The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys 2019/20 Season thread

+14
Pie
RiscaGame
SecretFly
Breadvan
LordDowlais
No9
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
Irish Londoner
wayne
Brendan
TightHEAD
BigGee
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ospreys 2019/20 Season thread - Page 2 Empty Ospreys 2019/20 Season thread

Post by maestegmafia Fri 10 May 2019, 12:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Carl Hogg joins the Ospreys as forwards coach.

He seems to have done a good job with the Scottish u20s.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ospreys-appoint-ex-scotland-flanker-16251565

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 23 Jun 2019, 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Ospreys 2019/20 Season thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys 2019/20 Season thread

Post by Breadvan Mon 11 Nov 2019, 3:59 pm

The whole set up at the region stinks, from the top to the bottom. AC is totally out of his depth. Zero man management and tactical nous. Sherratt has the same one page backs coaching manual than his predecessor, minus a page. Altho poor Sam Davies was limited, we've replaced him with someone worse and have a guy in his mid 30s as back up. The returning Wales players won't fair much better under this hapless coaching staff.
A long time ST holder I usually see at the liberty reckons the region is tanking on purpose so the WRU have a excuse to bin us or for the Os to be swallowed up by the Scarlets. A bit extreme but that's how bad its gone. The fans forum on the official site has been deleted and tbf the OSC hasn't the time or resources to set up a new one. All the region seems to do is promote gash phrases like ourbloodisblack or as mikey posted itsinourDNA. What ? To be a fckin awful?
Munster will put 30/40pts on us on Sat... Sad
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 12 Nov 2019, 11:22 am

Just wondering, but how does a region tank on purpose and who makes that sort of call?

I think AWJ should take over as coach!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 12 Nov 2019, 11:36 am

mikey, I know this is an Ospreys thread, but for me, we should be talking about all 4 regions. Cardiff Blues were a joke on the weekend, playing against 14 men for an hour, Scarlets limping past Benneton, Dragons getting their regular humpings, although the Glasgow result was refreshing, and Ospreys seem to be imploding.

The attendances are down, the interest in the Pro14 is on the wane, no real exciting players coming through the ranks. I would argue that the English clubs are developing Welsh players better these days, especially Bristol.

News today that, Patchell and Jonathan Davies are out of the 6N, who is going to replace them ? Especially JD.

I honestly fear for the future of Welsh professional rugby, I really do, but all we seem to care about is how rubbish Ospreys are.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 12 Nov 2019, 11:44 am

LD, there's always the case to set up a new thread where we can whinge about the regions, or maybe just find an old one that's still open.

Edinburgh, Dragons played Edinburgh. They looked like a professional outfit for a change which is why it's pleasing. We came away with nothing again though.
Benetton are a genuine contender for the title and had some of their internationals drip back in - that was a good win but it wasn't perfect from Scarlets.
I agree on Cardiff, they were against 13 men at one point and kept going for goal. I think they'll continue to underachieve under JM whilst playing some good rugby - they would have to with that backline. Jarrod was actually good in his 12 cameo.

I'm usually critical of all 4 Welsh regions, but the Ospreys are a mess. They've had it all. A big stadium, money, a host of class players; and what have they done with it? Like others have said the whole set-up stinks and it's been that way for years. Even Cardiff or Dragons would've done better with those resources (except for the time Cardiff brought in Phil Davies; then Burnell and Baber).

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 16 Nov 2019, 11:23 am

Because of some of the ridiculous posts on these Forums I very rarely post on here anymore, but I want to show the difference between ourselves and Munster for the HC match later today.
Munster have 8 starting players that were involved in the recent World Cup with 1 other on the bench, we have 3rd and 4th choice players in a number of positions, wing, centre, second row and no8.
In a recent Q&A session with Directors, Coaches and a couple of players it was stated that 4 players would have a rest of 2 to 4 weeks, 3 of those players have been allowed to sit on the bench tonight Nicky Smith, BBBD and Aled Davies the 4th was Adam Beard, the other 4 players from the TW squad at the same World Cup AWJ, Tipuric, North and Owen Watkin would have a 4 to 6 week rest, if the figure was 6 weeks that would take in not only this match but away to Saracens next week and 2 fixtures against Racing 92 in December as well as a Guinness League game against Cheetahs in a couple of weeks, because of a crippling injury list Dan Evans, Keelan Giles, Luke Morgan, Cory Allen, Tom Botha, Sam Parry, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Baker, Ben Glynn, Will Griffiths James King and Gareth Evans are all missing now or have been for most of this season.
To expect any coaching staff to do much better than Allen Clarke and the rest have done so far this season is delusional. I'm expecting a thrashing this afternoon and just hope we at least give a good account of ourselves for 40 to 60 minutes.
Ymlaen Gweilch.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 16 Nov 2019, 11:50 am

Parry and Botha only got injured last week so that's BS. James King, Will Griffiths... these aren't really losses. The halfbacks and back 3 just look very poor; dropping balls, passes not going to hand, poor decision-making - seems like bad coaching. This isn't a new thing, it's been this way since Clarke came in. Well it was like it before Clarke really, but bringing him in just made the situation worse when it needed to be alleviated. Here is the lineup that already convincingly lost to Munster:
https://php7.ultimaterugby.com/match/munster-rugby-vs-ospreys-at-irish-independent-park-25th-oct-2019/82874/lineup

It's a good lineup so there's no excuses really, but this is what delusional fans do. I spoke to another one lately who told me Aled Davies was a very good player... and he was being serious. I hope things get better at Ospreys for Wales' sake, but I don't think that will happen until there are wholesale changes to the coaching team and directors board.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Nov 2019, 1:03 pm

wayne wrote:Because of some of the ridiculous posts on these Forums I very rarely post on here anymore

A fair view.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 17 Nov 2019, 9:49 am

wayne wrote:Because of some of the ridiculous posts on these Forums I very rarely post on here anymore, but I want to show the difference between ourselves and Munster for the HC match later today.
Munster have 8 starting  players that were involved in the recent World Cup with 1 other on the bench, we have 3rd and 4th choice players in a number of positions, wing, centre, second row and no8.
In a recent Q&A session with Directors, Coaches and a couple of players it was stated that 4 players would have a rest of 2 to 4 weeks, 3 of those players have been allowed to sit on the bench tonight Nicky Smith, BBBD and Aled Davies the 4th was Adam Beard, the other 4 players from the TW squad at the same World Cup AWJ, Tipuric, North and Owen Watkin would have a 4 to 6 week rest, if the figure was 6 weeks that would take in not only this match but away to Saracens next week and 2 fixtures against Racing 92 in December as well as a Guinness League game against Cheetahs in a couple of weeks, because of a crippling injury list  Dan Evans, Keelan Giles, Luke Morgan, Cory Allen, Tom Botha, Sam Parry, Gareth Anscombe, Dan Baker, Ben Glynn, Will Griffiths James King and Gareth Evans are all missing now or have been for most of this season.
To expect any coaching staff to do much better than Allen Clarke and the rest have done so far this season is delusional. I'm expecting a thrashing this afternoon and just hope we at least give a good account of ourselves for 40 to 60 minutes.
Ymlaen Gweilch.

Ridiculous Post!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 19 Nov 2019, 6:26 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50472508

I think he's given up, but has said "Oh alright mate I'll stay until the end of the year then."

What's Mark Anscombe up to these days? He is the best coach I can think of that Welsh teams could probably afford, and his son plays for Ospreys.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 19 Nov 2019, 9:22 pm

Marty McKenzie formerly of Super Rugby sides Blues, Crusaders and Chiefs, former NZ U20 and Maori signs for Ospreys for the rest of 2019/20 season. Good signing. If you can't/won't keep him on a long-term contract I hope one of the Welsh teams can snap him up. At least 3 of us could do with some more quality at 10.

I do recall myself saying that this Region needed to add players to lock forward and halfback before the season began.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 26 Nov 2019, 1:58 pm

Just been told Allen Clarke has gone, will we now get our promised World Class Coach, he should take Millward with him.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Nov 2019, 2:21 pm

Good news for the Ospreys in all honesty. That's where you need to start the rebuild, not by...*checks notes*...selling Tipuric ffs...

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 26 Nov 2019, 3:10 pm

Good call, about time it was made. Halfbacks and back 3 are problem areas for me, and you probably need someone who's not only quality but would have more availability than say... Liam Williams.

I mentioned it elsewhere but the likes of Allen, Aubrey, Cross, Aled Davies, Hook, Price and Volpi could probably be cut to afford a decent winger. I'd also beg McKenzie to become permanent.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 27 Nov 2019, 10:07 pm

What an amateur set-up, they clearly don’t know what they’re doing nor do they have contingencies in place. Millward has to go next.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 28 Nov 2019, 12:49 am

I think best thing Ospreys could do is get Mallinder. With Scotland currently.

Take their time and get it right

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 28 Nov 2019, 10:38 am

Not a bad shout, but if Millward is still in you can guarantee he’ll make the groundskeeper head coach. It’s been over 30 hours and they still haven’t given a statement. Shocking.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Dec 2019, 8:17 pm

I’m reading that Mike Ruddock has joined the O’s on a consultancy basis. Short term to the end of the season (I think) to help out Sherratt and Hogg, and to be part of the review they’re carrying out into their rugby operations.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 02 Dec 2019, 8:32 pm

I don't understand this appointment. Ruddock can't work miracles within a month.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 02 Dec 2019, 8:35 pm

I’m not sure what Mike can offer really. I just feel like the game has moved on a little, since he had a high profile job. I suspect it won’t turn into anything more than a short term appointment and there probably wasn’t anybody else who could step into the role as quickly/easily, but it does seem like too big a gap between big jobs.

All the best to him and them.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Dec 2019, 9:21 pm

Yes, contrary to popular belief I want to see the Ospreys do well. Want to see all of the regions achieve well. Hope he does OK, but agree it’s been a while since he’s been in the top flight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:08 pm

Looks like possibly what they do in football now - bring someone in as an interim, if they do ok keep them on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue 03 Dec 2019, 6:07 am

whats the sp on this 'conduct' issue with Clarke....did he lamp someone?

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 03 Dec 2019, 8:12 am

Pie wrote:whats the sp on this 'conduct' issue with Clarke....did he lamp someone?

Ask Ulster fans about him. I thought they said before that he used to fall out with a lot of players.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 03 Dec 2019, 9:32 am

Ruddock.  Well the only way is up for Ospreys it seems, and he might be a good enough steady pair of hands to manage that transition - fast or more measured slow.

Think he has enough stored rugby brain power in the tank to at least make them a more difficult nut to crack.  You have to get the foundation right to then ask for confidence from players to expand the horizons.

It's pointed that this guy Clarke was just out of his depth or players just put down tools on him to get rid of him..... it's been a known tactic before from teams that want a new boss.

I'd be surprised if things got worse under Ruddock

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:43 am

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/announcement-imminent-on-justin-tipurics-future-after-being-linked-with-numerous-high-profile-clubs

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 13 Jan 2020, 10:42 am

I see Hooks retiring, no great shock I suppose. His comments on it seem pretty honest, his hearts just not in the game anymore to keep taking the knocks. As a player he could have achieved more based on the skill levels and promise he showed at 21, but seemed like a spare part in many of Gatlands squads and never really nailed down a position with consistency. Still incredible he had 80something caps with the last being nearly 5 years ago and at his peak one of the most skilled backs in NH rugby. Perhaps just a bit too lightweight and focused on his earnings to achieve greatness (sums up Ospreys?) 

For the future of Wales and Ospreys its better to free up a spot at the region and in the team rather than continuing to pay a has been, but Im sure many of the fans will be sad to see one of the few remaining reminders of the glory days leave.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 13 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm

All the best to him, especially as a children's author. I wouldn't expect many transitions like that.

He was a very handy player at first for Gatland (2008), especially the Scotland home game. That is some amount of caps though yeah, considering it felt like he wasn't really a Gatland favourite.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Khouli Khan Mon 13 Jan 2020, 1:29 pm

RiscaGame wrote:All the best to him, especially as a children's author.

Sampson Lee might actually be able to understand them.

Khouli Khan

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 28 Jan 2020, 7:11 pm

A steady stream of excellent re-signings being announced in the last few weeks started with Owen Watkin and Adam Beard then Rhodri Jones yesterday, today Tom Botha has added another 2 years, as long as certain undersized and slow players are not added in the near future, there should be a foundation for our new coach when he's announced in hopefully the very near future.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 29 Jan 2020, 12:47 pm

Another re-signing announced today in Keelan Giles, very unfortunate with freak injuries to both knees in recent seasons, after recovering from one he injured the other in the first match of this season, added to the other 4 re-signings and the returning Rhys Webb things hopefully looking up after our Annus Horribilis.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 15 Feb 2020, 7:23 pm

I didn't see most of the game but well done Ospreys, it's a win! Both teams put out a solid outfit despite missing some international players. Ospreys need guys like Bradley Davies to keep standing tall, he was vey good from what I saw, as was Dan Lydiate. Adam Beard not so much.

A new coach incoming, a decent scrum-half, and hopefully a couple more personnel and you should have quite a formidable outfit. I'm not sure who your new coach will be. I heard the ex Lions coach mentioned, Dai Young also recently mentioned.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2020, 4:38 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I didn't see most of the game but well done Ospreys, it's a win! Both teams put out a solid outfit despite missing some international players. Ospreys need guys like Bradley Davies to keep standing tall, he was vey good from what I saw, as was Dan Lydiate. Adam Beard not so much.

A new coach incoming, a decent scrum-half, and hopefully a couple more personnel and you should have quite a formidable outfit. I'm not sure who your new coach will be. I heard the ex Lions coach mentioned, Dai Young also recently mentioned.

The team played well, can’t wait to have Anscombe and Webb as starting halfbacks.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 16 Feb 2020, 6:09 pm

There was definitely urgency there and that’s been missing. I don’t really rate the idea of bringing in Toby Booth, unless he’s forwards coach or something. I would still look for some kiwi influence but I forget who it was that were mentioned now. Dai Young would be a no from me, I’m sure he’d be welcome back at Cardiff though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Feb 2020, 9:45 pm

We will have to wait and see what happens but Booth isn’t a bad idea, he did well at LI

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 17 Feb 2020, 7:25 am

mikey_dragon wrote:There was definitely urgency there and that’s been missing. I don’t really rate the idea of bringing in Toby Booth, unless he’s forwards coach or something. I would still look for some kiwi influence but I forget who it was that were mentioned now. Dai Young would be a no from me, I’m sure he’d be welcome back at Cardiff though.

Why no on Big Dai? He's generally done well patching together a rather average pack at Wasps so their lineout is good and scrum passable. They play a lot of attacking rugby. Rumours are he's had run ins with those that decide who to sign at Wasps which is partly behind the fall out. I thought he'd be fairly ideal at Ospreys.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 17 Feb 2020, 7:59 am

I don’t think he’s done that well at Wasps. I don’t know I just think Dai has had his time here and would be better off in a different environment. I also think Ospreys need some expertise from overseas in their coaching setup. I’m sure Blues would welcome back Dai if he chose to go back there though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2