The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs

+6
RDW
tigertattie
BigGee
Tramptastic
LondonTiger
jimbopip
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs - Page 2 Empty Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs

Post by jimbopip Mon 06 Jan 2020, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs

Scotstoun Saturday 11/1/20 15:15

T.V. Coverage; well, since Channel 4 have opted to show the Hairsprays V The Cheats From North London this match will be somewhere on Sky....but I don't have that so oh yeah

Is this Cowboy Dave's last opportunity to lasso some success at Glasgow? If we lose on Saturday we will be out of the tournament before the final group game. This couldn't in any way be considered progress from where the team was when he took over. Similarly, although we are sitting above the Cheetahs in Conference A they have two games in hand, both against the Southern Kings, so we could easily end up in the Diddy Cup next season. Not even Dominic Cummings could sell that as progress.

In contrast Execeterr just keep making steady progress under Rob Baxter. Having visited Sandy Park twice and enjoyed both occasions I must say I like almost everything about the set up there and think Glasgow could learn a lot from the way they run their club. The only thing I find impossible to love is the way they actually play rugby. To my Caledonian eyes it's too English; big forwards smashing it up and lots of tries from pick and goes from less than 5 metres out. I think RB tries to remedy this, by signing the likes of Niko and Hoggy...not to mention the fleet footed wizard that was Moray Low, but the constraints of playing in England mean he has to play in an English style.

So, the Cowboy's Last Stand🥝 against The Cheifs. Chief

I think I shall limit my ill-informed and jaundiced ramblings to the stat of Glasgow Warriors and hopefully some equally one-eyed Devonian will weigh in to provide some sense of balance. Or some sense.

So, will Cowboy Dave continue to be the anti-Tombola or will he shake things up a bit?
Who are we kidding? Unless there are injuries he will go with the usual suspects.

1. Kebble/ SueEllen Kebble looked like the second most unfit player on the pitch on Saturday; he was narrowly beaten to it by a 39 year old semi-retired loosehead playing his first game in years who actually scrummaged better than him. SueEllen has played very well in the loose since joining but was caught out by a team who could scrummage. They'll surely share the game.
2. Turner/Brown DR prefers Brown but his throwing this season has been as inaccurate as labour's opinion polls. Turner was excellent against Treviso but will probably warm the bench.
3. Ragnar Here's where the problems start. Nicol had 3 matches in a row where he didn't get off the bench then started in Treviso because Ragnar was Cream Crackered. He was then comprehensively taken apart in the scrums. Is he ready to face Execeterr? D'Arcy Rae is "unavailable" because(a) an arm/hand injury has ruled him out until March, (b) he is still on the run from Police Scotland (allegedly) (c) he is off filming a remake of The Fugitive in which he plays both the eponymous hero and the One Armed Man. This leaves us with Petrus Du Plessis....don't laugh, he rescued our scrum on Saturday. As Schiz once said of a previous prop "he can't run the length of his jersey but by Christ he can push".
4. Ickle Jonny in his last European tie at Scotstoun against his future employers.
5. Cummings. Future Scotland captain and club legend to be.

DR has been as faithful as Adolf Hitler to Eva Braun when it comes to his back row this season; Big bad Bob, Batman, Batman's Husband & Middle Fagerson. Now Batman has just started 9 matches in a row and Flockhart and Gordon were outstanding on Saturday. So, will he make any changes? I predict
6. Big Bad for bulk and aggression against Execeterr's big pack
7. Batman's Husband for brutality at the breakdown
8. Batman just to annoy anyone who lives south of Bristol Middle Fagerson to bench, with Tom Gordon too. Big Bad can cover lock.

9. Aldi Price/ Wee George. If Why is in the 23 the match is lost before it begins.
10. Haircut Furra Linee to provide 10/12 cover

11. Niko
12. Johnson
13. Not A Pony
14. Seymour/DTH depending on fitness one starting one benching.
15. Rhuaridh

Can Glasgow win and give DR a chance of salvaging something from a season which could easily fizzle out like the proverbial damp squib? Possibly, but the smart money must be on Execeterr.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs - Page 2 Empty Re: Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:34 pm

31-24 Exeter and with the BP, they win the group

Maybe they will ease off now?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs - Page 2 Empty Re: Cowboy Dave's Gunslingers V The Culturally Misappropriated Chiefs

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:36 pm

Poite is not doing us any favours today, there was no need to call that lineout

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:39 pm

Poite has decided we are not going to win this game, he is being ridiculously pedantic and trying to ruin a good game

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:44 pm

Well if we lose this game, we do with our heads held high

That's our BP, just need to win now

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:44 pm

Bet Channel 4 wish they’d picked this match eh
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:46 pm

a push over try and Hastings kicks it from the touchline

31 all

BP in the bag, we just need to win now

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:47 pm

Glasgow fans really need to cut the booing

Too much too often
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:53 pm

Can they?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:54 pm

and Johnson scores our 5th in the corner

Going to be checked, probably forward

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:54 pm

And they crowd go booooooo
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:54 pm

no try

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 11 Jan 2020, 4:56 pm

Roman is awful, cannot be allowed to Ref in the 6 nations.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:05 pm

and fancy that, Poite gives the scrum to Exeter

Hoggy taking a kick from their 10 metre line

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:07 pm

He hits the crossbar, Glasgow run it bavk and it goes out

31 all at FT

Exeter win their group

Glasgow out, despite three points

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:10 pm

What a game! Draw probably fair.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:14 pm

Probably a bit premature, we are not out mathematically yet, but a lot of results would need to go our way, not very likely but makes it worthwhile turning up next weekend

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:17 pm

That was one of the worst displays of refereeing I have ever had the misfortune to witness. Johnson's try? I think the ball is forward when it leaves haircut's hands but the wind seems to bring it back to Harley, so it could have gone either way. But it wasn't just one big call: it was the huge amount of little calls he got wrong. The only consistency he showed was in being clueless. i was pining for Clownshoes by the end.

I was also praying that DR would give Gibbins the shepherd's crook and put Chuckles in the back row and Fitter & Turner in the front row.
Gibbins got on Poite's wrong side early on and contrived to stay there for the rest of the match.
I don't think any side will go through on 17 points. If we have a chance DR needs to go for it but I think that by end of play tomorrow we'll be out of the running.

A cracker of a game though. Pity about the ref.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:18 pm

Other than the result, quite a lot of positives

Horne, Hastings and Steyn great in our backs and where has Glen Bryce been hiding, he was the best FB on the pitch today, no question!

Gibbins probably cost us the game with his stupidity and I hope he picks Gordon next week if he is fit. Otherwise our pack held up well, when we got the front foot ball we looked very dangerous, but boy are Exeter a handful when they are 5m out, do they ever not score from there?

Last edited by BigGee on Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:18 pm

BigGee wrote:Probably a bit premature, we are not out mathematically yet, but a lot of results would need to go our way, not very likely but makes it worthwhile turning up next weekend

If you find you have a spare ticket... Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 11 Jan 2020, 5:29 pm

jimbopip wrote:
BigGee wrote:Probably a bit premature, we are not out mathematically yet, but a lot of results would need to go our way, not very likely but makes it worthwhile turning up next weekend

If you find you have a spare ticket... Hug

I was thinking more about the team actually, my son was at uni in Manchester, so we are going with him and a few of his mates, I have promised to fund a curry, so I don't think there is any chance of me getting out of it!

I hope we do go all in though, we are starting to play a lot better and to show a bit of form and it will be important to build on that for the rest of the season.

I will be watching the results over the rest of the weekend with great interest.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 12 Jan 2020, 8:16 am

I think real questions need to be asked on what Gibbins brings to the team. He's not effective on the pitch and should have been sent off for s stupid hit. He also completely alienated the ref which is never good for a captain!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 12 Jan 2020, 8:19 am

I think most Glasgow fans would now be picking Tom Gordon as the starting OS over Gibbins. Hopefully he is fir to go next weekend.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 12 Jan 2020, 11:26 am

RDW wrote:I think real questions need to be asked on what Gibbins brings to the team. He's not effective on the pitch and should have been sent off for s stupid hit. He also completely alienated the ref which is never good for a captain!

Flounder, I said something very similar on the GW FB page. You should have heard the screams of protest. You would think I had shot Bambi's mother. In fact i may call him that from now on: as in it wasn't murder it was a cull, eh? As i may have said earlier I was hoping DR would replace Bambi's Mum with Chuckles then either Chuckles or Turner could hook and the other play back row. But obviously DR was "rapt with the intensity and brutality he brought to the game."

The hit was stupid and he may well be cited for it, or whatever they call the review whereby if you're not from Dublin and you buy your biscuits in a "value" supermarket your yellow card gets upgraded and you get a six week holiday. However, pissing off the ref and then engaging in a 70 bitchfest with him is unacceptable in a captain. I'm sure at one point the ref mike picked up ,
"Do we have to have onion soup again? That's three times this week."
"Well, if you would take your muddy boots off my kitchen table I would be able to cook properly. Although why I should bother when you never notice anything I do for you. Always it is, Oi Romain! When can we have some lamb chops?. What is it with you and lamb chops?"

Also, the scrum was much more stable once Big Bad came on.

If Batman starts next week that will be his twelfth (12) start in a row. Surely he needs a rest?

Let's go Flockhart-Fagerson-Gordon and really ring the changes.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 12 Jan 2020, 11:52 am

Ah that's you're own fault Jimbo for posting on the Glasgow Facebook page and expecting a sensible debate!

My personal favourite was the Scottish rugby Facebook page where some bloke said Adam Hastings was over rated and we have much better options. He wasn't able to name any of said options...

On Hastings - I thought he was superb and really varied the attack. It's a shame for him he's in the same generation as one of our best ever 10s.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 12 Jan 2020, 12:17 pm

Aye. thumbsup

Having said that Bambi's Mum was less than good captain material after his yellow I was told I had it in for him after one incident.

Because that's what you do, you follow a team just so you can "have it in for" a player. picard

p.s. what's with the "Thanks" button?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 12 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm

Found a full match replay, that Gibbins elbow to the head of vermeulen was a pretty clear cut red card. I don't think he's a bad player but Glasgow already have a penalty magnet in Wilson and I think they're too similar as players. For 2020-2021 season they could do with a high quality backrow signing.

Poor Huw Jones, not once but twice unable to grab the ball with a chance to score, the second being a dead cert. Very strange the way the ball rolled without bouncing up but that second one, even just a little dink on his foot might have been a better option. He did the right thing though, appearing to take his time but just very unlucky with that slippery ball.

Glenn Bryce really put his hand up for a Scotland recall. He looked brilliant for Glasgow and should really be FB for the remainder of the season. Fagerson, Z looked very impressive! Best I've seen him play all season. Kebble was excellent too, I am looking forward to his qualification he'll really help out the LH position for Scotland.

The last play from Glasgow, you can't see if Fusaro's foot went out of play at the end because a camera mans head is in the way of where it feasibly may have made contact with the grass over the sideline. Pretty unlucky though because plenty of times that would not be out in Pro14 or Premiership and simply play on. It wasn't a great day for the officials really with quite a few blunders overall.

Shame for Glasgow, they played a very good game and ran Exeter ragged but it was just the little things really. Lots of positives from that match.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 12 Jan 2020, 1:43 pm

bsando wrote:Glenn Bryce really put his hand up for a Scotland recall. He looked brilliant for Glasgow and should really be FB for the remainder of the season. Fagerson, Z looked very impressive! Best I've seen him play all season. Kebble was excellent too, I am looking forward to his qualification he'll really help out the LH position for Scotland.

What sort of dystopian hell is this?! Admittedly I’ve not seen the game yet, but you don’t go from being Mr nobody to being in Scotland contention on the strength of one game. We’re not that desperate, yet!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:18 pm

I don't know about a Scotland recall, but I am just happy to have had someone put in a performance for us at FB. If he can make the FB shirt his own for the rest of this season, then good luck to him and lets see what happens.

He was definitely the better of the two full backs o the pitch yesterday, the other one did not really make much of an impression other than a missed kick!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:22 pm

The chiefs style of play isn't really suiting Hogg - he's not used much in the wider channels. I wonder if he's starting to get frustrated.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:29 pm

To be fair, he has been getting plenty of ball jn hand every time i have seen them play.

In those conditions, they just decided to stick it up the jumper and it seemed to work for them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 12 Jan 2020, 3:53 pm

He gets ball in hand bit it's from people kicking to him, then there's not much space to run back to.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 12 Jan 2020, 5:06 pm

Well Racing have given Glasgow a bit of a lifeline by beating Munster and putting them out.

Munster a maximum of 16 points now.

If Racing can beat Sarries next week, a tall order admittedly or if Lyon decide to turn up against Saints, that opens a window for us.

At least it means we can go to Manchester all guns blazing.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2