The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

+3
James100
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 am

Surrey have named a squad of 13 for this week’s Specsavers County Championship match with Yorkshire at Guildford.
This week’s squad contains all 11 of the side that played in last week’s defeat to Somerset at the same ground with all-rounder Jordan Clark and wicket keeper-batsman Jamie Smith the additional two options. Both would make their Specsavers County Championship debuts for the Club if selected.
Sam Curran (hamstring), Ollie Pope (shoulder) and Conor McKerr (heel) remain unavailable through injury while Arun Harinath, Gus Atkinson and Stuart Meaker all miss out having picked up injuries in last week’s 2nd XI match with Sussex.  picard
There is no place in the squad for Freddie Van Den Berg.
Worrying there is no update on the fitness of Amar Virdi Erm
FULL SQUAD
Rory Burns (c)
Gareth Batty
Scott Borthwick
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Matt Dunn
Dean Elgar
Ben Foakes
Will Jacks
Morne Morkel
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
As you know if it was up to me Elgar and Stoneman would be left out but it probably wont happen
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:33 am

JimBob - cheers although I fear the game may be abandoned without a ball bowled and no eleven chosen. The forecast from Monday onwards is dreadful.

Sam Curran and Ollie Pope were both at Guildford some of last week doing fitness exercises during the lunch interval. I thought Pope would have some form of protection on his shoulder but there didn't seem to be anything there - that might be encouraging for a return later this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP  Empty Re: SURREY VS YORKSHIRE SPECSAVERS COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by James100 Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 am

Cheers Jimbob. Clark to miss out for sure. I'd bring in Smith for Stoneman and send Elgar up to open but I expect Stoneman will keep his place with Smith to warm the bench.

It's been great to see Dunn doing so well on his return. I haven't looked at the figures but it's seemed as though Clarke hasn't been taking wickets as regularly as he has the last couple of years, which becomes more of an issue now we're basically playing a 4 man attack.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:35 am

Just confirmed - no play before lunch which will be taken early at 12.30.

The best I can say is that although the weather in the area isn't good (light drizzle on and off since 7 am), it's not nearly so bad as yesterday's forecast.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:36 am

Early lunch called. Weather forecast suggests no play today and heavily interrupted for the whole game.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:39 am

guildfordbat wrote:Just confirmed - no play before lunch which will be taken early at 12.30.

The best I can say is that although the weather in the area isn't good (light drizzle on and off since 7 am), it's not nearly so bad as yesterday's forecast.

Looking at the radar, a heavy band due to hit around the time lunch starts. I guess being an outground drainage is not excellent - how good are the covers?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:01 am

LondonTiger wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:Just confirmed - no play before lunch which will be taken early at 12.30.

Looking at the radar, a heavy band due to hit around the time lunch starts. I guess being an outground drainage is not excellent - how good are the covers?

Drainage isn't normally too bad but it has been very dry recently and so the water may rest on top before eventually seeping in. The covers are nothing special - adequate to protect the wicket but not enough of them to cover much of the outfield.

My guess is that there'll be no play today, particularly in view of your comment about the heavy band hitting around lunchtime. However, there is also currently a light breeze which should help and perhaps give at least a small chance of play today or tomorrow which is better than I thought last night.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:10 am

Always a shame when weather disrupts games at outgrounds. For the first time in something like a hundred years, we have a game in York next week. Then our next game is the reverse fixture of this one at Scarborough. These kind of games are fantastic occasions. I hope you do get to see a decent amount of play.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am

play abandoned for the day Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 am

Match starting on time on day 2. Groundstaff deserve medals after the torrential rain in the area yesterday afternoon and last night!

Yorks elect to field. Understandable. Going to be easier to get bowling bonus points than batting ones and you don't know how much of the rest of the match will be able to be played.

BIG news. Burns not playing due to a back issue. Smith comes in for CC debut and Foakes captains. Clark also makes CC debut with Batty missing out.

I'm not there today but hope to follow on stream now and again.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 am

Strictly speaking only Jordan Clark's first CC match for Surrey Smile

I am hoping he does not repeat last years feats when he managed one of the most impressive hat tricks in the history of the game (Williamson, Root & Bairstow)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am

Jordan Thompson makes his first class debut today, with David Willey not travelling south due to family reasons.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:35 am

Looks like a trouble free first half hour for Surrey.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 am

LondonTiger wrote:Strictly speaking only Jordan Clark's first CC match for Surrey Smile

I am hoping he does not repeat last years feats when he managed one of the most impressive hat tricks in the history of the game (Williamson, Root & Bairstow)

Tiger - Obviously nothing else counts as far as the Surrey mafia are concerned. Wink

Does your debutant Thompson bowl? If not, you look a bit light in that department, yes?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 am

He is a bowling all-rounder.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:25 am

61 for Stoneman. Best he's done this season (I think) but still not enough

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 am

Green shoots of being actually able to bat here...!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am

Patel goes lbw

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 am

Borthwick Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

212 for 4 at tea

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:56 am

50 for Foakes clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm

There is no way Sam Curran can retain the baby face nickname if Jamie Smith continues to get a run in the the Surrey side. He’d struggle to buy a lottery ticket!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm

50 for Smith clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm

JDizzle wrote:There is no way Sam Curran can retain the baby face nickname if Jamie Smith continues to get a run in the the Surrey side. He’d struggle to buy a lottery ticket!
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Three wickets in an over and we're back in trouble. Foakes, Jacks and Smith all gone

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:44 pm

mad mad mad mad mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:53 pm

Disgraceful from Jacks furious

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm

struggle to get 300 now Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm

I managed to get along to the ground soon after lunch.

Saving me and you folks time, I would recommend a brilliant report on cricifo from Paul Edwards. He highlights a lot of good performances - Foakes, Smith, Patterson, Thompson and most of all the groundstaff who made it all possible.

Impressed by Smith on CC debut - clean cover drives standing out as well as him hardly ever hitting the ball in the air. Foakes played his part there, regularly chatting to Smith in the early part of his innings. Yorks' debutant Thompson also played an important role for his side - a couple of early order wickets and kept it tight throughout, especially important as Olivier wasn't on the field a lot of the time (presumably some injury).

Forecast suggests some play tomorrow but little or none on Thursday. Realistically it looks a drawn game with the real battle for bonus points. It's 2 points each atm and would guess it'll be 3 each by 11.30 tomorrow if the rain holds off.

PS Tremendous post by JDizzle about Smith's young looks! clap Laugh

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Just to add - I'll need to watch Jacks' dismissal on the club website to see if the ball did anything but on first sight it looked as awful as JimBob posted!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

Clark gets us to the 3rd and final batting point
1 wkt for Clarke with a e Very Happy
and that's stumps

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:24 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Clark gets us to the 3rd and final batting point
and that's stumps

I went along for the morning and had enough sense to have a pint with a couple of mates and then head for home soon after play was stopped shortly before lunch.

Not many highlights although I saw the great Pillans training with his new Yorkie team mates before the start. Saddo that I am, I also enjoyed the game within a game as Clark and Dunn edged us over the line to a 3rd batting point and then Clark biffing a couple before exiting to a skyer.

Morkel and Dunn were good with the new ball sharing the opening 12 overs and unlucky not to bag a wicket. Jordan Clark must have been a welcome relief for the Yorks batsmen and looked as ordinary as he did in the RL 50.

Forecast remains poor for tomorrow. Suspect that's it for this game. If so, 8 points each. Ok after 2 defeats on the bounce but last season seems like a lifetime ago.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Clark gets us to the 3rd and final batting point
and that's stumps

I went along for the morning and had enough sense to have a pint with a couple of mates and then head for home soon after play was stopped shortly before lunch.

Not many highlights although I saw the great Pillans training with his new Yorkie team mates before the start. Saddo that I am, I also enjoyed the game within a game as Clark and Dunn edged us over the line to a 3rd batting point and then Clark biffing a couple before exiting to a skyer.

Morkel and Dunn were good with the new ball sharing the opening 12 overs and unlucky not to bag a wicket. Jordan Clark must have been a welcome relief for the Yorks batsmen and looked as ordinary as he did in the RL 50.

Forecast remains poor for tomorrow. Suspect that's it for this game. If so, 8 points each. Ok after 2 defeats on the bounce but last season seems like a lifetime ago.

Think we're at the point now where we just need to make sure we stay in Div 1 and progress guys like Jacks/Smith et al so they are better and ready for next year.

On another note - anybody heard when Virdi will be fit?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi Olly - I spoke to Spills and Paul Edwards (cricinfo) when I arrived this morning. They both said how well Smith played yesterday and clearly regarded him as a more than decent prospect.

The situation with Virdi is odd. When the club do mention him not being in a first team squad, they refer to his fitness needing strenthening but he's playing 3 dayers for the seconds and bowled 20 overs on the reel for Sunbury in the Surrey Championship on Saturday. There's a members' forum meeting during the Warks game later this month. I'm sure Virdi will be asked about then - keep you posted.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:49 am

Wet and yucky here as expected. Reckon the game will be called off this morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:10 am

I see that play has actually started. With a wicket already Surrey could easily get a bowling point (or 2)

And there we go, first bowling point, two bowling points.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 am

It is staggering that they are playing! Here about 3 miles away and in the vicinity it is chucking down and has been most of the time since 7 am!

Very handy to get some more bonus points today - might put JimBob in a better mood for when we have next week off. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:23 am

Well I think they are off now, conditions look as if they were challenging and Jordan Clark almost got another hat trick against Yorkshire.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am

Yorkshire 8 down is there time to get 12 more wkts ? Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:37 am

follow on enforced
38 overs to get 10 more wkts Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm

5pm reached and they shake hands on a draw

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Bad light saves Yorkshire Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:52 pm

It was only 4 overs lost to bad light.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Just came here to chuckle at Surreys season and my predictions after spotting this gem https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/rory-burns-not-writing-off-surreys-title-hopes-yet/
Seems bad luck is kicking in now too.

Whats the reason Burns sat this out?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Just came here to chuckle at Surreys season and my predictions after spotting this gem https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/rory-burns-not-writing-off-surreys-title-hopes-yet/
Seems bad luck is kicking in now too.

Whats the reason Burns sat this out?

Bad back.

I thinks Burns was trying to make the point that there's still a lot of the season to go and no side can rule anything in or out at this stage. That's fair enough but to mention Surrey and winning the Championship this year in the same breath was unnecessary, unrealistic and asking for trouble.

One thing I was pleased about was Burns commenting on how well Matt Dunn has taken his unexpected chance this season. He's bowled well and with some deserved personal success after a very rough few years.

We are missing several players this season and that is an obvious problem as keeps being said. However, another less highlighted problem has been that too many of the players coming into the side to fill those gaps - Dunn and Smith in the Yorks game aside - have not taken their opportunity.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down