The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+18
Dolphin Ziggler
James100
westisbest
It Must Be Love
sirfredperry
JDizzle
LondonTiger
No name Bertie
alfie
Nathaniel Jacobs
Duty281
Soul Requiem
VTR
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
Galted
Gooseberry
KP_fan
22 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 14 Empty Rest of the World

Post by KP_fan Sat 10 Aug - 20:00

First topic message reminder :

Rahkeem Cornwall makes it to West Indies Test squad
He is an all-rounder from the islands of Antigua and is perhaps the heaviest cricketer ever. He stands at a towering height of 6’6” and weighs around 140 kg.

Cornwall made his first-class debut in 2014 and has since become a regular for Leewards Islands, even captaining them earlier this year. He has 260 wickets from 55 first-class matches and finished as the leading bowler in the most recent regional four-day tournament.

Rest of the World - Page 14 _a076010
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 14 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 3:36

Beautiful bowling from Ashwin......completely deceived Labuschagne
Facing ashwin is like facing 3 bowlers...given hiss variations on display

KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 3:38

...that was a joke , by the way. Ashwin has had him twice cheaply ; but not for a moment do I underrate Smith. If Ashwin can get him again now it is Game Over...but you'd think Smith has an innings due - which would make it very much Game On.

Crucial next hour. India got overexcited there and wasted a review on a very hopeful shout against Wade...might regret that later.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 3:39

what a screwed up review...looked like pitching outside leg....and was a foot outside leg
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 28 Dec - 3:40

Excellent bowling from Ashwin. Followed up by one of the worst reviews ever seen.

If Australia ever needed a top innings from Smith...

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 3:46

Think Warne is rather contradicting himself over drs.

On the one hand he says lbw should be given as "out" if any part of the ball is seen as hitting , rather than depending on umpires call. Which would tend to advantage a bowling team .On the other he advocates only one review being available .

So does he want to encourage or discourage "tactical" reviews ? More or less of the technology ?

That argument will run and run...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 3:56

alfie wrote:Think Warne is rather contradicting himself over drs.

On the one hand he says lbw should be given as "out" if any part of the ball is seen as hitting , rather than depending on umpires call.  

i am withh Warne on this
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 4:05

Ashwin v Smith is riveting to watch.

So nearly had him in identical fashion to the first innings then !

This duel may well decide the match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 4:08

KP_fan wrote:

On the one hand he says lbw should be given as "out" if any part of the ball is seen as hitting , rather than depending on umpires call.  

i am withh Warne on this

I'm a bowler ; but I don't agree with that view ...though I can understand why a lot of people find the notion of umpires call a bit annoying/unsatisfactory . Never mind . Will debate it at length one day when there's no action to watch maybe...we are stuck with it for now in any case.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 4:10

Rahane needs to bring spinners in tandem......seamers ain't too effective
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 4:13

Survived to tea. Half the deficit gone for two wickets. 50-50 session.

Ashwin bowling a treat. Wade gutsy ; Smith working hard.

Gripping stuff. Stay tuned thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 4:15

alfie wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

i am withh Warne on this

I'm a bowler ; but I don't agree with that view ...though I can understand why a lot of people find the notion of umpires call a bit annoying/unsatisfactory .  Never mind . Will debate it at length one day when there's no action to watch maybe...we are stuck with it for now in any case.

An intense session inspite of ball not doing much for seamers.....nor too much spin
Rahane...for the first time not reading the game & pitch and situation well enuf...shoudl havae brought jadeja instead of return of bumrah
Bumrah himsefl has looked off color
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 4:48

Bumrah begs to differ , KP_fan Smile

Bowls Smith behind his legs and India have one hand on the win...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 4:51

...and very nearly has Head first ball ! Viscious lifter to the new man ...somehow lobbed over close field.

Still sixty behind. Pressure right on these two...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 4:58

I see Rizwan and Faheem are making a game of it across the ditch...up to 169/6 now.
If they can get another sixty odd and save the follow on things get a bit more complicated for the Kiwis.
Still reckon they will fancy getting a result provided the weather doesn't chop time out of the game.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 5:14

Jadeja into the attack now. Rahane really had to bring him in eventually as he won't want to exhaust his remaining two fast bowlers...but he's been understandably reluctant to do so given Head's far better record against spin than pace.
So spin from both ends it is...still 42 runs in arrears.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 5:28

Will be interesting to see how long the spin pair operate together. The truth is it is a pretty rare occurrence for a pair of visiting spinners to achieve success in Australia.
In fact I'm struggling to remember a combination that actually got a result here. Underwood and Illingworth perhaps...and that was fifty years ago ! Edmonds and Emburey did well too , and that was only 35 years back.
For India , the excellent group of spinners led by Bishen Bedi were pretty effective in the seventies...but they couldn't get a series result ; though that was hardly their fault.

In the here and now : These two don't have to wreck the innings...but they need to break this pair up to open up an end. At the moment Head and Wade are resisting pretty well , despite a few balls beating the bat. Still 36 behind...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 5:34

Jadeja strikes ! Pins Wade lbw with a quicker one...

Wade calls a review but I reckon he's stone dead...yes , three reds. Was a desperation review which was reflected in his expression as he called it.

Of course since Burns burned one earlier Australia are down to one referral now so hope that doesn't come back to haunt them.

Massive pressure on young Green now at four for minus 33...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 5:43

alfie wrote:Bumrah begs to differ , KP_fan Smile

yeah I took a nap...and wake up to find Smith, wade and now Head gone.

Aus staring at an innings defeat Cool
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 5:44

More admirable captaincy from Rahane...Siraj brought back immediately with Wade gone ...and immediately he snares Head to leave Australia in some danger of losing this one today.

Was a poor shot , but one fairly typical of the way Head plays.

Good bowling change thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 5:46

alfie wrote:More admirable captaincy from Rahane...Siraj brought back immediately with Wade gone ...and immediately he snares Head to leave Australia in some danger of losing this one today.

Was a poor shot , but one fairly typical of the way Head plays.

Good bowling change thumbsup

All my "selected" batsmen yet to come Very Happy
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 5:48

KP_fan wrote:
alfie wrote:Bumrah begs to differ , KP_fan Smile

yeah I took a nap...and wake up to find Smith, wade and now Head gone.

Aus staring at an innings defeat Cool

I fancy they'll make India bat again...but probably not needing too many. Somehow doubt they'll be bowling India out for 36 again so you'd think this is going to be one all tonight or early tomorrow.

Unless The Old Skipper and the Young Gun can provide a miracle...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 5:51

Jadeja thinks he has Paine...

Think he has too ! Good review ...six down and you might be right about the innings result , KP_fan Smile

Pant was sure : Paine was shocked. No spot on hot spot...clear spike on Snicko...which technology do you trust ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 5:53

Pitch is scuffed up enuf for jadeja to start getting it to spin......the bounce has always been there
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 5:57

Yes KP_fan...Australia will need BIG runs from your "selected batsmen" now...

Commentators will debate that call for hours. But honestly : if foot scraping on the ground equals bat edge noise and can't be distinguished - why use it as evidence at all ?

In truth I do not love any of this technology apart from the line calls. But you either use it or not - can't pick and choose according to mood.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 5:59

alfie wrote:Yes KP_fan...Australia will need BIG runs from your "selected batsmen" now...

Commentators will debate that call for hours. But honestly : if foot scraping on the ground equals bat edge noise and can't be distinguished - why use it as evidence at all ?

In truth I do not love any of this technology apart from the line calls. But you either use it or not - can't pick and choose according to mood.

they are clutching on to straws
foot slides on the ground all the time....never produced a clear spike like it did today
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 6:08

another LBW for Jadeja could come anytime.....the way Green is going back and Cummins across their stumps
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 6:16

KP_fan wrote:
alfie wrote:Yes KP_fan...Australia will need BIG runs from your "selected batsmen" now...

foot slides on the ground all the time....never produced a clear spike like it did today

I wouldn't say "never" . We often see peculiar ripples on Snicko which are not clearly explained (and remember we rarely see the thing unless there is a review or a controversy) so I frankly distrust it as a means of decision making. But of course we also see claims that hot spot isn't always totally reliable so how much reliance do you place in either ? And should either automatically overturn the on field umpire's call unless there is also clear visual evidence ? For all the science , we probably have to accept that occasionally injustices are done - just as they were in the horse and buggy days when The a Umpire's Decision Was Final.

I suspect that horse has bolted...

Meanwhile Faheem Ashraf has somewhat improbably saved the follow on for Pakistan with a fighting 86 not out ...Pakistan now 234/8. clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 28 Dec - 6:43

Faheem fell short of a deserved hundred. But at least NZ will have to bat with intent and time a declaration now. And their bowlers will need to back up late tomorrow.
Some chance Pakistan might force a draw.

Australia will be hoping for one of those remarkable "Tail wagging gets a surprise 150 lead and chasing team implodes" things. But I reckon the odds would be up there with Headingley 1981.

India would love one of these tonight.Just five more overs...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 28 Dec - 11:17

On the one hand he says lbw should be given as "out" if any part of the ball is seen as hitting , rather than depending on umpires call.  Which would tend to advantage a bowling team .On the other he advocates only one review being available .

So does he want to encourage or discourage "tactical" reviews ? More or less of the technology ?

That argument will run and run...

You just know that if they got rid of umpires call, and had everything hitting or clipping the stumps as out, Warne would be the first to say on an LBW “that’s never hitting, shouldn’t be out”...
Personally think DRS is fine. Is it perfect? No. But umpires call is there acknowledging a bit of margin of error in the technology...which I think is fine. Could be like football/VAR and have 100% faith in the technology and you’d get people moaning still...(and actually I think football has shown that is far far worse with these offside line rubbish)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 28 Dec - 11:25

KP_fan wrote:

Also people seem to be putting a lot of faith into the “batsmen know when they’ve hit it” narrative, which as we are aware, is total Love sacks.
Heck even yesterday Henry Nicholls was given out, it clearly just hit him on the forearm only, NZ had all their reviews...and he didn’t review because he thought he’d hit it, when in fact he was nowhere near it!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 28 Dec - 11:27

alfie wrote:Faheem fell short of a deserved hundred. But at least NZ will have to bat with intent and time a declaration now.  And their bowlers will need to back up late tomorrow.
Some chance Pakistan might force a draw.

Lead almost 200 and they have 2 days left, it would be shoddy not to win. Two sessions to get the lead to 400 then 4 sessions to bowl out a side that only lasted 100 overs in the first innings. Its a very slim chance for Pakistan, possibly Wagners broken toe could be the glimmer they need?

Sri Lanka in absolute meltdown with another bowler injury. SA should win comfortably from here despite what looked like a solid first innings total for SL

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 28 Dec - 11:31

There is too much tolerance in ball tracking however. I've mentioned it before but in Smith's first innings in the 2019 ashes he was plumb LBW but not given and was umpires call despite it clattering into leg stump.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 28 Dec - 11:39

Gooseberry wrote:
Sri Lanka in absolute meltdown with another bowler injury. SA should win comfortably from here despite what looked like a solid first innings total for SL

And another one looks like he might be gone.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 28 Dec - 12:59

Oh, Smith did fail again. And India's bowling and fielding as a unit has been spectacular in this test. Australia are going to need Cameron Green to show his FC form to make a game of it. Maybe they can take heart from Pakistan; they produced a seventh wicket stand of over 100, though NZ still look like winning that one.

Sri Lanka appear to have had the worst luck with injuries that I've ever seen a test team have. Cruel for them after a good first-innings effort.

On DRS, I'm more than happy to keep umpire's call. I certainly wouldn't want a system where a tiny fraction of the ball clipping the top corner of leg stump is 'out' every single time.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 28 Dec - 13:31

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/india-vs-australia-icc-needs-to-look-into-drs-thoroughly-sachin-tendulkar-unhappy-with-umpire-s-call-rule/story-TNZTo7c9l7G05phk8cR1eN.html

Tendulkar is not happy with Umpire's call rule as it stands now Shocked
when he speaks BCCI listens
when BCCI speaks ICC listens.

While my view has been same as Warne's for a long time....Tendulkars' is knee-jerkism because two decisions went against India
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 28 Dec - 13:46

Duty281 wrote:Oh, Smith did fail again.

Expertly timed dip in form to coincide with him being named cricketer of the decade

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 28 Dec - 14:11

Think Australia need to send Smith back to Shield cricket till around February 2022, just so he can find some form

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 28 Dec - 14:51

Gooseberry wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Oh, Smith did fail again.

Expertly timed dip in form to coincide with him being named cricketer of the decade

How can a proven cheat be named cricketer of the decade?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 28 Dec - 17:22

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
KP_fan wrote:

Also people seem to be putting a lot of faith into the “batsmen know when they’ve hit it” narrative, which as we are aware, is total Love sacks.
Heck even yesterday Henry Nicholls was given out, it clearly just hit him on the forearm only, NZ had all their reviews...and he didn’t review because he thought he’d hit it, when in fact he was nowhere near it!

Similar case today. Bavuma on 71 and walks due to edging behind...but he got nowhere near the ball!

https://youtu.be/MmZO6Abf04U?t=148

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Mon 28 Dec - 18:22

As Olly says, hopefully the Bavuma and Watling cases will put to rest the myth that "a batsman always knows whether he's hit it", which is clearly rubbish but is still trotted out all the time to slate batsmen spending reviews on faint nicks.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 29 Dec - 0:06

ashwin is bowling with guiles and should take the new ball
Bumrah is lakcing peak rythm and that shows in his dropped pace
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Dec - 0:11

Aussie pair battling away this morning...not scoring (11 in ten overs) , but obviously these two are desperate to be there for the new ball...sensible tactic as the later trio probably wouldn't fare too well against it.
India burn a referall too as a fairly hopeful review turns out to be going down leg.

Bit early to be thinking of v Pakistan 2010 but hope springs , etc...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 29 Dec - 0:15

I think that is a fair enough tactic - if they had a bit more time before the new ball I would advocate being a bit more aggressive, but when it was just over 10 overs you gain far more by these two being there then trying to score a few more runs.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 29 Dec - 0:16

Next target - see off Bumrah with the new ball. And then see where you are.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 Dec - 0:27

I see the aussie commentators are already talking about Green being better than Stokes...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Dec - 0:28

At KP_fan's urging , Rahane gives Ashwin the new ball...

I'd have given Siraj a couple of overs , but I can see the argument.

Anyway Bumrah has done for Cummins with a good fiece lifter clap

Was a fine concentration based innings from Pat but India will feel they have an end open now...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 29 Dec - 0:31

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I see the aussie commentators are already talking about Green being better than Stokes...

Not commentators...but one weird guy....and I am sure other are turning red in embarrassment in the box
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 29 Dec - 0:31

Cummins goes at last, relief for India who might have been starting to get concerned. Excellent short ball from Bumrah. Green certainly looks a highly promising prospect - already showing a mature temperament and solid defensive game. Might not be too long before he needs to swing the bat if Australia are to have any hope.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Dec - 0:36

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I see the aussie commentators are already talking about Green being better than Stokes...

Well it has been a long time since they had a (potential ) "real" all rounder , as opposed to bats who bowl a bit like Marsh or bowlers who aren't total rabbits. So you can understand them getting a bit excited.

Heaps a lot of expectation on a young player though. Rather like the poor England players who kept getting saddled with "A new Botham" as their Tagline until they imploded...

Green has at least got himself in and will be happy to have passed thirty this morning...he is playing a good gutsy knock for his team thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 29 Dec - 0:47

Warne & co getting excited as the lead passes 36 Smile

It's been a good effort this morning and if they can see off Bumrah there is potential for the remaining wickets to add quite a few more.

But the counter point is there is not a lot happening for the bowlers as the pitch has slowed so even a modest chase of something over a hundred shouldn't present too many problems for India.

In any case it is giving the spectators something for their money thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next