The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

+65
Collapse2005
robbo277
tigertattie
rodders
mikey_dragon
Heaf
Poorfour
theslosty
jimbopip
alive555
Blanko
Afro
poissonrouge
highland_scot
Exiledinborders
alanmackie6
Pie
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
The Great Aukster
No9
Dolphin Ziggler
profitius
Barney McGrew did it
LeinsterFan4life
Good Golly I'm Olly
Geordie
WELL-PAST-IT
Mr Fishpaste
Cyril
Engine#4
westisbest
Geen sport voor watjes
eirebilly
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
Pal Joey
Soul Requiem
Scottrf
RiscaGame
Galted
EnglishReign
Brendan
TightHEAD
Duty281
maestegmafia
NeilyBroon
majesticimperialman
asoreleftshoulder
Taylorman
thebandwagonsociety
Tramptastic
BigGee
RDW
Rugby Fan
Old Man
poddy89
EWT Spoons
carpet baboon
George Carlin
SecretFly
bsando
BamBam
Ninjarugby
Pete330v2
69 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 8 Empty Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by LondonTiger Mon 9 Sep - 12:10

First topic message reminder :

TeamPlayedWonDrawnLostTriesPFPA+/-BPPoints
Japan330098741+46214
Ireland3201117422+52311
Scotland320113982771210
Samoa310275381-2815
Russia3003119125-10600

Japan 30-10 Russia              
Ireland 27-3 Scotland  
Russia 9-34 Samoa                        
Japan 19-12 Ireland                          
Scotland 34-0 Samoa
Ireland 35-0 Russia
Japan 38-19 Samoa
Scotland 61-0 Russia

12 October 2019         Ireland v Samoa                         Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium, Fukuoka
13 October 2019         Japan v Scotland                         International Stadium Yokohama, Yokohama

Two games left. If Ireland get a TBP win on Saturday they qualify for the quarter finals irrespective of the result on Sunday. Any other result and they need to wait and see what happens between Japan and Scotland.
Any win for Japan and they will top the group (in fact a draw or losing with two bonus points will guarantee the same)
Most interesting scenario is if Ireland win without a bonus point - opening up a chance for Scotland to top the group if all 3 teams end up on 15pts and Scotland are able to keep their points difference ahead of Ireland.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Wed 9 Oct - 10:29; edited 5 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 8 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by Brendan Sat 28 Sep - 10:19

TightHEAD wrote:So looks like the host nation will get out the group.

Ireland have never beat a host nation

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland  - Page 8 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool A Ireland Japan Russia Samoa Scotland

Post by Geordie Sat 28 Sep - 10:20

Could Samoa and Japan be the qualifiers from this group??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 28 Sep - 10:20

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Galted wrote:Looks like we might get NZ v Ireland after all, with the winner playing England.

Your assuming Ireland beat Samoa, on this form that is not guaranteed

Wink I did say 'might'.

I would think that Ireland would get bonus point wins over Samoa and Russia though which would guarantee they'd qualify, would depend on how Scotland go against Japan to determine the group winners. Having said that at 12-3 I was hoping it wasn't a hammering for the home team, didn't see Japan coming back from that.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 28 Sep - 10:21

Wow, what a result for Japan. I have no idea what that means for the group, but Scotland have got to be worried 

Carbery kicking the ball out at the end was a strange one, we've seen Irish sides put long sets of phases together to score at the end of the game plenty of times, but I guess the risk of losing the bonus point maybe not worth it

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep - 10:21

majesticimperialman wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:One of the most one sided refereeing performances Ive seen in a while, although Japan may not have needed it as they were really good.

Stop blaming the ref. Ireland indiscipline  cost them the game.

Yeah you don’t go from number one in the world one week and lose to Japan the next and mention the ref. The ref is one. Your team is 23 players and lord knows how many keepers. They own it, they need to come back from it. Every side they play will be smelling fear now.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 28 Sep - 10:22

Schmidt suggesting it was the ref's fault for the penalty count. Did this guy snooze in the two games against Wales? Rolling Eyes

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 28 Sep - 10:22

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:What the hell were Ireland thinking there. They had to keep possession, instead they kicked away any chance of  draw

saving the bonus point

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 28 Sep - 10:23

If Japan beat Scotland they will top the group and Ireland will be second.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 28 Sep - 10:23

Collapse2005 wrote:One of the most one sided refereeing performances Ive seen in a while, although Japan may not have needed it as they were really good.

Ireland's luck was due to run out. Maybe your team should just try playing a fair game.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 28 Sep - 10:25

Here we go again
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 28 Sep - 10:25

Well done Japan, out thought and out played Ireland. Far more hunger and desire.

Again it appears that Ireland are completely incapable of adjusting to in game situations. Schmidt has them drilled to play one tactic but if their opposition adjust to it, they cannot change. no plan B again...

Not taking anything away from Japan who are deserved winners.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 28 Sep - 10:25

BigGee wrote:Well dine Japan, that was fabulous. Ireland very lucky to get a BP in my opinion, though that may still put them through.

Hard to see Scotland qualifying now

If Ireland get 2 TBPs they get 16 points
Scotland can get 3 TBPs so most they can get is 15 pts
If Japan get a TBP v Samoa they are on 14 pts.

If Scotland beat Japan and stop them getting a LBP or TBP then they will be ok.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 28 Sep - 10:26

Pal Joey wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Japanese fans are class, cant wait to get over there

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks I will

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 28 Sep - 10:26

Taylorman wrote:
Mr Fishpaste wrote:Springbok B-team 41-7 Japan....just saying

Yes, just shows how relative matches over the last year really are. World Cup Rugby. There’s nothing like it. You can’t hide here.

Assuming they've got no injuries, Japan will be targeting a semi final. They'll be hugely motivated against Scotland after 2915, and they know they have a game to trouble the Books, even if the chance of a win is fairly low.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 28 Sep - 10:27

Galted wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Galted wrote:Looks like we might get NZ v Ireland after all, with the winner playing England.

Wink   I did say 'might'.

I would think that Ireland would get bonus point wins over Samoa and Russia though which would guarantee they'd qualify, would depend on how Scotland go against Japan to determine the group winners.  Having said that at 12-3 I was hoping it wasn't a hammering for the home team, didn't see Japan coming back from that.

I'm getting ahead of myself but if Australia beat Wales we could very well have Eng v Wales and NZ v Ire in the QFs with the winners meeting.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 28 Sep - 10:28

eirebilly wrote:Well done Japan, out thought and out played Ireland. Far more hunger and desire.

Again it appears that Ireland are completely incapable of adjusting to in game situations. Schmidt has them drilled to play one tactic but if their opposition adjust to it, they cannot change. no plan B again...

Not taking anything away from Japan who are deserved winners.

Seems to be a habit that England often suffer from as well. Jones seems to have got them playing to what is happening on the field a bit more, but they take a long time to adjust.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep - 10:30

Poorfour wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Yes, just shows how relative matches over the last year really are. World Cup Rugby. There’s nothing like it. You can’t hide here.

Assuming they've got no injuries, Japan will be targeting a semi final. They'll be hugely motivated against Scotland after 2915, and they know they have a game to trouble the Books, even if the chance of a win is fairly low.

Japan are 17 and 1 vs non tier one sides apparently.

Showed. Jamie Joseph will be sought after. As tough as it gets and would suit a NH side. What’s the bet he goes into the reckoning.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 28 Sep - 10:31

Said all along the conditions and Japan would test Ireland and Scotland, was shot down time and time again.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 28 Sep - 10:31

Soul Requiem wrote:Losing bonus points are a joke in all honesty.
No they absoultley are not. It's a much better way to decide things rather than points difference.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 28 Sep - 10:32

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

I would think that Ireland would get bonus point wins over Samoa and Russia though which would guarantee they'd qualify, would depend on how Scotland go against Japan to determine the group winners.  Having said that at 12-3 I was hoping it wasn't a hammering for the home team, didn't see Japan coming back from that.

I'm getting ahead of myself but if Australia beat Wales we could very well have Eng v Wales and NZ v Ire in the QFs with the winners meeting.

The Australia / Wales game could be a classic, I can't wait.

I agree you are getting ahead of yourself, England still have Argentina and France to navigate and they are due one of there regular implosions.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 28 Sep - 10:32

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

The Australia / Wales game could be a classic, I can't wait.

I agree you are getting ahead of yourself, England still have Argentina and France to navigate and they are due one of there regular implosions.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Sep - 10:33

I guess we will never know, but did Ireland really miiss Sexton's leadership in that game?

Ireland do seem to play better when he is on the field.  Or are Ireland getting a bit to old for top level rugby?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 28 Sep - 10:33

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
No they absoultley are not. It's a much better way to decide things rather than points difference.

Here have a point for losing, you don't deserve it and played rubbish but that's the way it is.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 28 Sep - 10:38

Have to say Japan were fantastic.
Ireland after the first 20 ran out of energy and ideas.
Carty I thought did well but we were taking the ball standing still.
The pack looked absolutely shot by half time.
In hindsight we should have rotated more player's

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 28 Sep - 10:39

A lot of vitriol on here today, have I missed something
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 28 Sep - 10:41

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:A lot of vitriol on here today, have I missed something

I think its been pretty tame to be honest.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 28 Sep - 10:41

I'm in one of the fan zones in Tokyo. It's quite a party here.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Sep - 10:42

It is all because Ireland lost today. to a team that was a lot fitter and did not give away penalties like Ireland did.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 28 Sep - 10:43

Soul Requiem wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Here have a point for losing, you don't deserve it and played rubbish but that's the way it is.

It's a recognition that the winner taking all the points isn't a fair reflection of the game itself.
LBPs are more fair than TBPs

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 28 Sep - 10:43

Then what about a team that plays really well, and doesn’t deserve to lose. Fair that they get something from the game?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 28 Sep - 10:44

I only saw the last 10 minutes, but it looked like Japan were reviving 4 years ago against SA, they were seriously good. Ireland just seemed to be cold, couldn't get into the game mentally or physically. They seemed to have no idea how to play against a fast rush defence, it was the same against England in the warm ups, got it sorted for Wales though, so watch out Russia.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 28 Sep - 10:45

Does this mean Japan are ranked #1 now?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 28 Sep - 10:49

Barney McGrew did it wrote:Does this mean Japan are ranked #1 now?

1 New Zealand 90.98
2 (↑3) England 88.13
3 (↑4) Wales 87.32
4 (↓2) Ireland 85.93 (-4.00)
5 (↑6) Australia 85.07
6 (↓5) South Africa 83.75 (-2.00)
7 (--) France 81.04
8 (↑10) Japan 80.70 (+4.00)
9 (↓8) Scotland 80.54
10 (↓9) Argentina 76.79

Japan are 8th... just overtaken Argentina and Scotland. Ireland slip to 4th.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 28 Sep - 10:50

mikey_dragon wrote:

Ireland's luck was due to run out. Maybe your team should just try playing a fair game.

We're flattered.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 28 Sep - 10:53

I think the word is flattened Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 28 Sep - 10:54

No because Ireland were only ranked Second.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 28 Sep - 10:57

Taylorman wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Showed. Jamie Joseph will be sought after. As tough as it gets and would suit a NH side. What’s the bet he goes into the reckoning.

He already coaches a NH side.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 28 Sep - 10:58

Not as much as there will be when Fiji beat Wales... Whistle Very Happy Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 28 Sep - 10:59

Brendan wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

It's a recognition that the winner taking all the points isn't a fair reflection of the game itself.
LBPs are more fair than TBPs

A tier one team shouldn't get rewarded for losing to a tier 2 team.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 28 Sep - 11:05

carpet baboon wrote:Have  to say Japan were fantastic.
Ireland after the first 20 ran out of energy and ideas.
Carty I thought did well but we were taking the ball standing still.
The pack looked absolutely shot by half time.
In hindsight we should have rotated more player's

Thought Carty looked good too

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep - 11:08

Pal Joey wrote:

1 New Zealand 90.98
2 (↑3) England 88.13
3 (↑4) Wales 87.32
5 (↑6) Australia 85.07
7 (--)  France 81.04
9 (↓8) Scotland 80.54
10 (↓9) Argentina 76.79

Japan top 8 huh?
16 out of 31 foreign born, as are coach, co coach.
The trend continues...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 28 Sep - 11:08

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Putting a bet on it?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 28 Sep - 11:10

Taylorman wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:

1 New Zealand 90.98
2 (↑3) England 88.13
3 (↑4) Wales 87.32
5 (↑6) Australia 85.07
7 (--)  France 81.04
9 (↓8) Scotland 80.54
10 (↓9) Argentina 76.79

Japan top 8 huh?
The trend continues...

It's usually seen as acceptable for a developing nation, and as a result they've overtaken the likes of Italy in a shorter space of time.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 28 Sep - 11:11

mikey_dragon wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Putting a bet on it?

I have been thinking about it Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 28 Sep - 11:11

LondonTiger wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

He already coaches a NH side.

Yes, just. A 6N one then.
Amazing considering many are from the Sunwolves who again finished last Super rugby.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 28 Sep - 11:15

Taylorman wrote:
Pal Joey wrote:

1 New Zealand 90.98
2 (↑3) England 88.13
3 (↑4) Wales 87.32
5 (↑6) Australia 85.07
7 (--)  France 81.04
9 (↓8) Scotland 80.54
10 (↓9) Argentina 76.79

Japan top 8 huh?
The trend continues...

Yeah but at least they are in the Pacific Hemisphere. Yahoo

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 28 Sep - 11:18

GeordieFalcon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Putting a bet on it?

Go on, do it and let us know. You lot repeat the same thing every time, so uninteresting Laugh.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sat 28 Sep - 11:19

mikey_dragon wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Putting a bet on it?

Go on, do it and let us know. You lot repeat the same thing every time, so uninteresting Laugh.

Yes Mikey and you banging on about Ireland and refs is so brand new

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 28 Sep - 11:21

Don't ruin this thread. Don't make me waste my time moving posts. Thanks kindly

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sat 28 Sep - 11:35

Well done Japan... could be a Japan v Wales final... Shocked..think I’d rather face the All Blacks.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next