The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+21
TM2K
EmmDee57
JDizzle
Beer
incontinentia
LadyPutt
Davie
dynamark
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
JAS
pedro
BlueCoverman
Be_the_ball
superflyweight
I'm never wrong
Plunky
super_realist
beninho
McLaren
navyblueshorts
25 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 5 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Aug 2019, 2:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Ben

I am not doubting jas and believe him that the guy handed in a score for 51 points. I am just astonished by 51 points, as I said this is a score that I have never seen before. This is more about acknowledging the rarity of this event.

We are talking rarer than a hole in one, this guy has shot a nett score that only a handful people will ever have shot.

It just seems like others on here are not as blown away by a 20 handicapper shooting +5 as I am.
As a junior in the early 80s, I shot a nett 56 (a +4 or 5 round I think) and a 58 in the same Summer. I didn't cheat, but I did get cut a lot that year.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 5 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by JAS Mon 01 Jun 2020, 11:51 am

3rd weekend outing for me and finally some golf turned up, well scoring golf. After an awful 28 point hack the first week back followed by 27 points in an admittedly very breezy last weekend, this weekend I managed a confidence building 40 points. Could have been better, could have been worse, missed a couple of relatively short putts but equally found my ball in a couple of places I had no right to expect to find it. Pleasing that the good ball striking is back, just the occasional big block.

Feels quite strange to be in June and the season only just starting. Hoping that the lockdown continues to ease and the Opens I'm booked on can happen.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 5 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm

super_realist wrote:Excellent Mac.
Didn't have to interact with a single person other than my playing partner. 2m observed at all times.  Birdied the first hole but topped my tee shot off the second but other than that very good indeed. Five birdies and my best ever day with my driver so hoping to have found something there.
Course looks very different with just two balls, daisies on the fairways, no caddies, course furniture etc, like stepping back in time.

What course did you play?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Jun 2020, 12:58 pm

TOC

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Jun 2020, 1:23 pm

Sounds perfect.

How did your playing partner feel about the distance you had travelled to play?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Jun 2020, 1:29 pm

He's not a pearl clutching wet lettuce so he was fine. He understood that we were never closer than 2m and that he is more at risk going to the supermarket than me driving in my car alone to play outside at a distance of 2m plus.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 06 Jun 2020, 9:04 am

I played a course that had struggled over the closure, but only one I could get on as a guest. I had a lot of rubbish, mixed in with a some decent stuff at times. Good to actually play, regardless of the terrible score!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 06 Jun 2020, 10:02 am

Good stuff. Good to see people playing again. Courses look very odd though, like a snapshot from the 1950's.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 06 Jun 2020, 10:36 am

I'm actually looking forward to my game assessment next week. While, I'm not looking at anything drastic, it will be interesting to point out some clearly wrong things I do. I just need to get the inconsistencies out my game.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 06 Jun 2020, 10:42 am

It's difficult coming out of so long out without forgetting some of what i'd learned in lessons up until that point. Some bad habits have bound to have crept back in.
Must go through my emails and check the advice.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 06 Jun 2020, 3:50 pm

Played my first round since early March yesterday. Ball striking was good, short game not so good. Course was parched after all the dry weather. Looking forward to playing more regularly. How often do you get lessons super? I got a group of 5 last year and am still focusing on what I was told then. Couldnt believe how crap my swing was til i saw it on video
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 06 Jun 2020, 3:55 pm

Pre covid I'd been getting one every 5 weeks and was really getting somewhere in the last couple developing/rediscovering a nice draw which I'd been missing.
I think your own swing is something you'll always feel looks terrible, no matter how much you work on it a bit like hearing your own voice always feels horrible.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 06 Jun 2020, 6:40 pm

The guy I'm seeing charges £50 for an hour. Its £25 for the assessment. But 50 notes seems pretty pricey.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 06 Jun 2020, 6:55 pm

beninho wrote:The guy I'm seeing charges £50 for an hour. Its £25 for the assessment. But 50 notes seems pretty pricey.

I was away to say that's pretty steep, but it's not bad. I'm about 75 for a block of three half hour lessons that usually extend to a bit longer. The interesting bit is the trackman data which shows what effect the changes made are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 06 Jun 2020, 7:08 pm

thats what I'm really looking forward to seeing. My swing and maybe an idea of how far I can hit it. I think I have too closed a club, which makes things harder as you go down the clubs. When it all works the shots are lovely though! Just very inconsistent.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 07 Jun 2020, 7:01 am

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super

How did your domic Cummings golf trip go?

Thats a bit harsh Mac, most of the courses down our way are members only at the moment. If up there is the same then Super perhaps wouldn't be able to play closer to home. So he has clearly made a judgement and followed his instincts....oops scrub that last bit :-p

Besides, they can hardly turn me back when they allow mass gatherings of moronic virtue signallers to gather from all over the country and spread the virus in our largest cities without even trying to disperse them or hand them fines can they?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 08 Jun 2020, 11:45 pm

Had a very queer experience on the golf course this evening.. the first few holes were the worst ball striking ever, I had the shanks and was simply unable to hit the ball. By the end of the round I was hitting it superbly, especially the irons. The feeling of despair you get when you cant stop shanking it is bloody awful.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 09 Jun 2020, 11:39 am

Super

Have you played much since the courses reopened?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 09 Jun 2020, 12:16 pm

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/scottish-golf-urged-reinforce-travel-guidelines-2877351

It seems golfers travelling more than 5 miles might be getting cracked down on. Please don't do it super, you might be jeopardising everyone's access to the game.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 10 Jun 2020, 12:44 pm

McLaren wrote:https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/scottish-golf-urged-reinforce-travel-guidelines-2877351

It seems golfers travelling more than 5 miles might be getting cracked down on. Please don't do it super, you might be jeopardising everyone's access to the game.

All he needs to say is he’s testing if his eyesight is ok to drive. PM will back ‘im

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 10 Jun 2020, 12:52 pm

Haven't posted in ages.

Was starting to get some consistency at the end of the year, but couldn't break 100 (very average golfer here), first round back shot 91. Then followed with 92 and a 93. Invested in a 2 Iron as I still can't use a Driver. Purchased some Nike Slingshots with a recovery 3 and 4 which have made a massive difference. Playing once a week at my local course, so nice to be out.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 10 Jun 2020, 2:42 pm

Beer, great shooting to knock a few shots off your scores. The consistency of the result from hybrids vs long irons can be a real shot saver. It is no doubt a great feeling to nail a long iron out of the sweet spot, but how often does that happen. Much better to have the added muscle for those off centre hits.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 12 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

Tee'd off at 9:30 this morning. Played well by my standards, shot 82 (par 71). Still lots of room for improvement, would love to get to single figures this year or next (currently 15).

I noticed a lump at the bottom of my left ring finger a few months ago. Went to the doctor who told me its a hebridean node and is harmless. But it has been slightly painful when gripping the golf club (I play right handed). I may have to switch to left-handed golf if it gets any worse! I'd say that would be fun.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 13 Jun 2020, 4:57 pm

Had an initial game assessment, hit some 7 urons and watched sone videos. It seems my club is very closed, and that I also hit almost every shot to the right, even though they all end up left.

Anyway, booked a lesson and need to work on clubface and then swing path. Even hitting some half shots and thinking about the club face more showed an immediate change.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 13 Jun 2020, 9:58 pm

I wonder how golf lessons will work these days. I had a few last year and the coach was very hands on, always adjusting my arms etc into the right positions. I just dont think distance teaching would be as effective.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Jun 2020, 11:06 am

Played another round saturday evening. My playing partners were not practicing social distancing, at one point one of them came right up to my face to whisper something while another guy was taking a shot Sad

Game is in decent shape- driving superb, irons pretty good but the short game needs a lot of work. Am down to play again in the morning.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Jun 2020, 2:29 pm

Maybe it is too long after lockdown was eased to still blame rust, but I am finding it really hard to score well. My ball striking is fine and short game getting better but I keep messing up rounds. I turn what could be done a round of what should be no worse than a few over par into one that is 5 or 6 over. And it never feels terrible it's just more bogies have crept into my game.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 15 Jun 2020, 2:38 pm

What is your handicap these days Mac? Doesnt sound like you're doing too badly if you're only losing 2 or 3 shots per round.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 15 Jun 2020, 2:45 pm

Only my second game back since suffering a deep vein thrombosis and a Pulmonary embolism. (Blood clot that went onto my lung). My second one. So not expecting much. But got 30 points and managed to birdie the hardest hole on the course. But felt very tired after 15 holes. Will keep pushing myself gently, but might take a buggy in one if the three rounds I play in a week.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Jun 2020, 5:09 pm

inco

Low'ish but not super low singe figures.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 15 Jun 2020, 5:44 pm

I punished myself this weekend. As a little motivational tool I promised myself I'd do 10 minutes on the exercise bike for every shot over my handicap I was on Saturdays Stableford round.

Had a 2 hour session on the bike yesterday...yep a 24 point blob-fest on Saturday eurghhh!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 16 Jun 2020, 12:55 pm

Played poorly this morning. Was aiming for around 80 and ended up shooting about 90. 6 pars, 8 bogeys, 2 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey and 1 scratch. Felt a bit rushed due to the guys behind playing pretty close to us (my group wasnt playing slow, got the round done in 3 hours!). I feel like a better shot routine and focus would yield substantial benefits. Must try to get out for a practice 9 tomorrow at some stage.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 16 Jun 2020, 1:35 pm

Yeh sub 3 hours just feels horrible unless you are playing alone. No idea why people rush like idiots. Why would you want the most enjoyable activity of the day to be over so quickly. (reply with low brow joke if you feel the need)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 16 Jun 2020, 1:55 pm

Agree with that Mac. No excuse for slow play, but it's not a sprint.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 16 Jun 2020, 1:56 pm

incontinentia wrote:Played poorly this morning. Was aiming for around 80 and ended up shooting about 90. 6 pars, 8 bogeys, 2 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey and 1 scratch. Felt a bit rushed due to the guys behind playing pretty close to us (my group wasnt playing slow, got the round done in 3 hours!). I feel like a better shot routine and focus would yield substantial benefits. Must try to get out for a practice 9 tomorrow at some stage.

Lol the next worst thing to a slow group in front is a pushy group behind. Both together is a nightmare and it’s hard not to feel rushed.

We’re now at 10 minute tee time intervals and it’s amazing how much extra space that creates.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 16 Jun 2020, 2:11 pm

JAS wrote:We’re now at 10 minute tee time intervals and it’s amazing how much extra space that creates.
But it makes for nightmare booking. We've gone from 8 minute intervals to 10. That means a drop of 3 tee times for 2 hours. So potentially 60 people lose out per day. My club has a waiting list, so it is full, and people want to play. At my club we can book 10 days in advance by phone (9 days online). Booking opens at 7 am. I made over 160 calls until I got through this morning. Can't wait for everyone to go back to work to free up time for us retirees.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 16 Jun 2020, 2:27 pm

Our club had a tradition of no scheduled tee times. That changed with the pandemic and the need to spread golfers out as well as accommodate the built-up demand. I can't stand it ... much preferred to roll up and get out (never waited more than 45 minutes).

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 16 Jun 2020, 2:28 pm

Shotrock wrote:Our club had a tradition of no scheduled tee times. That changed with the pandemic and the need to spread golfers out as well as accommodate the built-up demand. I can't stand it ... much preferred to roll up and get out (never waited more than 45 minutes).

You do play at a course that's in a different league to what most of us play at Shotrock..... :-)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 16 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm

Its 14 mins between tee times at my place
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 16 Jun 2020, 4:55 pm

My club is pretty quiet. Always spare tee times in most 2 hour intervals. Other than 8 through 10 am when the old guys book it all up.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 16 Jun 2020, 7:02 pm

Apart from a couple if tee times Sunday afternoon, nothing available at my club fir the next 9 days unless you want to play at 6pm.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 16 Jun 2020, 9:23 pm

6pm is the perfect time to tee off in the summer. You get the great summer evening conditions. such a nice atmosphere to play golf in.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 18 Jun 2020, 3:16 pm

Do any of you folks write down your shots etc after a round for analysis purposes? I'm thinking a more data-driven approach to improvement may be helpful. Below are my notes of my last round. Please don't scoff.

1. Good drive, poorish 8 iron approach (right), 2 putts. Par
  2. Good drive, goodish 5 iron approach (gir), 3 putts. Bogey.
  3. Terrible 5 iron tee shot, excellent approach, 1 putt. Par
  4. Good drive (right), poorish approach (short right), very good chip over bunker, 2 putts. Bogey.
  5. Excellent tee shot, 3 putts (missed short one coming back). Bogey.
  6. Terrible tee shot, low pull draw. Chip out to fairway. Excellent approach, 3 putts?. Double Bogey.
  7. Great drive, terrible hybrid approach (very thinned), good chip, 2 putts. Bogey. 
  8. Poor drive, very high and strong fade. Poor chip out to fairway. 2nd chip out to fairway. Poor 6 iron approach (missed right). Good chip. 2 putts. DB
  9. Poor drive, left rough. Excellent recovery approach. 2 putts. Par.
  10. Good drive, good 3 wood from the fairway 2nd shot, good pitch, 2 putts. Par.
  11. Good 6 iron to green. 2 putts. Par.
  12. Poor drive to the right, blocked out by trees for 2nd shot, had to chip to fairway. Excellent approach, 2 putts. Bogey.
  13. Poor drive to the left trees, couldnt make proper shot to the green for 2nd so tried to hit low 6 iron to green, ended up in greenside bunker. 2 Bunker shots (?) and 2 putts. Bogey
  14. Terrible drive to left trees, lost ball. Dropped ball and played good shot to just short of the green. Chip and 1 putt. Bogey. 
  15. Very good 3 wood tee shot to ideal place. Good PW to green, 2 putts. Par
  16. Bad drive to left trees. Put attempted recovery shot in the water. Shanked pitch. Chip to green. 2 putts. Triple bogey.
  17. Good strike on tee shot but ball caught greenside bunker. Many shots in bunker, several putts. Scratch.
  18. Very good drive. Good 7 iron approach. 3 putts. Bogey
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Jun 2020, 3:18 pm

I usually jot down how many fairways and greens I've hit, how many times I got up and down and how many putts.
That's enough for me to see where I need to improve.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 18 Jun 2020, 3:42 pm

You're not interested in direction of misses, quality of driving vs irons etc? I feel like my perception of my strengths and weaknesses can be quite different to reality, for example I feel like I'm driving the ball well at the moment but the notes above tell a different story.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Jun 2020, 3:44 pm

incontinentia wrote:You're not interested in direction of misses, quality of driving vs irons etc? I feel like my perception of my strengths and weaknesses can be quite different to reality, for example I feel like I'm driving the ball well at the moment but the notes above tell a different story.

I take note of where I missed the green.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 21 Jun 2020, 10:09 pm

I defied the elements last night and played about 12 holes in strong wind and rain. Having left my rain gear out to dry after the last rainy round, I forgot to put them back in the golf bag so I got very drenched. I also played poorly. It was not fun.

My distance off the tee has been a bit disappointing. I estimate my driver carry to be about 200 metres, which probably isnt the worst but as a reasonably strong and flexible 35 year old man I feel I should be doing better. Maybe a new driver would help, I'm still hitting an old Ping G5 (when did they come out, around 2008?!). I know control is more important, with some of the par 4's at my club around 400 metres it can be very disappointing to have a 200 metre 2nd shot.
incontinentia
incontinentia

McLaren likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon 22 Jun 2020, 9:46 am

incontinentia wrote:You're not interested in direction of misses, quality of driving vs irons etc? I feel like my perception of my strengths and weaknesses can be quite different to reality, for example I feel like I'm driving the ball well at the moment but the notes above tell a different story.

You could try using a shot scope watch (or accros) - records your shots and stats and when you upload your round onto the app/website thingy is shows you what your did where. www.shotscope.com

Sounds like you might like it inco - the V2 is only a bit over GBP 100 now I think.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 22 Jun 2020, 10:30 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:

You could try using a shot scope watch (or accros) - records your shots and stats and when you upload your round onto the app/website thingy is shows you what your did where. www.shotscope.com

Sounds like you might like it inco - the V2 is only a bit over GBP 100 now I think.
Thanks Roller, I'll check that out  OK
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 22 Jun 2020, 12:12 pm

inco

That is dedication to the cause.

200m is 218 yards, which is short but not super short for a club golfer. In my experience even lower handicap players aren't carrying it much more than 250 yards. There are certainly loads of sub 5 players who dunt it out sub 250.

I am sure a current gen driver would get you up to 10 yards but ultimately it sounds like you are lacking club/ball speed.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 22 Jun 2020, 1:15 pm

With low wind and firm fairways I can sometimes get 230m/250 yards (carry and roll). But into the wind or in soft conditions I feel quite impotent. For example, a recent drive (into the wind and admittedly with much too high a trajectory) only went about 195 metres total. 

Have any of you folks succeeded in adding yards to your tee shots?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next