The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs USA - match thread

+32
Exiledinborders
Soul Requiem
Tramptastic
No9
BigGee
mikey_dragon
Scottrf
bluestonevedder
Heaf
Northgrill
SecretFly
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Duty281
Armchairexpert
king_carlos
hugehandoff
lostinwales
Barney McGrew did it
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
Taylorman
westisbest
majesticimperialman
TightHEAD
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
Rinsure
Poorfour
No 7&1/2
robbo277
36 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

England vs USA - match thread - Page 7 Empty England vs USA - match thread

Post by robbo277 Tue 24 Sep 2019, 10:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Much changed England team named this morning. Will add USA team as I find it.

ENGLAND:
Marler, Cowan-Dickie, Cole, Launchbury, Kruis, Curry, Ludlam, Vunipola, Heinz, Ford (C), Cokanasiga, Francis, Joseph, McConnochie, Daly
Singleton, Genge, Sinckler, Lawes, Wilson, Youngs, Farrell, Watson

USA:
Ainuu, Taufetee, Lamositele, Landry, Civetta, Lamborn, Quill, Dolan, Davies, Macginty, Iosefo, Lasike, Brache, Scully, Hooley
Fawsitt, Kilifi, Mullen, Peterson, Germishuys, De Hass, Campbell, Teo

Last edited by robbo277 on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

England vs USA - match thread - Page 7 Empty Re: England vs USA - match thread

Post by kingelderfield Sat 28 Sep 2019, 8:18 pm

Ofcourse I want an english coach to replace Jones, however if none of the required standard come forward, and the Irish Saracen turns us down, I'd be happy as.....to get Joseph on board.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2019, 8:43 pm

Club coaching and test management seems to be moving further and further apart by the year. Doesn't seem unreasonable for England to go for Joseph if they want to good times to continue, looks like the real deal.

Any English coach, or English based coach, is a risk. No one leaps out. I'd leave Baxter at Exeter/stay at Exe if I were Baxter. Saracens' power is in the money, no guarantees he tranfers Sarries' success to test level.

What's Lancaster and Farrell up to these days?

Na, think you're wise letting go of Farrell. Gatland would be the ideal choice for England, but thankfully that's not happening.

Time for some new blood maybe. How many recently retired English players have gone in to frontline coaching liek Stephen Jones and O'Gara? The Brand?

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 8:51 pm

Was just thinking What if, if, England go on and win the RWC. Would Eddie Jones be offered a new contact? or would he still be stepping down after the RWC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:14 pm

miaow, while money is a big benefit to Saracens, their success is much more than just money. They do so many things in the organisation of that club.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:15 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Was just thinking What if, if, England go on and win the RWC. Would Eddie Jones be offered a new contact? or would he still be stepping down after the RWC.

His contract is until 2021 I believe.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:29 pm

I thought his contract ended after the RWC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 28 Sep 2019, 9:53 pm

Eddie’s contract is until half way through the next cycle. The idea is for him to help pick his successor and manage the transition. I think that’s potentially a good plan if they can find the right candidate.

I say potentially because that candidate needs to be exactly right: it needs to be someone who has the humility to work for Eddie, but the ambition and vision to step up to the top role after that.

They also need to be someone who has already been to the RWC, either as an assistant coach or as coach of a smaller nation. The RWC is such a different environment from anything else in world rugby that it’s hard for a coach to manage a team through it if they haven’t been there already.

Or, if England do well this time, the pressure to extend Eddie to a full second cycle will build. Whether he’s up for it is another question - but he may feel that he has unfinished business one way or another.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:11 pm

Well depending on the outcome of the world cup obvious options at the moment are:jones continues, mitchell, borthwick, McCall.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:19 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well depending on the outcome of the world cup obvious options at the moment are:jones continues, mitchell, borthwick, McCall.

Gatland, Joseph.

Smile

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 28 Sep 2019, 10:23 pm

Well thank goodness it's not gatland. I was pleased he ruled himself out as personally I think he falters with too large a selection of players. Joseph if be very surprised with. Guess it all depends on who applies. That's not even a piss take on a wales theme.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:23 pm

LondonTiger wrote:miaow, while money is a big benefit to Saracens, their success is much more than just money. They do so many things in the organisation of that club.

No doubt. It's just part of my wider point that test coaching is getting more and more unlike club coaching as a job. Success isn't a guaranteed transfer. It would be like taking Ferguson/Mourinho/Guardiola/Klopp as they were dominating a domestic league and asking them to take over the national team of the country they were winning in. Saracens beat everyone off the field before they beat them on it. I don't see why he'd leave, personally, unless it's a personal ambition. Keep the machine rolling, I would have thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:25 pm

Forgot about Borthwick. Seems like a Joe Schmidt type coach. He's been around, hasn't he? He had a job before Japan I think? Would potentially be a good fit, but it's a huge job. We've seen Eddie have a big wobble and get a few things very wrong, and he's got all the pedigree you could hope for. No obvious English candidate to me, but Borthwick isn't a bad shout. Might benefit from being a #2 for now though.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:40 pm

Joseph is obviously a good coach. Can't forget a certain match from when he was a player. I am sure Kyran Bracken hasn't forgotten it either.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7