray J - looking more like his old self
5. Harley
6. Wilson or Ashe
7. Gibbins / Fusaro
8. Fagerson M
9. Price
10. Hastings
11. Seymour
12. Johnson
13. Jones H assume back if not then Steyn
14. Niko if not Steyn
15. Hoggy

Subs

Bhatti - Allen if Bhatti starts
Stewart
Nuke
Cummings
Fusaro/Tevita
Horne G
Horne P
McDowell/Nairn/Steyn

I assume all similarities are purely coincidental. Or has DR become too predictable in his selections? thumbsup

I didn't think Kebble was injured: I thought he was hooked for being the proverbial penalty magnet. He certainly was actively seeking a card. I also think Rae and Allen could do with a run out. As, if The Annual Slaughter Of The Effeminates is a must win for both sides then young Jamie Bhatti is in a pretty invidious position. Also, if DR picks the same front row and replacements for the next two matches and players get injured then we are looking at including players in the play-offs who haven't played in weeks an weeks.

Likewise, I think we'll see That Try - Seaman start in the centres and Furra-Linee - Not A Show Pony replace them before anyone gets injured.

I'd be happy with BBB- Ickle Jonny-Cummings sharing the boiler room duties in whichever order DR fancies, but if one gets injured then who do we call up? Possibly time to give McDonald a bit of game time?

If Benetton turn over Munster Yahoo and we scrape any kind of win then I can see a second XV against the Luvies

1. Jinksy Allan
2. Bryce
3. D'Arcy Rae
4. McDonald
5. Cummings
6. Batman
7. Cully
8. Tevita
9. Wee Horne
10. Thompson
11. Nairn
12. Lord Stafford
13. Not A Show Pony
14. Niko
15. Jacko

All players who may be called on for the play-offs, most of whom need some game time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Leinster v Glasgow Warriors Sarurday 13th April 2019 Empty Re: Leinster v Glasgow Warriors Sarurday 13th April 2019

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Apr 2019, 4:08 pm

I could see a bit of gentle rotation against the luvvies if we were to be automatically qualified for a home semi, but not much more than that.

Firstly, we definitely don't want to lose to Edinburgh again and also, as we discovered last season, momentum is everything at this time of year. We are in the fortunate position that we will have natural weeks off built in now we are out of Europe, so we should try and use that to our advantage. It may come back to haunt both Leinster and Munster or anyone else we might play in the semis if we qualify automatically.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 09 Apr 2019, 4:24 pm

As much as I could not care less about the manufactured rivalry with Edinburgh, Glasgow cannot be seen to lose to them again. They caught us cold twice earlier in the season to win the who the hell cares Cup and we cannot allow the sweep. We know Glasgow have a better squad and the pedigree to go with it to win trophies that they just don’t, and I’d really like to see the team cut loose and put the hammering on the luvvies we know they deserve.

Of course it may not matter if we beat Leinster and Munster rotate too much against a very game Benetton which may very well happen. But still, keep to the system and keep in the habit of winning games and we’ll be in the final at the end of May.

On a couple of miscellaneous thoughts, Hogg should be playing every game from now on. We have a finite amount of minutes left with a world class fullback for the foreseeable future and we should milk it for every second he’s worth.

Should we be worried about Kebble’s penalty count?

We should scrap the construction of the 606 DTH statue and build a Kyle Steyn one instead.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 09 Apr 2019, 8:32 pm

CJ Stander is currently away on holiday according to Instagram, which may answer how seriously Munster are taking the Treviso trip.

Good for Glasgow, bad for Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 09 Apr 2019, 8:35 pm

Eejit wrote:As much as I could not care less about the manufactured rivalry with Edinburgh, Glasgow cannot be seen to lose to them again. They caught us cold twice earlier in the season to win the who the hell cares Cup and we cannot allow the sweep. We know Glasgow have a better squad and the pedigree to go with it to win trophies that they just don’t, and I’d really like to see the team cut loose and put the hammering on the luvvies we know they deserve. It looks like whatever way the results go in Conference B The Luvvies will still need to beat us to have any chance of a home semi. he Likeliest outcome is they're at Thomond. I have a feeling that we are going to win in Dublin, so the match against them will be irrelevant.

Of course it may not matter if we beat Leinster and Munster rotate too much against a very game Benetton which may very well happen. But still, keep to the system and keep in the habit of winning games and we’ll be in the final at the end of May. Ickle Jonny's resurgence into his best form would seem to argue that some players can benefit from enforced rest.  If Batman, Pony and Cully are fit then they will need to play before the semi in order to be match fit, which will entail some resting of players.

On a couple of miscellaneous thoughts, Hogg should be playing every game from now on. We have a finite amount of minutes left with a world class fullback for the foreseeable future and we should milk it for every second he’s worth. He could end up being over-hyped; last 1872 match, last league match at home, last ever game at home (the semi) he might be emotionally drained before the final (if we get there). Better to rest him if at all possible.

Should we be worried about Kebble’s penalty count?Yes, yes and fecc me but we should be.

We should scrap the construction of the 606 DTH statue and build a Kyle Steyn one instead.
Save the cement for building a wall: you'll need it when Scotland stays in the EU and the newly impoverished Engerlanders start flocking North .

And Jimbo faffs up the quote function again picard

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Apr 2019, 9:26 pm

RDW wrote:CJ Stander is currently away on holiday according to Instagram, which may answer how seriously Munster are taking the Treviso trip.

Good for Glasgow, bad for Edinburgh!

It was always going to be very difficult to play on two fronts and with their history and love of the euro cup, they were always going to make that their first priority. They will be able to have another crack at the league if they go out of Europe, even if they have to go and play in Dublin as runners up.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 10 Apr 2019, 9:20 am

Huw Jones looks like he will be back in fitness for this game.

Gibbins not so, they are looking at the Edinburgh game to get him back.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 10 Apr 2019, 9:31 am

Will Jones even get back in the team?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 10 Apr 2019, 9:40 am

RDW wrote:Will Jones even get back in the team?

I think he will, Steyn will move out to the wing and then probably back in to centre later in the game if and when Jones runs out of steam. We will need him in the playoffs and need to get him back involved and up to speed.

Shuggy must be one of our highest paid players now and for various reasons, we have not seen the best of him yet in a Glasgow shirt. He needs to start putting in some performances as well, as despite having plenty of credit in the bank with Toonie, a few others are really putting up their hands at 13 now and he will have to be playing well to get into the squad now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 10 Apr 2019, 10:14 am

Jones really has had no luck while at Glasgow, i'd probably have him on the bench and get him on at the 50 min mark - he really needs to start getting a run of games.

Here is my team for the weekend:

Kebble
Broon
Handbags
Gray
Harley
Ashe
Fusaro
Fagerson

Horne
Hastings
Seymour
Johnson
Steyn
Nairn
Hogg

Bhatti
Stewart
Nicol
Cummings
Tevita
Price
Horne
Jones

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 10 Apr 2019, 8:35 pm

I missed the Ulster game but surely they will not shift much from that team? From the match report, it sounded as if it was a dominant performance. H Jones should come back onto the bench as the 23 as he is simply too talented and we need him ready for the playoffs.

Be interesting to see what Leinster put out for this game. They have not exactly lit the world on fire recently with their performances and wondering whether they put out a close to first choice 23 to knock off the rust.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:47 pm

So, two things of interest today; Munster are putting out a B team against Benetton, Seaman and Lord Stafford are sharing the Warrior of the month award.

Firstly, any kind of win in Dublin means a home semi for us. Even a LBP puts us four points ahead and another LBP at home to the Luvvies would be sufficient.

Secondly, who would have predicted at the start of the season that those two would be Warriors Of The Month and looking good for the initial "let's have a look at you" World Cup squad?

I think this might be a good weekend.Very Happy

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 11 Apr 2019, 5:27 pm

jimbopip wrote:

Firstly, any kind of win in Dublin means a home semi for us. Even a LBP puts us four points ahead and another LBP at home to the Luvvies would be sufficient.

You are missing out on one relatively important assumption there Jim, Munster have still got to lose to Benetton!

I am going to reserve judgement until I see the Leinster line up, then reserve it again until full time!

Optimism and results going the right way is not a good combinations in Scottish rugby or sport in general!

It would not surprise me if this season still has a few twists and turns in it yet!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 11 Apr 2019, 6:14 pm

Fair point Gee. It is always good to remember Damon Runyon's maxim that, "Long ago I am coming to the conclusion that everything in life is 6/4 against".

However, Benetton aren't likely to win the Pro 14 this season and will probably see this match as their big chance to achieve something unique in the club's history. Munster, on the other hand, are clearly prioritising Europe. IF I was a betting man I think my bawbees would be invested in a home win.

Mind you, even if Munster lose then they will be at home to the third placed team in Conference B : probably the Luvvies which they would probably feel confident about winning.

One way or another I think this game means more to Benetton, and so the door is open for Glasgow to boost morale and create some real momentum by winning on Saturday. Or losing by five points while scoring four tries....2 points. Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:14 pm

Team's oot Wink

15 Stuart Hogg

14 Tommy Seymour
13 Kyle Steyn
12 Sam Johnson
11Nikola Matawalu

10 Adam Hastings
9 Ali Price

1 Jamie Bhatti
2 Fraser Brown
3 Zander Fagerson
4 Scott Cummings
5 Jonny Gray
6 Robert Harley (Captain)
7 Chris Fusaro
8 Matt Fagerson

Substitutes

16 Grant Stewart
17 Alex Allan
18 D'arcy Rae
19 Bruce Flockhart
20 Adam Ashe
21George Horne
22 Peter Horne
23 Huw Jones

The bench is the most interesting part of this selection.

I would expect the front row to be swapped asap, 60 minutes at the latest- earlier if we're winning.

BBB to second row and Jonny off asap with Arthur replacing Younger Fagerson and FlockhartWallpaper at 6.

Also, both half backs off asap for Horne&Horne.

I also have a sneaky feeling we may see Seaman and Pony in the centres and That Try rested sooner rather than later.

Of course all of the above is predicated on us going into an earlyish lead. The ball is well and truly on the slates if we're dragged into a dogfight.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:18 pm

Them censored

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):
15. Rob Kearney (206)
14. Jordan Larmour (34)
13. Joe Tomane (11)
12. Robbie Henshaw (32)
11. Dave Kearney (133)
10. Ross Byrne (66)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (69)
1. Ed Byrne (41)
2. James Tracy (89)
3. Michael Bent (120)
4. Devin Toner (227)
5. Jack Dunne (4)
6. Josh Murphy (19)
7. Seán O’Brien (123) CAPTAIN
8. Caelan Doris (13)
16. Seán Cronin (168)
17. Cian Healy (203)
18. Tadhg Furlong (97)
19. Will Connors (3)
20. Max Deegan (40)
21. Hugh O’Sullivan (12)
22. Ciarán Frawley (12)
23. Adam Byrne (51)

A few names there I'm not too familiar with. Any of the Ladyboys' fans care to enlighten us?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Apr 2019, 1:16 pm

It certainly does not look like a bad Leinster team (if such a thing exists?)

Looks like he has rested a few and put some muscle on the bench if it is needed later on in the game.

Glasgow certainly not going to be given this one, we will have to earn it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 12 Apr 2019, 2:01 pm

It is a strange Leinster team. I guess Toner and Henshaw are in to get match practice before next week. The pack is a real mix; the back five is a real question mark. The backs are good but no real high quality replacements outside of wing with Adam Byrne.

Not pleased with Harley at six, but it is a good 23. Steyn has rapidly become vital to our chances and the sacrifice of Dunbar has proven worthwhile

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 13 Apr 2019, 3:20 pm

What. A. Try.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 13 Apr 2019, 3:46 pm

We are warriors. We are warriors

Am I getting away with it?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 13 Apr 2019, 3:48 pm

tigertattie wrote:We are warriors. We are warriors

Am I getting away with it?

Aye, you're a prosaic tale of family life in Essex away from being Jimbo.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sat 13 Apr 2019, 4:49 pm

Job done in the end, but Leinster certainly didn't make it easy.

All that's left to be done is beating the perfumed ones and its a home semi, thanks very much.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 13 Apr 2019, 4:56 pm

Oh my goodness, I have been following this on twitter at work

I can't wait to get home to watch it tonight.

What an effort by the boys, apparently Gray made 41 tackles and missed none! I think it is safe to say that the real Johnny Gray stood up today!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 13 Apr 2019, 5:13 pm

Well, after the mince we've had to endure this weekend that was a superb match.

Negatives

Fozzie and That Try both went off fairly early: Fozzie looked like a tweaked hamstring up near the gluteus maximus, couldn't see what was amiss with That Try. Let's hope DR was just being cautious.

Positives

Where to start?
The scrum which repelled the Ladyboys like Mrs Doyle protecting her virtue.
Aldi Price having his best game since...well since the demolition of Ulster.
Wee Horne scoring of a lightning quick interception just after Hogg had denied him a certain try.
Furra Linee and Not A Show Pony getting game time before the play offs.

BUT ABOVE ALL LITTLE JONNY. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo He's back. He should lead the team out next week to Muddy Waters singing "Got my mojo working..."

Next week will be totally weird; we are three points ahead of Munster who play the Craggy Islanders. Both teams are in the play offs and Munster can't be caught. Will they both put out second strings? Will Munster empty the tank and hope we feel sorry for the Luvvies and gift them the win? Headscratch

All I know is that right now the Warriors will be feeling that if they can win in Dublin (when did we last do that? Probably before Tigertattie started dreaming about having a Glasgow jersey to call his own) they can beat anyone in the final.

BELIEVE.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 16 Apr 2019, 5:14 am

Just thought I'd pop in to say a quick welldone to Jonny Gray.

Opta tweeted he made 43 tackles in this game and missed none. No one else in any pro comp (Prem, T14, SR etc) has EVER made more then 34 tackles in a match, so that is some achievement!!

And in a win as well.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down