The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

+28
profitius
Dollar Bill
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Pot Hale
king_carlos
TJ
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
bsando
cakeordeath
George Carlin
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
nickj
Brendan
jimbopip
RDW
Kingshu
tigertattie
32 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

banter - Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 13 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Sep 2019, 5:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well a new season is probably time to start off a new thread.

2 weeks to the start of the season and both sides with one more pre season game to go. A lot of unknowns this season again, due to the number of players away with Scotland and other countries for the WC.

For Glasgow, can they continue their general excellence that took them on a fantastic end of season run to the Pro 14 Final, where they just fell short. It might be their last campaign under Dave Rennie, so can they go one better?

Edinburgh also have questions to ask, the main one being whether they can ever pass the ball past the FH and how soon before their wingers are likely to go blue from hypothermia? On a more positive note though, they may finally be playing in Mini Murrayfield by autumn 2020. So only one more year to bear playing in the library!

Good luck to both teams for the coming season, though Edinburgh are more likely to need it than Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

banter - Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Dec 2019, 8:41 am

To be fair, neither of them are SHC, they are both established international players now. Price had his wobble as well, but has got over it fortunately. I imagine both would be in demand, both within and without of Scotland.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

banter - Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by RDW Mon 16 Dec 2019, 9:07 am

Any taker to do a (decent) 1872 annual slaughter of the Weegies thread?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 16 Dec 2019, 9:20 am

RDW wrote:Any taker to do a (decent) 1872 annual slaughter of the Weegies thread?

Well that rules me out

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 16 Dec 2019, 9:29 am

Time to redeem yourself Spoons!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 16 Dec 2019, 10:18 am

Yeah do it spoons. I get in trouble when I do it because it’s alleged that that I’m biased towards Edinburgh, almost as much as the perceived bias for Edinburgh that the SRU have.

All I do is point out that Edinburgh have an 80% win rate over the unwashed and I’m called out as having more fake news than Donald Trump’s stag weekends
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 16 Dec 2019, 10:55 am

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 16 Dec 2019, 2:54 pm

Jason O'Hallrohan confirmed to be leaving Glasgow and heading back to NZ at the end of the serason. He has been hinting at this for a while, with his family still based out there.

He has been a good coach but in a way it is good that Wilson will be able to have his own men in there with him when he starts. What is the betting that Mike Blair comes back in as full time attack coach?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 16 Dec 2019, 3:45 pm

i wonder if JOH was offered the head coach role and turned it down? I was sure he’d be next in line. Fair enough if he wants to return home hope he does well back there, he’s been a great coach for Scotland and Glasgow. 

I still think of Blair as too fresh for an attack coach role but that would be an interesting decision if they go that way. Will be interesting to see who fills the role.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Dec 2019, 8:07 pm

Taylor signed a new deal at Edinburgh. Very pleased with that. This lad is going to be an international.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 18 Dec 2019, 5:17 pm

If any of your teams are looking for another back-row then I was thinking Blade Thomson could be a prime target, as he is now a Scotland international. I think Scarlets hoped he would be available for them all season but now that isn't the case. Cassiem is in good form and seems to have overtaken him, whilst they seem to have sufficient cover at 6 behind Shingler now that they've recruited well in the lock department. I'm not sure how long his contract is, perhaps 2 years. At a Scottish team he doesn't run the risk of being involved in a release row which has been the case in the past so it is a move could benefit all parties.

If not then Arno Botha might be available should Munster not extend his contract. If that goes down I'm kinda hoping a Welsh team can bring him in.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Dec 2019, 5:20 pm

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Thomson moved to Scotland after his Scarlets deal - Glasgow being the obvious choice.

You never know though he may want to repay Scarlets loyalty in bringing him over and sign a new deal.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:00 am

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/nakarawa-will-return-to-rugby-in-a-matter-of-weeks

It had all gone bit quiet for a while but maybe the Naka saga is back on again.

Having him play against Benetton though, a couple of days after getting off the plane seems a bit far fetched!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:26 am

Article also mentions we tried to sign South Africa flanker Marco van Staden from the Bulls to no avail. Wonder whether this means Gibbins is off?

Meanwhile, Glasgow and incoming boss Danny Wilson are eager to strengthen their back-row options for next term, but have failed in a bid to lure South Africa flanker Marco van Staden from the Bulls.

The 24-year-old, capped three times, did not make Rassie Erasmus’ World Cup-winning squad, but delivered a string of outstanding performances in Super Rugby and featured for the Barbarians against Wales last month. While Glasgow have tracked Van Staden’s progress for several years, the flanker sees his future in South Africa as he pursues further international honours, especially with Francois Louw having now retired from Test duty.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:33 am

I think Gibbins may well be off, we have re-signed a few stalwarts already and he was not one of them. His level does seem to have dropped this year and we may have seen the best of him as a player. We may well be losing Fusaro and Matt Smith from our back row options as well, so are really in need of a decent openside, preferably one who will be around for the whole season. Maybe one of Darge or Boyle might move over from Edinburgh, hard to see why they would keep two promising youngsters in the same position but they would both be raw and need time to build into full professional rugby.

In other news, Brandon Thompson has torn a calf muscle and will be out for a few months. On face value, not such a great loss, but it does leave us dangerously short of FHs, especially when we go into the 6N period and Hastings will be away. Again. a lack of squad planning is coming back to haunt us.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:44 am

It looks as if Furra Linee may be left out of the 6N squad and cover fly half for Glasgow.That's if Toonie thinks it's time to start building towards the next World Cup.

I am utterly bewildered by Matt Smith's sudden fall from grace with DR. For a while he was seen as a very promising youngster, injuries to others meant he got a run in the first team and was outstandingly good, IMHO, but then he was injured and now it seems he is surplus to requirements. Baffling to say the least.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:49 am

Even if Horne is available it still leaves us light and one injury away from a crisis. I expect that Jacko wi be called into service as well.

Neither inspires me with great confidence!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:54 am

Well with Jacko at 10 we can have TS at 15. Smile

Mind you DR sees "slightly reluctant" to play Jackson at 10. He'll probably go with Why???

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 19 Dec 2019, 12:17 pm

jimbopip wrote:

I am utterly bewildered by Matt Smith's sudden fall from grace with DR. For a while he was seen as a very promising youngster, injuries to others meant he got a run in the first team and was outstandingly good, IMHO, but then he was injured and now it seems he is surplus to requirements.  Baffling to say the least.

An example of a poorly thought through plan. Lewis Wynne was in a similar sort of boat. Did well and seemed to be left in the cold all of a sudden. If Gibbins and Fusaro are off, then it would make sense for Smith to stay and replace Fusaro.

Van Standen would have been a solid choice. Gary Graham or Jake Polledri would be decent targets as well as neither are EQ'd. Blade runner would be good as well. A back-row of Thomson - M Fagerson - G Graham/Polledri should have a bit more to it than what we have at the moment but I am not sure how much is down to coaching. Rennie has really not got the most out of his back rowers and that is a place where Wilson may be able to adjust to get more out of it.

If Brandon Thomson has run out of steam, there is that 10 in the Super Six someone mentioned. It would be good to try and progress someone from the Super Six during the Six Nations.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Dec 2019, 12:47 pm

Ross Thompson, he is a Glasgow academy player, doing well playing for the Ayrshire Bulls

He may well see some game time this srason the way things are going!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Dec 2019, 2:00 pm

Do we think GL might come back to Scotland now?

He says in his interview that he wants to play on and he is definitely out of contract with Clermont at the end of this season.

If he was to come back you might imagine that Glasgow would be a better fit for both parties.

Edinburgh have three SHs on their books, none of whom are likely to be away playing internationally now and all are pretty decent options with a few more years, in the case of HP and Groom of life left in them.

Glasgow on the other hand, have Price and Horne, who will be away a lot and will also needf to be managed whilst they are there. Frisbee will hopefully be heading into retirement at the end of the season, or at least away from Glasgow and that just leaves the wunderkid. There could well be room for an experienced old hand who could help in the development of Dobie as well and could possibly help transition him into coaching as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Dec 2019, 2:02 pm

Yeah that could make sense - similar to what Mike Blair did. He said he wanted to get into coaching too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Dec 2019, 12:20 pm

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/rory-sutherland-regrets-nothing-edinburgh-rugby/

Fascinating tale about what happened to Rory Sutherland and why he dropped off the radar so dramatically and for so long. In all honesty, he is lucky to be back playing at all.

I know Ben Atiga has taken a bit of stick on here over the years and no one seems really exactly sure what he does at times. Well he does seem to have his uses and has clearly done a good job with Rory, fair play to him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 23 Dec 2019, 1:56 pm

Jonny Bell has left Glaws to join Glasgow as attack coach.

He is very highly rated by people who seem to know about these things. Not a bad Chrissie pressie.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Dec 2019, 1:57 pm

Johnny Bell, the ex Ireland centre, is moving to Scotstoun from Gloucester, where he is an assistant coach, to become the new attack coach for Glasgow next season.

I vaguely remember him as a player but he seems to have a fairly extensive coaching portfolio as well since hanging up his boots.

It seems as well that the other coaches, Dalziel and Murray are staying put as well, so this will be the new coaching setup under Danny Wilson next season.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Dec 2019, 1:57 pm

You beat me to the send button Jim!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 Dec 2019, 4:11 pm

BigGee wrote:https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/rory-sutherland-regrets-nothing-edinburgh-rugby/

Fascinating tale about what happened to Rory Sutherland and why he dropped off the radar so dramatically and for so long. In all honesty, he is lucky to be back playing at all.

I know Ben Atiga has taken a bit of stick on here over the years and no one seems really exactly sure what he does at times. Well he does seem to have his uses and has clearly done a good job with Rory, fair play to him.

Holy crap!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Dec 2019, 5:57 pm

https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/scotland-u18-training-squad-announced

A few familiar names in this squad, a junior Townsend and a junior Redpath. Will they be the players their dad's were?

Time will tell I guess.

Interesting that the second Redpath son seems happier to continue on the Scotland track. I still have not given up hope that the older one might commit to us as well somewhere down the line.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Dec 2019, 8:45 am

RDW wrote:
BigGee wrote:https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/rory-sutherland-regrets-nothing-edinburgh-rugby/

Holy crap!

That is an interesting read, and if Sutherland does go on to fulfil his early potential then that's a huge feather in the cap for Atiga (and Sutherland of course). I didn't know any of that, and it explains a lot.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 24 Dec 2019, 9:24 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW wrote:

Holy crap!

That is an interesting read, and if Sutherland does go on to fulfil his early potential then that's a huge feather in the cap for Atiga (and Sutherland of course). I didn't know any of that, and it explains a lot.

I dont think many knew about it.

Pardon the pun, not really, but props to Sutherland for getting back into the game.

What do you guys think? A Holywood film in the making? Sutherland, once confined to a wheelchair, captains Scotland to a world cup win in 2023.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Dec 2019, 4:15 pm

The film might be slightly niche!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Dec 2019, 4:19 pm

Merry Christmas all when it comes. May 2020 bring you all happiness, a Scotland grand slam and a Pro14 title for the mighty Edinburgh.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 26 Dec 2019, 12:08 pm

Well merry xmas everyone, hope you all got what you wished for!

Santa seems to have done a late drop at Murrayfield on his way back to Lapland, with the signings of Bennett, Carmichael and Crosbie all confirmed today.

Good business all round really, can't argue against any of those and they could be at the heart of anything Edinburgh do over the next few seasons.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 27 Dec 2019, 1:01 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/greig-laidlaw-clermont-auvergne/

GL defintely not staying at Clermont next season. It would be nice to see him at a Scottish club, but I doubt either would be able to pay him what he is worth.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 27 Dec 2019, 10:47 pm

BigGee wrote:Well merry xmas everyone, hope you all got what you wished for!

Santa seems to have done a late drop at Murrayfield on his way back to Lapland, with the signings of Bennett, Carmichael and Crosbie all confirmed today.

Good business all round really, can't argue against any of those and they could be at the heart of anything Edinburgh do over the next few seasons.

All fantastic business. Crosbie in particular has been very solid this season, and I think Carmichael has real potential provided he has the right 2nd row partner.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 27 Dec 2019, 10:50 pm

BigGee wrote:https://www.theoffsideline.com/greig-laidlaw-clermont-auvergne/

GL defintely not staying at Clermont next season. It would be nice to see him at a Scottish club, but I doubt either would be able to pay him what he is worth.

Who would he sign for in Scotland? I'd prefer him to Pyrgos but not to Groom or Shiel (on the bench).

He's retired from internationals so I honestly don't mind who he plays for. I just hope he gets a great contract and the chance to play some top quality club stuff. If we had a 3rd region, he'd be my first signing....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 28 Dec 2019, 1:07 am

Glasgow would probably be happy to take him. Horne and Price are almost certain to be away on Scotland duty for chunks of the season, and their current back-ups are Dobie (exciting talent, but very young), and Frisby (useless, and likely off at the end of the season). There's a place there for Laidlaw to back up the main two and mentor young Dobie, possibly with a view to going into coaching at some point. Question is whether he'd be prepared to take a sizeable pay cut and a reduced role.

Hard to say where he might fit in at Edinburgh. Another option (obviously) is one last big contract at another French club or in the Premiership. His being retired from internationals makes him more marketable there, and I can think of plenty of clubs where he'd be an upgrade on current options.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 28 Dec 2019, 8:46 am

I tend to agree with that and imagine he would fancy one last decent contract with a good club.

GL is still a classy operator with a laser like boot, someone will take him and he will be good value.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 29 Dec 2019, 4:48 pm

The laser like boot could help Glasgow, and Hastings could use some tuition in that regard!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 29 Dec 2019, 5:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:The laser like boot could help Glasgow, and Hastings could use some tuition in that regard!

I know he missed a pretty easy one yesterday, but to be fair Hastings has been kicking very well this season. There is though plenty AH could learn from GL as well as kicking. mainly how to manage a game.

I would love to see Laidlaw at Glasgow, but really hard to see how he would fit in. Price and Horne will be on decent money now and so how do you come up with what GL is worth as a third choice. There is also Dobie around who is already very promising and we are likely to see a lot more of during the 6N window and he needs to be accelerated up the rankings, not pushed back behind GL.

There are a lot more positions that we need to strengthen before SH unfortunately, so I very much doubt he will be coming to us, unless maybe the SRU offer him a part playing/part coaching role, but it may be to soon for him for that, he has said he fancies playing on for another couple of years.

There have been some rumours about Newcastle for him. They will certainly need some experienced hands if they come back up again and that might be near enough to home for him as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 29 Dec 2019, 5:09 pm

I just watched the Exeter v Sarries game, Hoggy played his part in a tough old win for the Chiefs, a very physical game.

The Exeter TH, Williams, managed to get himself sent off by Wayne barnes, for getting himself involved in a mass brawl after he had been subbed off, as he had already got a yellow card earlier in the game.

Hopefully he will get enough of a ban to missed the Glasgow game in a couple of weeks time, Exeter look very very good at the moment and we will need all the help we can get.

It does prove as well what we already knew, that props are not very bright!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 29 Dec 2019, 9:49 pm

John Barclay calling out Iain Morrison for writing utter pish:
https://twitter.com/johnbarc86/status/1211385631424811014?s=21

Barclay wrote:I don’t understand the point of this. Not only is this one of the most negative articles I have read, elements of it are completely incorrect

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 29 Dec 2019, 10:16 pm

Iain Morrison has been an awful journalist for a long time now but some of his more recent articles have been just disgraceful.

The Offside Line has been a great addition to Journalism about Scottish rugby, but they should really think very carefully about publishing any of his articles, as they are just awful.

I wonder what has gone on with him as to why he has become so nasty and bitter. He used to have the inside line a few regimes ago, but no-one will go near him with a bargepole now and you can see why.

If current players are openly calling him out on writing cr@p, then it really is time he found another job!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 29 Dec 2019, 10:41 pm

Robertson, who unlike Morrison, is a journalist in the know, is suggesting that the Nakarawa till the end of the season deal, is almost done and may be announced tomorrow.

Glasgow really need something to spark our season if we are going to have any chance of making the play offs, we need to be firing during the 6N, so I am all in favour of Leone coming back, even if it is short term.

We probably played our best rugby of the season over the two derby games but DR clearly no longer trusts his squad and we are playing serious catch up. 3rd spot is still possible but will need much more consistent form than we have shown so far.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 29 Dec 2019, 11:09 pm

Unfortunately Barclay has played right into Morrison and the Scotsman’s hands here.

Media these days is all about the clicks and by Barclay posting the article, many of his followers are now going to click the link (as I did) to see what all the fuss was about.

The Scotsman don’t care if folk like what they read or agree with it. They just walk up to their sponsors and say “look, 1000s more clicks today” - more money for them
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 30 Dec 2019, 8:24 am

I did read it and wander what had got into him - was really strange to be so negative after a superb attacking display from Darcy.

Tattie's right though - it's all about the clicks! I'm reading the Scotsman much less these days as you only get 5 free reads a week, and most of the interviews can be found on other sites.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 30 Dec 2019, 8:52 am

I gave up reading anything by Morrison and also the Scotsman a while back. As pointed out, Morrison is anti Scottish rugby which does seem counterproductive to his job. The Scotsman in general isn't much better they're just against everything. I also get sick of having to close hundreds of pop ups and adverts if I ever want to read anything on their site, so don't bother now. I used to enjoy their coverage, but now it's embarrassingly poor.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 30 Dec 2019, 9:03 am

Pretty much any article on Scottish Rugby that is published elsewhere, is usually up on the Offside Line not long afterwards. It is basically the same journalist publishing the same articles in different publications, the effect, rightly or wrongly of the decline in print based journalism.

Iain Morrison has only recently starting putting articles up on TOL and it is fair to say that he has not been a good addition to their stable, I hope they take note of the feedback coming his way and dump him asap!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 30 Dec 2019, 10:02 am

BigGee wrote:Pretty much any article on Scottish Rugby that is published elsewhere, is usually up on the Offside Line not long afterwards. It is basically the same journalist publishing the same articles in different publications, the effect, rightly or wrongly of the decline in print based journalism.

Iain Morrison has only recently starting putting articles up on TOL and it is fair to say that he has not been a good addition to their stable, I hope they take note of the feedback coming his way and dump him asap!

the only time when lifting above the horizontal is deemed acceptable!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 30 Dec 2019, 11:33 am

Laidlaw to Newcastle makes sense. As for Hastings' kicking, I just felt his body language wasn't there going into the first missed kick, and Glasgow went to corner thereafter (possibly tactical rather than a lack of faith in the kicker). I know his overall stats are ok, but he just doesn't look that confident stepping up. Captains often have to wrestle the ball off top international goal kickers, which is where he should aspire to be.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's already a fantastic player who is developing very nicely. I still think that there's mileage in testing out Russell and Hastings playing in tandem.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 30 Dec 2019, 1:01 pm

Robertson in the Mail is taking up the Laidlaw to Glasgow call as well, so maybe there may be something in it. It makes sense in all ways other than financial, as he could provide cover at FH as well as at SH, particularly when the international windows are in play.

In other news, Daryl Marfo signs for the Ospreys until the end of the season. It will be interesting to see how that one works out, especially if he plays against Edinburgh!

I imagine he might have a point to prove.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next