The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+5
James100
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
king_carlos
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 10 Apr 2019, 3:34 pm

The champions are back in action ( feels good to type that} Very Happy
Surrey have named a 13-man squad for their Specsavers County Championship season opener against Essex at the Kia Oval, starting on Thursday 11th April.
Liam Plunkett could be in line for a first-class debut for the Club while Gareth Batty and Freddie van den Bergh return to the fold with the other 10 names all playing in last season’s title charge.
This will be the only game Dean Elgar will be unavailable in the county championship this season.
Amar Virdi, Jordan Clark and Jason Roy remain unavailable for selection with respective strains that prevented them from featuring in pre-season fixtures.  Sad  Sad Sam Curran’s ongoing participation in the Indian Premier League also prevents him from featuring.
There is no place in the squad for Jade Dernbach,Jamie Smith, Stuart Meaker,  Conor McKerr, Arun harinath or Guildford's boy  Wink  Matthew Dunn
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (captain)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rikki Clarke
Tom Curran
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Liam Plunkett
Ollie Pope
Mark Stoneman
Freddie van den Bergh
Going by the game against Durham MCCU last week and the weather being what it is in April you would expect Batty and burger van to miss out.
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by king_carlos Wed 10 Apr 2019, 3:42 pm

Afternoon all, I hope everyone is well prepared for what is a packed summer of cricket ahead. Thanks for the match thread jimbob!

1.Third Degree (c)
2.Rocky
3.Borthwick
4.Pope
5.That's All (wk)
6.Jacks
7.Patel
8.Currant
11.Morkell

That seems pretty nailed on with Batty, Burger Van, Plunkett and Clarke vying for two places.

Given the strength in depth of seamers I also expected a 4 man seam barrage early season so it's interesting that both Batty and Burger Van make the 13 man squad.

Perhaps Batty will be around the squad more as preparation for Burns missing CC games. There's masses of talent in the squad but not an abundance of captaincy experience.

McKerr, Dernbach, Meaker and Dunn not even in the 13. This is also the only CC game that Elgar is due to miss, Virdi to return and Jordan Clark yet to feature. Roy and Sam may even make some cameo appearances across the summer. It's a deep squad that Stewie has put together. clap clap

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS ESSEX SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 10 Apr 2019, 3:54 pm

I can't see Clarke not playing, so I'd say the real only decision is between Batty and Plunkett for the final spot - guess that may depend on weather forecasts and what they think the pitch will do...I would think they'll go Batty personally but we shall see
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 10 Apr 2019, 5:00 pm

Hi chaps - good to be back. Thanks from me as well, JimBob.

I think the players missing out will be two from Burger Van, Batty, Jacks and Patel.

4 front line seamers (Patel isn't a front liner) served us very well last season and I don't see Stewie and Diva changing that now.

Absolutely no way we'll play both Burger and Batty at this time of year. One at most with Batty and his experience favourite in my book. That still doesn't guarantee Batty making the eleven but I suspect he will. It gives us a proven spin option and much better than leaving the slow stuff to Jacks and Borthwick.

Given Patel made a ton against the Durham students last week, I think he might just squeeze Jacks out and take the remaining place.

Annoyingly, I'm in London for work stuff tomorrow although might be able to get along for the last hour. Definitely going all day Friday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 11 Apr 2019, 1:21 am

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast with Burger Van and Batty missing out.

Guildford has swayed me on the 4 seamer barrage used last season continuing.

Interesting thoughts on Patel or Jacks missing out, Mr Bat. I have a feeling with Elgar unavailable for this game we will see Patel and Jacks play for that touch more batting depth though. Particularly with Patel getting the century last week and Jacks playing for the Lions over the winter.

With Burns and Roy away during the summer those two will play important roles and I just have a feeling that Stewart and MdV will want them to get confidence early on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 11 Apr 2019, 8:23 am

Thanks JimBob. Very excited to have the Championship back.

I reckon the two spinners miss out, though like Guildford I'd rather see one of them play ahead of Patel/Jacks.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 11 Apr 2019, 10:39 am

Batty and Borthwick (failed late fitness test) miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 11 Apr 2019, 10:41 am

surrey win toss and bat

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Apr 2019, 10:58 am

Morning all! So the Burger Van squeezes into the last parking space for a game - not something I'd have expected!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:06 am

Pretty big match to start with really, if Surrey win this it almost eliminates Essex as competition and they were one of the few teams that could realistically challenge them.

There seems to be quite a feeling amongst the Surrey fans that Roy might miss almost the whole summer, presumably also playing in the Ashes? Ive seen the idea mooted of course but its still far from a done deal right? Id also see Curran as only a fringe candidate for the world cup squad having only played 2 ODIs and not done much in them. Even for the Ashes tests hes only one of a number of seamers who might get to play. Foakes too only a fringe candidate for any England call ups at the moment, and even if he has another good season Pope will only get a look in if theres a batting disaster in the early tests or injuries. Overall I dont see Surrey being unduly hit by England, Roy for the world cup and Burns for the Ashes the only certainties and they have plenty of cover.
Its only really the spinners thats a bit short because of the injuries (Batty showing his age maybe?), and frankly thats something thats less of an issue in the CC than it is in limited overs. The lack of quality overseas signings in the division this year means the competition is weaker, theres not many players around who stand head and shoulders above the county pros ...Siddle is one mind!

Good game to start the season with.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:35 am

This Essex commentator is truly awful

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:53 am

Burns gets reprieve - bad miss at second slip. 51-0. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 11 Apr 2019, 12:51 pm

Stoneman and Pope gone in quick succession. 86/3

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 11 Apr 2019, 3:57 pm

that's all picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:12 pm

223 - 4 at tea. A fine innings of 69 by Foakes after he was dropped very early on.

Watching the live feed I've been impressed with the way Patel and Jacks have batted for the 40 they've put on. Good opportunity for both to stake claim for regular batting slot. Jury still very much out (in my view) on whether Patel has enough to become a regular front line batsman. But his temperament seems very solid and well suited to a no 3 slot if he can just get enough weight of runs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 11 Apr 2019, 4:50 pm

Jacks and Patel batting very well, albeit in different ways.

It sounds like Jacks is timing it brilliantly but I hope he doesn't get carried away with the speed at which his runs are coming.

Surrey ideally need this pair to still be there for the second new ball arriving.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 11 Apr 2019, 5:04 pm

See an awful lot of Roy in the way Jacks bats - effortlessly powerful
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 11 Apr 2019, 5:30 pm

I can see the Roy similarities too in how Jacks strikes the ball. Such clean timing.

Patel and Jacks bring the 300 up clap

181-4 was a pressure situation with Clarke next in and two youngsters at the crease. They've dealt with the pressure very well indeed.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Apr 2019, 5:55 pm

Jacks falls an excellent 88 - batted really well. clap clap His highest score in county championship.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 11 Apr 2019, 6:34 pm

342 - 7 at the close. Surrey fell away badly at the end with Jacks, Clarke and Tom Curran falling in quick sucession near the end. Takes the shine off what was otherwise a good day for Surrey. Ryan Patel kept plugging away to finish on 70*. Have to hope we at least get the 4th batting point and maybe get as close as possible to 400. Jacks' innings was superb.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 Apr 2019, 8:16 am

I'd say Surrey are around 60/40 ahead in the game - got a good score on the board 1st dig, is always a good thing, but like Corporal says maybe just one too many wickets lost in that final session
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 12 Apr 2019, 9:47 am

Agree with Olly's 60/40 and the Corp's reservations.

Saw the last hour and a half y'day. Jacks was impressive - good timing and clean hitting largely along the ground. Took a fine delivery from old war horse Siddle to get him - on highlights I've just watched Churchy says he played on, I didn't think that at the time and am still not sure - certainly the ball nipped back in and took him by surprise.

Patel was resolute and a fine support for Jacks (as he had apparently been to Foakes before I arrived). However, he's a sticker rather than a grinder and so I don't expect too many more runs from him today with the tail. 20s from two of Plunkers, Fred and Morks would be very handy.

Wicket didn't seem to be giving many favours to the bowlers (Harmer stuck at it and deserved Curran's scalp during my time) but still think we should have enough for a lead of some sort. Everyone understandably worries about Cook but Essex are missing Bopara and Wheater which might cost them.

Going along now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:39 am

369 - 8.  Burger Van with a nice Colchester Cut moves on to 16.

Essex commentator bit of an old buffer.

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:40 am

James100 wrote:This Essex commentator is truly awful

I've just had to turn the stream volume off - he is absolutely incredibly awful. He's literally saying seamers never used to get injured in the 60's because as kids they walked to school...and is now saying it was better back then because players "played through injury" - to which Barran replied "well not a stress fracture" followed by five seconds of awkward silence....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:41 am

Lol Olly! Great minds - better in the olden days when children went up the chimneys!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:56 am

386 - 9 after 110 overs. No 5th batting point, but Surrey have done reasonably well to get close to 400.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:08 pm

Ryan Patel - 100* clap clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 12 Apr 2019, 2:45 pm

Plunkett bowling exclusively half volleys - weird tactic, might want to try something different Liam seeing as you're going at 10 an over
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 12 Apr 2019, 3:19 pm

that Essex commentator sounds like someone who listens to the Archers Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri 12 Apr 2019, 7:00 pm

Happy New Season everyone!

Probably still just about 60-40 Surrey after two days, but we could use a good first session tomorrow and a good first innings lead to press home the narrow advantage. Sounds like the kind of pitch where those willing to bide their time or naturally talented strikers of the ball can get in and score big. But the number of batsmen getting out for 30-70 suggests something in it for the more persistent bowlers.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Apr 2019, 8:27 am

Largely disappointing yesterday from a Surrey perspective.

The highlight was Ryan Patel making his maiden first-class century. Not the most fluent of innings but full of application. A lot of credit to him for that and not just his runs but those scored around his knock, especially by Foakes and Jacks. A small call out also to Morkel for reining himself in and sticking with Patel until he brought up his ton even though he did then immediately get out to a rash shot off the unflagging Harmer. A couple of wickets before that for Siddle to get a sixfer and deservedly stand out amongst the Essex attack.

The 40 minutes or so before lunch Morkel and Curran excelled with the ball and were both threatening from the off, especially Morkel who regularly had 4 slips and for a couple of balls even brought in a fifth to Cook. It did though seem that Sir Alistair and Carlos' man Browne would somehow survive until, like two buses along the Harleyford Road [see what I did there!], their wickets arrived almost together. Cracking catch from Foakes to account for Cook - his glovework was top notch throughout our time in the field.

From 21/2 at lunch, the tables then turned with Lawrence dominating the rest of the day's play with handy contributions from the rest of the Essex middle order. Rishti Patel [no, me neither] played some lovely crisp cover drives and looked in fine form until falling to Curran upon tea.

Even though Curran took a couple of wickets in the middle session, neither he or Morkel seemed as hostile after lunch. Clarke didn't look particularly threatening but at least kept it dry. Plunkett also wasn't threatening but didn't keep it tight either! Some filth from him in line with Olly's earlier post. Burger Van had just the one spell in which the conditions - it was bl**dy cold most of the day and got colder as it went on - were no help although he probably needed a bit more nip.

Very frustrating for play to end just after 5 o'clock due to bad light. The floodlights were on and everyone could see things well enough with there being no sign of danger to players. It might have been the right decision in terms of the regulations but it was a bad call as regards the game in the broadest sense.

Essex resume this morning 190 odd behind with 6 wickets left. That still leaves us ahead in my book. Essex have a bit of a tail - on loan keeper White at 7, Harmer at 8 and then the 3 seamers. However, we'll firstly need to knock off Lawrence and skipper Tendo who looked just as streetwise and canny as ever yesterday.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sat 13 Apr 2019, 2:05 pm

fantastic fightback for us today, Tendo with a majestic hundred and good support from on loan wickie white...harmer can bat too, hopefully can get some sort of lead.

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Apr 2019, 7:48 pm

wisden wrote:fantastic fightback for us today, Tendo with a majestic hundred and good support from on loan wickie white...harmer can bat too, hopefully can get some sort of lead.

Tendo is absolutely top class. He has incredibly astute judgement. His reading of a match situation and then doing exactly what is required is outstanding. He displayed that against Surrey at Guildford in 2017, at the Oval last year and again yesterday and today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 13 Apr 2019, 8:25 pm

Tendo is a top act. His loyalty to Essex has been admirable as well. At 38 years old he isn't a big draw now but going back to the beginnings of the 'T20 explosion' he was a very in demand player. Particularly in the days when he was a genuine all rounder - his T20 bowling figures are very respectable to go with a excellent batting stats across all three.

His time with Kolkata Knight Riders reduced his games played at Chelmsford but when he came back he'd slot straight in quickly and put big performances in when they needed him too.

Getting the lead tonight will have been a psychological boost for Surrey but barring something spectacular we are heading for a draw tomorrow. A good moving day for Essex though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 13 Apr 2019, 9:05 pm

king_carlos wrote:Tendo is a top act. His loyalty to Essex has been admirable as well. At 38 years old he isn't a big draw now but going back to the beginnings of the 'T20 explosion' he was a very in demand player. Particularly in the days when he was a genuine all rounder - his T20 bowling figures are very respectable to go with a excellent batting stats across all three.

His time with Kolkata Knight Riders reduced his games played at Chelmsford but when he came back he'd slot straight in quickly and put big performances in when they needed him too.

Getting the lead tonight will have been a psychological boost for Surrey but barring something spectacular we are heading for a draw tomorrow. A good moving day for Essex though.

Carlos - see what you did there. Wink thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 13 Apr 2019, 9:10 pm

Game looking like stalemate providing Surrey show plenty of application in the first session tomorrow. Plunkett's had a debut to forget so far...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 13 Apr 2019, 9:46 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Tendo is a top act. His loyalty to Essex has been admirable as well. At 38 years old he isn't a big draw now but going back to the beginnings of the 'T20 explosion' he was a very in demand player. Particularly in the days when he was a genuine all rounder - his T20 bowling figures are very respectable to go with a excellent batting stats across all three.

Carlos - see what you did there. Wink thumbsup

Hug Good to be creeping back into another summer!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Apr 2019, 2:01 pm

rory picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 14 Apr 2019, 2:58 pm

apart from siddle and harmer this  is a very poor bowling attack

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 14 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

Good batting by Burns, Pope and Jacks, tho the latter two rather gave away their wickets.

Essex commentator sounding fairly silly - can both sides agree that it's a draw but one side say that they would like to carry on to improve their over rate....Erm Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 14 Apr 2019, 4:55 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:apart from siddle and harmer this  is a very poor bowling attack

Hi JimBob - Porter was disappointing when I saw him on Thursday evening and Friday - two gifts down the legside in successive overs to Patel to steady his nerves in the 90s - but he deserves having a decent chunk of credit in the Essex bank.

As you suggest, Harmer and Siddle are top dollar. Harmer is especially valuable. Not only is he a wicket taking taking threat but he also puts in long spells and keeps it dry allowing the seamers to rotate.

In with your post, others - like Quinn and Sam Cook when selected - will need to chip in more. However, I wouldn't write anyone off at this stage. Also keep in mind that the track is pretty much a road.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Apr 2019, 5:18 pm

Matt Coles is a solid performer to come in and Sam Cook is a talented bowler. On Chelmsford wickets Ravi will pitch in with a Darren Stevens impression as well.

Essex undoubtedly need Porter to fire for that attack to challenge though.

Interesting that Porter came out to face the one over that Burns bowled. A strange end to the game!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 14 Apr 2019, 5:23 pm

Draw, Surrey 11 pts Essex 13 sounds about right to me. Surrey never really looked as if they would win, Essex - when Surrey went in again last night, and again when Surrey's first two wickets fell cheaply today - just might have felt they had a sniff. But none of the dramas of the last day of the same fixture last game last season. Ultimately, and how often do we said this about The Oval?, the pitch beat the bowlers.

Positives for Surrey
1/ Ryan Patel's mature classic No 3's knock in the first innings
2/ Will Jacks. Should we now be calling him Le Dauphin - the heir apparent to Le Roy king ?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 14 Apr 2019, 6:00 pm

Admittedly, these things have a habit of sorting themselves out with international call ups, injuries and personal situations but it'll be interesting what batting line up we go with for our next CC match, away to Somerset in a month.

Elgar will be with us then whilst Borthwick and Roy will hopefully both be fit.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Apr 2019, 7:07 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Admittedly, these things have a habit of sorting themselves out with international call ups, injuries and personal situations but it'll be interesting what batting line up we go with for our next CC match, away to Somerset in a month.

I was wondering that myself, guildford.

Burns will play and skipper. Pope will play as he's a match winner. Foakes will play and keep. Elgar will surely play but he has batted in the middle order for Surrey as well as opening successfully at the highest level.

I can't see Rocky being dropped as he's been very solid for Surrey but Elgar can open and Roy is rumoured to be in the running for a top 3 spot for the Ashes.

Jacks is a burgeoning talent. Patel has just scored a vital century from number 3.

Borthwick also got a century against Durham MCCU.

Unlikely that all will be available but someone will be unlucky to miss out that's for sure. I have been wondering whether the Baron will play a County Championship innings this summer.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Apr 2019, 8:32 am

king_carlos wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Admittedly, these things have a habit of sorting themselves out with international call ups, injuries and personal situations but it'll be interesting what batting line up we go with for our next CC match, away to Somerset in a month.

I was wondering that myself, guildford.

Burns will play and skipper. Pope will play as he's a match winner. Foakes will play and keep. Elgar will surely play but he has batted in the middle order for Surrey as well as opening successfully at the highest level.

I can't see Rocky being dropped as he's been very solid for Surrey but Elgar can open and Roy is rumoured to be in the running for a top 3 spot for the Ashes.

Jacks is a burgeoning talent. Patel has just scored a vital century from number 3.

Borthwick also got a century against Durham MCCU.

Unlikely that all will be available but someone will be unlucky to miss out that's for sure. I have been wondering whether the Baron will play a County Championship innings this summer.

It's quite the dilemma to have - albeit with the next match a month away, a lot of things (injury or otherwise) can happen between then - otherwise it is picked for me based on form, and you will have to factor in the One Day cup performances into that I'd say.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down