The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

+38
No9
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
majesticimperialman
eirebilly
TightHEAD
Big
Shifty
alanmackie6
Gooseberry
Soul Requiem
lauriehow
Brendan
Geordie
Rinsure
bsando
englishborn
Afro
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
No 7&1/2
Dolphin Ziggler
BigGee
Duty281
BigTrevsbigmac
LeinsterFan4life
kingelderfield
Noble-Surfer
BamBam
Pal Joey
Taylorman
SecretFly
Old Man
Pie
robbo277
rodders
lostinwales
RiscaGame
42 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales - Page 4 Empty Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

Post by LondonTiger Mon 09 Sep 2019, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

TeamPlayedWonDrawnLostTriesPFPA+/-BPPoints
Wales2200872393319
Australia2101964501426
Georgia210174750-315
Uruguay210143760-2304
Fiji200274869-1122

Australia 39 - 21 Fiji  
Wales 43-14 Georgia
Fiji 27-30 Uruguay        
Georgia 33-7 Uruguay                  
Australia 25-29 Wales                    

3 October 2019         Georgia v Fiji                           Hanazono Rugby Stadium, Higashiosaka
5 October 2019         Australia v Uruguay                  Oita Stadium, Ōita
9 October 2019         Wales v Fiji                              Oita Stadium, Ōita
11 October 2019       Australia v Georgia                   Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa, Fukuroi
13 October 2019       Wales v Uruguay                      Kumamoto Stadium, Kumamoto

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 01 Oct 2019, 9:42 am; edited 4 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales - Page 4 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:28 pm

BamBam wrote:I wouldn't go far as to describe it as a "shock" but in my opinion it would be a genuine surprise if Australia beat you on Sunday

You've got a better style of play for knockout type rugby, and the mental edge from the long winning run won't have gone away because of a couple of defeats.

Looks like the bookies agree with me too

Good lord, BamBam...... was that a...... compliment?! Hug

Back to top Go down

Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales - Page 4 Empty Re: Japan 2019 - Pool D Australia Fiji Georgia Uruguay Wales

Post by BamBam Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:41 pm

Don't be ridiculous vomit

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:55 pm

The Oracle wrote:
BamBam wrote:I wouldn't go far as to describe it as a "shock" but in my opinion it would be a genuine surprise if Australia beat you on Sunday

You've got a better style of play for knockout type rugby, and the mental edge from the long winning run won't have gone away because of a couple of defeats.

Good lord, BamBam...... was that a...... compliment?!  Hug

It was, but the shock of having it pointed out has had rather an effect, as you can see above.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:56 pm

I also would be more surprised by an Australia win than a Wales one. If you made me put my mortgage on one of the two, I would plump for Wales.

I think we have 3 very evenly matched Northern Hemisphere rivals in England, Wales and Ireland. They all have completely different strengths and can all win the WC, but it would be Wales' incredible defensive game that I think is best suited to beating either Aus or NZ.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:58 pm

I know Wales had a long run of narrow defeats against Australia and at times it looked like there was some kind of mental issue. Now the win last Autumn was pretty much a grind, but hopefully is has eradicated any negative feeling Welsh may have had going into games with the green and gold. Wales first XV is, imo, appreciably stronger than Australia and better coached. Bench may be weaker but really Wales should be looking at a 10+ point win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 23 Sep 2019, 4:07 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Good lord, BamBam...... was that a...... compliment?!  Hug

It was, but the shock of having it pointed out has had rather an effect, as you can see above.

Laugh

I didn't quote, but was replying to miaow who seemed rather pessimistic about the Australia game

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 23 Sep 2019, 4:10 pm

Ah well, miaow can be rather a pessimist at times. An optimistic pessimist if I am allowed that oxymoron.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 23 Sep 2019, 4:20 pm

Statistically Wales can't win this game coz Australia won the World Cup before..... innit?

In solid stats Rugby lore, you can never beat a team wot did win it before.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 23 Sep 2019, 5:23 pm

Hodge hearing scheduled for 15:00 JST on Wednesday.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 6:22 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Ah well, miaow can be rather a pessimist at times. An optimistic pessimist if I am allowed that oxymoron.

This is probably true. I think it's also know as 'being Welsh' though?

Honestly, I think I must be seeing different things to everyone else though...Australia looked good against Fiji.

LondonTiger wrote:I know Wales had a long run of narrow defeats against Australia and at times it looked like there was some kind of mental issue. Now the win last Autumn was pretty much a grind, but hopefully is has eradicated any negative feeling Welsh may have had going into games with the green and gold. Wales first XV is, imo, appreciably stronger than Australia and better coached. Bench may be weaker but really Wales should be looking at a 10+ point win.

If by green and gold you mean SA, then yes, I'd agree. Off the top of my head, we've beaten them 4 times since 2014, losing only in the 2015 RWC game. One game on neutral territory with both teams' 2nds/3rds. That 2014 win didn't count for much in 2015 - ultimately, fatigue and Cuthbert led to the decisive score, but we did stop playing in the second half, too scared of losing rather than confident of winning. I'd say that, now, that's changed. We still bottled it a bit towards the end of the game last season, and from a brilliant start allowed SA back in to the game, but we didn't look like totally capitulating, and if we were to lose, SA would really have to work for it.

The issue with the green and golds you actually mean is we're in the same position with Oz as we were last time with SA - one scrappy, try-not-to-lose victory. That's it. In 10 years. I don't believe that removes the hoodoo, personally. Had we smashed them, then yeah, fine. Or, better yet, had we won 2-3 times in this cycle just gone, I'd say the mentality might not play a part. But the Australians have that in-built ability to compete and scrap and survive and win, whatever the sport. We were still clinging on in the final play, and won by 3 points, at home, against a fairly bedraggled Australian team.

If Australia were genuinely looking poor, I'd be confident, because Wales look pretty good. But they don't. Aside from SuperHooper - who kept his team in the game against Fiji - they have some real individual ability in just about every position. Pocock could singlehandedly destory Wales' tactics of going through the phases, for instance, with his poaching.

We have to target set piece, both of them. We have to keep getting points as and when we can, and Biggar kicked well from the touchlines, which was good to see. I expect, injury permitting, that is the bench we'll see v Oz - Patchell to come on if needed, with 1/2P taking over the kicking. Or, it might even be Patchell to start with 1/2P, and the closers being Liam and Biggar...but I don't think so. But that's not enough. We need tries and to create pressure like Oz create pressure - rugby league style, territory and intensity based, not just keep the ball in their half and hope for a mistake. Our scramble defence might be decisive, because I can see a few Welsh players getting the runaround if Oz cut loose, and the strike runners in their team are lethal. We need North to return the favour. I wouldn't be surprised to see changes across the backline for them, Genia back in, Foley on to the bench, bulking up as and where they can.

I really hope we win, but too many of Wales' dominant wins are about holding out - our comeback wins are often more glorious, but we've never done that against a SH team in a WC. I just fear Wales trying to hold on to a 3/5/8 point lead in the final quarter, instead of going and bullying them with tries and aggressively going at them...and then, ofc, Australia profit from a Welsh mistake, counter attack, and win it. I fear it because I've seen it so many times, and it's basically 'typical' of both teams. For all Wales' success, they basically never go out and beat a tier 1 nation on the scoreboard - they don't gain and keep a 15 point lead unless it comes late on, when the team is already beaten. We're much better at not losing than we are at dominating and winning, but that can only take you so far, especially if you meet a side that wants to come and play.

I'm also amazed people are writing off a team that just smashed the ABs. Yes, 14 ABs for 40-odd minutes, but they still turned up with a one-off gameplan and turned them over comprehensively. They'll have been planning for this game as long as Gatland has - it won't be a shock to me if they win, and if I were a betting man, I'd take the odds on if they're decent enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 23 Sep 2019, 6:31 pm

It’s a tough call. I think wales and Australia are pretty closely matched at the moment. Wales shading an advantage for consistency over the last two seasons.

Australia didn’t look very convincing against a surprisingly handy looking Fiji team.

I think I would be more upset losing to the Wallabies this RWC than the last few.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 23 Sep 2019, 7:10 pm

Sorry Green and Gold was Australia - I guess it is more of a cricket reference.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 7:15 pm

Haha, I know, I was taking artistic license.

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Wed 25 Sep 2019, 6:54 am

Loving this match. Uruguay currently leading Fiji 21 - 12, they look very well organised and keeping their discipline. If they keep that up maybe an upset on the cards.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 25 Sep 2019, 7:51 am

Uruguay have really impressed! still thin kthey'll lose it but Fiji, what a mess! Matawalu and Volovola have brought some calm but it's still been so so bad.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 25 Sep 2019, 7:54 am

Wow very makeable penalty with only 6 minutes to go!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Wed 25 Sep 2019, 7:57 am

Did anyone pick Uruguay to win this?

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:01 am

Come on Uruguay

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:07 am

Great win Uruguay

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:07 am

First world cup upset!

Matawalu's second not enough but does earn them a losing BP.

Uruguayan players and coaches balling their eyes out.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:08 am

That was a lot of fun!

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:10 am

Oh that's amazing, Fiji were well below their best and Uruguay fought like no others.

Never thought I would get emotional watching Uruguay, their reaction to winning is the highlight of the first week so far and will be hard to beat.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:12 am

Uruguay have Georgia up next (albeit on a short turnaround). Another win there might mean that any slip-up by Aus or Wales could prove costly...

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:37 am

Well, that was a surprise. Great commitment by Uruguay and the risks inherent in short turn rounds demonstrated.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:40 am

Uruguay did Australia and Wales a big favour with this win.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 25 Sep 2019, 9:23 am

A massive upset. Well done to Uruguay. Bookies were thinking it would be around a 30 point win for the Fijians!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 25 Sep 2019, 10:16 am

Old Man wrote:Uruguay did Australia and Wales a big favour with this win.

As long as Wales and Australia arent complacent against the other sides...Fiji will be hurting and Wales are well aware of what they can do...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 25 Sep 2019, 10:28 am

Group D blown wide shut?

Wales - Pld 1, Pts 5
Australia - Pld 1, Pts 5
Uruguay - Pld 1, Pts 4
Fiji - Pld 2, Pts 2
Georgia - Pld 1, Pts 0

Fiji were the biggest threats, but they have a mountain to climb now. They'd have to beat Wales and Georgia to finish on 11 points, they'd then need to hope Australia beat Wales so it comes to bonus points.

Georgia and Uruguay have a mathematically better chance, but probably wouldn't be able to pull together the results needed.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 25 Sep 2019, 11:36 am

Reece Hodge banned for 3 weeks so he'll miss the rest of the pool stages

Quite amused by a tweet from Fox Rugby Australia stating "Reece Hodge has been slapped with a shock three week ban"

Shock to who Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 25 Sep 2019, 12:18 pm

Yeah the SH sides seem really reluctant to adjust to head contact rules. NZ were quite lucky to escape a Moody shoulder charge to A Bok head and a tackle around the neck off the ball from Read.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 25 Sep 2019, 12:49 pm

Maybe we can ban the Arnolds and Allalatoas of the Aus team too, that would help...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Sep 2019, 1:54 pm

7 consecutive points missed from  the tee by Fiji in that second half. Changed the game totally - two by Matavesi, one by Volavola. Mataves's conversion would have taken the scores level at 22-22 I believe, and from there, you'd expect Fiji to have nicked the win. Fine margins decide games.

But what a performance. Major issues about the 4 day turnaround, clearly, but that's not the whole story. Fiji tactically naive, and as good as Josh Matavesi is in the NH, he always looks out of place and playing from a different hymn sheet when he plays for Fiji. The team was all over the place though and Uruguay profited.

What can you say about Uruguay? Exactly the way you want to see rugby being played. Perfect mix of styles, played positively, agressively, competitively, and fairly for 80 minutes. Wonderful stuff. Hope their players bask in the glory of that win for the rest of their lives and are looked back on as greats as the country grows the game. Magic. Exactly what the RWC is all about.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 25 Sep 2019, 6:59 pm

Can't disagree with any of that post miaow, you got it spot on.

Its a WC every team has got a quick turnaround at some point in the groups. To be fair, i don't think Fiji have been blaming it as the reason, even if some of their fans are.

They comittrd the fardinal sin of not respecting the oposition and boy has it cost them.

It will be interesting to see if they can salvage some pride from their last two games or if they want to be on the plane home now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:26 pm

It was widely expected that Wales would go for many changes for the Uruguay game (last game in the pool for us). Maybe we’ll need to go full strength again!

Great for world rugby that Uruguay have got this win. Not so great for Fiji and PI rugby, so bittersweet really as I want PI rugby to get the success that they need and deserve for their contribution to rugby.

Enjoying this World Cup so far clap

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 25 Sep 2019, 8:41 pm

I don't know how you turn on that psychological switch artificially, but somehow players and coaches of fancied/favoured sides Always have to have a method of doing so when meeting these Pool minnows.  If you don't believe you need to be 100% committed and alert, well that's when a result like today happens.

Fiji never believed Uruguay could do it.  It just wasn't in the mindset.  Half the battle won by Uruguay even before the game started.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 25 Sep 2019, 9:03 pm

I never thought Uruguay would ever beat Fiji. I was very surprised when i saw the result.
Well done Uruguay.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 25 Sep 2019, 10:59 pm

The Oracle wrote:It was widely expected that Wales would go for many changes for the Uruguay game (last game in the pool for us). Maybe we’ll need to go full strength again!

Great for world rugby that Uruguay have got this win. Not so great for Fiji and PI rugby, so bittersweet really as I want PI rugby to get the success that they need and deserve for their contribution to rugby.

Not full strength, but I guess it depends on what the next two results are. I would rest a few key players, if we have made the quarters, but there must be a bit of a gap between that game and the quarters anyway. Guess it’s a discussion to have after the Fiji game and see where we are at.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 26 Sep 2019, 11:05 am

So little stat for everyone.

Urugary have more MLR players in their squad then the USA or Canada.

The Uruguayan fans think that the MLR and the American Rugby Championship have helped them alot

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 26 Sep 2019, 11:26 am

RiscaGame wrote:
The Oracle wrote:It was widely expected that Wales would go for many changes for the Uruguay game (last game in the pool for us). Maybe we’ll need to go full strength again!

Not full strength, but I guess it depends on what the next two results are. I would rest a few key players, if we have made the quarters, but there must be a bit of a gap between that game and the quarters anyway. Guess it’s a discussion to have after the Fiji game and see where we are at.

Wales have a 4 day turn around between Fiji and Uruguay. They will have played the first team against Georgia and Australia so will have to look at perhaps a mix and match approach in the last two pool games? If they finish as runner up there is one less day of rest vs winning the group.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 26 Sep 2019, 11:35 am

LondonTiger wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:

Wales have a 4 day turn around between Fiji and Uruguay. They will have played the first team against Georgia and Australia so will have to look at perhaps a mix and match approach in the last two pool games? If they finish as runner up there is one less day of rest vs winning the group.

Also facing France is much better than facing England as while England are strong like France they have alot more guile.
If Wales are serious about being contenders the only game they should worry about is Australia. Show the other teams respect and make sure the players are focused but do you think NZ, England or SA would be worried about Fiji.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 26 Sep 2019, 12:10 pm

I'm not worried about either of those teams. The 10 days between Aus and Fiji works in our favour. It's difficult to guess how Fiji will be at that stage; they'll either capitulate against us, or throw the kitchen sink and just try to hurt us. We'll still win with a TBP. Wales should then make a few changes against Uruguay so we don't get burnt out, and I'd still expect a win with TBP.

The focus all along has been Australia. Win that and the pressure if off when we go into the final two pool games. A win against Aus and the world cup job is half done for Wales, because by then we'll have excellent momentum.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lauriehow Thu 26 Sep 2019, 5:06 pm

Great to see Uruguay win. The Cardiff Blues beat them 45-21 last November. I thought they were a bit lightweight but they never gave up and came back in the 2nd half. They sure looked fit.

lauriehow

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Thu 26 Sep 2019, 5:40 pm

Id kep Uruguay win in context....thy were excellent but Fiji have a habit of dropping goff last 1/3rd and I think they underestimated their opponents with selection. I expect us to comfortably put Uruguay away with 2nd team plus a first team bench

Pie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Sep 2019, 6:56 pm

Brendan wrote:So little stat for everyone.

Urugary have more MLR players in their squad then the USA or Canada.

The Uruguayan fans think that the MLR and the American Rugby Championship have helped them alot

That is a good stat, and on the basis of what we've seen compared to previous tournaments, seems totally fair as well. Thought the USA looked decent in patches today, albeit differently to Uruguay, and Canada were unlucky to be on the receiving end of an unreflective scoreline. Could easily have had a try bonus point themselves. No surprise really that a pro league has had short term, sizeable gains.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Sep 2019, 6:58 pm

Yeah, both Fiji and Uruguay have played their best games now, and fair play to them. Both could have won their openers.

It all hinges on Oz for Wales. Genuinely, beat Oz and we could very well be looking at a Wales v England final, which is definitely winnable. That's how much is at stake at the weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 27 Sep 2019, 1:12 pm

Hope Wales stuff Australia even though I am an Aussie. Tired of Cheikas bizarre whinging. I used to love him too.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2019, 1:32 pm

Yeah, Cheika has properly jumped off the deep end with the Hodge stuff. The act has grown tiring.

In typical Australian fashion, I can see them turning up and just blitzing Wales. A solid 10-15 point lead, with an admirable comeback from Wales. Just think we'll see a performance like Perth - where they've done their homework on Wales' weak points, like set piece, what to do with slow ball, exits, and defending the wide channel, which has been an issue for Wales for a while.

Can also expect some inventive ball in hand stuff, but considering they've opted for AAC, they're also taking the defensive side of things seriously, with Beale and Tomoua on the bench if and when they need to open up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2019, 1:34 pm

Hodge made an alarming revelation over his Rugby World Cup ban saying he had no "effective knowledge" of World Rugby's framework for high tackles. Hodge got cute in the hearing, word got out, now he and Cheika and Australian rugby look bad. Cheika did what all good Australians do.....drum up a siege mentality. But Cheika has done this too many times and it’s a tired tactic. The Aussies are done because their coach is too emotional.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 27 Sep 2019, 1:43 pm

miaow wrote:Yeah, Cheika has properly jumped off the deep end with the Hodge stuff. The act has grown tiring.

In typical Australian fashion, I can see them turning up and just blitzing Wales. A solid 10-15 point lead, with an admirable comeback from Wales. Just think we'll see a performance like Perth - where they've done their homework on Wales' weak points, like set piece, what to do with slow ball, exits, and defending the wide channel, which has been an issue for Wales for a while.

Can also expect some inventive ball in hand stuff, but considering they've opted for AAC, they're also taking the defensive side of things seriously, with Beale and Tomoua on the bench if and when they need to open up.

Yeah, I was pretty worried after the first All Blacks result, that Australia will start well and we will be chasing too much. If that does happen, we are probably going to struggle, as I don’t think we have enough game changers on the bench. Then you’d also probably see people like Shingler and maybe Patchell forcing play too much.

That said, it is undoubtedly the game we’ve targeted to be ready for training wise etc and we didn’t suffer from a poor start against Georgia. There’s a fair chance that the game will start very tight as well, with a lot of kicking.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri 27 Sep 2019, 1:51 pm

Wales will win by 2 scores. If they cant beat Oz by this stage they may as well forget about it.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next