The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JRWC commentary

+2
Taylorman
TheGreyGhost
6 posters

Go down

JRWC commentary Empty JRWC commentary

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:57 pm

I tried to watch the JRWC yesterday. I was at home sick, so perhaps it was a consequence of feeling grumpy and medicated but did anyone else suffer similarly from the insufferable commentary?

I had to switch the sound off during the NZ v Italy game because the purple prose gushing out of the commentary team was conjuring the image of John Inverdale following a team of 15 Jonny Wilkinson clones. It was just horrific stuff.

A compliment is a compliment, and fair enough. But 80 minutes of elevating the Baby Blacks to walking deity status with bi-minutely barbs at the senior ABs world cup record just started to sound bitter and sarcastic.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

JRWC commentary Empty Re: JRWC commentary

Post by Taylorman Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm

Sick, grumpy and medicated..?

Now that clears up a few things Grey...

Though gotta admit the cliches were thoroughly sapping.

"You expect a Kiwi back to be 6'2 and 15 stone but these young baby black backs are small and have talent...' or something like that.

How enlightening...no wonder they keep winning if thats still the blinkered impression.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:08 pm

Yep. When they start talking about record victories in the first 20 seconds of the game, it sounds a little disingenuous, not to mention disrespectful to the Italians.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:31 pm

The only problem is much of it is actually true, despity the pitiful way it comes across so its almost as though theyre resigned to hysteria.

I mean how many world anything events involving 12 teams or more over how many years? Didnt they say Carter was at this? are there where one team have never lost a single match, ever?

At least thats what I'd heard and havnt checked myself but you'd have to go scouring pretty deep to find a record like that surely?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm

The JRWC has only been around since 2008, being an amalgamation of the other other two age group championships. There are no Qfinals, so it essential means a few pool group romps and then two victories over decent sides. NZ certainly lost their fair share in it's predecessor incarnations.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:47 pm

Oh yep. Makes sense. Seems to be a limited number that get through to the sxv/ Abs still.
3 years of winning at that level means we have a strong 19-22 age group at least. I know theres a few but would have thought more. Perhaps they take time to get to the next level and its already quite choker full of the old hands. A cleanout next year might elevate some prematurely.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Hound_of_Harrow Sun 12 Jun 2011, 12:08 am

I just enjoy this level of rugby for what it is, and the chance to have a look at some of the potential full internationals of the future.

I watched the England v Ireland & SA v Scotland games yesterday, but didn't see the NZ game (or Wales, who had an impressive win). Are the pundits going OTT about your guys? You should win this comp. no problem to be fair.

The_Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:26 am

The baby Blacks were very impressive it has to be said but they will certainly come up against much tougher opposition.

I thought the Italians stood off them too much. When the Blacks were attacking the Italians just did not get up in their faces but stood back waiting for the Blacks to come to them. A massive mistake given their speed, skills and support play. And when they did try and tackle a lot of it was sloppy but it is a much more difficult thing to do once the opposition has got up some speed.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

"the image of John Inverdale following a team of 15 Jonny Wilkinson clones. It was just horrific stuff."

Haha, even as an Englishman that's a fair point, and a horrifying image.

That said, the teams i've seen the last 3 years have been worthy of praise. Particularly for their skill levels. Yes, i know, England only produces big blunderers blah blah blah, but the team that had Calum Clark, Lawes and Fearns in was HUGE. It made a bit of headway against the much smaller BB pack, but never looked like coming close to winning. Admittedly, our backs as ever were useless, but still.

It demonstrates that 'physicality' isn't just bulk, because the work at the breakdown by the smaller BBs was far superior. This year, the England pack is once again pretty massive, minus the backrow which is average. Our backs are slightly better but our work at the breakdown, like the senior squad, is awful. The Saffa pack is also huge so we won't bully them. I could see a SA v NZ final and a fairly easy win for the BBs again.

Oh, and glad to see you on 606v2 GreyGhost

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:50 am

Greyghost the thought of you watching young men disturbs ne for some reason.

Talking up the All Blacks irritating? Oh the irony.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

It's the 80 minutes of hysterical over the top praise laid on with a trowel that I object to.

From a commentary team I want someone who can provide analysis and insight that is not obvious from watching the game on TV, because they are more knowledgeable about the players, have access to the coaches and the players, are closer to the game, can find out what's going on with injuries and substitutions and have the better over view of the game.

I don't want someone babbling on for 80 minutes telling me exactly what I'm seeing but adding random stacks of superlatives and awestruck adjectives.

It's false praise, because the gentleman in question secretly fancies Wales to beat NZ tomorrow (don't they always?) so has an agenda in making the BB side the Best Ever, so in the event of his hypothetical victory it propels the young Welsh side into the stratosphere.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down