The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+21
TM2K
EmmDee57
JDizzle
Beer
incontinentia
LadyPutt
Davie
dynamark
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
JAS
pedro
BlueCoverman
Be_the_ball
superflyweight
I'm never wrong
Plunky
super_realist
beninho
McLaren
navyblueshorts
25 posters

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 16 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Aug 2019, 2:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Ben

I am not doubting jas and believe him that the guy handed in a score for 51 points. I am just astonished by 51 points, as I said this is a score that I have never seen before. This is more about acknowledging the rarity of this event.

We are talking rarer than a hole in one, this guy has shot a nett score that only a handful people will ever have shot.

It just seems like others on here are not as blown away by a 20 handicapper shooting +5 as I am.
As a junior in the early 80s, I shot a nett 56 (a +4 or 5 round I think) and a 58 in the same Summer. I didn't cheat, but I did get cut a lot that year.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 16 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by super_realist Tue 13 Jun 2023, 7:16 am

1st round Club Champ win last night. Not bad for a part time golfer.

super_realist

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 16 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 16 Jun 2023, 2:15 pm

One of my best rounds today, albeit the tees were at the front and I was in a buggy. Shot 82 which is 7 under handicap. 8 pars, 8 bogeys and 2 doubles. Really kept it together. Hope to keep the form going for Monday for the second and final round of Seniors Cahmpionship although I am 9 shots behind in the nett competition. (14 behind in the gross). It's the "Championship Season" at our club, when most of the big competitions are played so the course is in tip top condition.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 16 Jun 2023, 2:47 pm

Given up using my driver on the tee now, going long iron when needed - slicing too much now, lost a bit of confidence.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 17 Jun 2023, 4:30 pm

Monthly Medal today. Great stuff: +18 off a 3 hcp. No idea where the ball's going at the moment. A bit depressing, but there's always next time!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jun 2023, 5:58 pm

Got beat in Club Champ Semi last night. Lack of games this year finally catching up on me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Sun 18 Jun 2023, 11:58 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Monthly Medal today. Great stuff: +18 off a 3 hcp. No idea where the ball's going at the moment. A bit depressing, but there's always next time!

Know the feeling, played Harburn Open yesterday (course in West Lothian relatively near me) and shot 80, also off 3. Tough game when the ball could go anywhere and the putts aren't dropping.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Jun 2023, 12:03 pm

super_realist wrote:Got beat in Club Champ Semi last night. Lack of games this year finally catching up on me.

I got put out pretty meekly in my club champs. Had a putt to go 2 up and before I knew it I was out 3&2. My opponent didn't even have to play very well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 19 Jun 2023, 2:24 pm

omg, it's not just me then? Navy, Ralph, Mac what do you think is going on at the minute? I'm struggling to break 90 at the moment and forget the last round I never had at least one quadruple on my card. Confidence is shot to Poopie. I'm actually in danger of losing single figures if it doesn't turn around soon.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 19 Jun 2023, 5:06 pm

I'm never wrong wrote: Hope to keep the form going for Monday for the second and final round of Seniors Championship although I am 9 shots behind in the nett competition. (14 behind in the gross). It's the "Championship Season" at our club, when most of the big competitions are played so the course is in tip top condition.

Well I did manage to keep it going. Shot 1 under my handicap today despite losing two balls. Two birdies made up for those. I'm going to be just outside the top 10 for both gross and nett, but will win some money for todays performance. Happy bunny.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 19 Jun 2023, 9:15 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:Got beat in Club Champ Semi last night. Lack of games this year finally catching up on me.

I got put out pretty meekly in my club champs. Had a putt to go 2 up and before I knew it I was out 3&2. My opponent didn't even have to play very well.
Those are the worst Mac, don't mind getting beaten, but if you give it away it's tough to take. 
I was 2 down after 8, hit every green from then on in, didn't win a hole. Opponent got up and down five times in a row where even one slip would have opened the door. 
Fair play to him for that, but hard to take.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 20 Jun 2023, 4:43 pm

JAS wrote:omg, it's not just me then? Navy, Ralph, Mac what do you think is going on at the minute? I'm struggling to break 90 at the moment and forget the last round I never had at least one quadruple on my card. Confidence is shot to Poopie. I'm actually in danger of losing single figures if it doesn't turn around soon.
Bad, isn't it?

I think I picked up on something at the end of the recent nightmare medal - have always stood fairly far from ball, and think it's both got too far recently and I'm not as flexible as I once was! Played in 2nd round of our scratch singles KO yesterday evening and although lost 3&2 in the end, radar was definitely a lot better and hit some seriously good shots with some really good ball/turf contact, something that didn't happen on Saturday. Driving a lot better, both impact and direction, too. One swallow and all that, but optimistic - need to get out on the practice range to do some research and get familiar with new setup.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 21 Jun 2023, 1:07 pm

Strange you lads ( laughing ) are struggling because at my club, where the fairways are burnt to a crisp and running like f**k, the winning scores in the last 3 competitions have been nett 62, 45 points and nett 61! I’ve not been able to play the last two weeks for various reasons and I’m quite glad because the conditions are giving people false handicap readings. Come the winter with no run on the ball they’ll struggle to break par.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Jun 2023, 2:52 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Strange you lads ( laughing ) are struggling because at my club, where the fairways are burnt to a crisp and running like f**k, the winning scores in the last 3 competitions have been nett 62, 45 points and nett 61! I’ve not been able to play the last two weeks for various reasons and I’m quite glad because the conditions are giving people false handicap readings. Come the winter with no run on the ball they’ll struggle to break par.

It's that running which cost me a club champ final. In normal soft course conditions my opponent would be  miles back, but he skittered every drive level with me. 
Can't blame him for me not holing birdie putts though. Everything aligned for him and fair play for that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 21 Jun 2023, 4:40 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Strange you lads ( laughing ) are struggling because at my club, where the fairways are burnt to a crisp and running like f**k, the winning scores in the last 3 competitions have been nett 62, 45 points and nett 61! I’ve not been able to play the last two weeks for various reasons and I’m quite glad because the conditions are giving people false handicap readings. Come the winter with no run on the ball they’ll struggle to break par.
My problem, apart from a defective radar, is that our course ctte. (the usual - populated by amateur course designers) think it's somehow clever (as we're the County course this year) to grow the rough (wispy stuff, almost knee-high that strangles club shafts) even just off the fairway and under the trees. Try keeping your ball on the short stuff regularly when the course is set up like that and it's playing firm - last round on our 9th (par 5, right-to-left camber on fairway all the way to green) hit a great tee shot down the middle that finished in the rough left in almost unplayable lie, about 6 feet off the fairway. What fun!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 21 Jun 2023, 6:58 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Strange you lads ( laughing ) are struggling because at my club, where the fairways are burnt to a crisp and running like f**k, the winning scores in the last 3 competitions have been nett 62, 45 points and nett 61!
Last Saturdays stableford competition at my club was won by a 27 handicapper who got 47 points with two blobs (he did record his scores on those two holes and would have ended up with a nett 57), who beat a 9 handicapper with 46 points who had a hole in one on a 200 yard par3.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 22 Jun 2023, 9:18 am

I'm never wrong wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:Strange you lads ( laughing ) are struggling because at my club, where the fairways are burnt to a crisp and running like f**k, the winning scores in the last 3 competitions have been nett 62, 45 points and nett 61!
Last Saturdays stableford competition at my club was won by a 27 handicapper who got 47 points with two blobs (he did record his scores on those two holes and would have ended up with a nett 57), who beat a 9 handicapper with 46 points who had a hole in one on a 200 yard par3.
At least he’s probably not off 27 any more - which is what handicapping is all about.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 22 Jun 2023, 12:11 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:
At least he’s probably not off 27 any more - which is what handicapping is all about.
Just looked it up - he was cut around 4 shots.

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 22 Jun 2023, 3:42 pm

Sounds like everyone up to your course for an Open LP !!

I do think course condition plays a part. We went from winter rules & mud balls to hard pan in less then 2 weeks and at the same time the rough went from being slightly annoying but almost always findable to miss a fairway and it's reload time (with the added side effect of 5 hour rounds caused by people not taking provisionals and having to take "walks of shame" back to the tee.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Jun 2023, 4:13 pm

Hard running  conditions certainly help higher handicappers out in terms of distance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 23 Jun 2023, 5:07 pm

JAS wrote:Sounds like everyone up to your course for an Open LP !!

I do think course condition plays a part. We went from winter rules & mud balls to hard pan in less then 2 weeks and at the same time the rough went from being slightly annoying but almost always findable to miss a fairway and it's reload time (with the added side effect of 5 hour rounds caused by people not taking provisionals and having to take "walks of shame" back to the tee.
Agreed JAS. I've gone from two clubs more in winter to one club less than I normally take for a particular distance. 3 club difference.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 26 Jun 2023, 6:28 pm

Oh dear, now in serious danger of losing single figure status. 82, 88 in club champs at the weekend bumped up to 7.2 and my next sound to drop is a 72. 4 of the next 5 are mid to high 70s and I haven't broken 80 for weeks. Not only that, Ive been in bad places before and at least thought, "well I'm playing well just not scoring, I can feel it coming, its only a matter of time" At the moment I feel nothing but a vacuum where confidence should be, totally totally lost.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 26 Jun 2023, 6:29 pm

Where are you losing strokes JAS?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 26 Jun 2023, 7:14 pm

super_realist wrote:Where are you losing strokes JAS?

Off the tee, absolutely off the tee and long game, short game is still decent, putting doesn't feel great but is working and up and down age aint bad but a bit academic when I'm trying to get up and down for a double or a triple. Reckon I went through a BOX of balls in June. Provisional is my most commonly used on course word!!

...and before somebody chimes in with...just take irons...same result, it's embarrassing.

It probably started off physical but it's now mental as well.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Jun 2023, 9:56 am

Do you ever get lessons?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Jun 2023, 2:51 pm

super_realist wrote:Do you ever get lessons?

Stopped seeing my regular coach about 6years ago, was 7.4 at the time. Did have a couple of lessons with a top coach soon after and got back down to 5 pretty quickly, hung around 5/6 then got down as low as 3 about 2 years ago but since then it's been decline, plateau, decline, plateau, decline. I'm now 7.2 (which means 8 most courses) but after this weekend unless I shoot a 72 or better I'm going higher

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Jun 2023, 3:45 pm

Best golf I have played tee to green was when I was getting regular lessons every 5-6 weeks. Helped the mental side of being confident I would hit it where I wanted. 

A man of your financial means could manage I'm sure.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Jun 2023, 4:26 pm

super_realist wrote:Best golf I have played tee to green was when I was getting regular lessons every 5-6 weeks. Helped the mental side of being confident I would hit it where I wanted. 

A man of your financial means could manage I'm sure.

I am coming to that conclusion to be honest, trouble is finding a good long term option, I think going to my old coach would be a retrograde step, there wasn't any acrimony or anything, I just stopped seeing him and didn't say why, it was difficult to arrange sessions, he was always super busy with the juniors and to be fair doing a fantastic job (two of whom have gone on to international caps).

I have been looking around thinking about where to go but it has to fit around evenings and weekends as I'm crazy busy work wise. Have thought about seeing John Jacobs (Top 25 coach) as he's not far away (20 mins) but equally he cant be far away from retirement either. I need to make a decision about engaging someone and go with it though

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 28 Jun 2023, 4:38 pm

Hard to find a good one granted. Maybe a hungry assistant would be good as a stop gap. 
Doesn't sound like you need much, probably alignment, set up, tempo. 
Slowing down always helps my game out in virtually all aspects.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 28 Jun 2023, 6:08 pm

JAS - check your PM's

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 30 Jun 2023, 2:12 pm

Can't seem to do anything wrong lately. been in the money the last two Mondays. Nett one over par Wednesday with an 7,8 and a 9 on the card and today a nett 4 under with a 7 on the card. When I keep it on the fairway, things go well.

I'm never wrong

LadyPutt, JAS and super_realist like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Jul 2023, 4:03 pm

Things are beginning to turn around 4 over through 15 holes Sat, although to be fair a LOT of that was down to good chipping, nicely heading for mid 70s then triple, triple, bogey finish and a deep deep sense of self loathing. Defo have a mental thing on 16th at the moment (where I was 7 off the tee 3-4 weeks ago). 17 was just a hangover from the events of the 16th.

Ironically in an inter club 4bbb match yesterday I hit the 16th fairway for the first time in a month and had a short birdie putt (didn't need it as opponents were all over the place - I know how they felt!!).

So up to 8.1 with a couple of counters dropping in next 3 rounds. That being said I've got a feel that things are definitely turning. I think I've nailed what been causing the spraying off the tee and pretty much proved it in the matchplay yesterday (more than double the amount of fairways hit compared to my June average.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 11 Jul 2023, 1:10 pm

Jas

Have you hit any of the caps for handicap increase under the WHS system?

Over the years I have found that I only really enjoy matchplay. Which isn't surprising given that is the origins of the game.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 26 Jul 2023, 4:28 pm

Qualifier off the back tees today. Didn't score very well (32 points) due to after effects of a bad cold earlier in the week. But I managed to birdie the 16th hole today (521 yards into the wind) with a driver, 3 wood, 3 wood and a monster putt. The point of this is that I have now birdied (or better) ALL the holes on my course. The 16th was the one left outstanding. Only taken me 5 years to do it. My eclectic for the course is 50. (Par 70). I expect you all can easily better that.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Jul 2023, 6:15 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Qualifier off the back tees today. Didn't score very well (32 points) due to after effects of a bad cold earlier in the week. But I managed to birdie the 16th hole today (521 yards into the wind) with a driver, 3 wood, 3 wood and a monster putt. The point of this is that I have now birdied (or better) ALL the holes on my course. The 16th was the one left outstanding. Only taken me 5 years to do it. My eclectic for the course is 50. (Par 70). I expect you all can easily better that.
I'm not sure I've ever counted. Will get back to you.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 26 Jul 2023, 9:09 pm

super_realist wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:Qualifier off the back tees today. Didn't score very well (32 points) due to after effects of a bad cold earlier in the week. But I managed to birdie the 16th hole today (521 yards into the wind) with a driver, 3 wood, 3 wood and a monster putt. The point of this is that I have now birdied (or better) ALL the holes on my course. The 16th was the one left outstanding. Only taken me 5 years to do it. My eclectic for the course is 50. (Par 70). I expect you all can easily better that.
I'm not sure I've ever counted. Will get back to you.

I know I have birdied every hole plus eagled 7 (not counting eagles on winter greens - which would up the 7 to 9)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 27 Jul 2023, 5:42 am

That's incredible JAS. 7 eagles?
Best I can do is an eclectic of 46 on a par 71, I think that's only 4 eagles.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 27 Jul 2023, 7:35 pm

I once eagled 3 of the 4 par fives at my course in the same round. Sort of evened up the 3 double bogeys I had the same day! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 28 Jul 2023, 5:35 am

BlueCoverman wrote:I once eagled 3 of the 4 par fives at my course in the same round. Sort of evened up the 3 double bogeys I had the same day! Laugh
Had something similar, birdied the first three par 3's then shat the bed on the final one and took a five.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 28 Jul 2023, 11:51 am

super_realist wrote:That's incredible JAS. 7 eagles?
Best I can do is an eclectic of 46 on a par 71, I think that's only 4 eagles.

Not sure if you're deliberately miscounting but 25 under eclectic would surely be 7 eagles & 11 birdies, no? Headscratch

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Fri 28 Jul 2023, 11:56 am

My course is a 5,500 yard par 69, it has a reachable par 5 and 6 par 4's in the 260 - 300 yard range; I've only not eagled 5 of the holes on the course so my eclectic is a 31-under par 38! I have had 7 holes in 1, including 3 of the 4 par 3's, which helps; been a member there for 32 years so adds up to a lot of rounds.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 29 Jul 2023, 8:57 pm

Finally finally, a round without a double or worse, result, a win, same comp I won 2 years ago when I shot the 68 that got me down to 3. Very different today, 76 net 66 was enough (yes I was playing off 10 today for the first time in at least 16 years). Did I ride my luck? Yes once, was going massively left OOB on 9 but…paying back months worth of Poopie luck it bounced back off a tree into 1st cut, never looked back after that, birdied 10 and managed what have been my calamity holes well Think it’s enough to get me back to 9 for tomorrow. What’s on tomorrow?? only the 36 holer at Saunton, good 2-3 club wind today but tomorrow…up a couple of notches, gusting to 39 :-/

JAS

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 30 Jul 2023, 2:06 pm

Funny game, golf. Been playing absolute **** most of this season, but yesterday went out in the Medal and shot 73 off 4 in a stiff breeze and felt like I left at least 4 or 5 shots out there. Missed a number of short birdie putts and had a double bogey on the one hole where my earlier season driving re-appeared.

Made simple adjustment of ensuring hands forward of ball at address, which was pretty much the norm for mid/short irons anyway, but think I've been getting behind the ball w/ the longer clubs. Coincidence? Could be, but irons were all over the flags yesterday, ball striking was stupidly good and driving was back to the ~5 yard draw I vaguely remember from better days past. Now, if only this continues....

Edit: One downside - cracked my G400 LST driver near the hosel! Ack! Could have done w/o having to blow ~£170 on a new head. Ah well...

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Sun 30 Jul 2023, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 30 Jul 2023, 2:07 pm

JAS wrote:...What’s on tomorrow?? only the 36 holer at Saunton, good 2-3 club wind today but tomorrow…up a couple of notches, gusting to 39 :-/
Laugh Have fun at Saunton w/ winds like that. Just remember - it could be worse; you could be working!

Enjoy. I'm not jealous at all...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 30 Jul 2023, 8:44 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
JAS wrote:...What’s on tomorrow?? only the 36 holer at Saunton, good 2-3 club wind today but tomorrow…up a couple of notches, gusting to 39 :-/
Laugh Have fun at Saunton w/ winds like that. Just remember - it could be worse; you could be working!

Enjoy. I'm not jealous at all...

Finished last!! 45th out of 70, yep 25 NRs, more than a 3rd of the field, not conditions I can cope with anymore (we’ll never could in reality). When 6 over wins the gross and 4 over the Nett, yes it’s a tough day, at the height of the storm wind was actually strong enough to break my brolly shaft, hideous conditions can fully understand those who didn’t have a change of clothing not go out in 2nd round. I don’t personally do walking away but on days like today…there’s a case for it :-p

JAS

navyblueshorts and BlueCoverman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 30 Jul 2023, 10:10 pm

I’ve had rounds this year that have left confidence draining scars but actually, weirdly today was NOT 2 of them. On another day 8-9 more putts could drop, 5 reloads in 4-5 club winds would not be required. I actually can’t wait to tee it up again knowing that it will not be as tight as today!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 23 Aug 2023, 1:03 pm

Missed a couple of qualifiers recently due to a holiday and a cold. So today, for no other reason than it was a nice day, I decided to put in a general play card. What a good decision that was. 39 points. 3 under handicap even with a snowman on a par five. One or two other doubles, several pars and a birdie. I expect to be cut.

I'm never wrong

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 30 Aug 2023, 2:30 am

I had the good fortune of playing some links greats in Ireland last week. Weather was quite accommodating with some wind (to none on certain days) and very little rain. In order of play …

Lahinch – (first time) One of the finest links courses I’ve ever played. Inland holes had a very pleasant quirk factor and seaside holes were exceptional.

Ballybunion – (second time) Majestic, brawny and of true championship quality. That said, I am not and have never been a fan of such penal rough for day-to-day play. And I know it’s a nod to tradition and age, but holes that cross each other (or nearly do) get pretty tiresome.

Waterville – (second time) Played on a very benign day (very unlike my first play). A repeating symphony of fine holes. Really enjoyed it.

Tralee – (second time) My least favorite of all the courses. I felt some of the landing areas were incredibly tight and I would benefit from more repeated play. Not in the best of conditions.

Old Head – (third time) Ahh … the “Americanized” course that’s fashionable to dislike. I played it a super calm day so the exposed holes (nearly all) had little defense at times. Tom Doak, I recall, said it should have been a nine hole course, not eighteen. Boy, do I disagree and I found the variety of holes and shots and the use of spectacular views excellent. (Why would you not take advantage of those views?) Best post-golf F/B in the entire rota.

Portmarnock – (first time), Red and Yellow only. I could play this course almost every day. An easy play for sure, but plenty of challenge for the low cappers. The most penal of bunkers of all the courses.

Two more golf trips planned before the year is out: Reynolds Plantation next month and then LACC, Riviera and Sherwood in November.

Shotrock

JAS, BlueCoverman and I'm never wrong like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 31 Aug 2023, 2:37 pm

Shotrock wrote:I had the good fortune of playing some links greats in Ireland last week. Weather was quite accommodating with some wind (to none on certain days) and very little rain. In order of play …

Lahinch – (first time) One of the finest links courses I’ve ever played. Inland holes had a very pleasant quirk factor and seaside holes were exceptional.

Ballybunion – (second time) Majestic, brawny and of true championship quality. That said, I am not and have never been a fan of such penal rough for day-to-day play. And I know it’s a nod to tradition and age, but holes that cross each other (or nearly do) get pretty tiresome.

Waterville – (second time) Played on a very benign day (very unlike my first play). A repeating symphony of fine holes. Really enjoyed it.

Tralee – (second time) My least favorite of all the courses. I felt some of the landing areas were incredibly tight and I would benefit from more repeated play. Not in the best of conditions.

Old Head – (third time) Ahh … the “Americanized” course that’s fashionable to dislike. I played it a super calm day so the exposed holes (nearly all) had little defense at times. Tom Doak, I recall, said it should have been a nine hole course, not eighteen. Boy, do I disagree and I found the variety of holes and shots and the use of spectacular views excellent. (Why would you not take advantage of those views?) Best post-golf F/B in the entire rota.

Portmarnock – (first time), Red and Yellow only. I could play this course almost every day. An easy play for sure, but plenty of challenge for the low cappers. The most penal of bunkers of all the courses.

Two more golf trips planned before the year is out: Reynolds Plantation next month and then LACC, Riviera and Sherwood in November.

That's a trip and a half Shotrock, not jealous at all :-p Have you ever thought of doing Northwest rather than Southwest (taking in Ballyliffin & Rosapenna even venturing over the border to Portrush & Portstewart)? Must admit my ticklist of Ireland is pretty empty (only Enniscrone, Sligo and Lough Erne on a stag weekend about 8 years ago).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 31 Aug 2023, 4:22 pm

Excellent suggestion JAS. We are getting details for a trip to play the following next year:

Ardglass, Royal County Down, Castlerock, Ballyliffin and Portstewart.

Portrush would be a great add.

Shotrock

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 04 Sep 2023, 9:57 am

Things certainly turning the corner for me, decent 75 Sat, runner up in comp but most pleasing aspect was 11 Fairways off the tee and 11 greens (not brilliant but ok and a significant improvement on where I’ve been. 3 birdies but the amount of 2-3 in taps ins suggested sub 70 was on!!
Sunday was a bit different, county divisional event at Kingsdown (where I think I might move to if I move clubs) Only 8 girs but again 3 birdies and again a clutch of 2-3 inch tap ins. Got done in by a couple of complete head fart triples but still managed to finish 4th, discard either triple and I was walking away with some individual county silverware. Given that the winner and 3rd was from my club and me being 4th meant that our club won the team shield though so all in all a good weekend and down to 7.1 from the high water mark of 8.7 just over a month ago.
What’s changed? I think form just ebbs and flows but also (and this may be just a coincidence) I’d been aware that I’d become the unfittest I’ve ever been. I resolved and committed to get myself into a better state and I’m now exercising regularly. I generally just feel better, less lethargic, more alert. In my head I think it’s helped but who knows.

JAS

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next