The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Leo Cullen own goal

+19
LeinsterFan4life
eirebilly
Breadvan
RugbyFan100
RDW
Tramptastic
rodders
Irish Londoner
marty2086
geoff999rugby
LordDowlais
The Great Aukster
jimbopip
neilthom7
demosthenes
Pot Hale
Pete330v2
Collapse2005
Heuer27
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A Leo Cullen own goal  Empty A Leo Cullen own goal

Post by Heuer27 Sat 18 May 2019, 8:50 pm

This popped up on my Facebook feed. This we don’t need

https://mobile.twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1129782609779798016?s=19 warning

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

A Leo Cullen own goal  Empty Re: A Leo Cullen own goal

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:13 pm

Whats wrong with that?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:31 pm

Collapse he is trying to tap into sectarianism and use it to drum up support for Leinster in the final. On the same day we have a cup final involving one side of the sectarian divide in the same city. Hearts to a lesser degree fall on the other side of that divide.
I don’t know where you are from but i would hazard a guess it’s not the West of Scotland.
Like in Northern Ireland,we have murders in our city over this stuff. The Neanderthal element do not need encouragement. We don’t have sectarianism in rugby in Scotland and we don’t want it.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:39 pm

Thats one way of looking at it. Another is he is just looking for support from people who may see themselves as having a link to Ireland. Sectarianism in its worst form would be to encourage those he is looking for support from to hate his opposition. He isnt doing that at all. Im from Leinster.

That said I find it an odd thing to reference in a rugby interview.

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Sat 18 May 2019, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:42 pm

See this

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/pro14/i-believe-glasgow-are-all-rangers-supporters-leo-cullen-hopeful-celtic-faithful-support-leinster-in-glasgow-final-38124747.html

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:46 pm

Collapse I would imagine most people from this part of the world would see it as I have described. I can see your point but it doesn’t work like that here. The 17 th centuary was only last week for a lot of the population.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:46 pm

Would Glasgow rugby players be Rangers supporters?
I'd have thought there'd have been a mixture or both Celtic and Rangers.

Anyway I do sense a bit of a storm in a teacup coming. I dont think Plug has a full appreciation of the way things are in Glasgow. I for one find the entire Ranger / Celtic thing abhorrent and my few experiences with fans of both have left me utterly disgusted. To make any attempt to try and connect the two rugby sides with either soccer team is misguided at best, idiotic at worst.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:51 pm

I think Irish Celtic fans are just as bad. Half of them only support Celtic for political reasons. Never understood it myself.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Sat 18 May 2019, 9:58 pm

My experience of rugby players in general are that they are not particularly interested in football, even less so the unsavoury aspects attached to it here.
One of the major reasons I got into the sport was to distance myself from the religious issues in the city. The same with my children who until very recently were unaware of the problems still plaguing the country. My youngest ,who is still in primary school, has had lessons in the last few weeks explaining what sectarianism is.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 18 May 2019, 9:59 pm

Cullen has ruined it now for even talking about soccer. I'd say no Leinster fan will turn up now that Cullen has asked Scottish Celtic fans to turn up instead. I've cancelled my trip.

Congrats to Glasgow Rangers on winning the PRO14 Cup.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 18 May 2019, 10:01 pm

Is it really about religion or is it about cultural background and or social status?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 18 May 2019, 10:02 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Cullen has ruined it now for even talking about soccer.   I'd say no Leinster fan will turn up now that Cullen has asked Scottish Celtic fans to turn up instead.   I've cancelled my trip.  

Congrats to Glasgow Rangers on winning the PRO14 Cup.  

The Leinster jersey looks a bit like a Rangers jersey maybe we should be pitching to their fans for support too?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Sat 18 May 2019, 10:04 pm

Ah yer good Pot notworthy

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Sat 18 May 2019, 10:05 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Is it really about religion or is it about cultural background and or social status?

You can’t really separate the two here.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sat 18 May 2019, 10:40 pm

I think maybe Cullen had a comment lined up for Ulster being their opponents and just decided to use it for Glasgow.

Oops!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat 18 May 2019, 10:49 pm

demosthenes wrote:I think maybe Cullen had a comment lined up for Ulster being their opponents and just decided to use it for Glasgow.

Oops!

Good call. I mean everyone knows that Ulster fans secretly sleep with a blue jersey under their pillow.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun 19 May 2019, 7:44 am

Pot Hale wrote:
demosthenes wrote:I think maybe Cullen had a comment lined up for Ulster being their opponents and just decided to use it for Glasgow.

Oops!

Good call. I mean everyone knows that Ulster fans secretly sleep with a blue jersey under their pillow.

Come on Pot Hale you know your not supposed to reveal our secrets to outsiders

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 19 May 2019, 9:26 am

Collapse2005 wrote:Is it really about religion or is it about cultural background and or social status?

Collapse, since moving dahn sarf thirty years ago there is a trope which has recurred every time I meet a fellow exile. Eventually talk turns from "what do you miss most?" to "what do you not miss at all?": invariably the answer is "BIGOTRY". Religious bigotry is a cancer eating at the heart of the West of Scotland. Cullen should be ashamed of himself.

Just for the record I am a Partick Thistle supporting atheist.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 19 May 2019, 9:56 am

Pot Hale wrote:

Oops!

Nah, but most of the players do.

Last edited by The Great Aukster on Sun 19 May 2019, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun 19 May 2019, 10:05 am

Pot Hale wrote:

Oops!

That's just daft Pot, what's the point in hiding a rangers jersey under your rangers pillow and duvet matching set. We hang it on the wall, you can't really see it with out rangers wallpaper......hide in plain sight Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun 19 May 2019, 10:06 am

jimbopip wrote:

Collapse, since moving dahn sarf thirty years ago there is a trope which has recurred every time I meet a fellow exile. Eventually talk turns from "what do you miss most?" to "what do you not miss at all?": invariably the answer is "BIGOTRY". Religious bigotry is a cancer eating at the heart of the West of Scotland.  Cullen should be ashamed of himself.

My respect for you has doubled Jimbo Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 19 May 2019, 1:30 pm

Pete330v2 Hug

Unless it was pretty low to begin with. chin

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 19 May 2019, 2:32 pm

jimbopip wrote:

Collapse, since moving dahn sarf thirty years ago there is a trope which has recurred every time I meet a fellow exile. Eventually talk turns from "what do you miss most?" to "what do you not miss at all?": invariably the answer is "BIGOTRY". Religious bigotry is a cancer eating at the heart of the West of Scotland.  Cullen should be ashamed of himself.

Are these people really religious though or are just looking for an excuse to hate people from a different side of the tracks to them? Take the religion out and I suspect there would still be issues between both sides.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 8:35 am

I do not get this at all. Not one jot.

I have friends in Glasgow, they live in Springburn, I guess some of our Scottish members will know this area.

Anyway, I went up there and watched a pre-season game at Celtic Park, it was about ten to fifteen years ago, Celtic V Leeds. I can tell you now, football is not pretty up there, and I do not mean the game on the pitch. Leeds won 2-1.

Glasgow, is like Northern Ireland, it is very sectorial, there are blue pubs, and there are green pubs, the Catholics support Celtic, and the Protestants support Rangers. You could literraly draw a line through Glasgow, one half would be Catholic and green, the other half would be Protestant and blue.

Now, is it like this for rugby in Ireland ? Do Catholics support Leinster and Protestants do not ? Is this why Leo Cullen is being sectorial ?

I would always hope, that this nonsense would never raise it's ugly head in rugby. It is ruining football in parts of the world, I would be very upset if this was to happen in rugby.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 May 2019, 8:56 am

No as far as I know rugby fans for the most part dont care about religion which is why I find the reaction to Cullens comments over sensitive. I played rugby with catholics and protestants every team I played for.

Mixing religion politics and sport is wrong.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 20 May 2019, 9:04 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Glasgow, is like Northern Ireland, it is very sectorial, there are blue pubs, and there are green pubs,
Now, is it like this for rugby in Ireland ?.

There are some pubs you would not go in in Northern Ireland - but that is true everywhere.

In 90%+ of pubs it does not make a blind bit of difference.

As for the rugby itself the days of Ulster being a Protestant team are long gone - a recent survey said some 30% of the supporters were from a Catholic background.
Of the starting 15 against Glasgow 6 were from a Protestant background, 5 were from a Catholic background, to 4 it would not make a blind bit of difference.
For what it is worth if I was picking the starting 15 next year it would have 7 Catholics in it and only 4 Protestant players, again 4 who don't identify with the divide.
Nothing to do with religion they happen to be the best players for the job.
Religion is irrelevant to Ulster rugby.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 9:13 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Religion is irrelevant to Ulster rugby.

Glad to hear that Geoff. OK

But I was airing more towards Loe Cullen's statement about more Cathoilics/Celtic supporters switching their allegiance to Leinster. Why ?

I deal, quite a lot, with a company who base themselves in Newtonards, do you know the town ? I visit there now and then, for corporate business/social fun Very Happy

I do get the feeling that Glasgow, and Northern Ireland are very similar in their religion. I did not for one moment think that rugby was affected by it, I am just a little surprised by Leo Cullen's comments.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 20 May 2019, 9:28 am

Understand

I think he was simply trying to devise a way of drumming up more support for Leinster in Glasgow nothing more than that.
He knows it will be a home game for them.
Ill judged perhaps but nothing sinister

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 May 2019, 9:29 am

I wonder if prior to the Champions cup final if it was held in London Cullen said I hope London Irish fans come out and support us would there be an issue?

Its not his fault that football is sectarian and heavily politicized in Glasgow.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 20 May 2019, 9:34 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Glasgow, is like Northern Ireland, it is very sectorial, there are blue pubs, and there are green pubs,
Now, is it like this for rugby in Ireland ?.

There are some pubs you would not go in in Northern Ireland - but that is true everywhere.

In 90%+ of pubs it does not make a blind bit of difference.

As for the rugby itself the days of Ulster being a Protestant team are long gone - a recent survey said some 30% of the supporters were from a Catholic background.
Of the starting 15 against Glasgow 6 were from a Protestant background, 5 were from a Catholic background, to 4 it would not make a blind bit of difference.
For what it is worth if I was picking the starting 15 next year it would have 7 Catholics in it and only  4 Protestant players, again 4 who don't identify with the divide.
Nothing to do with religion they happen to be the best players for the job.
Religion is irrelevant to Ulster rugby.

Some of the pubs you don't go in is nothing to do with religion or politics either

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 9:52 am

Collapse2005 wrote:I wonder if prior to the Champions cup final if it was held in London Cullen said I hope London Irish fans come out and support us would there be an issue?

Its not his fault that football is sectarian and heavily politicized in Glasgow.

But he specifically targeted the Celtic fans, perhaps he should be a little more learned when making stupid statements like that.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 20 May 2019, 9:58 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:I wonder if prior to the Champions cup final if it was held in London Cullen said I hope London Irish fans come out and support us would there be an issue?

But he specifically targeted the Celtic fans, perhaps he should be a little more learned when making stupid statements like that.

“A little more learned”?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8FgYpB08I
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 10:04 am

After watching that video and comparing the link in the original post, I can now see why he said it, sometimes the interviewer needs to wind their neck in. Why even ask the question ?

Irish fans go to Scotland to support Rangers as well. I can see now that he is not asking for Scottish fans of Celtic to support Leinster.

On a side note, Leo Cullen looks awfully gaunt and small whilst sitting there, how long has he been like that for ? Or is it just me always thinking he is a lot bigger and fitter than he really is ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:05 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Irish fans go to Scotland to support Rangers as well. I can see now that he is not asking for Scottish fans of Celtic to support Leinster.

Erm

Are you sure about this statement?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:07 am

LordDowlais wrote:

and? Whats wrong with targeting fans you think will support you?

I dont think Cullen is to blame that football fans in Glasgow confuse sport with religion and politics.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 20 May 2019, 10:12 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Erm

The great thing about this forum is that he is very sure. Laugh
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 10:14 am

Collapse2005 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

and? Whats wrong with targeting fans you think will support you?

I dont think Cullen is to blame that football fans in Glasgow confuse sport with religion and politics.

I thought he was specifically targeting the Scottish Celtic fans. Anyway, I have given an explanation above. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 10:14 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Erm

Yes. OK

Well, Northern Irish. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:15 am

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Erm

Yes. OK

Well, Northern Irish. OK

Are you sure about that statement? Erm

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 10:16 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Erm

Yes. OK

Well, Northern Irish. OK

I know one, he supports Rangers, and Liverpool FC. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Mon 20 May 2019, 10:17 am

"I am sure all the Celtic fans will be out supporting Leinster because I believe Glasgow are all Rangers supporters. Hopefully we will have a big crowd over there."

Normally my support is London Irish, Ulster, the Other Provinces, Ireland, The Lions, whoever's playing England, any NH team against a SH team.

However I'm supporting Glasgow in this one, not because I'm a Rangers supporter (I'm not) but because there's absolutely no place for dragging this bull shot into rugby, especially rugby in Scotland and Ireland, Cullen should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for these comments and I can imagine certain people in Scotland and Northern Ireland making hay out of this.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:20 am

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Erm

Yes. OK

Well, Northern Irish. OK

I know one, he supports Rangers, and Liverpool FC. OK

And he identifies as what exactly?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 10:22 am

marty2086 wrote:And he identifies as what exactly?

Go and ask him, do you live near Newtonards ? I will PM you his business address and you can ask him yourself.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:22 am

Irish Londoner wrote:"I am sure all the Celtic fans will be out supporting Leinster because I believe Glasgow are all Rangers supporters. Hopefully we will have a big crowd over there."

Normally my support is London Irish, Ulster, the Other Provinces, Ireland, The Lions, whoever's playing England, any NH team against a SH team.

However I'm supporting Glasgow in this one, not because I'm a Rangers supporter (I'm not) but because there's absolutely no place for dragging this bull shot into rugby, especially rugby in Scotland and Ireland, Cullen should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for these comments and I can imagine certain people in Scotland and Northern Ireland making hay out of this.

Ah would you relax. He isnt dragging anything into the game he is just looking for support in an away final. Stop looking for things to be offended by. Its a rugby match not a holy war.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:23 am

LordDowlais wrote:

Go and ask him, do you live near Newtonards ? I will PM you his business address and you can ask him yourself.

I don't need it, identity in NI is a complex matter and beyond some people

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Mon 20 May 2019, 10:23 am

It's not the same thing and you know it, and whilst the state of Scottish sectarianism isn't his fault, he should know that it is, and not make such stupid statements, something like we would like lots of football fans of Irish heritage to come and support us is one thing to define Glasgow rugby fans as "a bunch of Proddys" is entirely a different matter.

What worries me is that some idiots in Glasgow are going to latch on this and we'll see a load of people in Rangers shirts attending to "support" Glasgow and turning this into an Old Firm derby.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 May 2019, 10:25 am

marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I know, that is why I will not put it here on an open forum. I exactly how it is in Northern Ireland, and it is almost the same in Glasgow. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:48 am

Irish Londoner wrote:

It's not the same thing and you know it, and whilst the state of Scottish sectarianism isn't his fault, he should know that it is, and not make such stupid statements, something like we would like lots of football fans of Irish heritage to come and support us is one thing to define Glasgow rugby fans as "a bunch of Proddys" is entirely a different matter.

What worries me is that some idiots in Glasgow are going to latch on this and we'll see a load of people in Rangers shirts attending to "support" Glasgow and turning this into an Old Firm derby.

Yes it is the same, Cullen has never made any reference to religion at all, you have drawn that conclusion all by yourself. It would be different if Leinster considered themselves a Catholic team or something stupid like that but they do not. It is a secular non political sports team that couldnt care in the slightest what your faith is.

Josh Van Der Flier for example is protestant and none has ever batted an eyelid because no one cares. Jonny Sexton went to a protestant primary school and no one ever mentions it because no one cares.

Cullen isnt remotely interested in sectarianism he is simply appealing for support.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 20 May 2019, 10:54 am

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I know, that is why I will not put it here on an open forum. I exactly how it is in Northern Ireland, and it is almost the same in Glasgow. OK

picard

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 20 May 2019, 10:56 am

I honestly thought Cullen was joking when he made the statement one eir sports, so I'm surprised he's repeated it.

I think he's misjudged this one a bit by bringing Celtic and Rangers into this, whether it is tongue in cheek or not - the bitterness and hatred associated with the Old firm derby is something we don't need in rugby.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next