The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+4
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
Afro
jimbobgooner
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 May 2019, 2:30 pm

Surrey have named a 14-man squad for this week’s Specsavers County Championship match with Somerset, starting at Taunton on Tuesday.
Scott Borthwick could be line for his first appearance of the domestic campaign having been out since failing a fitness test with a side injury before the start of the Essex match last month. Rikki Clarke is also back after missing much of the Royal London One-Day Cup group stage with an open wound on his finger.
Sam Curran has been made unavailable by the ECB to allow him to rest after his stint in the Indian Premier League. mad mad mad Jade Dernbach (calf) is not yet fully fit while Tom Curran, Liam Plunkett and Jason Roy are all with England for the current ODI series against Pakistan.
There is no place in the squad for Amar Virdi, Jordan Clark or Matt Dunn.
FULL SQUAD
Rory Burns (c)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Rikki Clarke
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Conor McKerr
Stuart Meaker
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Freddie van den Bergh
Smith, Meaker and maybe Batty, but if it looks like Somerset have helped Leach out Wink then maybe Jacks
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Afro Mon 13 May 2019, 4:25 pm

Be interesting to see if Leach plays. Didn't show much sign on turn in the first CC game against Kent, but he is in the squad with only 2 to miss out.

Tom Abell (c)
Azhar Ali
Tom Banton
George Bartlett
Jack Brooks
Josh Davey
Steve Davies
Lewis Gregory
Tim Groenewald
James Hildreth
Jack Leach
Craig Overton
Marcus Trescothick

Struggling to pick who plays tbh. They could go with Banton to open and keep wicket following his recent one day form

Tresco/Banton
Azhar Ali
Hildreth
Abell
Davies/Banton
Barlett
Gregory
Overton
Davey
Leach/Groeneweld
Brooks
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 13 May 2019, 4:32 pm

Afro wrote:Be interesting to see if Leach plays. Didn't show much sign on turn in the first CC game against Kent, but he is in the squad with only 2 to miss out.

Tom Abell (c)
Azhar Ali
Tom Banton
George Bartlett
Jack Brooks
Josh Davey
Steve Davies
Lewis Gregory
Tim Groenewald
James Hildreth
Jack Leach
Craig Overton
Marcus Trescothick

Struggling to pick who plays tbh. They could go with Banton to open and keep wicket following his recent one day form

Tresco/Banton
Azhar Ali
Hildreth
Abell
Davies/Banton
Barlett
Gregory
Overton
Davey
Leach/Groeneweld
Brooks
cheers alfro OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 May 2019, 4:44 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

I didn't realise that Rikki Clarke would be back yet. That's particularly handy given the ECB's dreadful decision to make Sam Curran sit this one out. Why does he need to be rested? What is he being rested for? Not happy if you weren't aware!

After his good form in the RL 50 I think Batty is once more ahead of Fred in the pecking order and so reckon he'll play. My guess is that Fred will be on the bench along with Smith and Meaker or Jacks. I doubt that Somerset have produced a bunsen - they've just allowed Bess to go on loan to Yorks for a month to get some game time.

We have a load of bowling options for this game but only 3 front line seamers (I don't count Patel as front line) if Meaker is left out. 4 was key to our success last season and so I would be inclined to play the inconsistent Meaks. I acknowledge the risk but we need to give ourselves the best chance of taking 20 wickets.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 May 2019, 4:58 pm

Yep, thanks Afro - just seen your post.

Your boys were in good form in the RL 50 and, even though obviously a different format, must be full of confidence for this match.

As well as Bess, I see that Jamie Overton has also gone out on loan. That suggests a team sure of its players and what it is doing. I'll be surprised if Surrey win this one but that has to be our aim.

Btw, my guess (total guess) is that Leach will get the nod over Groenwald. Brooks, Davey, Gregory and the other Overton would seem seem to give you enough pace and seam options.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Mon 13 May 2019, 5:04 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Yep, thanks Afro - just seen your post.

Your boys were in good form in the RL 50 and, even though obviously a different format, must be full of confidence for this match.

As well as Bess, I see that Jamie Overton has also gone out on loan. That suggests a team sure of its players and what it is doing. I'll be surprised if Surrey win this one but that has to be our aim.

Btw, my guess (total guess) is that Leach will get the nod over Groenwald. Brooks, Davey, Gregory and the other Overton would seem seem to give you enough pace and seam options.

I think you are probably right, although if it isn't a real Bunsen, then we can use Azhar for his part time leg spin and play all of Banton, Banger and Davies. That's why I'm not sure.

In terms of confidence, two wins out of two in the County Championship too, they should be playing with plenty of the stuff. We are fed up with coming second in everything and are targeting the Championship this year, so this is a key game for that
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 May 2019, 5:57 pm

Afro - yeah, this could turn out to be a key game for you. Win it and Somerset have 3/3 whilst Surrey, last year's winners and pre-season favourites, will have 1 draw and 1 loss out out of 2. Even though early days, that'll still take some catching - at least by us!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 May 2019, 7:45 pm

Personally think we will go with

Burns
Stoneman
Borthwick
Elgar
Foakes (wk)
Jacks
Patel
Clarke
Batty
Morkel
McKerr/Meaker

Personally think the final spot comes down to McKerr/Meaker and not Meaker/Jacks. I can’t see them going in with Patel at 6 and Clarke at 7, with the four bowlers to follow...but we shall see!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 May 2019, 11:11 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

Personally think the final spot comes down to McKerr/Meaker and not Meaker/Jacks. I can’t see them going in with Patel at 6 and Clarke at 7, with the four bowlers to follow...but we shall see!

That was originally my kind of thinking although I feel McKerr is currently ahead of Meaker if it's a straight choice between the two.I certainly agree that playing Jacks and having him, Patel and Clarke at 6, 7, 8 gives the late middle order a much stronger look. However, we do need 20 wickets and I doubt that Patel will reproduce the same sort of heroics as he did against Somerset at Guildford last year - that's why I think Meaks is in serious contention for a place provided Stewie, MDV and Burns trust him enough. As for the batting, don't forget that Patel is our only century maker this season (bar Dubai) -so him at 6 may not be too bad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 May 2019, 8:55 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Surrey have named a 14-man squad for this week’s Specsavers County Championship match with Somerset, starting at Taunton on Tuesday.
Sam Curran has been made unavailable by the ECB to allow him to rest after his stint in the Indian Premier League.  mad  mad  mad  Jade Dernbach (calf) is not yet fully fit while Tom Curran, Liam Plunkett and Jason Roy are all with England for the current ODI series against Pakistan.
There is no place in the squad for Amar Virdi, Jordan Clark or Matt Dunn.

Meanwhile, the seconds are meant to be playing a one dayer today away to Glamorgan followed by a 3 day Championship match. Quite how they make the numbers up for that is going to be interesting. Particularly as most lads from the Academy will be doing exams. Needless to say, nothing on the website.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 May 2019, 10:37 am

Surrey go with Olly's eleven (no Meaker), win toss and inevitably bat.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 May 2019, 10:38 am

Now off to dentist. More pain there or here when I return?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 May 2019, 12:26 pm

Afternoon all! Surrey 72 - 0. Burns and Stoneman mostly solid so far. Steve Davies is back in the side for Somerset.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 May 2019, 12:49 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Surrey go with Olly's eleven (no Meaker), win toss and inevitably bat.

Glad to see me, Stewie, Diva and Burns are all in lockstep Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 May 2019, 12:52 pm

Stoneman 50* clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 May 2019, 12:55 pm

Churchy talking about possibilities for recall of Stoneman to England side at some point.  I can't see that happening.  As it happens he's just been caught behind for 50. Sad

Borthwick returning for Surrey at No 3.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Tue 14 May 2019, 1:49 pm

Two quick wickets for Somerset - Stoneman going to Brooks, and then Borthwick for 1 to Gregory
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 May 2019, 3:10 pm

Surrey up to 169 - 2. Steady accumulation by Burns and Elgar in a partnership of 70*. If I recall correctly, Elgar often seems to score around 40 for Surrey - would be good if he could carry on for a big score today.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 May 2019, 3:32 pm

Surrey 200 - 2 and a batting point. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 May 2019, 3:36 pm

Burns escapes after a horrendous dropped catch on the boundary. Earlier (on 42) he was dropped by Davies.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Tue 14 May 2019, 3:39 pm

Surrey going along nicely.

Elgar averaged high 40s for us in 2017 I think, with at least a couple of tons and a couple of fifties in a handful of games
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 May 2019, 5:23 pm

100 for Elgar Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 May 2019, 5:35 pm

JimBob probably still celebrating as Elgar goes lbw to a peach of a ball from Gregory. Somerset fighting back, as scoreboard shows 291/5.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 May 2019, 5:37 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Burns escapes after a horrendous dropped catch on the boundary.  Earlier (on 42) he was dropped by Davies.

Hi Corporal - just read that, didn't know that before. Cheered me up no end. Smile

PS Where's your brother in arms? AWOL?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 May 2019, 5:42 pm

awful again from Jacks Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 May 2019, 5:52 pm

last 4 wkts for only 30 runs steam

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 May 2019, 5:55 pm

306/6 off 88 now. Arguably Somerset's day, almost certainly if they can get another 1 or 2 wickets in the last 8 overs tonight.

I was saying on the RL 50 thread last night that Somerset are full of fight. Showing it again today. Their heads didn't drop when Burns and Elgar looked fully in charge and we've last our last 4 wickets for very few runs.

Btw, trust you guys know there's a match stream on the Somerset website.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 May 2019, 5:58 pm

Safe to say baby face will be replacing Jacks next week

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 14 May 2019, 6:25 pm

330 for 6 at stumps, as Guildford said earlier definitely somerset's day

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 14 May 2019, 6:35 pm

JimBob - I understand your frustration with Jacks but let's give him the rest of this match before we pick next week's team.

Decent work by Patel and Clarke to stick around and add a few in the last half hour. However, I can't help feeling we've let an excellent opportunity slip. 400 seems some way off and I'm not sure even that would be enough on this track at such a small ground. You would think all our 4 main bowlers will need to fire.

Fair play to Somerset. They stuck at it and got some rewards late on. Especially Gregory. Been doing some digging on him recently. Eight or nine years ago he was the leading light of the England u19 side and thought to be a real future star although probably more then for his batting.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurreyfan Tue 14 May 2019, 9:05 pm

Hi Guildfordbat, I’ve been lurking....but given the start Surry made in the One Day Cup, the pressures of work and other responsibilities...plus debating the merits or otherwise of Brexit on another forum, time seems limited these days...but I do hope to get up to Guildford or maybe the Oval later in the season! I’m also taking my other half to her first ever cricket match ..Sussex v Surrey at Hove in the 20 20 competition...I thought a whole day’s play at a county match was pushing my luck a bit too much!😛😛

chichestersurreyfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 14 May 2019, 9:38 pm

Evening Chichester!  

Disappointing that three of our front line batsmen were dismissed very cheaply.  Judging from the live stream in the earlier part of the day there didn't seem to be much in the pitch for the bowlers*.  Useful runs late in the day from Rikki Clarke mean that we should get a 4th batting point.  Hopefully Patel and Co can stick around for most or all of tomorrow morning and get our score at least reasonably close to 400.

* Just seen the interview with Rory Burns at the end of play - he said there was a bit of help for the bowlers if they bowled in the right areas....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 14 May 2019, 11:25 pm

To be honest I think that’s a good days play for Surrey - not as good as it could’ve been, sure, but certainly no disaster and still a chance to push on towards 400!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 15 May 2019, 8:54 am

Id agree Olly, you got to be happy with runs on the board. 400 might be pushing it a bit but at least they will have a total to play with.
The issue now is if the ancient bowling attack can take 20 wickets. Weather wise it should be good batting conditions for the next two days, with heavier cloud and a touch of moisture on Friday. In theory the day 4 pitch could be pretty tricky to bat on.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 9:41 am

''It was an all right day for us. You always want to be a couple less wickets down, but at the end of play we are pretty happy with the position.'' - Rory Burns as quoted on the BBC cricket page.

I regards that as a fair assessment. We have runs on the board and that can never be a bad thing. Note though Burns is not going overboard about the situation.

We are not in an obviously losing position after day one and that is a relief after the disasters of the RL 50. However, I would say we are only around a par position. 330/6 is rarely to be sneezed at - and I don't here - but we need to keep in mind the good batting conditions on a smallish ground.

The late order and tail plus our bowlers when they get the ball will clearly have the chance to change that par position. However, around par is how I see it currently and I don't think Burns disagrees too much.

We have oodles of bowling options but only 4 frontliners and, in line with Goose's post, 3 of them are aged between 34 and 41. That said, Somerset will still have to make their runs. An intersesting day beckons.

Goose - you will be delighted to know that on the Surrey website, Burns commented that he was pleased to get a hundred but was ''sorry not to go big'' (or something very similar). Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 15 May 2019, 10:04 am

I chalked yesterday down as Surrey's day before coming on here, so was surprised to see the comments saying the opposite. Whilst it is good batting conditions, we still need to score those runs, whilst you have then on the board.

My gut feel is it will fade out into a draw
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 10:24 am

Afro wrote:I chalked yesterday down as Surrey's day before coming on here, so was surprised to see the comments saying the opposite. Whilst it is good batting conditions, we still need to score those runs, whilst you have then on the board.

My gut feel is it will fade out into a draw

Hi Afro - with the excception of Olly, you need to take into account that most Surrey supporters are naturally pessimistic! Wink

PS I think there's also a large chunk of frustration and annoyance in our (Surrey supporters) comments at having fallen from 265/2 to 295/6 whilst you - probably more rightly - are looking at the score for the day as a whole.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 15 May 2019, 10:46 am

Laugh Fair enough.

Let's see how the morning goes! I think we look to maximise bowling bonus points first if we can.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 12:51 pm

380 all out. That was my minimum target on resuming at 330/6. Could even have been a fair few less than that as Clarke and McKerr (why he was at 11 behind Morkel and Batty?) put on 28 for the last wicket.

Leach bowled sensibly - no clear signs of turn but on a good line and not afraid to give it some flight - and got 3 wickets as a reward. Meanwhile, Gregory bowled beautifully at the start but picked up nothing further today. In his opening over he beat Patel twice and then had him dropped at second slip by Banger (got the Someset names, eh Afro? Wink ).

Good knock from Clarke but not much else from the Surrey batters today. A total for sure but still disappointing from being 265/2.

A wicket in the next 10 minutes would make lunch taste a lot better for the visitors ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 1:16 pm

Somerset 10/0 at the break. Both openers off the mark and will breathe easier as they tuck into lunch.

Somerset's morning although still hard - and probably not sensible - to make a call as to who has their nose in front at this stage. Both sides still have a lot to do .... I'm just concerned as to where we are going to get 20 wickets from by the end of Friday. There again, let's eat the elephant one bite at a time and see what happens in the next session.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 15 May 2019, 1:31 pm

clap Think that is probably a par score and finely balanced.

Sods law that we got the 8th and 9th wickets just after we passed the 110 overs
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 May 2019, 1:43 pm

gremlins today Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 1:53 pm

Afro wrote:clap Think that is probably a par score and finely balanced.

Sods law that we got the 8th and 9th wickets just after we passed the 110 overs

Yes, I was pleased about that. As well as being naturally pessimistic, most Surrey supporters also regard bonus points highly and dislike the opposition getting any - JimBob especially! Smile

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 15 May 2019, 1:58 pm

We lost the championship to Middlesex 3 years ago because of bonus point ultimately (and the contrived result between Middlesex and Yorkshire furious ) so to me I'm always looking to get as many possible
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 May 2019, 2:07 pm

Afro wrote:We lost the championship to Middlesex 3 years ago because of bonus point ultimately (and the contrived result between Middlesex and Yorkshire furious ) so to me I'm always looking to get as many possible
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 2:16 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:
Afro wrote:We lost the championship to Middlesex 3 years ago because of bonus point ultimately (and the contrived result between Middlesex and Yorkshire furious ) so to me I'm always looking to get as many possible
Laugh

JimBob - I don't think you were meant to Laugh at that! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 15 May 2019, 2:17 pm

Laugh
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 May 2019, 4:08 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:
Laugh

JimBob - I don't think you were meant to Laugh at that! Wink
Yikes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 15 May 2019, 4:26 pm

2nd wkt for McKerr the game is evenly poised

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 May 2019, 4:59 pm

185/4 with 20 overs left tonight.

A couple more wickets before stumps would be very handy. We look to be in the best seats atm but King Carlos' man Hildreth is approaching 3 figures whilst ex-Surrey keeper (when he got up and felt like it - see what I did there, Corporal? Wink ) isn't hanging about.

A lot of the bowling being done by Batty and Morkel. Understandable but the latter can only do short spurts.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next