The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger Mayweather

5 posters

Go down

Roger Mayweather Empty Roger Mayweather

Post by hampo17 Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Just heard that he's passed away. Sad news indeed.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Roger Mayweather Empty Re: Roger Mayweather

Post by Derbymanc Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:26 pm

https://topclassboxing.co.uk/2020/03/17/roger-mayweather-passes-away-aged-58/?fbclid=IwAR3JQBz5U63XV5TWJVnTeEAHwbSaZ333uLG1mgNc0A4wWETHQq1X-VDYS9M

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Probably the highest praise you can give Roger is that he was the only person to give arguably the greatest Lightweight ever Sweet Pea a competitive fight at 135...Considering fighters like Nelson were schooled it is no mean feat.

Boxed the ears off Pazienza at 140 who would go on to win four ABC titles at as high as 160...Even dumped Lou Duva on his backside after the fight for good measure..

Perhaps best known as the Mexican destroyer after beating Arredonda and his mates at 140...Gave Chavez a fight at the Forum too before Jesse Reid his trainer got kicked out of his corner for picking JC up and throwing him..

Yes he was WBC 130 champ too and he lost to Lockridge and Chavez early but I give him a slight pass on those because he had no resistance there....Much better fighter at 140..

Career unfortunately that was put back because of stupid losses to inferior fighters like Pendleton (Great KO though)..

In good times a clinic against the talented former P4Per Bramble..

Always outspoken....Always Colorful and the 2nd best Mayweather in the family..

I won't miss Roger I didn't know him...but I will miss the fact another mainstay of my Boxing upbringing has departed..

Thank you for the memories Roger...An entertainer and two time Champion.....Sleep well my friend..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:49 pm

I never liked Floyd Jr but my god the man was a talent, and to make that talent solid he needed a decent trainer. Roger had a pretty decent background as a fighter as Truss mentions above but it was training Floyd in my eyes where he really shone. A real character and a loss to boxing.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm

R.I.P. Roger Mayweather.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down